Sign in to follow this  
Jex

State of the Game?

6 minutes ago, Jex said:

And another nasty reply. Do you guys not have a life or something. Why you got to give shitty ass replies all the time? I don't want to read their drivel thanks.

Simple solutions are usually the best... Now watch me ignore you.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

Just a legitimate question for you @Jex. What would it take for you to stop spamming the forums?

There's a recent post area on the homepage and its just you and your annoying rebuttals.

Wouldn't be surprised if a mod locks this thread.

Any locks would come from the lack of quality content from your posts and others like you. Spamming the fourms? I'm not sure what education level you achieved but if anyone here is spamming, IE providing pointless word salad, it is you and your friends.

Whilst I continue to rebutt your post with sound argument and content, you continue to troll and prove you have nothing worthy of saying.

But it's fun to keep bashing your nose against the wall so keep it up! ;)

• Like 1

Play nice, guys and girls. Dont make me moderate. you wouldnt like me when I moderate.

if someone is being a grump, ignore em and use that report button if you deem it suitable, let us mods sort it out.

I know its tough not to respond but all the rest of us see is a pointless catfight.

L

• Like 2

thread cleaned, heed my previous post.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jex said:

Any locks would come from the lack of quality content from your posts and others like you. Spamming the fourms? I'm not sure what education level you achieved but if anyone here is spamming, IE providing pointless word salad, it is you and your friends.

Whilst I continue to rebutt your post with sound argument and content, you continue to troll and prove you have nothing worthy of saying.

But it's fun to keep bashing your nose against the wall so keep it up! ;)

Hi friend! What about my question? Is there a point that you will be satisfied with the responses you have been given because isn't that the point of this thread?

If you still aren't then here are my answers to your initial question!

Where is the game going now?

The game is still chugging along. True the output of their development does seem slow but they have stated in past status reports that they have been working very hard on the .63 update which will feature an initial implementation of their new animation system and player controller for live testing.

Have they got the animals in and coded properly?

Animals are currently in running on the new AI (still WIP however) their Bratislava team worked on awhile back. They run away from players, gunshots, hop over small fences and can get chased by zombies. (Wolves actually attack zombies as well)

The zombies seem to be dumber and there's hardly any around so what's going on with them?

AI still WIP and i'm pretty sure they are not currently functioning so well due to server performance. (Detection of players)

But with the latest experimental I was in a town and shot my rifle and at least 8 unseen zombies had appeared and flocked towards me. I continued firing at them killing them and more kept coming.

Eventually i had to just take them out silently to prevent further aggro from other zombies. My assumption is that they spawn out of the player's view when there is nearby aggro going on.

What about the survival elements have they been improved upon?

Not really. They have tweaked hunger and thirst in the latest patch and it seems to be a lot easier to starve. Cold and weather still affects you like before. But the system is in place. The only thing it needs now are more external sources to affect it.

What new stuff has been added in the last year and a half?

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Changelog

Quite a huge list if you ask me. Might take awhile to read but i'm sure you'll take the time to do so :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyDog said:

Hi friend! What about my question? Is there a point that you will be satisfied with the responses you have been given because isn't that the point of this thread?

If you still aren't then here are my answers to your initial question!

Where is the game going now?

The game is still chugging along. True the output of their development does seem slow but they have stated in past status reports that they have been working very hard on the .63 update which will feature an initial implementation of their new animation system and player controller for live testing.

Have they got the animals in and coded properly?

Animals are currently in running on the new AI (still WIP however) their Bratislava team worked on awhile back. They run away from players, gunshots, hop over small fences and can get chased by zombies. (Wolves actually attack zombies as well)

The zombies seem to be dumber and there's hardly any around so what's going on with them?

AI still WIP and i'm pretty sure they are not currently functioning so well due to server performance. (Detection of players)

But with the latest experimental I was in a town and shot my rifle and at least 8 unseen zombies had appeared and flocked towards me. I continued firing at them killing them and more kept coming.

Eventually i had to just take them out silently to prevent further aggro from other zombies. My assumption is that they spawn out of the player's view when there is nearby aggro going on.

What about the survival elements have they been improved upon?

Not really. They have tweaked hunger and thirst in the latest patch and it seems to be a lot easier to starve. Cold and weather still affects you like before. But the system is in place. The only thing it needs now are more external sources to affect it.

