Sign in to follow this  
TryaxReck

What needs to be done with DayZ

Alright, I am gonna be honest with everyone here, I only made this account so I could say what I am about to say. I have only 200 hours on this game total, and I have never in my life developed a game or have written code. 

Here is what needs to be done: Weekly Updates.

My suggestion here is that instead of releasing stuff in one big update, do a weekly or bi-weekly update that adds one to three items. Sometimes they can be cars or planes, sometimes they can be something as minuscule as empty soda cans that you can throw away, but it needs to be something. I think even the most diehard fans of DayZ are starting to get worn out, and they are getting really tired really fast. You need to provide some hope for these guys that still want to play your game. For example, add a buildable fence. That isn't that hard. If you got someone working on a fence and just a fence for a week, it would probably be done before that. Make a crafting recipe which involves a hammer, some nails, and some logs from cutting down a tree. BAM everyone loves it and base building speeds up because now they have defenses. Next week, you make a pipe suppressor where you can cut a pipe with a hacksaw and BAM everyone loves this new suppressor! Next week add a pair of goggles. And repeat this until you finally finished the game! You don't have to do this as I said exactly, but it would be nice to get just a few new items every 3 weeks or so, and it would really make me and most of the DayZ community happy. 

That's all I really have to say. If anyone wishes to comment about how they should focus on bugs instead of items, feel free. Thats what comment sections are for right? 

• Like 3

Once the new player controller and physics system are in place, content will be added. Thank you for admitting you know nothing about game development, though.

• Like 2

There is one main issue that you might be overlooking.  Don't worry, A LOT of people seem to miss this difference about DayZ development.

THEY ARE NOT DEVELOPING A GAME, THEY ARE DEVELOPING AN ENGINE.

The game has essentially been finished for years now, but some time back, they decided the only way to proceed with the game to get all the features working the way they wanted, was to design a new engine around the game concept.

Lucky for you, the engine is almost ready for prime time.  Up to this point, the game has been running parallel instances of the old and new technology, with a lot of duct tape and wire holding the thing together.  Internally, I hear, the developers have completely de-tethered from the old technology.
What this means for us is likely going to be a near instantaneous doubling of performance and the addition of newer, more efficient and user friendly movement and action systems.

They tried the weekly patches a couple years ago.  People bitched about getting new shirts and hats instead of guns, then bitched about getting new guns instead of fixing the underlying issues.  Now they focus development on the underlying systems, and people bitch about slow patches.

See a pattern?

Just keep playing the game and learning the map and crafting options.  It'll come in handy once you can't run forever, and have to manage your temperature, health and nutrition more closely.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The_Lonely_Bandit said:

I can't tell if this is serious or not..

Yes it is that is also my understanding of what is going on with dayz standalone now.

As someone who knows a bit about game development, programming and the DayZ development cycle, I get your frustration. But your idea is just not possible at the moment because the developers are at a point where pushing weekly updates is either not possible or just a waste of time. The reason for this is neatly explained by Emuthreat in his post.

I do get frustrated sometimes by the bugs as well, like the other day I got the 1 FPS bug on a full pop server right before entering Tisy. At that location and with a queue it is pretty annoying.

We can not do anything else at this point then just wait and hope we're at 0.63 soon.

@TryaxReck

dont forget we are alpha&beta testers and playing a unfinished game.

the update process to the servers is a uncomfortable thing and i dont want to have changes in game before they are proven internally and externally...

development means also u make steps in a direction which could be revoked the other day...

i think the chances are good to get one or two more goals in this game one day ...beside surviving and looting and killing other players...

I dont care what you guys say... this shit is starting to get funny...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I'm sure we have all had our frustrations on certain scenarios in the game, but that is with anything. 

Just a little research on what is taking place with the development team right now puts into perspective why there aren't weekly updates. But as stated, they once did this and it still wasn't adequate for the community. 

There's a lot going on with building a new engine, and we just need to be PATIENT. I know that word is a hard thing to follow in 2017, but that's all we can do. 

• Like 1

Why it is so and not otherwise: (in a language they all understand)

The construction company BI has built a house. After or during the construction they noticed that the foundation of the house are too small and unstable was calculated for her 5 floor building, it was only for 3 floor. So they decided to build a new foundation and build it.

At the moment they are at the completion of the raw construction. The roof, the roof tiles, the windows, the doors, yes even the curtains and the TeleVision furniture are finished, but they have to wait, wait until the raw construction is finished .... window insert does not go if the section yet Is prepared, even the curtains would fall to the floor without the windows. That is why DayZ is so, the roof can never be the first of the house and a TV on a meadow without walls, floor and roof is also shity when the rain is coming. I hope this was something understandable ...

the minus beans to the Translator please.

And at least: Irish "bon appetit" with your small bag Popcorn ^^.

• Like 4