Sign in to follow this  
Jex

State of the Game?

Everything gets better within time. However, its just baffling to have people support "bacon cooking in extra detail" and other irrelevant to the gameplay we want updates (Working vehicles, more weapons and bug-free zombies/animals). Thats what is fixed first, then you go on about animations and bacon cooking at ultra detail.

Before anyone takes my comment in a literal way, Im aware the updates do not only consist of extra detail bacon cooking.

But damn, what do we as players and people who paid for the game know, right?

Lock the thread lads!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Benavides said:

Everything gets better within time. However, its just baffling to have people support "bacon cooking in extra detail" and other irrelevant to the gameplay we want updates (Working vehicles, more weapons and bug-free zombies/animals). Thats what is fixed first, then you go on about animations and bacon cooking at ultra detail.

Before anyone takes my comment in a literal way, Im aware the updates do not only consist of extra detail bacon cooking.

But damn, what do we as players and people who paid for the game know, right?

Lock the thread lads!

Now I just want bacon :)

But I can wait.

What do we know? We know what they tell us basically, then up to you to decide if it adds up or not, can ofc choose not to trust them, but that won't really get you anywhere.

20 hours ago, aldink said:

That could you do and add more apocalyptic look. (like the model that you show use on trello.) or plans for the animation? can we expect that we can climb a fence or a small garage ? nobody answer this question but funny thing is that zombies that have no brain can do it and we cannot.. if you say in status report that the sway on the weapon will be caused by the movment and weight of the player.. a good idea it will be to add same method when you jump over a fence, your empty you can jump fester, you are on middle weight you are jumping harder and if you are on full weight then you cannot jump over... 

I suggested years ago now to make everything more overgrown and run down. They can change and add to the map so much but can't add more stuff to make it look like authentic?

Weapon sway is rubbish if it's still the same as it was over a year ago. I can state for a fact that when you aim down a rifle it does not "drag" like that. Having been an actual soldier, I can perfectly account for that. I'd say neither the Dev team have been in the Army nor have they done any more than a few camping holidays if this is their version of "hardocre".

BTW - nobody "jumps" over anything in the army when you have full kit and a huge bergen on your back. Not unless you're being shot at, at any rate ;)

6 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Boy. people sure do have a way of burying their heads in the sand.

This cannot be stressed enough, that this development project is not making a game.  The game has existed for years already and had multiple issues.  What BI are doing is creating a custom-tailored engine to run the game.  Once the new engine is finished, it's basically a quick hop, skip and a port away from being a finished game.

Really, this baffles the shit out of me.  I mean, I can understand the criticism, I like to joke about slow development too from time to time.  But it is an entirely different thing to completely disregard that BI is building an entirely new engine from the ground up, while letting the public still have access to the game.

They could have rushed out a crappy version of the mod, albeit running smoother, and called it a day.  But they didn't.  They decided that it was necessary to do the right thing, no matter the cost, both in development hours and PR costs.

I'll provide a useful link for all the haters once this shit is finished.

Reveal hidden contents

Do you mean the "new engine" as the one they stuck in a year ago which was a year and a half over their own, stated timeframe?

1 hour ago, Gobbokirk said:

Ignorance is key, just like patience.

And yes I don't respect people that rant away while not bothering to keep track of what is going on, I expect the same from others as I expect from myself, sue me :p

Why would gameplay be at its best when the game isn't finished? Isn't that pretty obvious?

Patience is fine when we're talking a game that didn't already take our money. In the case of DayZ, they increased the cost of Arma 2 and took money for early access. No, you don't get to skimp out on devs with millions in the bank.

On a side note, these forums are rubbish! I can't even select text? And the "back" button doesn't work after you post. Doesn't anyone look at this stuff and you know, maybe give more than 2 shits about having quality?

Edited by Jex

2 minutes ago, Jex said:

Patience is fine when we're talking a game that didn't already take our money. In the case of DayZ, they increased the cost of Arma 2 and took money for early access. No, you don't get to skimp out on devs with millions in the bank.