What new stuff has been added in the last year and a half?

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Changelog

Quite a huge list if you ask me. Might take awhile to read but i'm sure you'll take the time to do so :)

Well that wasn't annoying to lose my entire reply and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I see they're active with patching, around 3 a month this year which is good I suppose. disappointing that the Ai hasn't really changed much and 8 zombies in a town is really disappointing. If I'm stood 50m from you when you fire, do I see zombies teleport in? Where are they spawning and who gets to see that?

The medical stuff having no expansion is really bad news. This is the stuff they should be working on afaic. it's a survival simulator with 8 zombies? Starving isn't a thing. After over a year of not playing, I got back in and lived off apples so easily that I didn't need the one can of food I found. Water pumps are everywhere for clean water.

So it seems like in al lthis time, what we're going to get is pretty much exactly the same game that the mod was. Circle strafe the zeds, don't have that many zeds anyway, the same medical system (actually, the MOD might be more complex than the SA right now) and some chickens that are so easy to catch idk what to say.

That's not really progress. If the game is just going to look better, why bother? What I thought we were going to get was more zombies and a more complex survival system. If they're not striving towards that, what are they striving for?

@Jex The devs stated almost two years ago that they came to a speed bump with their engine. They realized that their chosen engine couldn't fundamentally support DayZ's scope (millions of items, numerous simulations, lots of players, ai and scripts working all at once). Because the engine they had chosen (Real Virtuality 3) was not designed with all of that in mind. (Think about the original Arma 2's design and compare it to DayZ)

Eventually it boiled down to two decisions:

1. Look for work arounds to fix bugs that arose during development in the engine they had chosen to begin DayZ Standalone.

2. Decide to remove and recreate previous systems with the design of DayZ in mind.

They chose option 2 as it allowed them to solve fundamental issues with the technology they had in their engine as well as "future-proof" it to allow for future Bohemia Interactive games. (Future proofing by which I mean modulate all the systems to allow for things to be made separately then connected together) The new Enfusion Scripting system is the best example of their "future proofing" ideology. All of the games functions and features such as cooking, medical system, killing players, shooting guns, playing audio etc will be done through their scripting system and not hard coded into the engine. So you could eventually say remove zombies or shooting and turn the game into say a Driving simulator.

Now with all of that in mind, it is clear that script level content such as the medical system, or say picking apples off of trees have not been touched or changed because of the current work the developers are doing. One of the major request and complains from the majority of players is the way the player behaves when moving and the "overall" chunkiness of the game. This was due to their engine that they had chosen. So part of their decision to recreate systems is to fix this major issue by developing an entirely new animation system and player controller (lots of information about this in previous status reports). The problem with Zombies you see especially with the pushing around is due incompatibly of the new and old physics systems. The zombies are currently on the new physics system while the player is on the old (Could be other way around i forgot xd). We do not have much more information about what exactly will happen after .63 or during. IIRC after this major work is completed continuation of the new Enfusion Scripting system (I heard their programmers and designers are working on scripting all of the features of the game from the old script engine to the new one) should bring about an increased update of new content and features that we all want.

Hopefully this answers the your "what are they striving for?" question :)

• Like 1

Long story short........in the year of our Lord 2017 we are still waiting for this game to be "finished" (whatever and whenever).

A truly never ending story which is beginning to be somewhat tiresome even for the most patient souls.

Yes, yes, I know.......... "the devs are working on it".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jex said:

What a stupid post - no wonder you have no issues with the game if you think like this.

Yes, I expect that having taken mulit-millions from us they spend that money on making a game? You know, maybe hiring devs to work on things.

It's been 4 and a half years

Brooks's Law "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later" . 

It is stupid to think that "us" thinks like you. Some maybe but not all. Some of us understand the development cycle and the issues the devs are experiencing. We still play and enjoy the game and help with bug reports.

For 30 bucks I can't even get into SixFlags for an hour, my 30 bucks I gave to Bohemia gave me 900 hours so far and it just keep on giving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jex said:

Another post from a baby who thinks it's their game lol.

Wow - a lot of you are rather nasty here aren't you? It's fine, you have no argument so you come here and name call. That's a loser argument right there. Could you take your meaness and maybe stop posting your BS?

