stefos71

Day Z and survival game clones........No legal actions?

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit confused about Day Z and clones of it, per se, like Miscreated and H1N, whatever it' s called.

How is it that they can take conceptual ideas and not get sued by B.I.?

Thanks

Stefos

All these clones will fail at what BI has led to the development of a new engine. All face the same problems when it comes to inserting certain things. That is why it takes so long with BI and all others move faster in the development. The difference will only be seen at the end.

• Like 2

Taking a concept and doing something with it is not against the law in itself.  I mean with your logic Capcom could sue Bohemia for having a Zombie Game.  Romero could sue the Walking Dead for their use of zombies, ect ect ect.

• Like 1

The wy I see it (which does not represent the feelings of Bohemia Interactive):

Why sue someone over doing something that is a concept that may not even cannibalise DayZ?
And I don't even believe that H1Z1 nor Miscreated are even the exact same thing as DayZ.

There are always different trends in Gaming, may that be zombie games or RTS at a different point, you have to be the best in means of your gameplay and such. There's no need to sue someone over trying to provide what consumers want at the moment, even if you want to argue that your game is the one that set that trend.

• Like 1

"Infected" infected are alive not undead or as the uninformed like to call infested in dayz "zombies" 

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
i just couldn't stand it any longer i'll try to stop posting from now on.

Dont forget DAYZ isnt exactly a new and unique idea either :)

L

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

Dont forget DAYZ isnt exactly a new and unique idea either :)

L

Exactly and nobody can patent Zombies either or survival.

11 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

All these clones will fail at what BI has led to the development of a new engine. All face the same problems when it comes to inserting certain things. That is why it takes so long with BI and all others move faster in the development. The difference will only be seen at the end.

That is not true. They have a different play style, with not exactly the same ideas or themes.

All of these games will fail one day. but your making it out that dayz is gaining support or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

That is not true. They have a different play style, with not exactly the same ideas or themes.

All of these games will fail one day. but your making it out that dayz is gaining support or something.

Yes you are right. I referred to the genre "Survival". In addition, LiF (Life is Feudal) comes to mind. I'm more concerned about the engine part and what is possible with it. LiF has many "characteristics" of DayZ in technical sense. But already there you can detect enormous problems. For example: size of the map, number AI, detail rich, animations. I do not want to say that all the "similar" Dayz games are bad, it is about the comparison of the feasible. There are the big differences.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Yes you are right. I referred to the genre "Survival". In addition, LiF (Life is Feudal) comes to mind. I'm more concerned about the engine part and what is possible with it. LiF has many "characteristics" of DayZ in technical sense. But already there you can detect enormous problems. For example: size of the map, number AI, detail rich, animations. I do not want to say that all the "similar" Dayz games are bad, it is about the comparison of the feasible. There are the big differences.

I really like LIF, i have it now, but hot damn is it hardcore survival.. Can we call that survival or time sync?

None of those other games are finished. They didnt give that hardcore survival feeling we want. Miscreated is OK, but map is kinda small. HIZI...I dont even want to talk about it...

To me, DayZ mod is still unbeatable when it comes to zombie multiplayer game. I think I will reinstal Arma 2 and Origins mod

Suing people for taking your idea, altering it a bit, and then running with it would stifle any creativity in the market. There needs to be ample wiggle room in any artistic field to allow experimentation and creative recycling, or there can't be art.

On 4/15/2017 at 3:46 AM, IkaikaKekai said:

Taking a concept and doing something with it is not against the law in itself.  I mean with your logic Capcom could sue Bohemia for having a Zombie Game.  Romero could sue the Walking Dead for their use of zombies, ect ect ect.

No, it isnt' however........When you look at Miscreated and see the interface, they ripped of B.I.

Make sense?

23 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

Suing people for taking your idea, altering it a bit, and then running with it would stifle any creativity in the market. There needs to be ample wiggle room in any artistic field to allow experimentation and creative recycling, or there can't be art.

Understood, however the level of "creative expression" in these Day Z clones is now called "Stealing a concept," as Miscreated has in their interface.

Besides, If you wanted Day Z to be the best Post Apocalyptic game on the market, would you allow for this new level of "artistic expression?" I don't think so.

53 minutes ago, stefos71 said:

Understood, however the level of "creative expression" in these Day Z clones is now called "Stealing a concept," as Miscreated has in their interface.

Besides, If you wanted Day Z to be the best Post Apocalyptic game on the market, would you allow for this new level of "artistic expression?" I don't think so.  If you want DayZ to be the best post-apocalyptic game on the market, how would you know if it stood as the lone example in this field? 

You can't copyright a concept, and that's a good thing.  Patent trolls are bad enough; we don't need goobers out there with stacks of cash spitballing concepts to copyright, and then waiting to sue whoever fleshes out the idea into something actually worthwhile.
If you wanna get right down to it, BI "stole the concept" of the tactical shooter from the likes of SEAL Team, Rainbow Six, and Spec OPs games of the mid to late 90s.

55 minutes ago, stefos71 said:

No, it isnt' however........When you look at Miscreated and see the interface, they ripped of B.I.

Make sense?     There are only a few common ways to do a graphical inventory. Scroll bar, Grid and Rosette being the main categories.  Every zombie game out there is just a copy of Resident Evil in some way or another anyway.

This topic is a non-issue, and I'm frankly surprised it has been allowed to go on for as long as it has.  Now, Vanilla Ice stealing his hook from Bowie and Queen, that's some hardcore industrial espionage right thar.

But just in case this thread does go on living in the light of day for a while longer...
See that little button down there, next to the quote button?  It looks like a plus sign.  That button lets you quote multiple different posts in the same reply, for neatness.  You can even carry over content from different topics on other tabs. Pretty cool, huh?

II
 II
 V

Edited by emuthreat
bad choice of text color. and the edit ruined my cool little pointer.
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 11:14 PM, emuthreat said:

You can't copyright a concept, and that's a good thing.  Patent trolls are bad enough; we don't need goobers out there with stacks of cash spitballing concepts to copyright, and then waiting to sue whoever fleshes out the idea into something actually worthwhile.
If you wanna get right down to it, BI "stole the concept" of the tactical shooter from the likes of SEAL Team, Rainbow Six, and Spec OPs games of the mid to late 90s.

This topic is a non-issue, and I'm frankly surprised it has been allowed to go on for as long as it has.  Now, Vanilla Ice stealing his hook from Bowie and Queen, that's some hardcore industrial espionage right thar.

But just in case this thread does go on living in the light of day for a while longer...
See that little button down there, next to the quote button?  It looks like a plus sign.  That button lets you quote multiple different posts in the same reply, for neatness.  You can even carry over content from different topics on other tabs. Pretty cool, huh?

II
 II
 V

I assume you played those games back then too? in your 30's there emu? I am in my 40's aiming to 50 ouch... but yes we played those games to death back then.

Competition is a good thing, especially with games like Miscreated.
Devs drawing ideas from each just gives us more good games in this case.

5 hours ago, sneakydude said:

I assume you played those games back then too? in your 30's there emu? I am in my 40's aiming to 50 ouch... but yes we played those games to death back then.

Okay squad, stay put while I stealth this.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:45 AM, Sqeezorz said:

the end is never the end

• Like 1

Right, the end of the Core and main devlopment is the  beginn of the Big time, the Communitys and the Mods.