Sign in to follow this  
Henk Grunn

Player interaction and loot distribution.

Right, this may sound like a broken record. But let me give you my view on the chernarus plus map from a different angle. ( I already mentioned once that I would prefer original chernarus with all buildings opened up)

The current situation is that there is, even on full servers, hardly any player interaction. imo, this is due to the high number of key lootspots in the new Chernarus plus maps.

In the mod it worked like this:
Player got an infection by a zombie. Needed antibiotics, or otherwise he would die. Player had limited choices. Chernogorsk, electro, berezino hospitals, or on the limited medical tents. Highly needed loot forced players to certain spots, thus player interaction.

The above situation will give the players a quest, where he is force to think about his approach.

On the Chernarus plus map:

You can almost get all stuff everywhere. Thus, little chance to meet players.

My simplistic conclusion is, if the devs don't force players to visit a certain limited amount of loot spots, there will hardly be any player interaction.

This game is now 3.5 years into development. Still we have no chance on infection by zombies. Also, with the current direction it is hard to predict if Dayz Standalone will ever be viable for any playstyle.

Map is not balanced for current playercount. But 100 player servers?? how many small clans will be able to afford that? it's expensive.
Pvp is a desync lotery.
Survival is not viable either. Food everywhere. There is no risk nor need for anything. No infections, no challenges. nothing.

Yeah ALPHA. I know. But please show some direction. Show something viable. Show some direction. Even if the engine is optimized, and desync is less, there is hardly any playstyle that will enjoy this game. Makes me sad.

Edited by Henk Grunn
spelling
  • Like 3

I was under the impression that the devs were wait for all the core bits of technology to be in place before they start balancing the game.

i think that kos is never gonna reduce if there is no some karma or mentalstate.
if you need antibiotics,just kill everyone,maybe someone has it.you cant risk that you are asking some stranger that "do you have medicine?"...everyone will kill you.when there is soft skills,everybody kill you more instantly.

Lets hope gameplay breakthrough soon, it is all about core development now......... I guess, thats why gameplay felt a bit disappointing last year. 

By reading numerous posts about DayZ mod, some people just being back seat devs, and me being back seat dev too... It is obvious that there are endless ways this game can be.

Seems like devs took harder route - devoting themselves more for the core, than they planned. I wish we already had 100+ population servers, bikes, bicycles, no major bugs, no desync, spiced up gameplay, statistics, rankings, more goals... 

The gameplay is quite clear answer - put it to dust in the shelves till it is in good shape, and just let devs do their thing.

But personally I see no logic why gameplay got a bit dull. It is suicidal for DayZ. Some players might not ever come back. 

I think a lot of the issue with players complaining about lack of interaction stems from their own difficulty in adapting to changes and relearning the flow of players after additions and changes to the map.

If you want to see players, go to Staroye, Novy/Stary, Gorka and Polana, run up and down the northern highway between Sverograd and Novo, make frequent trips between Tisy and Kamensk or between Tisy and the western roadblock, camp Grishino.

It's not super hard to find interactions if you look in the right places, it's just that those places have moved around a bit, and there are fewer overall players right now.

6nNRtGE.jpg 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I think a lot of the issue with players complaining about lack of interaction stems from their own difficulty in adapting to changes and relearning the flow of players after additions and changes to the map.

If you want to see players, go to Staroye, Novy/Stary, Gorka and Polana, run up and down the northern highway between Sverograd and Novo, make frequent trips between Tisy and Kamensk or between Tisy and the western roadblock, camp Grishino.

It's not super hard to find interactions if you look in the right places, it's just that those places have moved around a bit, and there are fewer overall players right now.

Reveal hidden contents

6nNRtGE.jpg 

Nuff said, specially Staroye, Novy and Stary Sobor and Gorka are the hotspots currently.

Congratulations with the 2 k posts by the way. :)

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Still not like the mod, which OP is comparing to.

So many locations now, much harder to find players. They could actually be inside a building. Wow! The zombie radar isn't nearly as effective, vehicles are rarer and take far longer to repair, you can fashion a leg-fixer anywhere, and you don't need to go to NWAF and enter one of only two barracks to find various specific weapons.

He has a point.

44 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

Still not like the mod, which OP is comparing to.

