Mantasisg

Why it is harder and harder to have interactions ?

For me DayZ is getting less interesting as it is getting more advanced, and I think that one of the main reasons is probability of experiencing interactions with other players, which, I think, also increases KOS players. To put it short the less you meet people, the less social they are in DayZ world, and it is like a virus. Newbies are totally asocial. And perhaps mostly newbies are playing right now. 

Is it on purpose ? Must the game paradoxically become worse, as it becomes better ?

I liked DayZ when it was worse. It sounds stupid, but it is true. It was better because you knew that you'll meet some people if you go to Electro, Berezino, Novo, other coast locations, NWA for more extreme gameplay, Tent city. Routes in between. Right now it is not happening, seems like everybody is spread through huge map of DayZ, 100square km. is indeed huge area for only 60players, and all on foot. It would take 20-30minutes to get something going on, and since 0.6 it was really weird, this time increased significantly, up to the point when it is just not worth spending time with DayZ. Because you need serious luck to get experiences. 

Stopped playing after 0.6 got released hoping that situation will change, and because I don't wan't to get DayZ played out before it gets to 1.0. The 0.61 update was really good IMO, but it didn't help for gameplay, first days are always fun as there are plenty of people still at the coast and still not spread  through the map. But later it is same ghost map.

And it is full year since 0.6, and thats it, 0.61 is still being patched.

Good luck with DayZ, I believe that it can be really awesome, as game core is pretty good, it is just gameplay which is getting worse. But amount of iterations in the rest few years, and what they did for gameplay didn't bring a lot of hope.

• Like 2

It`s an interesting topic and since the Frankieonpc1080p days of Dayz SA is over for like 5 years ago in that dayz SA arma 2 version - interaction is very important in this game. So a headset is a must for new dayz SA players, but you can also type and write to all nearby with (-) key button. You will always find KOS players in this setting, but I`ve notice the exact same issue, because no one stay at the coast anymore - they go north and west to good weapon spawn locations and military. The topic is interesting however, because it brings up an important topic related to communication not between the dayz dev. team, but among the players in this game, and it`s essential related to success in this type of survival game. Maybe it should be more obvious for new players how to communicate if they are not using a headset and not holding down (capslock) while trying to get new friends in-game - or trust new players which can be hard in this game, but it`s fun nonetheless. KoS is the easiest way @Mantasisg, because you don`t need to trust a new player who could shoot you in the back anytime in this game or hit you with an axe, and that`s where the issue starts in this game - most are doing it (KOS), because it`s a lot more difficult and more risk to communicate with total strangers in this game. 

• The main problem right now with 0.61 patch, and how this game is played is lack of game content and players near the coast to interact with and things to do in this game - you need Base building and you need at least 100 players on this map to create interesting player encounters, because a player base could be near the coast which create a lot more traffic all around the map, and just not focused around military barracks and spawn locations as it`s right now in Dayz SA 0.61. 
  • I hope they look into it in future dayz SA patches/content and add base building - it will get a lot more interest in this type of game the moment they announce it.))
Edited by Nebulae3

59 minutes ago, Mantasisg said:

For me DayZ is getting less interesting as it is getting more advanced, and I think that one of the main reasons is probability of experiencing interactions with other players, which, I think, also increases KOS players. To put it short the less you meet people, the less social they are in DayZ world, and it is like a virus. Newbies are totally asocial. And perhaps mostly newbies are playing right now. 

Good luck with DayZ, I believe that it can be really awesome, as game core is pretty good, it is just gameplay which is getting worse. But amount of iterations in the rest few years, and what they did for gameplay didn't bring a lot of hope.

Try a roleplay server on a private shard with a no KOS rule. Our server, Remnants DayZ RP, has lots of opportunity for player interactions that span the entire range of hero, survivor, and bandit.

Just check out videos to see some of the various types of interactions you can have on our server like ours:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEvIA-FsGIBBYs3a9Nxzv3w

• Like 3

I think KOS is happening because KOS, it is self inflicting issue. KOS was happening all the time, but when actual player density wasn't so low (when players wasn't spread so much), it was not so terrible, because there would be a lot of players hunting them. And you wouldn't be the only one suffering from them. At a time. Right now it is most likely that the first time you'll hear a shot in DayZ it will be a shot into you. Silence till then.

There has to be bandits, but right now as it is empty everywhere it is just very bad balance for KOS. Or should I say very good balance for KOS. 

42 minutes ago, Nebulae3 said:

focused around military barracks and spawn locations as it`s right now in Dayz SA 0.61. 

It actually should be that way. When you have map so big constant active traffic through the whole map is just going to restrict interactions. I'm sure that there would be very few bases at the coast. 

@Wolf of Thorns I may try that server, but I'm really sceptical about it. 

