dorn956

Extensive Physical Interaction System

I am not certain what this will be classified as, but I'd like to go into a bit of detail about physical interactions and how we can help to implement them into DayZ SA. 

First off let me start by saying any well-crafted game is a mix of aspects from other games that revolve around a key aspect of uniqueness that is critical to tying in all other components within it. 

A few very important aspects to consider are the following:

-Goal

-Atmosphere

-Mechanics

-Challenge

Not so much graphics, and not so much nit-picky details. (For anyone who thinks graphics are key within a successful video game, tell that to DOOM and WoW Vanilla)

The Extensive Physical Interaction System I propose is a mix of ideas I've read from the forums into a core interaction system that isn't much for cosmetic, but to change the way the mechanics of the game function altogether.

To start this off, I'm going to list the possibilities I see in an extensive physical action system that branch off with some of the ideas we have already come across in the past.

• Fighting Techniques - Grabbing, Kicking, Shoving, etc.
  • Utility - Meat Shielding? Grabbing zombies and players alike to sponge up damage for a few shots?
  • Diving
  • Tackling
  • Dragging (unconscious) players / dead zombies
  • More Emotes (cosmetic really.. I was just thinking like hand signals. Go, stop, flank, hostiles, etc.)
  • Forced disarming (prying the weapons/brute force)
  • Trained disarming (counter attacks)
  • Dropping weapons when struck on main hand (bullet, axe, see dismemberment maybe?)
  • Ally-oop (Idk what to call it - where you assist in climbing a wall Army of Two style, with your hands together)
  • Ally-oop followup - lifting up the other guy
  • Back to fighting.. Shoving people / kicking people out windows? (Action movie style)

I was thinking combat-wise this could tie into a sequential who-did-what action and almost a real time rock-paper-scissors match up... Here are some situation examples of the above

e.g. - two guys rush each other and one goes for an uppercut while the other goes for a jumping overhead, the uppercut would hit first if pressed within x amount of time and then the opponent would flinch and need to think fast.

e.g. - bandits cornering you in a large building and you jump one of them and hold him hostage with a knife while backing away slowly to escape the situation

e.g. - you spot a sniper at the last possible second and rush your ally to dive for cover as a shot whirls past you both, desecrating the concrete wall behind you (defensive tackling, not offensive!)

e.g. - waiting around a corner with a bat and crap-slapping an unknown player , maybe or maybe not knocking them unconscious, but definitely causing them to flinch enough to drop their weapon (insert element of surprise bonus here?)

e.g. - hostile swings an axe at you and if you press the right action key at the right time you can sidestep and disarm (maybe just that, maybe not steal the weapon necessarily)

Of course this is more of post-alpha updates. I know the priority is making the game run as it is :P

Just food for thought. / r / roastme pls

I'd like to hear your thoughts forum-goers :D

EDIT: 01:51 EST 16 APRIL 2017:

ASSASSINATIONS

Edited by dorn956
Extra thoughts

How I imagine this in DayZ:

Bandit tries to swing axe at you. You have fast reflexes so you press E to counter attack. Desync happens, you somehow break leg while the other dude dies because of blood loss.

Combat mechanics like this hardly work in any game that isn't hand-to-hand combat based. Even ARMA doesn't have knife stab animations or something like that, because it'd be glitchy or wierd looking. Simulators can never get fluid enough to be like CoD, Battlefield, etc...

I don't think that things like "Press/mash [button] to break free" will work in an online game or for DayZ in particular. Unless it can be designed in a way that it looks immersive and fits the game(play). A great example is breaking out of restraints. It doesn't trigger a sequence of animations or actions. That would be the only way how things like this could work in DayZ, in my opinion.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:37 AM, t3h_kgb said:

First off, you're wrong... Any well-crafted game is going to be largely unique... That's what makes game titles such as Battlefield, Metal Gear Solid, CounterStrike, etc. so prolific.... Uniqueness isn't the tiny little gem you find in games, it's the overall experience. Sure, there may be some things other games share in common (Battlefield and CounterStrike are both first-person shooters, and much of the gameplay is very similar), but what makes Battlefield not just a reskin of CounterStrike is the uniqueness of the game, from start to finish.

Secondly, this is nowhere near a "well-crafted game", and never will be. It has been in development forever, and still isn't out of alpha yet... They've played with the textures and cranked up the bird volume, and call that "progress".... Worse, it's almost entirely Arma copy/pasted, so it will NEVER attain the uniqueness and greatness required for "well-crafted" status...

Well aren't you a bundle of sunshine LOL

I'm not saying I'm right, but I am saying that claiming I'm wrong is incorrect. Nobody's opinion is wrong. Maybe far-fetched at best, but certainly not wrong. If you have no hope for DayZ Standalone or don't see it going anywhere in the end , that what point do you serve in perusing the forums like it's any concern to you?

Let the supporters do their thing my man. If you got beef with B.I. take it up with them, don't try to trash someone else's idea. 

But anyways -- who the heck am I to tell you what to do, right? I'm nobody to you and never will be someone to you, right?

Yo do you, guy.

• Like 1