Baty Alquawen

Future of public hive servers

If the public servers are omitted, only the private servers remain. This also means that the logs and admintool can be extended. A admin abuse on a private server hurts in the first line the owner itself, since here no transit tourists will arrive as it is on public the case. An extension of the admintools and logs to public would be used 90% to the abuse without large and fast consequences of the visitors.

On 10.4.2017 at 11:05 PM, Akoran said:

Private servers are the "hey lets go waste my time" of servers

Could you explain? It is basically the same experience without server hopping.

• Like 2

There are two problems as I see it, hosting providers that show a lack of care and server owners/admins that act out of their own personal interest.

imho rented Public hive servers should go because the evidence that I've seen is people cannot be universally trusted. I would also say that the game would benefit from allowing players to only change their character names when a new character is started.

That in itself is not enough though because you also now have the user experience of persistence and vehicles. So I would say all servers need to state their policy on persistence wipes and any server due to be taken offline permanently or for an extended period needs to warn players a few days in advance. Its not ok for players who have spent significant time on storing items or preparing vehicles to have that suddenly taken away through the actions of an admin or provider. Yes DayZ is in alpha, yes bugs etc are expected but this is preventable by applying simple good practice. BIS should take control of persistence wipes on Public hive servers imho, providers need to inform players (via message of the day) a little notice before removing a service.

Whilst you are considering all of this BIS could update the server rules for Public hive to address:

- Servers who change their name on a daily basis
- Yoyo servers that come and go offline at someone's beck and call
- Persistence wipes without any notice or stating their policy
- Servers going permanently offline without any notice
- Server naming violations join=kick, impersonating an official server etc

Our team play since the beginning of the launch of Dayz (5e server FR) . We create or community and server in public hive for 1 think very important. The opening for all, we really like meeting other players of the world, this is what gives this game its essence and its piquant always to be on the lookout for a bad encounter, and only the public allows this emulsion. We have banned only 15 players from our server since 3 years, and still for good reasons (we never took advantage of our admin advantage to penalize other players) cheats or glitch only. Managing the server to give players who come on the best experience takes us a lot of time. 

So know you stop the possibility to ban the cheaters from the public server, you will really kill public hive. It's really a total lack of respect for the teams that have always been involved in making the players' community work. We always do that while the game does not progress at all, you thank us for a very strange way ...

The only reason i see it's for make more money with location of the server. Don't say it's for optimize the relationship beetween players...

Do you require us to take private servers? The only result you are going to get is the loss of the last uneducable dayz players...

Edited by Nicolas Vaquier
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, Baty Alquawen said:

This isn't about ending public hive, but not allowing people to rent a server on the public hive. We will still have a bunch of official servers offering intended experience.

This would make sense as long as the Official DayZ servers could keep up with player demand and admins to monitor cheating. When I rented a server it was fun, we had some regulars but when I would monitor rcon, most people would spawn in just to loot and then leave. So I think it does kill the experience. Plus you have little control for administration, like you mentioned. The biggest benefit is for those players that just want to jump in and play without worrying about being white-listed, which is where maintaining a strong official public hive would come into play. I for one think that if it will improve the experience, cut down on cheating/server hoping, etc. do it!

giphy.gif

Edited by ShallowTech

Rented public servers should be removed, and make it private only, Modded, admin.

Bring the price down for people and maybe it will be affordable, otherwise as soon as you can release the files for us to do our own Dedi servers.

Reason i feel the public *server hop* servers should go is not just the server hop, exploit but the fact it is too much on the central hive, too much added expense, and reduced resources.

I really get why you did this, but it is taxing on the "whole" system. Not only making rules up for everything, but having to police the whole thing.

Very good topic. I played a little more than 400 hours in this stable patch and will share my experience with pleasure.

The private servers on which I originally played and then abandoned have a very questionable administration on each server. I saw situation(in time crashs of servers before fixed) where admin to ban everyone in a row and then ask for money from my friend(10 eur xD) to remove the ban, and sometimes it happens. Often, private servers have an additional server, closed, for dupe loot and sales of VIP slots. Solo to play on private servers is almost impossible, as there are usually large groups of players playing, unlike public.

