Sign in to follow this  
E.Isaac

Newbie Questions

So I played this game for a little bit quite a while ago.  Just installed it again and have a few questions.  So one thing I noticed right away was they didn't fix the Olympic running zombies.  But one thing that changed and perhaps I am choosing the wrong servers, but food and water are very hard to come by.  I am constantly hungry and thirsty.  I managed to find a can of beans and a bottle of water, then a can of sardines.  I ate all the beans, all the sardines, and drank all the water, and still was hungry and thirst.  Are there difficulty levels I am not seeing?  Loot drop differences?  

• Like 1

Hi. No there are not different loot servers. DayZ has changed. You can no longer trust in chunk food. You must now also find alternative types of food. That is, apple trees, berries, fish, chickens or other animals hunt and fry their meat and eat, or the cultivation. We are now where it was with the patch 0.55, only we adapted to this situation because it was made step by step and not as radical as from 0.54 to the beginning of 0.55. Use the mechanics of the game, and you will be stuffed. 

Your experience is the level.

Edit: and go away from the coast in the west from Chernarus... here are differend and more food/loot.But a survival on the coast is still possible, just no longer only with cans foods, or just very hard.

Edited by Sqeezorz
  • Like 1

kill a chicken, make a fishing hook with the bones, and go fishing.  endless supply of food.

• Like 1

You need to look inside the clothes.  There you'll find tins, sometimes ammo, and the odd useful item.  The Infected also have tinned food on them occassionally.  The Dean Hall Infected always has a kiwi on him (because he's from New Zealand...)

The other 'free' food is the apple. 

Otherwise, you're hunting and fishing (chickens are everywhere and will provide two chicken breasts, feathers, guts and two bones).  Bones can be crafted into a spear, bone arrows and fish hooks.  Wolves have good eating on them, if you survive of course. 

Regarding horticulture - pumpkins are your perfect orange friends.

If anything, there's still too much 'free' food available.  But that's just a personal opinion.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies folks, I did not know you could find all this other food.  I did kill a chicken with a lucky find early on being a 10-22 with ammo.  However I was unsure how to do anything with it.  It gave me no options to do anything at least.  And fishing, I would assume you need to find line, and how do you craft the hooks?  What tools are needed?  Is rather hard I must say, given the fact the zombies at times glitch and as mentioned chase you down like they trained for the Olympics lol.

I do not, and other than looking for antibiotics, I am not sure how to stop being sick either...  And as an edit, I come back to game and I died from being sick..  Ohh boy this game is a mental chore.

Edited by E.Isaac

Died from being sick once again... Getting rather tired of this.  Got some alcoholic bottle that said treats wounds, but it only allowed me to drink it. 

Edited by E.Isaac

1 hour ago, E.Isaac said:

Died from being sick once again... Getting rather tired of this.  Got some alcoholic bottle that said treats wounds, but it only allowed me to drink it. 

- only drink from wells, or water you've purified with water purification tablets

- don't eat raw meat, burned meat, or the wrong (blue) berries

- lol don't drink the alcohol.  or the windex.  or gasoline

- basically same rules as real liife

how to make a fire and cook:

- knife in hand, walk up to a tree

- take 2 bark, and 3 branches

- with the knife, cut 2 of the branches into thirds (giving you 6 sticks)

- combine 1 bark with 1 stick to make a fireplace, then add 4 more of the sticks to it

- combine 1 bark with the last stick to make a drill firestarter

- place the fireplace somewhere

- put the firestarter in your hand and use it to start the fire

- this fire will last long enough to cook 3 pieces of meat

- put food (meat etc) on the long stick you have left and hold it to the fire

- go to your inventory screen, and watch the meat

- when a piece is cooked (the change is obvious), swap it for a raw piece

- don't let it burn, because burned food may make you sick (smaller chance than raw but still a chance)

• Like 2

Thank you for the informative post Red.  The Windex did look good though, but never tried it :)

Any advice on getting rid of or slowing down the sickness if it does come about?  Last game I only drank from the well and ate canned food.  I did however get injured by a zombie and after the fight I used what rags I had to make a bandage to halt the bleeding.  It did say "my wound is itchy" or something to that effect.  I found nothing that would let me fix that of course. 

31 minutes ago, E.Isaac said:

Thank you for the informative post Red.  The Windex did look good though, but never tried it :)

Any advice on getting rid of or slowing down the sickness if it does come about?  Last game I only drank from the well and ate canned food.  I did however get injured by a zombie and after the fight I used what rags I had to make a bandage to halt the bleeding.  It did say "my wound is itchy" or something to that effect.  I found nothing that would let me fix that of course. 

I never had that disease but your wounds are infected. Tetracycline antibiotics might fix it and to prevent your wounds from getting infected, you can clean rags with alcohol tincure.

1 hour ago, E.Isaac said:

finding antibiotics at a clinic would cure that in minutes.  for a while I tested using a sewing kit to heal wounds and you get infected wounds pretty often doing that. 

you probably got infected by using rags that were dirty.  only use pristine ones for bandages.  you can make dirty rags pristine by using alcohol on them.

(lol ninja'd by imt)

if you get infected or sick again and can't find antibiotics, post here: https://forums.dayz.com/topic/160262-need-medical-assistance-in-dayz-sa-find-your-medic-here/  or add me on steam (same name).  I'm usually carrying antibiotics and charcoal tablets.

Edited by Red_Ensign