So many locations now, much harder to find players. They could actually be inside a building. Wow! The zombie radar isn't nearly as effective, vehicles are rarer and take far longer to repair, you can fashion a leg-fixer anywhere, and you don't need to go to NWAF and enter one of only two barracks to find various specific weapons.

He has a point.

As I understood it coming into the game back around .51 when I thought it was roughly halfway done, this game was not necessarily supposed to be like the mod, but rather a standalone title built around the basic premise of the mod.
I suppose people who played the mod might have different expectations of the experience.

My main gripe coming into the game was the lack of interaction, as there was little more to do than run around and shoot people as they tried to get to military areas.  It sounds like most people mean "interaction" in terms of "find people to shoot at more easily."
People talk about the game being boring and dead now.  I can't imagine the days when everybody would just go aim at the handful of sure thing loot spawns; it's almost like a paid hunt on a private ranch, with 20 poor saps drawing straws to see who gets to shoot at the 3 cornfed bucks standing at the feeder station.
At least now there is the option of getting a group together and establishing a supply network; requiring vehicle sourcing and maintenance, storage solutions, extensive traveling and hauling supplies, and of course defending yourselves from people who shoot anything that moves.
If I'm playing on the same server and getting to know the regulars and the common paths and points of interest, I have very little difficulty finding people on a populated server.  But I have had to change my habits and methods a few times.

I guess it comes down to what people want out of the experience.  This brings up the subject of whether they are playing the game wrong, or are playing the wrong game.

If I want the satisfaction of landing a trophy trout, I either spend a lot of time trolling or sitting bait on the bottom of a lake, or restlessly fling lures out into a fast river full of snags; I wouldn't expect success to come easily or often.
If I want constant action and easy pickings, I might go fish for perch or smallies in a shallow lake or lazy stretch of river.  I definitely wouldn't go fishing for sturgeon if I were wanting constant excitement.

People just need to decide what they want, and try to go about it in the way that seems most likely to yield the desired result.  The mod still exists, AFAIK.  I'm content with adjusting my behavior while I see how things are turning out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, emuthreat said:

snip..

I guess it comes down to what people want out of the experience.  This brings up the subject of whether they are playing the game wrong, or are playing the wrong game.

snip..

a really good question for many players.

Some players might not ever come back. 

I see this concern all the time and I simply don't understand it: If a person would say "fuck this game, I'm never playing it again because it's shit and despite being in active development can never get better!" then they are being irrational, unreasonable and just as naive as someone who considers the dev team to be saints that can do no wrong. People are so melodramatic!

They'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

just started to play with my own rules again and im in trouble.
its night and because reduced gamma,i cant see nothing.there is monsters outside.im hungry,soon thirsty.i can use only alcohol purified rags and bandages to stop bleeding,so,really cant go outside.
i wanna safe my one rag at start.i cant make firedrill kit,i can only make fire with matches or flare....and wanna safe flare also.
apples only from the orchards.hmm...i need help!!!...
so,this situtiation got me thinking...was there in mod dayz some starter kit what you could choose when fresh spawning?
i would like to have now walkie talkie to test if there is anybody on server:)
walkie talkie and players lack of everything=asking for help:)

Edited by kopo79

they mentioned OP long ago in a status report adding workshops and lumber mills that players would need to use to do certain things. gun mods would have to be done at the workshops as well lumber and logs would be made or cut at the lumber mill. hence creating a hub of player interaction. folks will most certainly camp these areas to bandit for guns and mats as well folks will guard for the same thing. It's in the works I haven't heard them discuss it in quite a while though. I was pumped for the idea and hope it atleast starts getting implemented with these new barrels for guns and base building. As well I think you should have to go to a garage to do certain things with cars as much as folks will be pissed at that I think changing a tire with just a crescent wrench is dumb as hell but we are in alpha so let's hope it gets better.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, gannon46 said:

As well I think you should have to go to a garage to do certain things with cars as much as folks will be pissed at that I think changing a tire with just a crescent wrench is dumb as hell but we are in alpha so let's hope it gets better.