• Like 1

The problem with KoS is that this game is not currently built with player interaction as a focus. In my opinion DayZ SA has never had player interactions as a focus. When the game first came out everyone was hyped by all of the YouTube videos. People would torture each other, pretend to be axe murderers, band together to explore the huge map, etc. Most of us soon forgot the reason DayZ Mod had a karma system to begin with... to combat the KoS epidemic! People started complaining anytime someone suggested a solution to KoS citing "realism" or whatever the fuck...

My opinion: wait until modding support is added. Then you will have your interactions and vanilla DayZ will die.

• Like 3

Once the game is finished there will be servers that are always popular and full, probably because of active admins, community forums, set rules, attractive modifications and so on. I think it will sort itself out once the game hits late BETA and 1.0.

For full realism I'd suggest to uninstall DayZ after first death lol 

I'm sure that devs are saving all the candies for us till bugs will be very minor, and there are still plenty... just after yesterdays 30mins of play - spawned with unstuck character status - instant hypothermia, tired, died in few minutes. After respawning in some zombie fights noticed that Zombies are not synchronizing properly, delayed or too early hits, hard to shoot them, even when there seems to be no chance to miss them... 

I guess there is no point to unleash the beast (all the fun features and content) till bugs are solved, including bugs with new features and contents. But it is taking so much time.... It is best to take a break, till it will be possible to meet much more people at least. Without playing for whole day.

I'd really welcome smaller Map for more action. I think player density can be shrinked a lot and it will still be a survival, and not Counter Strike. Of course improvements on player mobility would help right there, but it will still be too big for only so much players.

• Like 1

The game or atleast vanilla to me will always be like this. KOS is easiest option and easiest playstyle IMO. why risk your gear your time to a stranger especially if he's armed to the teeth and add to that no negative consequences they can't simulate a conscious or guilt or insanity and those are things in a RL scenario that would keep a lot of people from just murdering everyone they see again IMO. until there is a negative side effect to just mass murdering folks players will choose the easiest way to succeed in game and to me it makes sense and I understand it or atleast I think I do. And I do like RP servers but then again a lot of them are plagued with people who are just KOS folks who find other ways of killing you right after meeting you through rule play and baiting. I played on a few and every military geared group as soon as you would run into them or say howdy they would just start insulting you waiting for you to say fuck you or something so that there other 5 cats could blast you and take your shit, that's not roleplay that's ruleplay and that's all i encountered for the most part especially when dealing with groups they still just want to kill everything that moves. Hard to play a character and RP when you know the douchebag is not in character and is baiting oh and good luck getting them for rule breaks unless you record every second of your interaction. fuck that I just break character and walk away so what's the point of RP if most folks can't RP due to rule play  or rule breaking. Again easier to just join a normal server and just blast everyone.

Edited by gannon46

The grab of PvP in DayZ has almost always been tied to loot, and the permadeath feeling players get from the "You are dead screen".. everyone wants to take or ruin someone else's time they spent gearing up and just as his fellow survivors wish to stay alive. Trusting others in DayZ is the hardest part of DayZ, the game is only made difficult and challenging because of others, fear of the unknown.

99% of player interaction I've ever had in DayZ has resulted in one of us dying at some point, whether it's been in an instant (KOS) or after establishing a fake trust. They get you when your backs turned, or you get them first. The other 1% has been meeting actual real friends ingame, unfortunately they all left after the SA was revealed/released and the mod started to die. I trust nobody in this game and in all likelihood never will, I am destined to be a kill or be killed type of player. You can blame the many, many players in the past who KOS for me becoming like that.

DayZ does not currently have any mechanics who stop KOS. There is no use to let another player live. More interaction will only come in when there are mechanics, there is a need for other players to go further or even survive. I think of things like the bood / saline bag. What if you need a syringe because every wound of an infected can mean your creeping death? Do you go alone in a certain area where especially Strong fast cleverly infected, just to risk your life for a weapon or a few cartridges? At the moment you can do EVERYTHING alone ... will it be so? Something else . 

When my head cinema is running: what if there is only so many public servers will be always full? Which means you can only join there at the last one that still has space? (A system that only opens a new server when all others are full or nearly full). You will have to live there with the people you meet ... no player will really interact if he has no reason or use to do so.

These interactions that are now there are very rare, on public I have never had a positive encounter, on non rules private I have already experienced interactions ... not always survived but there were words. Only on RP, the whole can be done in one frame, but there it is Showplay / Scriptplay or transparent to see the end.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

DayZ does not currently have any mechanics who stop KOS. There is no use to let another player live. More interaction will only come in when there are mechanics, there is a need for other players to go further or even survive. I think of things like the bood / saline bag. What if you need a syringe because every wound of an infected can mean your creeping death? Do you go alone in a certain area where especially Strong fast cleverly infected, just to risk your life for a weapon or a few cartridges? At the moment you can do EVERYTHING alone ... will it be so? Something else . 