Public servers. Public servers are my DayZ. I bought the game more than three years ago. On a public server, you always have the option to change the server if you suddenly become bored if it is emptied(pop.LOW) in the morning or at another time of the day. You can go to an almost empty server and look for loot if you do not like to finding loot on a full server where you always can be killed a group of top looters. :) On a public server, a much larger influx of people, which is constantly connected, is replaced. There's more fun and fun here. I see the DayZ only on public servers.

BUT, public servers like and Dayz have a big problem. It's cheaters(Cheat programms). I believe that on public servers should be allowed ban cheaters and glitchers. All new rules, such as 5 restarts per day, kick and ban, which is easily circumvented, only reduced the popularity of this game. This is the only and unique online game I play, yes, yes, I have one online game. And if now there were no public servers with an active administration that bans cheaters, I would simply not have the nerves to play my favorite game. :)

The problem of cheaters is very urgent. After each anti-cheat update, after a few hours the cheats are updated. Their huge amount and with this there's nothing to be done. Almost erom very day I die by cheater on a full servers. Me save a few servers where they are actively banned, and their number decreases a little bit a hundred times. Give people the opportunity to fight with cheaters and keep their servers where people can safely play, knowing that the administration of the server will take action. 
Will allow ban cheaters on public. In the end, if something does not suit you on one server, you can always go to another server without losing your loot.

This is a game that takes a huge amount of time to get excellent loot, if there is no possibility to change the server without loosing loot, namely, close the public servers, the game will die. This is my personal opinion to which you can listen, or you can not listen. 

• Like 1

On 10.04.2017 at 6:18 PM, Baty Alquawen said:

This isn't about ending public hive, but not allowing people to rent a server on the public hive. We will still have a bunch of official servers offering intended experience.

Also, I personally know up to 5 players ordering public servers in order to play the clan against the clan, avoiding cheaters. In total, this is more than 100 people, and this only who I know, and I think in real that 1000+ players of a publick servers only. For them, the game will die along with the ban on leasing public servers as for me. Since I see the game only on public servers without cheaters, but at publicly-issued public servers where they are banned.

I have no concerns with DayZ SA players renting public servers... why they would want to do so when they have no control over it's usage by other players is somewhat puzzling. I myself have rented both a public and a private hive at different times so I understand the differences.

In my opinion, the deciding difference between public/private is the ability to hop servers and farm loot. I don't believe in server hopping and though I have done so on more than one occasion, I usually avoid doing so myself as I would avoid the plague. I believe that there should be a substantial penalty for server hopping and that the penalty should escalate each time you do so during a session.

I guess that I am fairly lucky in that I have access to several servers with a decent ping, but once I decide which one gives me the best connectivity, I stay with it... rain or shine, day or night.

For me, the perfect solution is a private hive open to the public... what goes on there, stays there! It's just that renting a private hive is so damn expensive! LOL. :j

The opinion of my Sigma team is to leave servers rented.
Many play team wars.
 cheaters a lot.
I think there will be big consequences if you remove the lease. Either more players will come, or popularity will fall.
For our part, our existence in Dayz will cease.

On 4/22/2017 at 4:53 PM, Sergey Serov said:

Very good topic. I played a little more than 400 hours in this stable patch and will share my experience with pleasure.

The private servers on which I originally played and then abandoned have a very questionable administration on each server. I saw situation(in time crashs of servers before fixed) where admin to ban everyone in a row and then ask for money from my friend(10 eur xD) to remove the ban, and sometimes it happens. Often, private servers have an additional server, closed, for dupe loot and sales of VIP slots. Solo to play on private servers is almost impossible, as there are usually large groups of players playing, unlike public.

You report these things to the correct people. Failure to do so, is your own fault.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:41 AM, Baty Alquawen said:

Hello guys,

We started to think about the future of public hive servers.

We are considering the idea to discontinue the possibility to rent public servers. Admins have very limited options to moderate public hives and servers are frequently used as loot/dupe farms, which ruins the DayZ experience. According to community, public servers are more often targeted by hackers. That is however not confirmed by our data which indicates that they are rather aiming at higher population servers with streamers present.

So, we need your opinion guys. What do you think about public servers hive? If you are renting public server, why did you choose a public and not private hive?

EDIT:  This isn't about ending public hive, but not allowing people to rent a server on the public hive. We will still have a bunch of official servers offering intended experience.