Over realism and over complicated gameplay will get a game nowhere. If people want actual reality, then go, turn off PC and live lol

6 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Over realism and over complicated gameplay will get a game nowhere. If people want actual reality, then go, turn off PC and live lol

I do not quite agree with you.
In a game it needs tasks / challenges / ways.
There are in each game these things, some have quests, others are deathmatch / kills and in DayZ it is the mechanics of the country and all other Players.
Realism is relative.
To change a wheel it needs more than just a tire and a cross-wrench in the RL, you still need a lift, and a possibility for air pumping and a tool to loosen the wheel nut and and and. you will have to chance for a Wheel more time, the animation will go over 10 minutes.
The realism in a game like DayZ is supposed to cause you to have many IF / THEN / ELSE decisions.
The mechanics become quests, and you will have to solve these quests to get to the goal.
This is what I mean by realism in a game, and this is something that has nothing to do with the RL, otherwise I would really plant pumpkins in the garden instead of in the game, if both lasts equally long, then I really can eat them.

for the realism and player interactions...maybe every animation/every action in game should be less time consuming when two players are near of action...maybe three players,changing tire would be supers fast.
future base building or even placing the tent should be differential in time,when more players are in group.

The Devs said that any animation can be canceled, this solves the problem. An interruption at eating means that you have less food in the stomach, a break at the tire change means it is not finished.

3 hours ago, kopo79 said:

for the realism and player interactions...maybe every animation/every action in game should be less time consuming when two players are near of action...maybe three players,changing tire would be supers fast.

Tire changes are already ridiculously fast. We don't even need to use a jack to raise the car up. Two, there's not a whole lot a second person would significantly speed up the process (other than holding an extra tire, which they can already do), except for maybe holding onto the lug nuts while the animation is in process.

3 hours ago, kopo79 said:

future base building or even placing the tent should be differential in time,when more players are in group.

For more complex base building structures, that might be worth considering, but there's a fine line between 'additional players may speed up construction times' and overly micro-managing a relatively small portion of the game unnecessarily. 

• Like 1

I still suggest to turn off PC, get a car and work with it if you want that much detail of realism. What you guys want will make vehicles even more unused than they are now, and game will be too time consuming. Well but if that is what people want...................... I have a suggestion for greater realism, what about ruining engine if you use wrong fuel, what about separating tires from rims, what about increasing amount of car parts to be needed, what about having to learn "mechanic soft skill" to be able to change some parts, how about death if you crash, what about......... It is easy to be back seat developer. But do you think about what it all would result in ? Cars are already too complicated to use, at least for lonely player, and then there are bugs..... you know.

Pls devs don't....

7 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

what about ruining engine if you use wrong fuel, what about separating tires from rims, what about increasing amount of car parts to be needed, what about having to learn "mechanic soft skill" to be able to change some parts, how about death if you crash, what about......... It is easy to be back seat developer. But do you think about what it all would result in ? Cars are already too complicated to use, at least for lonely player, and then there are bugs..... you know.

Pls devs don't....

Too late. If I remember correctly, in addition to what's shown here in this trello post, I think the devs have mentioned including things like brake lines and fluid, fuel lines, and engine belts too. I don't have any problem with that, though I could see why some people could find it overly challenging. I would also favor having both diesel and gasoline fuel (which one could differentiate with a simple smell test) and consequences if you don't check to make sure you use the wrong fuel. As for the fuel requirements for aircraft like the small plane (odds are it's a piston engine, so you could probably get away with regular gas for short periods, since we don't have to worry about icing and long term engine wear) and the little bird helicopter (IIRC, it has a gas turbine engine, so it would require Jet-A fuel, or at least kerosene, but I have seen claims of turbine helicopters using gasoline in dire situations, but I can't say if that is possible), I don't think we need to take things that far. At most, if there was both diesel and gasoline in the game (but not kerosene), I wouldn't mind if those were restricted to one fuel type.

If you're dislike of those things stems from the difficulty as a lone wolf to get a car up and running, consider thinking about it this way - bringing a vehicle back to a fully functional state is more of a group activity, but stealing that fully functional car is perhaps more suited to a lone wolf. I lone wolf a great deal, and when I'm in the mood to search for camps/bases, I try to pick up a battery and some spark and glow plugs along the way, just in case I happen to find a hidden vehicle. If I find a camp/base first, I can just ditch the car parts if there's anything worth taking.  

Edited by chambersenator
  • Like 1