When my head cinema is running: what if there is only so many public servers will be always full? Which means you can only join there at the last one that still has space? (A system that only opens a new server when all others are full or nearly full). You will have to live there with the people you meet ... no player will really interact if he has no reason or use to do so.   This sounds interesting at first, but then I remembered that I like to keep bases.  Would be a shame if my "home" server wasn't one of the first to appear during lower populated hours.

These interactions that are now there are very rare, on public I have never had a positive encounter, on non rules private I have already experienced interactions ... not always survived but there were words. Only on RP, the whole can be done in one frame, but there it is Showplay / Scriptplay or transparent to see the end.

I've been playing on Colony quite a bit lately. And while I have met a few people here and there over the past couple months, the past couple weeks it's been either Tisy or Stary for guaranteed PvP, or taking potshots at randos running in the distance.
I do keep finding random player stashes, which at this point I have no reason to rob anymore, but I can never seem to track down the owners.  There are people playing, and they are all definitely doing something, but I've spent a couple 3 hour sessions making big loops around the NW and seeing or hearing nobody.
It would be interesting to see how some of the more recent heatmaps are looking.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

The problem with KoS is that this game is not currently built with player interaction as a focus. In my opinion DayZ SA has never had player interactions as a focus. When the game first came out everyone was hyped by all of the YouTube videos. People would torture each other, pretend to be axe murderers, band together to explore the huge map, etc. Most of us soon forgot the reason DayZ Mod had a karma system to begin with... to combat the KoS epidemic! People started complaining anytime someone suggested a solution to KoS citing "realism" or whatever the fuck...

My opinion: wait until modding support is added. Then you will have your interactions and vanilla DayZ will die.

Don't confuse DayZ: Mod with bastardized versions of it.  The vanilla DayZ developed by Dean Hall had no karma system and it was still the best DayZ experience ever so far.

43 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Don't confuse DayZ: Mod with bastardized versions of it.  The vanilla DayZ developed by Dean Hall had no karma system and it was still the best DayZ experience ever so far.

Uhh... I am almost 100% sure DayZ Mod had karma in it. It would change your skin based on your humanity value.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

There is no use to let another player live.

That. There is not even a single reason to let yourself take captiva apart from "want to try it". KOS frenzy has nothing to do with realism either. Humans have individual skills and bonding up offers advantages in survival. Since characters in DayZ are just shells with no skills or any use apart from another trigger button ... well, you get the picture. No reward for and no point in interaction. Killing is most efficient and most profitable.

And last but not least the incredible shitload of weapons and lack of other items sort of gives you an idea of what you are supposed to do. There are more different weapons than different food items available (realism :P )

• Like 5

Yep first of all you have to meet people if you want to have an interaction... Sadly not happening so much...

But yesterday it was different, not sure if it was luck, or is it really better in RP servers. I joined random heavily populated server, turned out to be RP server. In short ~ 50minutes playtime I've met 4 people, and it felt like DayZ. One at Gorka actually spoke to me, I wanted to talk to him more but he killed me very quickly, after asking "-Do you know 1st rule of DayZ ?" :D Then one freshspawn at Berezino also talked with me, and two armed Bandits were shooting everything what moves.

It was quite some time since I've met so much players in such short time span. 

I agree, would be great to see current players heat map, I'd guess that it would be much more spread. 

I'm pretty sure that probability of meeting people has to do a lot with KOS. IMO, if you'll only meet someone in 2-3hours and you are already quite heavily looted you probably are looking for pvp, and will feel more fragile because of collected loot value, but you'll also want to finally use your gun, because you spent so much time for it and now what ? Why you spent all that time to collect stuff, if you don't have real reason to use it for hours to come ? So you become really protective, thats when you engage military zones for battles. Or become bandit, or hero, or both :D But what if you still don't meet, even see anyone for hours ? It is most likely that you'll shoot first person you'll see. Plus if you kill anyone nobody will come after you, because most likely there are nobody around to play hero. And I'm pretty sure that Bandit comes first and Hero next, and right now there is mostly only Bandit, and nobody to oppose him. Also how quickly dead player bodies are disappearing now ? It used to take a while, it was an indication that something is going on, it was that moment when you look somebody and you know he was there, because it is still warm.

