exwoll

Realistic Log-Off System.

I would like to suggest a log-off system that would enhance the realism of the game:

Basically when you log off, your character receives the weather effects that happen in the place every time weather changes to harsh. So if you log off in the middle of nowhere without any cover , you risk to login the next day and find out that your character is sick or died of hypothermia.

NOTES:

1. YOUR CHARACTER DOESN'T PHYSICALLY STAY IN THE GAME 

2. THE STATUS UPDATES ONLY APPLY ONCE (THEY DON´T ADD UP, BE IT 1 DAY OR 20 WITHOUT LOGGING IN, IT WOULD NOT MATTER)

3. THIS IS A REALISTIC SUGGESTION THAT WOULD MOSTLY FIT HARDCORE/REALISTIC SERVERS AND MODS

The main goal it's to make people have a realistic reason to search for cover to rest (logging off) from environmental dangers:

• cold
  • rain
  • uncomfortable sleeping conditions
  • predators
  • mosquitoes (?)
  • etc

This simulates a real situation when you have to find a place to spend the night in the wild (a cave, a cliff to protect from wind, a tent, etc) penalizing you after X hours with environmental status updates (maybe one or more depending on the realism setting of the server/mod), depending on what happened in the server in that area. 

This statuses would be both positive and negative (for example): 

• Body temperature (with some % chance of getting hypothermia or directly dying from it)
  • Wet (you log in and you are wet, and cold for example)
  • Diseases (influenza, flu, etc)
  • Morale stress, fear (if implemented in some mod)
  • maybe some low random probability (like idk 2%) of getting eaten by wolves or bears while sleeping
  • body confort/discomfort (maybe a % of getting a pain in the back and moving slowly the next hour or so)
  • Hunger and thirst (so when you "wake up" you eat before departing)  (great suggestion guys!)
  • Stamina level

And as some people mentioned here, maybe take something from TLD and add bonuses for taking care of your character before going to sleep (like eating hot food, having a fire, a confortable bet, etc) :D.

All of this is really realistic, and most is the logical thing to do.

The status updates can be both fixed depending on the environmental conditions and random probabilities for bad stuff happening:

FIXED STATUS UPDATES (depends on the amounts you have of some stats, the environmental variables, etC)

• Body temperature
  • Body humidity
  • Morale
  • Stamina level (or other indicator that should refresh while your character is "resting" 
  • Hunger and Thirst

SEMI-RANDOM STATUS UPDATES TRIGGERED BY THE ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS OR WHERE YOU ARE

• Predator attacks (low %, read below details, but also can be mortal) 
  • Diseases (% depending on Body temperature, humidity)
  • Hypothermia (% depending on environment temperature, season, body temperature, humidity)
  • Body discomfort (% of getting a pain in the back and other stuff you get for sleeping in the middle of the forest)
  • etc

RANDOM EVENTS THAT AFFECT YOUR CHARACTER (AND MAYBE ADD SOME STATUSES), y

• Wolves/bears attacks
  • Bitten by spiders, snakes, etc
  • Character heard some people and run away
  • etc

An example of these events could be that you log in  in the forest, and you receive a message "I was attacked by wolves tonight, had to fight with them". As result you have:

• Your character isnt rested at all (since he didn't slept at all)
  • You lose some ammo (he fired some shots to scare them away)
  • Maybe he has some ruined clothes.
  • Stolen food
  • Lost some blood fighting
  • Morale effect because of the scared he got
  • etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So for example:

You're walking in the forest and decided to log off in the middle of nowhere, you log off, after lets say 8-10hrs  being offline you get a status update depending of what happened (This would simulate that while you were sleeping outside it rained, and you got wet, of if it was winter you got buried in snow, etc).

The next day (or 4 days later) you log in and your statuses are: 

• You're damp
  • You're cold
  • You're hungry
  • You want to take a crap (we have poo models)
  • Your stamina haven't recovered fully (because of the shitty and uncomfortable conditions)
  • Your morale lowered (due to the fear of sleeping in the dark in the middle of a forest)
  • and so on.

Since it wasn't winter, and temperatures outside were fine, and it didn't rained that day you got what was realistic. 

Now in case that it was winter, then you have a high % of dying when logging in again, because you know it's winter -20c outside and you just slept a night in the snow without any cover :V.