If you think I was being mean, and was just name calling, it's very obvious you didn't care to read what I wrote. Typical myopic idiocy.

Why are you here?

You do not approve of how DayZ has progressed.

You do not agree with the dedicated community here that has actually contributed massively to the games development while you offer NOTHING.

Why are you here?

Now you have a cheer leader, another person who has contributed NOTHING to development, and it's fueled your silly ego to rail against the regulars here who certainly contribute far more than either of you.

Leave this forum if you don't like the community.

Leave DayZ if you think Bohemia is so inept and criminally negligent to their customers.

The fact that you come here basically with the purpose of shitting on the game and the people who are most dedicated shows you lacking in basic reasoning skills and as far as I'm concerned lacking in intelligence because you cannot simply walk away from something you disdain so much.

4 hours ago, Jex said:

with sound argument and content, you continue to troll and prove you have nothing worthy of saying.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You never even read my posts but rsorted to the name calling you accused others of.

Your cogency is so lacking and your vitriol so thin and ill supported.

Please take up high rise parkour without practice.

PLEASE.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

@Jex The devs stated almost two years ago that they came to a speed bump with their engine. They realized that their chosen engine couldn't fundamentally support DayZ's scope (millions of items, numerous simulations, lots of players, ai and scripts working all at once). Because the engine they had chosen (Real Virtuality 3) was not designed with all of that in mind. (Think about the original Arma 2's design and compare it to DayZ)

Eventually it boiled down to two decisions:

1. Look for work arounds to fix bugs that arose during development in the engine they had chosen to begin DayZ Standalone.

2. Decide to remove and recreate previous systems with the design of DayZ in mind.

They chose option 2 as it allowed them to solve fundamental issues with the technology they had in their engine as well as "future-proof" it to allow for future Bohemia Interactive games. (Future proofing by which I mean modulate all the systems to allow for things to be made separately then connected together) The new Enfusion Scripting system is the best example of their "future proofing" ideology. All of the games functions and features such as cooking, medical system, killing players, shooting guns, playing audio etc will be done through their scripting system and not hard coded into the engine. So you could eventually say remove zombies or shooting and turn the game into say a Driving simulator.

Now with all of that in mind, it is clear that script level content such as the medical system, or say picking apples off of trees have not been touched or changed because of the current work the developers are doing. One of the major request and complains from the majority of players is the way the player behaves when moving and the "overall" chunkiness of the game. This was due to their engine that they had chosen. So part of their decision to recreate systems is to fix this major issue by developing an entirely new animation system and player controller (lots of information about this in previous status reports). The problem with Zombies you see especially with the pushing around is due incompatibly of the new and old physics systems. The zombies are currently on the new physics system while the player is on the old (Could be other way around i forgot xd). We do not have much more information about what exactly will happen after .63 or during. IIRC after this major work is completed continuation of the new Enfusion Scripting system (I heard their programmers and designers are working on scripting all of the features of the game from the old script engine to the new one) should bring about an increased update of new content and features that we all want.

Hopefully this answers the your "what are they striving for?" question :)

Thanks for the effort but not really lol. It doesn't asnwer where the game is going but that's fine, I don't expect anyone here to know the answer but the devs themselves. I hope we get hundreds of zombies in towns, that we see hordes and that we have way less food found so we have to grow and we also get an advanced survival/medical system (apples for a start should be seasonal - hmmm then we need food storage and we're heading into farming simulator......)

That can easily be fixed though - just make each tree only bear fruit in summer autumn and they only have x aomunt of apples and once picked they're all gone and no waiting, apples are obvious. other food like potatoes should just grow via the game mechanics. After that, medical, so broken legs arms have massive consequences - limited movement, morphine only works for a short time to deal with the pain. other diseases, ways to eleviate conditions, ways to prevent conditions (basically boil stuff and keep clean) so stuff along those lines. Zeds need to be numerous to a point that makes you think twice going into a town. However, 2 major points, don't have zeds giving players away EVER - as in, they only spawn in when a player is near and 2 - make it possible to sneak passed them but not easy - so there's a rough sketch of where I want the game to go regarding those things but it also needs good pvp mechanics.

