Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irish.

Are people losing their minds?

15 posts in this topic

I feel like so many things happen in cycles in life. Revolutions come and go, and come back again. But honestly.. I cant help but feel like one of those cycles has come back around again, and its like people are losing their minds lately.

I can't think of a time other then the hippie era, that comes as close in regards to rampant loss of intelligent thought, replaced by what often is confused as mind opening conversation (that really just boils down to intoxicated nonsense).

People believe anything posted on the internet. They convince each other that the Earth is flat, that we live in the Matrix, and secret societies control our every thought. 

What is worse is they spread this information, as truth, with zero research and thought put into it. It's the mental equivalent of jumping off a cliff with the other lemmings. 

"If your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" - Mom

Am I just an old fart, losing touch with reality.. or are people losing their minds?

Probably both, huh? Yep. Probably both.

scriptfactory, Espa and odin_lowe gave beans to this

Nah man. It's the end of the world and you're perfectly sane. 

odin_lowe and Irish. gave beans to this

I would rather everyone drop acid and become flakes than the cold murderous assholes they are.

I grew up in an environment that involved empathy and intelligence and I was born with many wonderful natural talents.

So many people are so inept and internally disgusting and they just want to shit on everything because they are angry at their inability to satisfy women, inability to better their own lives, and general ignorance about the true values of life.

My only hope is that the benevolent forces of the information age can exponentially outgrow the spread of hate and ignorance.

I find a lot of people are shallow and stupid and horribly mutated by modern culture and lack of empathy.

Now let's all go post another selfie!!!

Weeeeeeeeee!

odin_lowe, Irish. and Espa gave beans to this

Freedom of expression and internet make it easier for dumb people to find people that are as dumb as them, or even dumber. It happened in the past, it happens now, but since you have internet, you have access to almost the whole social network of events around you. Stay in school, eat vegetables and don't do drugs.

Hmm. Honestly, I never once thought the world was sane. People have always been crazy, since the dawn of men. 

Is it worst today than yesterday? Maybe, but just a bit. 

Since it's an Endless Waltz of peace, revolution and war, as long as humans are in their current state of evolution, it'll never stop. 

goateswyn and ☣BioHaze☣ gave beans to this

Internet allows the stupid minority to become extremely vocal. The main problem is people aren't educated to be skeptical (on the internet and in general) and are instead told they are special, their feelings matter more than anything else etc.

That's a recipe for disaster.

Like all the women following some stupid advice about giving birth at home while kneeling with a wet towel on their head or whatnot they got from their joga instructor. Then they sue the doctors who tell them it's a bad idea, because they obviously know better

No idea why that came to mind.

As for the war part,  I blame globalism.

/rant

Irish. and ScipioII gave beans to this

Thanks for letting me know two things:

I am not alone in noticing these things.

..and maybe I am not old and out of touch..

..Just jaded I guess. Things used to be simpler, and now they are just so .. well, we all here know how things are currently. 

ScipioII, pilgrim* and odin_lowe gave beans to this

Thats the name of the Game? Maybe we see a great Zivilisation fall again soon.

Sometimes DayZ shows me the deep dark of human souls. I hope they do'nt act so when Day-Z has come.

Now you know it, can you go out and countinue stupid stuff like before?

Dont worry, the world keeps turning for a long time. ( as long as it's not flat, or hollow, or an illusion, .............

Irish. gave beans to this

The world is definitely undergoing a significant socioeconomic shift. We are in the later stages of capitalism and people are becoming scared for their future. Supply-side economics is a failure of massive proportions... Westerners are becoming more in-group focused and less willing to share. My fellow US citizens are increasing military spending while letting our children drink lead. WTF?!

I don't know the way forward but I do know that I want to live in a world where innovation is not driven by money. I want to live in a world where there is NO homelessness and poverty. I want to share everything I have with everyone and know that I will still have enough to live a happy life. I want to travel and contribute to societies around the world. I want to lower my ecological impact on the planet and work towards ecological sustainability.

The people in power won't let my vision of the world succeed. I have lately been thinking we may need to pull a Lenin on these bourgeoisie motherfuckers.

Irish., ImageCtrl and pilgrim* gave beans to this

I think information technology has merely made more visible to you what has always been true: That even the most seemingly sane and intelligent individuals are in reality a fucked up mess.

Irish. gave beans to this

Zappa knows best, always.

"Dumb All Over"