This will make people to search some cover for logging off, be it a building, or a shed or a tent. 

During summer this could have almost no effect on gameplay, but once rains start or winter hits, searching for a refuge for sleeping (logging off) gonna be vital, and will add a lot of realism having a small extra side mission every time you want to log-out. 

edit: Updated info, since a lot of people didn't got the idea :)

Edited by exwoll
  • Like 5

Interesting idea. Could cause frustrations.

What about accidental disconnects? How would you communicate this feature to all the noobs? How would you determine the log out effects? Random? Based on length of time logged out? How would you handle situations where you log off on a server under cover and login on a server without protection?

I can follow your way of thinking but sometimes while playing someone may be at my door or maybe I will have to leave in a hurry. Having to look for shelter (other than a tree or bush for instance) would be a major nuisance and/or the price for having to log off where you are at the moment might be too high. Realism is fine but should be IN the game and not tied to the log off or login process too much.

• Like 2

I really like this concept, HOWEVER, I don't think it should enter into the realm of Killing your character if you log off under poor conditions.

Instead, I would say have their gear pay the price for inactivity, as well as placing them into a Hunger/Thirst zone of immediacy. 

The reason I don't like the killing part is we don't know about Disconnects, or how much time would elapse for these to take affect, but I could see it being hella frustrating for NEW PLAYERS who finally figure out the game, log off randomly to go attend life, come back and their first beloved character is dead because they logged off in the forest.

There would have to be a lot of specifics for this to work. .

• Warning message as you log off to tell you possible consequences
  • Time elapsed to take effect
  • Way more tuned weather effects and bodily changes would help
  • Like 3

Few problems I see with this. How cold does it get in Chernarus? I assume it gets cold enough one would freeze to death even in shelter if not heated properly So do we also have to build a fire before we log off because that would mean death otherwise. You say log off in a shelter most places with shelters also have zeds, So we come out of the elements to rest among the infected wouldn't they kill you in your sleep as well or do we only log off in little sheds in the middle of nowhere? This seems foolish a whole bunch of nonsense to get folks to have a harder time for no reason. I believe the real motivation is to get folks to come to populated areas and out of wilderness so you have a better time hunting folks and of course since they would need to log off in a building they will be in a hurry to log and or tired hence easier kills. Now this could possibly not be the case but what other reason would there be to add death and wear on gear when not even in game other than some fake way to make the game more difficult for folks. the game should be difficult enough in game to not need offline hazards. Next you'll want shit like rust where you logoff and still stay in game because it's so realistic to go to sleep and not have any idea what the hell is going on and of course not wake up when your being stabbed with a spear or hear wolves running around. go play Project Zomboid and come back then you'll see what this game really needs IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

Interesting idea. Could cause frustrations.

What about accidental disconnects? How would you communicate this feature to all the noobs? How would you determine the log out effects? Random? Based on length of time logged out? How would you handle situations where you log off on a server under cover and login on a server without protection?

Accidental disconnects would make you reconnect to find a shelter and then disconnect. I believe that the effect should be a long one, and only be "lethal" when its very cold or you're far in the woods with wolves and stuff.

2 hours ago, Espa said:

The reason I don't like the killing part is we don't know about Disconnects, or how much time would elapse for these to take affect, but I could see it being hella frustrating for NEW PLAYERS who finally figure out the game, log off randomly to go attend life, come back and their first beloved character is dead because they logged off in the forest.

There would have to be a lot of specifics for this to work. .

• Warning message as you log off to tell you possible consequences
  • Time elapsed to take effect
  • Way more tuned weather effects and bodily changes would help

Yup, the time elapsed should effect, like for example minimum 8 hrs to add the weather effect, and another X hours to add the cold, hypothermia messages, etc. IRL people dont die in 2-3 hours neither :)

1 hour ago, gannon46 said:

