kopo79

Basebuilding....why?

Basebuilding,what i have read,its one of the most waited feature in game.
i have seen some art pictures about bases  and they seem big,with electricity and stuff.
so,you gather wood,metal,generators,etc and then its ready,what is your benefits from the base?
you see so much trouble to build one but is there some reward?

• Like 1

Same as all survival games, a place to call home, store you loots and to defend against raiders.

• Like 2

I'm really looking forward to base building because it gives you an "home". Not only that, there will be simple bases and advanced bases. Of course a solo player goes for the simple base but I'm going for the advanced one to keep myself occupied with DayZ. :)

• Like 2

The benefit depends on how hard it is for other players to break into or destroy your base. Some of the solutions you see in other games or mods kind of clash with DayZ mantra of 'no safe space'.

I don't know about building them, but I'm looking forward to raiding and camping them.

• Like 3

In PVE or private server or singleplayer they can work well and be cool to build. But there's nothing to gain in normal hostile DayZ environment in my opinion.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

I too can't wait to be a racoon and go through people's stuff in there camp. I hope we can do things to camps of a sneaky nature like poisoning the water supply, destroying generators or poisoning the food supply, sabotaging there weapons stash then sit on a hill and watch them all kill each other over trust issues. Be the little ant that brings down a elephant.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 4

Base building and trade skills has been the #1 requested thing in all survival games. The majority of players, involved in ARK, Conan, Arma 3, Arma 2, Life is Feudal, Elder scrolls, 7 days to die, Finding Bigfoot, Miscreated, The Forest, The long dark, Subsistence, Survive the nights, are just a small handful of very successful building games. A place to call home, a place to call base, a storage area. But we will never forget games like Mind-craft, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, Shadow bane, MMO for introducing ideas of base building, guild housing etc.. It is a #1 feature in most games being built today.

It has been adopting for over 20 years now, and has progressed to a new high. We now have the ability to build something, other then just plain "walking simulators" game play or PVP FPS games. We have the ability to make our characters different from each other. I wish dayz would allow us to make our characters differently, then just a simple mouse movement/ aim/ speed of the mouse, FPS type game. But it would require a change again, that i don't believe the devs are willing to go that far.

I personally have had the honors to experiment in many of these games the different base building and character improvements over the last 30 years.

Every game usually starts with some storage container, such as a backpack to a house, or mil base.

If we want to progress further and provide more things to do in survival we need base building and character customization, and skill progressions. Otherwise Survival by itself can be rather dull.

16 hours ago, -Gews- said:

The benefit depends on how hard it is for other players to break into or destroy your base. Some of the solutions you see in other games or mods kind of clash with DayZ mantra of 'no safe space'.

I don't know about building them, but I'm looking forward to raiding and camping them.

I hope they don't make it too easy to get in someone's base. Of course there need to be ways to get in otherwise it will be implemented badly. I do hope they stay away from "oh look, a base. Alright, let's just do this and this aaaaand I'm in". But I'm hoping with the addition of the stamina system it won't be so easy to finds bases as it has been. In fact, I think even less people will look for bases because it will be a lot more boring.

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

Base building and trade skills has been the #1 requested thing in all survival games. The majority of players, involved in ARK, Conan, Arma 3, Arma 2, Life is Feudal, Elder scrolls, 7 days to die, Finding Bigfoot, Miscreated, The Forest, The long dark, Subsistence, Survive the nights, are just a small handful of very successful building games. A place to call home, a place to call base, a storage area. But we will never forget games like Mind-craft, EQ, EQ2, DAOC, Shadow bane, MMO for introducing ideas of base building, guild housing etc.. It is a #1 feature in most games being built today.

It has been adopting for over 20 years now, and has progressed to a new high. We now have the ability to build something, other then just plain "walking simulators" game play or PVP FPS games. We have the ability to make our characters different from each other. I wish dayz would allow us to make our characters differently, then just a simple mouse movement/ aim/ speed of the mouse, FPS type game. But it would require a change again, that i don't believe the devs are willing to go that far.