I understand they made a disastrous decision about the engine but they also were a year and a half off their own prediction of the new graphics. That's pretty awful for a team to get it that wrong and that ties in with my last point, how long is it going to be - 3 more years?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ScipioII said:

Brooks's Law "adding manpower to a late software project makes it later" . 

It is stupid to think that "us" thinks like you. Some maybe but not all. Some of us understand the development cycle and the issues the devs are experiencing. We still play and enjoy the game and help with bug reports.

For 30 bucks I can't even get into SixFlags for an hour, my 30 bucks I gave to Bohemia gave me 900 hours so far and it just keep on giving.

Ok you missed the point but nvm.

4 minutes ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

You never even read my posts but rsorted to the name calling you accused others of.

Your cogency is so lacking and your vitriol so thin and ill supported.

Please take up high rise parkour without practice.

PLEASE.

This post and the one above? Why would I read them - have YOU read them? They're awful. Once people start on me, I'm free to start on them back. I think most people would regard that as fair. Could you add anymore poison into your posts? Your "points" make literally no sense - I'm not cogent? Do you even know what the word means? I've read your posts, they're really not worth replying too as you just resorted to another two childish name calling posts after Orlock specifically told everyone to calm it down. Some people here managed that and now I'm enjoying better discussions. You on the other hand have a problem with being polite for what reason, exactly?

Edited by Jex

@Jex Yea to me I'm pretty excited to see what will happen after .63 or even during. They've implied that content development will kick up a gear once all the new systems are implemented. And yea though slightly exaggerated with the delay of the new graphics, it is quite annoying not knowing how long things are going to take. We're lucky that they even tell us when they "think" they might be done. (.63 out towards the end of this year possibly). But who knows? It may get delayed a year D:

In the end even asking the devs for an estimated date could still not even give us confidence.

10 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

@Jex Yea to me I'm pretty excited to see what will happen after .63 or even during. They've implied that content development will kick up a gear once all the new systems are implemented. And yea though slightly exaggerated with the delay of the new graphics, it is quite annoying not knowing how long things are going to take. We're lucky that they even tell us when they "think" they might be done. (.63 out towards the end of this year possibly). But who knows? It may get delayed a year D:

In the end even asking the devs for an estimated date could still not even give us confidence.

Well they have our money already so they don't need to say anything. When they want our money, oh the promises, the foot massges....wait!

Just now, Jex said:

Well they have our money already so they don't need to say anything. When they want our money, oh the promises, the foot massges....wait!

Yea but its more about reputation. BI is a game development company and they take themselves fairly seriously. It would probably be company suicide if they decided to drop the project or give us something that wasn't at the standard they "promised". So no matter how many foot massages they get, they'll still have to work super hard. Then again I have absolutely no idea what exactly is happening behind the scenes :P

• Like 2

Wow.  Can't believe this thread is still a thing.  I couldn't imagine that there are still any unanswered questions about the OP.  

Guess what, there's a new patch out.   And still about the same 5,000 people playing.

I guess there is only so many players who like this game enough to still play it at this tedious stage in development. 

I reckon most people who liked DayZ, but don't have the patience for this development process, were smart enough to move on and just wait for word that it is finished.

.62 is on EXP branch now, and .63 due out sometime later this year (probably early next year, to be realistic).  After that, maybe we'll see some players come back.  If they aren't too heavily dissuaded by all the negative buzz created by impatient and crass former players.

Gee whiz.  If you bought a fixer-upper RV and left it at a custom shop to get completely rebuilt, and kept showing up to bitch at the mechanics and tell them it is never going to be finished and that they essentially stole your money, they'd probably just give you a half-finished piece of crap and tell you to fuck off.

BI has been amazingly patient with the worse parts of this community, all things considered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jex said:

Is there no IGNORE button on these forums? Anybody?? Helllooooo???? LOLOL

Yes there is if you really want to know , just click on the posters avatar on the post, and at the bottom center is the ignore user button. 

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jex said:

Maybe YOU should take a step back as you all seem to be taking it personally. It's not YOUR game, you aren't making it stop sucking up.

Then you have the audacity to tell people to "Act like adults" We are, it's people like you coming in and throwing the insults around - do you think you could stop doing that please?

I have no idea how you got to the conclusion you did there.. especially with what you quoted.

• Like 1

becoming too personal and topically pointless.

read the SR's, look at the trello, dont buy into the tropes.

• Like 6