How cold does it get in Chernarus? I assume it gets cold enough one would freeze to death even in shelter if not heated properly So do we also have to build a fire before we log off because that would mean death otherwise. You say log off in a shelter most places with shelters also have zeds, So we come out of the elements to rest among the infected wouldn't they kill you in your sleep as well or do we only log off in little sheds in the middle of nowhere? This seems foolish a whole bunch of nonsense to get folks to have a harder time for no reason. I believe the real motivation is to get folks to come to populated areas and out of wilderness so you have a better time hunting folks and of course since they would need to log off in a building they will be in a hurry to log and or tired hence easier kills. Now this could possibly not be the case but what other reason would there be to add death and wear on gear when not even in game other than some fake way to make the game more difficult for folks. the game should be difficult enough in game to not need offline hazards. Next you'll want shit like rust where you logoff and still stay in game because it's so realistic to go to sleep and not have any idea what the hell is going on and of course not wake up when your being stabbed with a spear or hear wolves running around. go play Project Zomboid and come back then you'll see what this game really needs IMO.

Yes there are/will be very cold days, but I dont think that going so extreme would help (at least not in most servers, hardcore ones might love that tho), the fact of having you searching for shelter for the night would be enough to add that "spark" to the game without the fireplace and interior temperature added to the mix.

Infected should not affect one, since when you find a good spot to "sleep" you can assume your character locks the door and makes sure no one enters while he's sleeping :). 

The idea wasn't meant for people to come to populate areas, but to plan their route taking in count their "sleeping time". It doesn't make the game more difficult, you just search for a shed or sleep in one of your camps. 

Also this is not an idea for public ez servers, would be more suited for the hardcore ones :)

PS. i really hope someone makes a zomboid mod for dayz with all the features that game has :D 

• Like 2

hmm,maybe  there should be some sleep/log off button and when you push it,you get approx info your characters next log in stats...
maybe in future,you can craft blanket or find blanket,sleeping bag etc...when you log  out with good stuff,your log in stats are quite good.
i like in the long dark game that if you drink warm tea before you go to sleep,character sleeps more calm...(some stats are better or same after  waking up)

so,fighting with wolfs,zombies,werewolfs,players,ghosts and then go "sleep"...you wake up hungry/thirsty,scary,flu,fever and tired:D
op suggestion is quite good and i have also used this "log out in shelter" rule in my gameplay.
also this would maybe prevent a little combat logging.
maybe after  some hours those effect could be on your character...5 hours maybe.

log of naked in the rain at -1 celsius :
Your log in stats next time:DEAD.

set fire in fireplace,drink tea and write a journal,go in sleeping bag and log off.
your log in stats next time:never been happier

Edited by kopo79
  • Like 1

just no.  there's too many circumstances where you have to log out NOW with no warning, and real life happening shouldn't be a death sentence for your character.  that's just silly.

don't get me wrong - I like the IDEA.  but just too many factors often give you no choice where and when you log out, and once logged out you may not be able to play again for days or more.

Edited by Red_Ensign
  • Like 3

So are you saying that when u log off, your character stays in the server sleeping, till u log back in again?

Seems like a great idea.............................................Not

Why would you log off in a building knowing that there is a high chance of someone looting said building and finding your sleeping body on the deck.

Would end up being like Rust with sleeping bodies everywhere, and not everyone can spend all day everyday playing games.  

But i only have 14 post's, what do I know

Edited by donkennedy01
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, donkennedy01 said:

So are you saying that when u log off, your character stays in the server sleeping, till u log back in again?

Seems like a great idea.............................................Not

Why would you log off in a building knowing that there is a high chance of someone looting said building and finding your sleeping body on the deck.

Would end up being like Rust with sleeping bodies everywhere, and not everyone can spend all day everyday playing games.  

But i only have 14 post's, what do I know

I agree, this idea of Dayz is too much like Rust.

Edited by jostino
  • Like 1

Love the premise and i think we really need to think something like and continue polishing that idea.

Here are some thoughts to give you my feedback:

1) The character obviously should not appear asleep on the server or anything like it (like Rust). This will insta kill all players. There ir no safe place in Chernarus. I know you never considered it as a possibility, but someone mentioned it in the comments.

2) It is a great difficulty to "move" what happens to the server weather to a player who is disconnected. That is why the server saves a copy of the player when he log out. This would need a change of technology (which would be interesting) so we need to think how should this work as a whole.

3) I love the idea that the conditions in which you log out have to be considered by the players to give more realism. I think that taking it to the extreme would be very frustrating but there are certain things that could be applied to make things even more difficult and to avoid, with a new reformulation of the system of log out and log in, things like ghosting, server hopping or the "scape log".

