Sign in to follow this  
Influence_X

Status Report and Walkie Talkies

58 minutes ago, Five_Seven_Clown said:

The DH Kiwi is just an Easter egg. I would expect to find a walkie-talkie on an infected first responder before I found one in an old wooden house!

True all the emergencies services people have one in real life. Infected are people, so they should have the last things they had before going mad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kopo79 said:

please....no...the kiwi in in dean zombie is just stupid.
people....if you want radios,loot the houses.
come on...im the only one who wanna hardcore survival sim?...
im crying....nooooooooo....
watch this video please... 

I totally disagree, during the alpha/beta phase having a better form of "optional" communication does not make the game any less "hardcore". And will serve to increase player interaction, especially since loot was reduced on the coastal cities.

That video doesn't prove any point. 

Edited by Influence_X

my message in the SR: 

Imagine 50+ players talking in the radio at the same time (and its planned up to 100 slots, right?)... I don't think it's very good idea, unless they limited it to a 5km range (which is about 1/4 of the map), not global.

In other hand, what about if the radios could enable a global chat (or area restricted) that shows your message to those in the frequency for 5 seg before disappearing? I think that the mod with those messages that kept going up and never fading were a bit of a immersion breaker.

Also, i think that the radio shouldn't take a slot, it should be a wearable IMO.  IRL radios are attached to your belt/waist area.

What do you guys think?

Edited by icrush
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, icrush said:

my message in the SR: 

Imagine 50+ players talking in the radio at the same time (and its planned up to 100 slots, right?)... I don't think it's very good idea, unless they limited it to a 5km range (which is about 1/4 of the map), not global.

In other hand, what about if the radios could enable a global chat (or area restricted) that shows your message to those in the frequency for 5 seg before disappearing? I think that the mod with those messages that kept going up and never fading were a bit of a immersion breaker.

Also, i think that the radio shouldn't take a slot, it should be a wearable IMO.  IRL radios are attached to your belt/waist area.

What do you guys think?

Radios wont have such a large range during 1.0. (there's a radio station for a reason) I see no problem with radios being a form of "opt in" side chat for the moment. You can always change the channel or drop your radio if you dont want to participate. 

I also agree that radios should be a clip on, or they should fit into a special slot like combat knifes on combat boots. Even if you do have 50+ people assuming EVERYONE has a walkie talkie and hasnt dropped it, EVERYONE has a functioning battery, and EVERYONE has it turned on and in their hand... it will only last so long before batteries start dying. 

Edited by Influence_X
  • Like 1

Any mention of giving the audio from the walkie talkie an actual filter?

As well as the condition of the walkie talkie and battery would determine the strength of the filter.

I think at the moment there isn't much of a differentiation between a player's regular direct voip and the voip from the radio.

Albeit the guy is using voices from Bioshock it still shows what it could be like in-game.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DannyDog said:

Any mention of giving the audio from the walkie talkie an actual filter?

As well as the condition of the walkie talkie and battery would determine the strength of the filter.

I think at the moment there isn't much of a differentiation between a player's regular direct voip and the voip from the radio.

Albeit the guy is using voices from Bioshock it still shows what it could be like in-game.

Before they increased the range to the entirety of the map, your walkie talkie would get fuzzy the farther away you were, even over text, messages would start sh.wi.ng up l..ke t.his 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Influence_X said:

Before they increased the range to the entirety of the map, your walkie talkie would get fuzzy the farther away you were, even over text, messages would start sh.wi.ng up l..ke t.his 

YES, great idea! The text also shouldn't be on screen for much time, or else it will just look like a regular global side chat.

20 hours ago, Influence_X said:

Radios wont have such a large range during 1.0. (there's a radio station for a reason) I see no problem with radios being a form of "opt in" side chat for the moment. You can always change the channel or drop your radio if you dont want to participate. 

I also agree that radios should be a clip on, or they should fit into a special slot like combat knifes on combat boots. Even if you do have 50+ people assuming EVERYONE has a walkie talkie and hasnt dropped it, EVERYONE has a functioning battery, and EVERYONE has it turned on and in their hand... it will only last so long before batteries start dying. 