I personally have had the honors to experiment in many of these games the different base building and character improvements over the last 30 years.

Every game usually starts with some storage container, such as a backpack to a house, or mil base.

If we want to progress further and provide more things to do in survival we need base building and character customization, and skill progressions. Otherwise Survival by itself can be rather dull.

Let's be honest here, DayZ, while still in an early stadium has already a big plus in character customization and that is the shit ton of clothing which the game has. Almost no one looks the same, everyone has their own personal style of clothing which makes this game so great. Even though everyone looks different, you still need to memorize the entire kit of your buddies because memorizing only one piece of clothing won't suffice.

Not only does everyone look different, it is hard to tell what the intentions of someone are. Of course there are some stereotypes like the clowns masks being a bandit, etc. but you will never know the true intention of someone unless you're going to try and find out. A person with a clown mask might be friendly while the person in full leather kit is really a bandit.

That's why I hope DayZ isn't getting any form of character title/status/kit like the mod has with the bandit, survivor and hero.

• Like 1

There will always be wanderers, who need nothing but the grass for a pillow.  There will always be those who need a little bolt hole, somewhere to call home.  And there will always be those who want to build a gleaming city on the hill, for they drive towards civilisation.

And of course, there are always those who seek to tear it all down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IMT said:

while the person in full leather kit is really a bandit.

What exactly are you trying to say here? Lol

I'm just hoping that by the time basebuilding materials are put into the spawn tables. we will have reliable means of transporting them.  Last time I took a supply run to Tisy, my preferred vehicle lacked the acceleration to make it down from the reserved parking lot.
That is until after a server restart, at which point it dropped through the ramp... and the ground.  F8

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

What exactly are you trying to say here? Lol

I'm just hoping that by the time basebuilding materials are put into the spawn tables. we will have reliable means of transporting them.  Last time I took a supply run to Tisy, my preferred vehicle lacked the acceleration to make it down from the reserved parking lot.
That is until after a server restart, at which point it dropped through the ramp... and the ground.  F8

That everyone assumes someone who is in a full leather kit is friendly but they may in fact be bandits. :)

3 minutes ago, IMT said:

That everyone assumes someone who is in a full leather kit is friendly but they may in fact be bandits. :)

Yeah, the kind of bandits who hold up random survivors and insist that they eat some delicious boiled steaks and take some extra ammo with them.

Who knows what really comes when it is finished. Who knows if we do not need a base to be safe. What if the influences of the environment are lethal if you have a mistake or something which was not a problem so far. If the world of chernarus is so hostile against players, then base building will make sense. Now that we still do not know how it evolves a prediction difficult)

On 5/22/2017 at 9:08 PM, kopo79 said:

Basebuilding,what i have read,its one of the most waited feature in game.
i have seen some art pictures about bases  and they seem big,with electricity and stuff.
so,you gather wood,metal,generators,etc and then its ready,what is your benefits from the base?
you see so much trouble to build one but is there some reward?

It's just something to do, thats the nature of a sandbox game

i have yet to see a base building type which is  not either 

1) too safe (bases are basically impenetrable and might as well be some sort of inventory no one but you can access)

2) too easy to break into and loot (why build a base when, once you are offline, will be raided?

it needs a delicate balance, i for one would love to be able to just fortify an apartement in the big apartment building north of cherno, to use it as a sniping spot, a bit of a storage hub, and maybe trading post

anything you have to build in an open area with a fence just seems WAY too much of a hassle for me, in a game where a session maybe lasts 6 hours, spending more than half an hour to build a base is too much for me

• Like 1

i for one would love to be able to just fortify an apartement in the big apartment building north of cherno, to use it as a sniping spot, a bit of a storage hub, and maybe trading post

Agree with this, I wanna literally be able to fortiify my spot inside an apartement and useit to aim a part of the city. But I wanna be sure I'm well fortified and covered behind even if alone.