On a side note, these forums are rubbish! I can't even select text?

What browser are you using? It's working perfectly fine for me on Chrome and i can even select and quote the specific text which is something i just found out now.

• Like 1

Just now, Jex said:

On a side note, these forums are rubbish! I can't even select text?

They didn't take your money, you handed it over to them. If anything having the game in EA has made the progress slower.

7 minutes ago, Jex said:

Do you mean the "new engine" as the one they stuck in a year ago which was a year and a half over their own, stated timeframe?

See this is what I mean by not keeping up with what they write. The "new engine" wasn't put in a year ago, it has been in progress for years and we got one part of it with 0.60.

11 minutes ago, Jex said:

I suggested years ago now to make everything more overgrown and run down. They can change and add to the map so much but can't add more stuff to make it look like authentic?

Weapon sway is rubbish if it's still the same as it was over a year ago. I can state for a fact that when you aim down a rifle it does not "drag" like that. Having been an actual soldier, I can perfectly account for that. I'd say neither the Dev team have been in the Army nor have they done any more than a few camping holidays if this is their version of "hardocre".

BTW - nobody "jumps" over anything in the army when you have full kit and a huge bergen on your back. Not unless you're being shot at, at any rate ;)

You would know about sway/overgrowth if you read the status reports.

51 minutes ago, Exorade said:

Are those early access games?

Entirely irrelevant. They were all made by one person and 2 of those are space games of massive complexity but then I guerss making a space game with newtonian physics, procedural generation of planets, ship mods so you can build your own ships, control an AI fleet - oh yes that's real easy stuff to do all by yourself.

Quit making excuses. You have no idea what other people are doing and jumping up and down, defending DayZ by trying to tell me somehow they're special and need more time?

34 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

I don't see how that's name calling. The majority of players want modding support because they think it would be the easiest and fastest route for the game to become what they want it to be. Rather than to trust the devs when they say their decision to rework the engine will pay off in the end. If you didn't see the quote i was referring to here it is:

EDIT: Just looking at your previous comment:

It would seem your the one name calling.

You obviously cannot work out what name calling means. You're making assertions and claims that are literally pulled out of the air, I'm making a factual statement that's true.

4 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

What browser are you using? It's working perfectly fine for me on Chrome and i can even select and quote the specific text which is something i just found out now.

LOL Firefox though thinking about it now, it might be the version I have to use at work,.

Instead of seeing new trees, items and what the animation team is doing in development videos, show me the development progress of bug fixing, vehicles and weapons in progress.

Just make a development video showcasing the work in progress on vehicles, bug fixes and weapons only, even if its just some lines on some program and a sketch.

Need some proof that they are actually working on something, dont we boys? Show us something lads

Edited by Benavides
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

They didn't take your money, you handed it over to them. If anything having the game in EA has made the progress slower.

See this is what I mean by not keeping up with what they write. The "new engine" wasn't put in a year ago, it has been in progress for years and we got one part of it with 0.60.

Well since it's pretty obvious I haven't been here, hence the title of my thread, it would tell you I haven't read any status reports but from what I'm reading here, they're not worth reading.

And no, they took my money. When I hand over money for something at a shop they take it from me - are you going to be that childish with your argumentation that I'll start to ignore you? They made tens of millions out of the SA and the MOD. 4 years on isn't really an excuse.

• Like 1

So am I reading this right? They're using DAYZ money to develop their new engine, that we'll see in 4 more years for Arma 4?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jex said:

This is the best post so far in this thread :)

You're right in a lot of ways - nobody is going to come back, there won't be a resurgence, that ship sailed years ago now. I'd argue that as a "Hardcore Survival Simulator" DayZ isn't even close. Has any development been made on the "survival" aspect? Have new diseases been introduced? Is there a complex medical system?

I ask this because I got back in the game the other day and drank from one of the 1000 water pumps spread across the map, ate a bunch of apples, killed some chickens with ease - ate a few cans of stuff - if this is "survival" then I'll invite you all to go spend a weekend in the wilderness somewhere with nothing but a wrag and a flare and see how you get on.