You know functioning batteries are common, they spawn literally in any place and can be found if one looks well enough. Having a functioning battery with you all the time isn´t so hard. So that´s not a valid point

18 hours ago, exwoll said:

You know functioning batteries are common, they spawn literally in any place and can be found if one looks well enough. Having a functioning battery with you all the time isn´t so hard. So that´s not a valid point

It's a totally valid point, not everyone looks for batteries... or will be searching for them once their only one dies. Hell... some people cant even seem to find food properly. 

19 minutes ago, Influence_X said:

It's a totally valid point, not everyone looks for batteries... or will be searching for them once their only one dies. Hell... some people cant even seem to find food properly. 

They dont look for batteries because they don't need them (they dont use radios, nor flashlights). The only ones that constantly looks for them are the ones that use a radio (as myself) or the end gear people that need power for their scopes and the snipers for their rangefinders. 

If you give everyone a radio, everyone will start noticing them and picking them up. And as I said, you only need a couple of hours looting to get your hands on 2-3 of them. 

In this scenario you end up with a lot of people with a lot of radios and a lot of batteries to power them indefinitely (my current character have a radio with the same battery for the last 2 weeks, and I turn the radio frequently to check if there are some bambis in the city I plan to loot or a player is really close to me (by the background noise).

You will have to reduce the spawn rate of batteries or their longevity, which will really suck for all other uses that a battery has. 

Edited by exwoll

14 hours ago, exwoll said:

They dont look for batteries because they don't need them (they dont use radios, nor flashlights). The only ones that constantly looks for them are the ones that use a radio (as myself) or the end gear people that need power for their scopes and the snipers for their rangefinders. 

If you give everyone a radio, everyone will start noticing them and picking them up. And as I said, you only need a couple of hours looting to get your hands on 2-3 of them. 

In this scenario you end up with a lot of people with a lot of radios and a lot of batteries to power them indefinitely (my current character have a radio with the same battery for the last 2 weeks, and I turn the radio frequently to check if there are some bambis in the city I plan to loot or a player is really close to me (by the background noise).

You will have to reduce the spawn rate of batteries or their longevity, which will really suck for all other uses that a battery has. 

I still think it would increase player interaction for the alpha/beta phase of the game to let everyone have a radio at start. Literally the ONLY problem is one channel of the radio becoming kind of spammed... and only on high pop servers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Influence_X said:

I still think it would increase player interaction for the alpha/beta phase of the game to let everyone have a radio at start. Literally the ONLY problem is one channel of the radio becoming kind of spammed... and only on high pop servers. 

We only have like 5 channels. The spamming is felt starting with 15-20 players (been playing a lot of RP lately). Indeed it would boost the interaction #, but the quality will decline considerably, since people doesn´t get the radios for an ingame purpose being ready to use it, but will just do random stuff with it -.-.

8 hours ago, exwoll said:

We only have like 5 channels. The spamming is felt starting with 15-20 players (been playing a lot of RP lately). Indeed it would boost the interaction #, but the quality will decline considerably, since people doesn´t get the radios for an ingame purpose being ready to use it, but will just do random stuff with it -.-.

And since the batteries have limited life, it's encouraging players to actively seek things besides PVP to achieve a goal not related to playing mil-sim COD. I'm not seeing the problem here. 

1 hour ago, Influence_X said:

And since the batteries have limited life, it's encouraging players to actively seek things besides PVP to achieve a goal not related to playing mil-sim COD. I'm not seeing the problem here. 

On 5/19/2017 at 0:34 PM, exwoll said:

I don´t think it will affect the PVPers, they will use it to know where people is to get to action faster, or to brag about the people they killed :v

dont give any help for players...but make players to need help from other players...infected more powerfull(causing infections)...make people to get need stuff...medical,fire making stuff,food...game mechanics that need two players...
i have even thought sometimes that maybe when large group, 4-6 players are together,infected just scream but dont come close easilly....lone wolfers would be in trouble but sneaky tactics,they can also survive....but with little army of you and your buddies....it would be more safe to enter the city.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 10:22 AM, kopo79 said:

dont give any help for players...but make players to need help from other players...infected more powerfull(causing infections)...make people to get need stuff...medical,fire making stuff,food...game mechanics that need two players...
i have even thought sometimes that maybe when large group, 4-6 players are together,infected just scream but dont come close easilly....lone wolfers would be in trouble but sneaky tactics,they can also survive....but with little army of you and your buddies....it would be more safe to enter the city.

Starting with a walkie talkie isnt "giving help"... It's facilitating communication.