• Like 2

For me It how it implemented and how hard it is to gather the Mats to build a base. If it requires you weeks of gathering to make the base but only takes a few grenades or ramming with a car to destroy. Then No thanks i'm sticking being a wanderer 

3 hours ago, ZomboWTF said:

It's just something to do, thats the nature of a sandbox game

i have yet to see a base building type which is  not either 

1) too safe (bases are basically impenetrable and might as well be some sort of inventory no one but you can access)

2) too easy to break into and loot (why build a base when, once you are offline, will be raided?

it needs a delicate balance, i for one would love to be able to just fortify an apartement in the big apartment building north of cherno, to use it as a sniping spot, a bit of a storage hub, and maybe trading post

anything you have to build in an open area with a fence just seems WAY too much of a hassle for me, in a game where a session maybe lasts 6 hours, spending more than half an hour to build a base is too much for me

i have read somewhere,im not sure if it was from the devs that in dayz,nothing is safe...so bases should be enterable maybe then somehow for strangers/raiders,etc
and also i have got somehow the picture in my head that bases are big,with walls and stuff...so you cant really hide the bases with 60 players....and if player count rise to 100(hope not) bases are easy to find.
and how long persistence bases have?after some amount of time,is server full of bases?
i dont know.
i would like that bases require teamwork and some amount of players to build one...but what they benefit from it?maybe when in future when there are gameplay chances,bases will fit in chernarus but players can do everything
with barrels under trees...not so visible and gives you storage.
why all the hassle for the base,when its so visible and really lures the enemy to camp near hill and snipe you in the yard of your base.

Most important thing base building brings, is a reason to keep playing the game, a place for you to store your loot and vehicles, Dayz was at its highest when Epoch released, but yes Its also a reason I am waiting to play DayZ, and why Beta can not come fast enough, as it means modders will be able to add this in (I dont trust SA Devs to implement it correctly) What I dont want is some of these stupid Exile base sky towers, And orogin type of base mod, with the abilty to build walls and gates surrounding your base, would be best  

I just hope they do not make it impossible to break in a base nor do I want it to be easy as hell. I want to have to acquire tools to break in like wire cutters for barbwire, C4/semtex or some sort of explosive for thick walls. molotovs or flammable substance for burning wooden structures. As well base builder should be able to place traps to hinder my advance like tripwires electric fences and the like. I also think resources should not be safe if you store food water or vehicles and I get in I should be able to sabotage all of them with poison, explosives or just destroy. As well you should be able to have a counter offense with locks that I have to pick or cut requiring me to loot tools. My point is I want a challenge I like metal gear solid and this to me will be a blast instead of NPC guards it will be humans one will have to use stealth against. I want brute force of bases to be an option but I also would like to see a person that uses the proper tools and there brain to be able to hinder a large group if they get careless and to big headed.  I also do not want people to put all there time into bases for a shithead like me to be able to just wander in and ruin all there work with one attack or bomb or the like. there is a lot of fun that could be had from this mechanic and could really add to the atmosphere and challenge of the game. I want both sides to have fun and I can't wait to find some huge clans base and go solid snake on there asses. I for one will not mess with solo players bases or smaller bases I want to mess with clans.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, gannon46 said:

I just hope they do not make it impossible to break in a base nor do I want it to be easy as hell. I want to have to acquire tools to break in like wire cutters for barbwire, C4/semtex or some sort of explosive for thick walls. molotovs or flammable substance for burning wooden structures. As well base builder should be able to place traps to hinder my advance like tripwires electric fences and the like. I also think resources should not be safe if you store food water or vehicles and I get in I should be able to sabotage all of them with poison, explosives or just destroy. As well you should be able to have a counter offense with locks that I have to pick or cut requiring me to loot tools. My point is I want a challenge I like metal gear solid and this to me will be a blast instead of NPC guards it will be humans one will have to use stealth against. I want brute force of bases to be an option but I also would like to see a person that uses the proper tools and there brain to be able to hinder a large group if they get careless and to big headed.  I also do not want people to put all there time into bases for a shithead like me to be able to just wander in and ruin all there work with one attack or bomb or the like. there is a lot of fun that could be had from this mechanic and could really add to the atmosphere and challenge of the game. I want both sides to have fun and I can't wait to find some huge clans base and go solid snake on there asses. I for one will not mess with solo players bases or smaller bases I want to mess with clans.

