Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

BETA in 8 months or less.

This is what now sounds different. They specify a time horizon, but do not make any promises about the content of this. They say we'll deliver something by then. If it goes well, then it will be more, if it goes bad, then it will be less. In my opinion a good consideration. This gives the Devs a room to work, there is some pressure away and it is an announcement with the one community should be satisfied.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, scriptfactory said:

At my current job there are these project manager fuckers who are trying to get my developers to set due dates (deadlines) for all work tasks and hold them accountable when these dates are missed. The problem is, there are always unforeseen things that pop up over the course of a project. The more complex the task, the more likely it is that the due date will be total bullshit. I told the PMs that they should, instead, calculate lead times or development velocity based on work previously done and the complexity of the task. In this way we can generate a time range within which the work will probably be completed in rather than trusting our shitty human brains to guess dates randomly.

IMO, missed due dates are what happen when you treat programmers like factory workers instead of engineers. It makes me, personally, feel like a loser and (as a technical leader) like I have let down my fellow developers. I'm not saying this is happening for sure with DayZ. Just expressing my frustrations. :)

Holding accountable is one thing, but to change the stock market of products either on steam or real stock markets isn't a good idea.

I personally would have it internally set date, project planning etc.. but to keep changing due dates has been proven to lose stocks - customers.

2 hours ago, sneakydude said:

I personally would have it internally set date, project planning etc.. but to keep changing due dates has been proven to lose stocks - customers.

This is a good point. This is why I don't like communicating dates without being confident that they can be reached.

hey just wanted to know, does anyone know any more on when DayZ will enter beta ? 

Really hoping soon ,I jump on every so often over the nearly 4 years of EA, and have to say the game lately looks and runs perfectly, just still the game lacks one major, and thats things to actually keep you there, and doing things :( Hoping with the release of Beta soon, that will open up the doors for modders, to add content, like base building, so it gives us a reason to keep playing, rather than the current loot, kill repeat :( 

The most we know is that it will likely come out this year, as the Devs have stated they wanted to have 2 Big Updates this year. I assume that is .62, and .63 (Beta). 

Who knows how far along we are at this point. . But if you are getting frustrated, it may be better to just play another game for the time being until it comes out. I do that often.

17 minutes ago, Espa said:

The most we know is that it will likely come out this year, as the Devs have stated they wanted to have 2 Big Updates this year. I assume that is .62, and .63 (Beta). 

Who knows how far along we are at this point. . But if you are getting frustrated, it may be better to just play another game for the time being until it comes out. I do that often.

Oooo I have only put 40 hours in since EA release, I am not about to waste time playing, just I see the average players crashing constantly, and really base building is what will bring people back, just dying to start playing the game <3 

2 hours ago, Reece D Asbury said:

hey just wanted to know, does anyone know any more on when DayZ will enter beta ? 

Really hoping soon ,I jump on every so often over the nearly 4 years of EA, and have to say the game lately looks and runs perfectly, just still the game lacks one major, and thats things to actually keep you there, and doing things :( Hoping with the release of Beta soon, that will open up the doors for modders, to add content, like base building, so it gives us a reason to keep playing, rather than the current loot, kill repeat :( 

Was a topic just below this one, and you didn't see it? Talking about beta in 8 months. I wouldn't hold myself to any deadline though. We have been through this too many times now.

On 4/18/2017 at 5:21 PM, JBURNS489 said:

So what is the difference between alpha and beta? From everything I have read from DayZ Devs, they claim alpha is for feature implementing and beta is for finding and fixing bugs with those features. A 1.0 release would be all features and most if not at all bugs squashed. This was their reasoning for not fixing current bugs, before they decided to create a new engine from the ground up. Because its alpha...so if in beta they are still implementing new features, what is the difference between beta and alpha? Im genuinely curious and im not trying to argue or be a troll. I have defended the game from random people i meet online and friends as well for a long time. I love DayZ, and only want whats best. What is their plan for beta that was clearly stated? All I saw was they plan on releasing beta this year. But no milestones or word about what beta will actually be

I agree man . They are greying the lines of alpha /  beta to make up for the small , small , SMALL amount of progress they have made in the past year . I'm so disappointed at their decision I can't even express it enough . Once we were told the end of 2016 we would see beta and now we aren't even going to see a FEATURE COMPLETE (what they told us all this time) beta at the end of 2017 - probably even longer due to the slow crawl they are at , which IMO is due to their obsessive need to put themselves at every game convention to get more publicity for their upcoming beta .

the devs have changed their tune , they are still transparent but they are now IMO taking the worst route of addressing the beta , they messed up and are now making the community pay by screwing Us with this poor version of .61/.62 (which we now know won't have anything new besides sound) for another 6-8 months ....

Highly disappointed :( - hopefully some of you can enjoy dayz as it is now , but me and all of my steam friends / squad mates cannot . 

• Like 3

I suppose DayZ is in what could be more accurately called a pre-alpha, and is about to move into a traditional alpha with .63 when they actually start adding gameplay features. I've a feeling that the move to "beta" is more of a marketing thing, because they can't really say "now after 3 years of development, DayZ is finally ready to enter alpha!" People would lose their shit, but it would be hilarious. It is, obviously, a new stage of development however and it deserves a new name to reflect that progress. Beta works.

I'll treat .62 like I've treated every patch. Play it every now and then for a couple of weeks, then give it a rest. I wish development was faster, but it isn't. I know that the final product is going to be great, but I'm not desperate to play it. I'm happy to patiently wait and play other games in the mean time.

• Like 2

Oooh, I see the armchair developers are starting to crawl out of their holes.  I really hope that the bitchers and moaners about the early access alpha don't come back and leave DayZ with a good community of people who enjoy this kind of game.  Lol @ Reece D Asbury who thinks that base building is the saving grace of DayZ.

I'm sticking with : When it's done.
Do likewise and everything will be alright.

• Like 2