For example:

• The effects already existing in your character (hunger, thirst, food, cold, heat, illness) would increase progressively if you log off on the outside. (Or simply when log in again are half of what you had before).To avoid suffering this with the accidental disconnections, this would only apply with each server restart or every x amount of hours (long).

• This reasoning can be used to avoid server hopping by increasing your character's "weaknesses" (cold, heat, hunger, thirst, etc.) when you jump from server to server. Even more so if one does it on the outside (in a tree, as is usually done near military bases). Now, nothing would be avoided if you disconnected inside, for example, the NWAF prison. But there you run the risk that someone is waiting for you inside.

• However, there may be exceptional situations where, if you disconnect in a certain place or under certain conditions, when you log in again you appear dead. For example: log out with hypotermia or hyperthermia, log out into the water, log out sick, log out with wolves around your house and agro to you, log out bleeding, among other situations that can be thought of.

In other words: I think the idea is very good and needs to be reformulated. Generate new states/status (hunger, thirst, hypotermia, etc) in relation to the place where you disconnect I do not see it very viable, but increasing the existing states (using some very long timer or just the servers restarts) if one does it in the outside world or if you jump from server to server in a shorter period of time (10-15-20 minutes), that could be a good idea.

Really enjoy reading and thinking about your ideas dude. Keep them coming.

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Asmondian said:

Love the premise and i think we really need to think something like and continue polishing that idea.

Here are some thoughts to give you my feedback:

1) The character obviously should not appear asleep on the server or anything like it (like Rust). This will insta kill all players. There ir no safe place in Chernarus

2) It is a great difficulty to "move" what happens to the server weather to a player who is disconnected. That is why the server saves a copy of the player when he log out. This would need a change of technology (which would be interesting) so we need to think how should this work.

3) I love the idea that the conditions in which you log out have to be considered by the players to give more realism. I think that taking it to the extreme would be very frustrating but there are certain things that could be applied to make things even more difficult and to avoid, with a new reformulation of the system of log out and log in, things like ghosting, server hopping or the "scape log". For example:

• The effects already existing in your character (hunger, thirst, food, cold, heat, illness) would increase progressively if you log off on the outside. (Or simply when log in again are half of what you had before).To avoid suffering this with the accidental disconnections, this would only apply with each server restart or every x amount of hours (long).
  • This reasoning can be used to avoid server hopping by increasing your character's "weaknesses" (cold, heat, hunger, thirst, etc.) when you jump from server to server. Even more so if one does it on the outside (in a tree, as is usually done near military bases). Now, nothing would be avoided if you disconnected inside, for example, the NWAF prison. But there you run the risk that someone is waiting for you inside.
  • However, there may be exceptional situations where, if you disconnect in a certain place or under certain conditions, when you log in again you appear dead. For example: log out with hypotermia or hyperthermia, log out into the water, log out sick, log out with wolves around your house and agro to you, log out bleeding, among other situations that can be thought of.

In other words: I think the idea is very good and needs to be reformulated. Generate new states/status (hunger, thirst, hypotermia, etc) in relation to the place where you disconnect I do not see it very viable, but increasing the existing states (using some very long timer or just the servers restarts) if one does it in the outside world or if you jump from server to server in a shorter period of time (10-15-20 minutes), that could be a good idea.

Really enjoy reading and thinking about your ideas dude. Keep them coming.

What you just write here is clearly better.

The effects already existing in your character (hunger, thirst, food, cold, heat, illness) would increase progressively if you log off on the outside.

Agree, log off inside a building or a city should decrease these status, I think.

This reasoning can be used to avoid server hopping by increasing your character's "weaknesses" (cold, heat, hunger, thirst, etc.) when you jump from server to server.

Another cool idea, but I think the first change of the server should be "free". Because often you enter in a server is bugged or with some issues and you need to change. Should be placed a timer about, after 1 or 2 hours won't be effect on changing server once.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jostino said:

Another cool idea, but I think the first change of the server should be "free". Because often you enter in a server is bugged or with some issues and you need to change. Should be placed a timer about, after 1 or 2 hours won't be effect on changing server once.