C4 or Dynamite needs to be stupidly rare, but as we got Fertilizer and barrels you could have it where you can build a bomb. Risk reward would be big explosion but when setting up there is a 50/50 chance it could go off as its a IED. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larky2k said:

C4 or Dynamite needs to be stupidly rare, but as we got Fertilizer and barrels you could have it where you can build a bomb. Risk reward would be big explosion but when setting up there is a 50/50 chance it could go off as its a IED. 

Agreed maybe the C4/TNT could be really rare whereas if you made your bomb homemade with the barrel and fert there is a chance for shit to go wrong or it be a dud. They could tie that too a soft crafting skill maybe. I would also maybe like to see it as a recipe in a book you would have to find as well maybe have to loot the book or blueprint from a military area so you have to go to high risk areas to add to the difficulty.

Personally for me, if this game goes into the direction of a Minecraft/Rust/Ark base building in the vanilla, I will most likely stop playing.  The map would look ridiculous with abandoned shacks strewn about everywhere, not to mention it removes the whole survival aspect and turns the game into a one dimensional base raiding cluster fuck.

5 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Personally for me, if this game goes into the direction of a Minecraft/Rust/Ark base building in the vanilla, I will most likely stop playing.  The map would look ridiculous with abandoned shacks strewn about everywhere, not to mention it removes the whole survival aspect and turns the game into a one dimensional base raiding cluster fuck.

yeah,that is what also thinking....abandoned bases everywhere.
only solution is that base require at least 5 people to be in group...and materials for base is just hard to get...basebuilding like  "the forest" game is just stupid that you just bring down tree and then collect woods and klip klap...ready.
but then,if building a base is very hard and takes a lot time and profit is just "HOME"...why even begin to build when the base is just place to call home and giant container for your stuff but cause its size,its like a note "come and steal my stuff and snipe our squad in our own yard"
yeah,i get it that is fun to build,you have something to do...but if im thinking more deeply....too much trouble for nothing
more ideas....what is benefit from the base?

6 hours ago, kopo79 said:

yeah,that is what also thinking....abandoned bases everywhere.
only solution is that base require at least 5 people to be in group...and materials for base is just hard to get...basebuilding like  "the forest" game is just stupid that you just bring down tree and then collect woods and klip klap...ready.
but then,if building a base is very hard and takes a lot time and profit is just "HOME"...why even begin to build when the base is just place to call home and giant container for your stuff but cause its size,its like a note "come and steal my stuff and snipe our squad in our own yard"
yeah,i get it that is fun to build,you have something to do...but if im thinking more deeply....too much trouble for nothing
more ideas....what is benefit from the base?

Would be cool if they slowly started to look weathered down, and needed repair. Rotting wood and fences falling apart. Overtime it would look like a rotting pile of wood. But Meh, that's too advanced for the team.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Would be cool if they slowly started to look weathered down, and needed repair. Rotting wood and fences falling apart. Overtime it would look like a rotting pile of wood. But Meh, that's too advanced for the team.

My dream.... a base need  worktime.

Time to build, an Time to hold on, time to maintenance. 

The same also with tents ... the time should gnaw with their teeth at the works of the people, only the work is the opponent of the time decay.

Perhaps we see the base building quite wrong. In the moment, basebuilding is just to hide and hunt loot, nothing else, except for a few very few exceptions from players who "live" with their tent.

Perhaps we will have to change the base building thoughts. Not as a Loot castle. Rather than a safe place where you can be easy, rest, healthy, treat the sores. A place of life can save.

Wait...and wait ;)