It is different at the coast or till your character is not geared a lot, you are more relaxed then, you care less, and take bigger risks in interactions, go closer to people, talk to them more. In the very early days when I bought DayZ I remember a lot more players with medium or higher level of gear playing heroes, talking to freshspawns and noobs, helping them, much more roleplay, everything more. I wonder if it was easier to get loot, or just community was better ? I remember 4-5 people meeting at the same street of the coast quite often. Shame that I had to enjoy it with 15-20FPS then, now I have 50-60FPS, but don't have the gameplay. 

KOS is severe not only because there are no mechanics to prevent it. IMO it does have a lot with probability of meeting other survivors, player density in the map, over protectiveness, not being relaxed, not having clear goals, desperately trying to make use of the loot before death/end of play session.

How many times your play session started and ended without any significant event ? Not everybody can afford to play for 2-3 hours continuously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

-snipZ-

This sounds interesting at first, but then I remembered that I like to keep bases.  Would be a shame if my "home" server wasn't one of the first to appear during lower populated hours.

-snipZ-

You're right.

But ... exactly that creates a new point of view. There is no "my base" in this view so there is only "a base" it would be the pure hardcore version of a "difficulty level public Hive".

Important: This can only be done if there are several "different public hives".

For new players, this is a nightmare, as it would not be possible with a buddy together to go to a server.

>>>The whole head cinema please do not take too seriously ... that was an idea which I had in 2 seconds under great tiredness ×_×  <<<

1 hour ago, Noctoras said:

And last but not least the incredible shitload of weapons and lack of other items sort of gives you an idea of what you are supposed to do. There are more different weapons than different food items available (realism :P )

Probably yes, if we count in military and and police weapons. I wouldn't say that there are so much civil weapons, quite plenty though.... But I find guns more often than food too, a bit harder to find bullets, bullets probably are as hard to find as food. I'd say that I would expect to find more bullets than guns though.. As for food - perhaps it is ok, because it has to have value. I don't know if there has to be more kinds of food, would give more depth perhaps, but i don't think that it is an issue... There are quite a lot of food kinds anyway.

It is a very difficult game to get right. Everything is either too much, or not enough. 

On the private hives I play on (some a bit PvP oriented some suggesting roleplay without real enforcement) I feel the balance of people that are friendly and minding their own business, wanting to group up, crazy silent killers or just bad boys is perfect.

If I want to be someones companion it is possible in most sessions and the crazy killers or malicious people offer a nice challenge that is easily avoidable by being paranoid and rewarding to fend off.

I am very happy with player interactions and behaviour I experience myself!

What are those servers ? 

I haven't checked Remnants server just yet. Might be nice.

I also understand that there are people who are happy with DayZ gameplay pace right now, but I don't understand them :D Maybe you guys are just lonelyproof haha

4 hours ago, JBURNS489 said:

Not finding many people to interact with is probably due to DayZ's player count being lower than it has ever been....just a guess though.

http://steamcharts.com/app/221100

Yes it is definitely not helping either. The selection of well populated servers is pretty low, but there are some full servers anyway, so it shouldn't be very big issue. Although it is. 

This issue exists because it is harder and harder to have interactions, people stop, or lets hope just taking a break till some updates will bring better gameplay.

Personally I hope that people like those who I met playing in early 2015 will come back, I had incredible interactions, felt like in a great improvised spectacle a lot of times. But it was coast and NWA days, game itself was worse, but it was more fun.

It was also great that dead body would not despawn so quickly... I understand that Devs changed it in favor to performance. 

• Like 1

In a nutshell: the behavior of the players will only change if the gameplay changes.

If the changes are incomming then: Some or many players will "scream with joy" and others will "scream with rage". I think there is only because I will die 2-3x just because I absolutely want to have an M4 / AK, because I have with the Sporter the feeling a "nothing to be". Only when the anger of the Apocalypse drives us into madness, Then we will also close together and see players as their own chance to move something in Chernarus.

If we die because of hunger because only one apple is on the tree, or 2 infected us the access to the house where the can of beans lies, because we have no clean rags or alcohol, no safe meele weapon .... small things the now Never been a problem, become a challenge.

Only then will something change. And this will be at the earliest with beta no matter what we are discussing.

Until there is "interaction" (no matter in which form and course) takes place only on some servers (private) ... on public it needs what is written above.

PS:  A confusion actually, there are currently few players playing the DayZ, and the less there is, "Team-mates and buddies" are searched in all forums, because their own mates do not play the game anymore. Ingame will be anything and everyone "instant-killed" .... for fear or frustration or boredom .... any one or one of your victims could be your new buddy. A spiral in the zero point.

Edit: sry for baad translations

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

Quite confusing post ^^^

i think he is saying too much kos is driving some players away from the game and that more players should work together to survive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

i think he is saying too much kos is driving some players away from the game and that more players should work together to survive.

Right, this is my hope to 0.63 

A way that the game really requires to have more than a stone knife and a few apples.

• Like 1