100% agree. I had not considered that possibility. It could be a combination of both. First jump without any effect, you might even consider whether the jump is to servers in the same region or not (which greatly increases the log-in time). Then you could jump indefinitely with no effect leaving 20 minutes between server join. (Always talking about public servers, private hives may handle it differently). The basic idea is also that whenever you do it in a safe place (house, shelter, etc.) there are no consequences between jump and jump, unless there is a constant that shows that you are doing server hopping. In this case the time between the jumps (counting from the second).

+ B

Edited by Asmondian
  • Like 1

I totally disagree but hey ho everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Just don't see why you would want status effects on your character to worsen when you are not even playing.

There will be enough going on in game without having to worry about what happens to your guy when you log off.

Edited by donkennedy01
spelling error
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Asmondian said:

100% agree. I had not considered that possibility. It could be a combination of both. First jump without any effect, you might even consider whether the jump is to servers in the same region or not (which greatly increases the log-in time). Then you could jump indefinitely with no effect leaving 20 minutes between server join. (Always talking about public servers, private hives may handle it differently). The basic idea is also that whenever you do it in a safe place (house, shelter, etc.) there are no consequences between jump and jump, unless there is a constant that shows that you are doing server hopping. In this case the time between the jumps (counting from the second).

+ B

Sure, these peculiarity could make better the game or simply decrease the server hoppers.

7 minutes ago, donkennedy01 said:

I totally disagree but hey ho everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Just don't see why you would want status effects on your character to worsen when you are not even playing.

There will be enough going on in game without having to worry about what happens to your guy when you log off.

We are talking only about to make the game more realistic. Nothing more in particular.  With some limits, for sure and without exageration. ;)

PS

sorry for the double post :(

Edited by jostino

4 minutes ago, donkennedy01 said:

I get that bud, but i still disagree :)

Yeah, opinions are free in this world :p

• Like 1

How about this no log off punishment because losing stats while not playing IMO is ridiculous but I will agree if it was a server setting and limited to say some hardcore setting so be it have fun but as a vanilla mechanic no not at all. I think a way we can find even ground is say you can craft or loot like an above poster stated sleeping bags or if in a building a bed. These will give you a buff say your sick over time you heal same with wounds. Food and thirst would not be affected. Giving folks a reward for things is a better way to get them to do it rather than brutal stat loss or death. 

5 minutes ago, gannon46 said:

How about this no log off punishment because losing stats while not playing IMO is ridiculous but I will agree if it was a server setting and limited to say some hardcore setting so be it have fun but as a vanilla mechanic no not at all. I think a way we can find even ground is say you can craft or loot like an above poster stated sleeping bags or if in a building a bed. These will give you a buff say your sick over time you heal same with wounds. Food and thirst would not be affected. Giving folks a reward for things is a better way to get them to do it rather than brutal stat loss or death. 

I think should be a "mode" that you can enable or disable on your server. A plus option of the hardcore mode.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, donkennedy01 said:

7 hours ago, Asmondian said:

1) The character obviously should not appear asleep on the server or anything like it (like Rust). This will insta kill all players. There ir no safe place in Chernarus. I know you never considered it as a possibility, but someone mentioned it in the comments.

No, re-read my post lol. I just said that weather changes in the place you log off should affect the character, not that he should physically stay there (which would suck pretty hard). :)

But having some hunger thirst effects in place would be fun too!

7 hours ago, Asmondian said:

2) It is a great difficulty to "move" what happens to the server weather to a player who is disconnected. That is why the server saves a copy of the player when he log out. This would need a change of technology (which would be interesting) so we need to think how should this work as a whole.

This actually is what happens when people log-off. Your character is relocated to an X location in the map and it just stays there till you respawn. When you see the "bug" of a player spawning dead (or receiving damage) its because a hacker found the place where the characters are "stored" and started killing them.

This happened to me a couple of months ago, so I had to research a little this issue :/. There was a video showing this, but cant remember the name .

So if the characters are already "in-game", it would be possible to manage the statuses they have based on their locations (theoretically at least o.O?)

On 5/22/2017 at 3:43 PM, Red_Ensign said:

just no.  there's too many circumstances where you have to log out NOW with no warning, and real life happening shouldn't be a death sentence for your character.  that's just silly.

