Sign in to follow this  
Espa

The Promise and Fear of .62

Hey guys, a lot of you know me, played with me, or have been killed by me <3 I'd like to simply discuss what we know about .62, the time it is taking, and how things will change when it hits EXP/Stable.

First of all, this is not a flame thread, nor a rant against the Devs. DayZ is already a good game and I've gotten my money's worth. Anything who thinks otherwise is insane after playing hundreds of hours. With that said, we all know what we would like, and we can see visually how the Devs are putting it together on their newest SRs and Vids. I think beyond what anything else desires, the Devs want this game to be legendary more than anyone else. And it is and will be.

So, let's start off with what we know! 

• Updated Forest Visuals, Roads, Restructured Train Tracks, Restructured Terrain (In some places, Western), Updated Cities (A few)
  • Updated Audio for most actions, as well as Forest Audio.

The Promise

With these things listed being added into the game, there are a whole mess of reasons why this patch could be a HUGE evolution for the game world and how players go about their time while playing DayZ. The massive changes being taken place will essentially make it so that most of what you see in game, what you hear around you, and how you get from A to B will change and be that much better. Such a large change will no doubt allow players to go 'explore', despite being regulars or having the map in your head. 

• New Adventure through unknown and better looking lands.
  • Pleasant on our ears, as well as possibly more realistic. 
  • Perhaps the finalization of loot distribution if the 'Visual Overhaul' is only picking at a few cities in changing. 

The Fear

With all that said and the hype that comes along with envisioning the future Chernarus, there are still factors that weigh heavily on the player's mind and the prospective consumers that may wish to buy this game. There is the obvious and stated officially idea that this game will never finish, even to the point where they asked the question in a few of their SR Vids. This is not a good statement to hear or even be identified by the Devs, but it is out there and believed. There is a certain 'Face' that must be maintained in the business world and if the Devs take in that kind of insult to their efforts as true belief, it may become a self-fulfilling prophecy and I don't want to see that.

Still, there are frustrations in the time that it is taking to pump out their efforts. I am not a game designer, animator, or have any business connected to whatever they may be doing in their efforts, but from an outsider's standpoint, there is a caution I feel towards raising my hype towards development. With about 3.5 months into 2017, there is still no ETA for .62 - a patch that was supposed to be changing only forests, but as time mounts more and more keeps being promised and added. While I'm relatively optimistic towards DayZ's future, I am just not seeing how the things involved in .62 are taking this long. .

They're replacing textures and sounds in systems that they already have working as operational. So why then have it taken this long to arrive on Experimental?

My fear is that they're afraid of letting it loose too early because they have an incredible amount of work ahead of them for .63 (BETA). Not wishing to make the players wait another possible 6-12 months for Beta to come out, they could perhaps be holding it to the point where they have approximately 4-6 months wait. And in doing so, they keep adding what's going to show up on .62. While this may sound nice to some, it is delaying progress and giving uninformed players the impression that the game 'will never finish' or 'is too old'. In general, at this point, or hopefully Beta, updates should be coming quicker. . But time will tell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, if you have an idea or want to comment on this, feel free. Just please no flaming the Devs! It is pointless and some of us are defensive of this game we love :P 

• Like 5

While I agree with a lot you have to say. You need to remember that it's only a small 5 man team working on 0.62 (4 artists and a programmer, I believe) while the rest of the developers work on the 0.63/beta patch.

edit: although thinking about it now. That number might have increased considering the new addition of new audio.

Edited by OliverPlotTwist
  • Like 3

Most of you cannot know what this wait is like for me/those of us here from the beginning.

Forget .62..... I'm talking 1.0.

I am prepared for all 1.0 release estimates to be missed by as much as a year!

If you can be objective and not invest too much emotion in the DayZ dev process you'll find the rough patches easier to swallow.

Bohemia is only as beholden to us as they chose to be, there is no unbreakable contract here.

Whether it takes many months extra to complete or not, if I have most of what they promised in the end, I will be happy.