Whoever we are
Wherever we're from
We shoulda noticed by now
Our behavior is dumb
And if our chances
Expect to improve
It's gonna take a lot more
Than tryin' to remove
The other race
Or the other whatever
From the face
Of the planet altogether
They call it THE EARTH
Which is a dumb kinda name
But they named it right
'Cause we behave the same...
We are dumb all over
Dumb all over,
Yes we are
Dumb all over,
Near'n far
Dumb all over
Black 'n white
People, we is not wrapped tight
Nurds on the left
Nurds on the right
Religious fanatics
On the air every night
Sayin' the Bible
Tells the story
Makes the details
Sound real gory
'Bout what to do
If the geeks over there
Don't believe in the book
We got over here
You can't run a race
Without no feet
'N pretty soon
There won't be no street
For dummies to jog on
Or doggies to dog on
Religious fanatics
Can make it be all gone
(I mean it won't blow up
'N disappear
It'll just look ugly
For a thousand years...)
You can't run a country
By a book of religion
Not by a heap
Or a lump or a smidgeon
Of foolish rules
Of ancient date
Designed to make
You all feel great
While you fold, spindle
And mutilate
Those unbelievers
From a neighboring state
TO ARMS! TO ARMS!
Hooray! That's great
Two legs ain't bad
Unless there's a crate
They ship the parts
To mama in
For souvenirs: two ears (Get down!)
Not his, not hers (but what the hey?)
The Good Book says:
"It's gotta be that way!"
But their book says:
"REVENGE THE CRUSADES. . .
With whips 'n chains
'N hand grenades. . ."
TWO ARMS? TWO ARMS?
Have another and another
Our Cod says:
"There ain't no other!"
Our Cod says
"It's all okay!"
Our God says "This is the way!"
It says in the book:
"Burn 'n destroy. ..
'N repent, 'n redeem
'N revenge, 'n deploy
'N rumble thee forth
To the land of the unbelieving scum on the other side
'Cause they don't go for what's in the book
'N that makes 'em BAD
So verily we must choppeth them up
And stompeth them down
Or rent a nice French bomb
To poof them out of existence
While leaving their real estate just where we need it
To use again
For temples in which to praise OURGOD
("Cause he can really take care of business!")
And when his humble TV servant
With humble white hair
And humble glasses
And a nice brown suit
And maybe a blonde wife who takes phone calls
Tells us our God says
It's okay to do this stuff
Then we gotta do it,
'Cause if we don't do it,
We ain't gwine up to hebbin!
(Depending on which book you're using at the time...
Can't use theirs. . .it don't work . . .it's all lies...Gotta use mine...)
Ain't that right?
That's what they say
Every night...
Everyday. ..
Hey, we can't really be dumb
If we're just following
God's Orders
Hey, let's get serious...
God knows what he's doin'
He wrote this book here
An'the book says:
He made us all to be just like Him,"
so...
If we're dumb...
Then God is dumb...
(An' maybe even a little ugly on the side)

mithrawndo and Irish. gave beans to this

Posted (edited)

I don't get why you blame hippies.

The Summer of Love was not only a great street festival, it was an electrifying promise of happiness at a time when half a million Americans were fighting in Vietnam and mass demonstrations in the USA smelled of tear gas.

We can learn from the hippies.
They formulated an idea of how another society might look, and immediately began to live the change. (Ignoring the horrifying drug abuse that leads to some deaths)

Edited by ImageCtrl
pilgrim* gave beans to this

- eh, right  - We can irrigate Africa - we have the bulldozers and pipelines - Today we pipe oil all the way across Asia etc, so we have the technology to do that with water (don't even TRY to tell me it's not possible) - and we have the water needed for this, but it wants spreading around more evenly.   If we get short of water in 100 years - there is plenty of ice in space. 

A fertile African can feed another 3 or 4 Billion people and take away a LOT of current problems. The only hindrance is that it is  not short-term profitable, so the 5% who own 95% of the wealth on this planet don't want to invest. So we need to take wealth away from that 5% - let them keep - say - 40% of the Earth's wealth (that's a good cut for them, a bargain) and spread the other 60% around as investment in the 95 out every 100 human beings who have little. The top 5% will still own 40% of the world's wealth so they shouldn't complain TOO much about that?

Then get into the Asteroids and start finding resources, build off-earth refineries and  factories, free solar energy, living space..  This is stuff we CAN do now if we WANT to.

"We have the technology to rebuild this planet"

With the materials tech close to possible now (carbon nano-tubes & diamond nano-tubes are already in labs) in 10 or 20 years we could be in position to put up an Earth-Space elevator. Right now today we can put one up on the moon using just Teflon, and on Mars using existing carbon nano-tube.

really, what have we got to lose?

Arrange that everyone on the planet has a computer link, decent housing, a job and good food.. wherever they live - that will calm most folk down a lot. Right? This should be a priority, not a spare time, debatable "charity" activity.

Like for instance stop wasting money dropping expensive high-tech 500lb bombs on poor people's housing while they are at home. The plane & the bomb cost 10,000 times more than the damned block full of people & everything they own. We know that one or two folk make a profit from that, but most people definitely DO NOT.

What is standing in the way of world peace now today? - er ATM ..ok - a TOTAL of about 30,000 jihadists (CIA figure) and N Korea. There are two problems. We are dealing with these problems the way the rich people want to. An army of 30,000 fanatics is not a BIG army, not a BIG problem, but 500,000 people have died already - that's crazy - so we are dealing with that problem WRONG.  And N Korea is not a BIG country - it is run on paranoia by a few dozen total fruitcakes. There must be SMART ways of dealing with that?

China Russia India USA - get together on the street and have a talk about this N Korea.. is that place messing up the neighborhood or not?  And ANYONE's nukes are really BORING, like a stoned fool waving a shotgun at a party. We don't DO that  anymore. The idea that the USA China EU India Russia Africa have any DIFFERENT aims and can't agree, is totally Sooooooo  LAST GENERATION.. that is really ancient Cold War cr@p..   

Who agrees with me?  - well 95% of the whole population of the Entire Planet want jobs, food, peace, equality .. So at least 95% of all the human beings on Earth agree on that. This is a definite HUGE majority, right?

So let's do that.  Be sane.