You can relog after a couple of hours and move your character to a safe location. EZ :)

6 hours ago, gannon46 said:

How about this no log off punishment because losing stats while not playing IMO is ridiculous

It´s not a "log off" punishment. It´s all about bad and good decisions during a survival situation. And you might be surprised how many people die IRL because they didnt found a shelter to spend the night (or even insulated their bodies from the ground).  

It´s logic to find a shelter to sleep during bad weather conditions.

And yes, this is a suggestion that wouldn´t fit EZ servers. I only play in hardcore ones, so all my suggestions go that way XD

Edited by exwoll

I think the better way to go with the logout concept includes elements of a "morale" system, not to be confused with good or bad morality of actions, but rather player comfort and attitudes that positively effect health and stamina.

If you log out with all basic needs met--comfortable temperature, and no wet body or clothing, energized hydrated and healthy; as well as extras, like having eaten a warm meal cooked with a variety of ingredients, all clothing in worn or better status, and all weapons having full magazines; you come back with slightly improved/boosted stats.
Maybe even have an opportunity to increase the maximum capacity of certain player status after logging out with maximum stats all-around, as an incentive for players to plan ahead on taking care of their characters for maximum performance.
These conditions will help you to have a secure, comfortable and contented character, which will yield such benefits as faster healing, slower food and water consumption, larger stomach capacity and quicker digestion, as well as an extra buffer of stamina.
Of course if you let yourself become hungry, thirsty, or overly exerted, these benefits will no longer be available until you restore all stats to maximum and perform some extra actions to boost morale; such as sitting down to eat, or consuming a hot meal, reloading and repairing all your kit, logging out with a friend (someone who has fed or healed you during both of your current lifespans) and so on...
And for those concerned about balancing, or just don't want the presence of super-characters, just remember that this is all based on morale--being in high spirits in addition to being healthy; so getting slapped up by zombies, or shot, is definitely going to ruin your day as well as degrade your perfect health required for said perks.

The idea of adding an extra layer of penalties to the logout process seems unnecessary and immersion breaking.  I would much prefer there to be a system of additional 'perks' for going the extra mile to ensure your maximum character value.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 4

This is a better idea imo

33 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I think the better way to go with the logout concept includes elements of a "morale" system, not to be confused with good or bad morality of actions, but rather player comfort and attitudes that positively effect health and stamina.

If you log out with all basic needs met--comfortable temperature, and no wet body or clothing, energized hydrated and healthy; as well as extras, like having eaten a warm meal cooked with a variety of ingredients, all clothing in worn or better status, and all weapons having full magazines; you come back with slightly improved/boosted stats.
Maybe even have an opportunity to increase the maximum capacity of certain player status after logging out with maximum stats all-around, as an incentive for players to plan ahead on taking care of their characters for maximum performance.
These conditions will help you to have a secure, comfortable and contented character, which will yield such benefits as faster healing, slower food and water consumption, larger stomach capacity and quicker digestion, as well as an extra buffer of stamina.
Of course if you let yourself become hungry, thirsty, or overly exerted, these benefits will no longer be available until you restore all stats to maximum and perform some extra actions to boost morale; such as sitting down to eat, or consuming a hot meal, reloading and repairing all your kit, logging out with a friend (fed or healed you) and so on...
And for those concerned about balancing, or just don't want the presence of super-characters, just remember that this is all based on morale--being in high spirits in addition to being healthy; so getting slapped up by zombies, or shot, is definitely going to ruin your day as well as degrade your perfect health required for said perks.

The idea of adding an extra layer of penalties to the logout process seems unnecessary and immersion breaking.  I would much prefer there to be a system of additional 'perks' for going the extra mile to ensure your maximum character value.

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Of course if you let yourself become hungry, thirsty, or overly exerted, these benefits will no longer be available until you restore all stats to maximum and perform some extra actions to boost morale; such as sitting down to eat, or consuming a hot meal, reloading and repairing all your kit, logging out with a friend (someone who has fed or healed you during both of your current lifespans) and so on...

I believe both ideas can work together. 

I actually see the contrary to an immersion break with the search of a place to logout, since that's what you would do in real life, planning your route taking in count places to rest (log-out) etc