I have to ask this, This public hive conversation, is no way to stop development on closing the gaps for cheaters i hope?

It just came to thought. Otherwise private servers will have to rely on a 3rd party application.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:35 PM, Sergey Serov said:

Also, I personally know up to 5 players ordering public servers in order to play the clan against the clan, avoiding cheaters. In total, this is more than 100 people, and this only who I know, and I think in real that 1000+ players of a publick servers only. For them, the game will die along with the ban on leasing public servers as for me. Since I see the game only on public servers without cheaters, but at publicly-issued public servers where they are banned.

After reading this, i am rather confused?

Public hive is connected to the central hive. Private is connected to itself.

Public is cheaper then Private when renting, You can lock Private, but not public.

You at the current time are not allowed to restrict any player from playing on public hives. So clan vs clan battles are best suited for Private hives.

Cheaters can move to any server, and are banned at the same time if caught by Battleye.

There is many rules to follow and restrictions on public hives, which will hinder the public from banning, kicking, shutting down, and modding them. You are best suited to own your own private hive.

The public server is best kept to the official vanilla servers, and any modded servers are best suited for private. This way mods can modify them without problems.

Also the only major issue with private right now is getting the gsp guys to drop the prices down on the servers. It is way to expensive to host private. 30 player Lif is like 20 bucks a month.

So if we can aim to bring the price down to 40-50 per month i think that might be more affordable to customers. Right now you can spend well over a 100 a month :( 1 Master hive, but cheaper solutions for more servers attached.

• Like 1

ArmAIII has twenty (20) official servers. They are used not only by and for random players but run different game modes or popular mods for data collects I believe.
A similar approach would do no harm to the DayZ community in my (humble) opinion.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, boneboys said:

ArmAIII has twenty (20) official servers. They are used not only by and for random players but run different game modes or popular mods for data collects I believe.
A similar approach would do no harm to the DayZ community in my (humble) opinion.

It would not cause any harm but provide a more "vanilla" gaming experience. I agree completely with this statement. If private decides to run vanilla, that is good too. You can join a community, or simply run randomly in official.

Offical i tend not to see any moderation though. Where as i choose private due to admin control.

Take 100 servers make them loot porch capable.

Most people just wanna kill and loot quickly and try it again. No one can argue that it is not subjective right?

Why? Because it is fun as hell. Lots of people wanna play Dayz like that. No one can argue that it is not subjective right?

Why the hell do people that only play on private care about what we do on public?

Why do you guys wanna deprive us pubs of our fun? If I get kicked from a server that I go to loot from I go into another.

We are working with what we have been given. 

We don't wanna play COD or Battlefield. We wanna play Dayz with lots of easy loot.

Would not take long to find more people playing on those than on public or private. Lets find out eh?

Just because 30 or so people come here  and stroke each other,

does not mean that there are not thousands that could careless about this site or it's opinions.

IMT had a great suggestion. Get rid of the weather message and link to this discussion.

You might drag in a few more, but really no one cares. Lets find out eh?

Three types of servers should be an easy setup. Put to bed these speculations once and for all.

This forum, though important as a gateway for  user feedback,  has a bullying smell that cannot be denied.

Lots of posts get dog piled by the regulars. Sometimes user frustration on the boards tells us some people just wanna kill.

Some young people and illiterates like me do not have the skills to voice a compelling argument.

I don't know why using tactics and trial and error of attacks and traps and bait  and misdirection and fire lanes 

and choke points and situational awareness and cost effect ratio and target of opportunity and deception and evasion and avoiding armed combat 

and learning strategy are not as important in a so called survival game  as much or more than kill a cow harvest the meat and hide then find a barrel some lime nails and

water tan the hides then  make hooks from the bones then color them with nails or berries  then run around like a survival guru.  

Maybe we should look into the plight of the cows and give them all rape whistles to make it seem like we care about them. 

I would think the developers would want to welcome all types of players to the game. Listening to this very narrow faction

would be a mistake alienating many of the unheard voices.

I keep hearing about immersion. No one can argue that it is not subjective right?

I believe that the usage statistics of a three server type system would take the speculation and emotion from the equation.

This opinion could be taken as an opportunity  to put to bed the argument once and for all.

I proudly champion the KOS style of playing.