New environments weren't even a dream until recently, so extra time = extra awesome to me!

• Like 12

I do not like to comment as cross-beginners such texts. I am only for 2 years the drug DayZ and its development expired. That it needs here to the mentioned 0.62 its time but I can understand from the reports of the SR (thx Eugen) relatively well. It is in the rework of Chernarus by far more than just new trees and animated ants-hills. All new and all "old" textures get additional new values, the "characteristics" of the textures have to be created in order to harmonize with the new audio system. This also takes a lot of time, reflections, polls and tests. In addition to this, despite the specially created tool, a lot of work to lose, but the fine grinding is still done manually and also this takes a lot of time, time to do, and before time to consider and compare. Chernarus still haunts me today ... you walk through an area and always discover something new, even if it is just an empty can and waste in the forest. And here I put my thoughts on .... what if I run through the forest and run over an empty can? And it starts to ring to brass ... if I want to hunt my booty is warned and runs away. Good thing will take time. I am 46 years old ... if I am at 1.0 47 or 48 years old I do not care ... maybe I'll try to wait for a trip to Praque or Aussig .. in a hoodie / jeans and a can of beans.

• Like 5

Listen fellas, I Love Dayz and have been playing since release.  Good fun game.  

From an outsider's perspective - We normal non programming folks will never understand why Dayz, while fun, isn't even close to being as "done/ready" as so many other games.  I mean, Ark (even the new Playerunknow's Battlegrounds ) has come and been released with far more features that work while Dayz barely made any progress us regular folks see.  

Again, great game.  But man, I have friends that still ask me where Dayz is at.  Then they log in and check it with me in a group and are like, man, this is ALL that has been done?  It's been like 2 years with a couple wolves running around, now you can loot zombies corpses (COOL!), and the map has had some updates, and a graphics engine change.   Oooook.  Cool for programmers....the game looks and feels like it has barely slugged along since we've been following it.

NOT a bash on dayz....just a realistic assessment of how this feels to us regular unsophisticated non programmer folks that see other games come and go by the time dayz lets you open doors properly.

Best

• Like 4

1 hour ago, redmantab said:

Again, great game.  But man, I have friends that still ask me where Dayz is at.  Then they log in and check it with me in a group and are like, man, this is ALL that has been done?  It's been like 2 years with a couple wolves running around, now you can loot zombies corpses (COOL!), and the map has had some updates, and a graphics engine change.   Oooook.  Cool for programmers....the game looks and feels like it has barely slugged along since we've been following it.

Lightning in a bottle has certainly come and gone.  However, I have friends who wont play Kerbal Space Program because it doesn't look modern enough.  People will always make poor and uninformed decisions.  As long as you know whats up, don't feel you need to defend anything.  Their loss, ya heard?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, redmantab said:

Listen fellas, I Love Dayz and have been playing since release.  Good fun game.  

From an outsider's perspective - We normal non programming folks will never understand why Dayz, while fun, isn't even close to being as "done/ready" as so many other games.  I mean, Ark (even the new Playerunknow's Battlegrounds ) has come and been released with far more features that work while Dayz barely made any progress us regular folks see.  

NOT a bash on dayz....just a realistic assessment of how this feels to us regular unsophisticated non programmer folks that see other games come and go by the time dayz lets you open doors properly.

Best

2 years ago they announced that in order to create the game that they wanted to create that they'd have to fundamentally overhaul various large parts of the engine and turn what is essentially a monolithic titan of a game engine in a modular, highly configurable and adaptable engine. 

Creating a game like Ark in Unreal 4 Engine or Rust in the Unity engine is like building a car. You have all the parts in front of you and you then must put them together to build the car.

Building the engine from scratch is akin to building a car except you must design the car, design the parts, build the manufacturing facilities, produce the parts, assemble the parts, and then finally hopefully you can assemble the car and hope it works correctly. After extreme amounts of testing, you finally have the car, working and ready to go but it is clearly a vastly more difficult process than just putting a car together from a heap of pre-made parts.