This game is easy mode. In fact it's so easy to "survive" I'm wondering where the "hardcore" element is? Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun but I can't say it's hardcore since there's food and water everywhere.

As for a console version, that might make a console community but PC players won't be coming back because of console players so presumably the PC version is pretty much dead which would explain the incredibly slow dev process.

NO...This is best post so far:)
im also thinking that what is hardcore in this game and sometimes thinking that do devs have some clear plan what kind of hardcore gameplay dayz gonna be?...one dev wants walkie talkies for everyone,and one dev dont.....is there third person view?
apple problem,chicken problem,water problem?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jex said:

Entirely irrelevant. They were all made by one person and 2 of those are space games of massive complexity

Of course it's relevant.  Those people didn't have a working stable version of the game from the start of the development process, for the consumers to play with, while developing different parts of the said game simulatenously.

edit: Jesus Christ, ignorance is a bliss. Enjoy it.

Edited by Exorade

3 minutes ago, Jex said:

So am I reading this right? They're using DAYZ money to develop their new engine, that we'll see in 4 more years for Arma 4?

The engine is specifically tailored to support DayZ's design. However it was also designed in mind to be modular to allow it to be forked for production of future BI games.

Why wouldn't a game development company use their profits to support their current and future projects?

20 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Do you have more info on this please?

18 minutes ago, Jex said:

You obviously cannot work out what name calling means. You're making assertions and claims that are literally pulled out of the air, I'm making a factual statement that's true.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/name-calling

This has nothing to do with making these out of the air claims and assertions.

What I said was factual too. I literally quoted what he said.

8 minutes ago, Jex said:

Well since it's pretty obvious I haven't been here, hence the title of my thread, it would tell you I haven't read any status reports but from what I'm reading here, they're not worth reading.

And no, they took my money. When I hand over money for something at a shop they take it from me - are you going to be that childish with your argumentation that I'll start to ignore you? They made tens of millions out of the SA and the MOD. 4 years on isn't really an excuse.

Selective ignorance is your right.
If you can't bother to inform yourself when you're pointed towards the information given to you directly from the people working on the game the discussion isn't worth continuing.

Have a nice day.

4 minutes ago, Exorade said:

Of course it's relevant.  Those people didn't have a working stable version of the game from the start of the development process, for the consumers to play with, while developing different parts of the said game simulatenously.

No it's irrelevant. The point is it's one person making a game in less time! Not to mention the follow up post I made of smaller teams doing more. In the case of 7 Days, they went to an entirely new engine.

Just now, Jex said:

No it's irrelevant. The point is it's one person making a game in less time! Not to mention the follow up post I made of smaller teams doing more. In the case of 7 Days, they went to an entirely new engine.

A different version of a pre-made engine if I remember right, correct me if wrong though, same for Rust.

.......as the developers fiddle Rome burns.

Powerful barbarian armies - PUBG and Escape from Tarkov - are marching against the feeble playercount legions of DayZ.

It's time to wake up BI!

Edited by Lexman61
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DannyDog said:

The engine is specifically tailored to support DayZ's design. However it was also designed in mind to be modular to allow it to be forked for production of future BI games.

Why wouldn't a game development company use their profits to support their current and future projects?

Because when people spend money for ONE game, to use that funding and cut your dev team to a minumum isn't fair play. How does this need to be explained though? Do you like being ripped off? If you gave me £40 million to make a game and then 4 years later I have nothing and then you find out I cut the dev team in half and spent half the money on luxury holidays you'd be ok with that?

1 minute ago, Jex said:

Because when people spend money for ONE game, to use that funding and cut your dev team to a minumum isn't fair play. How does this need to be explained though? Do you like being ripped off? If you gave me £40 million to make a game and then 4 years later I have nothing and then you find out I cut the dev team in half and spent half the money on luxury holidays you'd be ok with that?

It is fine if you're not happy with the speed, but no reason to add lies to back them up...