Thanks for your time and patience. 

ok the circumstance to be unable to ban a player is ridiuclous for server admins... i know

but if private persons or groups are able to whitelist their servers, alot of abuse is going on...belive me

there will be hundreds of such "loot farm" servers banning everyone who tries to join, except some farmers.. as discribed above

so its better bohemia manages the public hive servers. this also has advantages.

don't worry, when mods come into game we will get more hives (ex: several mod servers connected to their own hive) and the servers will be manageable by their owners/operators.. like the dayz mod anno arma 2.

there should also be rules for players. if he violates this rules he should be banned from the hive (how ever... by battleeye or by admin ban), so that he is still able to play another hive or singleplayer*. if he abuses it frequently,  then he have to buy the game again to play on the hives.

Edited by Funkdoc

I dont like or need 3rd-peron- and public-servers. In a survival-simulator you should not have the possibility to have the view of a drone hovering over u. Also teleporting to another dimension of Chernarus with the same toon is not written in the script of how DayZ is ment to be played, i think. So why give us the possibility to do so?

It's a freakin jungle of public-servers out there. Way too much in my opinion. Many of them are only for selfish purpose (mostly not enterable or offline).

For me it will have no negative consiquences if BI quit private-conrolled-public server, but for many others like clans and such. But i believe these problems can be solved otherwise. Some more easyly conected private-servers or such, or linking 2 private server for a weekend should solve the most problems i think. Dont know if thats possible.

I also dont think that that BI can administrate a nessecary amount of servers. I'm also sure there will be less public-servers on the list (what is great in my opinion). I think the public server will turn into a mess of KOS-Deathmatch with all kind of dupers and such which normaly hidden on their servers while doing their dirty business. In this way BI will be much more faced with all that dirt thats happening on public. I also see BI forced eating all the hate that is curently thrown at the "Badmins".

Nevertheless the public will always be well needed for the Game itself. Most new players drop into the game on public servers. Many of them come from CoD, Arma and such and turn to realy friendly and inspired players if they understand the deep of the game. Others will not and keep on KOSing, ghosting and duping and such. But thats OK. DayZ is kind of game that can be played in so many ways. This fact was the reason for me to buy this game, and everyone has the same right to play his way. Thats what private-servers are for and if modding-features are added, public will also change dramaticly.

Resüme: Its good i dont have to decide this.

The game is in Alpha and the public server need adjustment. @BI dont be shy. Start fixing this.

You will do some players a favor as u offend others no matter how u do. How is it ment to be played?

On 05.05.2017 at 2:52 PM, amikron said:

THIS IS RUINING EVERYTHING:

You 100% right. Too much undetected cheats. and bogemia does not want to solve this problem. School Hack also very popular and undetected russian cheat. I know guys who reported on this cheat long time ago and what? and nothing... every day cheaters killing players from textures and with a fist from afar.... 

Who will ban cheaters on your uncontrolled public servers? Now the DayZ is Cheaterland, and after such changes it would be a number one failure in online games.

20 hours ago, boneboys said:

Please, no videos or links to hacks.

Why? Because Developers can not fight these cheats? 

1 hour ago, Sergey Serov said:

Why? Because Developers can not fight these cheats? 

Because it's against the forum rules.

Besides, its bad to give unwanted exposure to cheats and glitches to public. Do that via private messages to the devs.

I think the same thing I thought when I first bought DayZ. Sharing loot across multiple servers is just a bad idea all around.

Do any of the official servers actually maintain a good number of players?  If the official servers are the ones that say NJ 2-12, AU 2-5 and the Dayz Standalone, etc, they are never even close to be at full or medium capacity... always low and always with less than 6 players, who are server hopping or building a base.   So for financial reasons,  I bet the official servers are killed off in the future and probably what the devs are hoping for.  

I for one like to loot and  build my base on official servers.  i don't have the time I use to to play, so quicker gearing is the key for me. Being able to find an empty server to gear up usually brings me to the "official" servers.  But  I enjoy the looting aspect of the game.  I also like hunting for other bases and players.. Not RP so much.  Initially I thought having different hives for official and public was going to be an issue for me, but as it turns out, it's not.  There are plenty of rented servers I can build my base on, then hop over to Trump's Wall and do some hunting ;)