• Like 8

You are forgetting about modding, which is what the team has spent a lot of their time working on this past year, and what makes Bohemia Interactive games what they are. If the game is not what players hoped, it will still be a modders paradise. DayZ may be the foundation for something much bigger on the horizon, in the same way that Arma II was the foundation for DayZ. I think that DayZ will be just fine. I don't think the fact that the devs are acknowledging the potential for failure is a bad thing. They are being realistic. Sometimes you need something chasing you to get you going. 

Edited by Solopopo

Well,

The devs DID say they have to overhaul massive parts of this game......ie Coding.

Making trees, textures, vehicles is easy.............Programming them is not.

Rust, Miscreated, etc. are not coding overhauls...They are coding legos, per se.

Try overhauling this game's code.........Try coding period and see where you end up....It's not easy everyone.

I want Day Z to continue and Blow up big.

Stefos

P.S. I'm surprised that Day Z hasn't sued Miscreated for copyright infringements.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2017 at 0:28 AM, stefos71 said:

P.S. I'm surprised that Day Z hasn't sued Miscreated for copyright infringements.

Again, almost impossible. Zombies, and survival are not owned by BI, and it is not a new idea either.

Two totally different engines, different theme park, pretty much a different game. You may see similar things, as none of these are new ideas. You would have a hard time convincing any judge that i own "Infected" "Zombies"

We have our new SR starting tomorrow and it has been 12 days without an update on Exp so far. It may very well be the week of announcing .62! -- Or it could just be more good information to mull over and possibly a new video.

I'm going to have my hopes on .62, though, and can only hope that with the fundamental changes being done, that vehicles also get more love. The more and more I come into contact with them, the more I see that they are a staple of this game.

I also have the belief that with many more vehicles, and the Retrievable Car Parts mentioned before, that this game will entice many back to the game - even without the awesome new player controller and such.

-- Anyone else feel like it's close? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Espa said:

-- Anyone else feel like it's close

Soon™

• Like 3

I really hope it's close! I am patiently waiting to play DayZ until .62 hits for various reasons, but I am definitely ready. 

• Like 2

Then I bring black ink. We have read and seen of 0.62 items all said: this is not final yet. And yet we have not seen anything about the great railroad project ... only once was it mentioned. Either we wait a little longer or there is a surprise. So soon or a little later.

• Like 2

I don't believe that they gonna miss 1.0 by a year.

This time they already have everything in place and it's just matter of building the backlog lego and polishing all the features so it looks somehow enjoyable.

I'm actually more hyped about .63, since they're now working on both paths at the same time, I would expect .63 to come really fast after all the feedback from .62 bugs is done. And we don't have a lot of info about what's gonna be implemented on .63, since they really have A LOT of stuff they promised in the game features :3

• Like 2

I would not release .62 until .63 is within a 2 month range, just for PR purposes. Anyways, I can hardly get excited until the game gets hard and has a decent amount of infected. 

• Like 3

When DayZ 1.0 is out I think it will be amazing. In the meantime I have 92 other games in my Steam library to keep me busy when I'm tired of DayZ alpha.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, stefos71 said:

Rust, Miscreated, etc. are not coding overhauls...They are coding legos, per se.

Try overhauling this game's code.........Try coding period and see where you end up....It's not easy everyone.

All code is modular. All code is Legos. At least if it is well-written. Otherwise it is more like Etch A Sketch. :D

UE and Unity provide a good basis for game development but truly creating something unique requires a ton of work. Most developers creating games on custom engines start with an older engine and upgrade it to the requirements of the application they are building. Think about the transition from Quake engine -> Goldsrc -> Source -> Source 2. So I do believe there were issues improving the Real Virtuality base engine but developing a game is just difficult in general. Many delays with DayZ SA seem to be connected to the extreme changes in the game engine client-server architecture and the historical use of RV as a simulation engine but I can't be certain at all.

That is a long way of saying, we shouldn't denigrate the Rust or Miscreated developers. They have also put in a shitload of work.

• Like 1