Baty Alquawen

Future of public hive servers

4 hours ago, Soupy98 said:

In my opinion public hives should not exist. Every server should be a private hive. The idea of being able to leave one server, join another and still have all the same gear just rubs me the wrong way. It leads to all kinds cheap tactics and things that people do. I know public hive is never going away, so yes not allowing the renting of public servers is a good first step, but maybe also if you leave a server in any way besides crashing or a server reset should start a 10 minute timer to join a server. This would stop these cheap tactics of ghosting/ combat logging. 

Agreed and it's 100% opposed to the spirit of DayZ. All of my good memories from DayZ are private server memories. They foster community and are in keeping with what DayZ is supposed to be. Server hopping, combat logging, it's all BS.

• Like 1

Great topic.  

I personally dislike shared hives due to ghosting as others have mentioned but if we are to have one this change will make it a better introduction to the game than the current state of affairs.  

If there here is a public hive it should not have private management.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, r4hDex said:

DayZ without own public server it's no longer my Game. Sorry.

Please elaborate. Why do you need to rent your own public server?

6 hours ago, Tazhar said:

Allow public hive servers more freedom, allow them to ban for rule breaks that they set in their own community rules. For example, if a community doesn't allow "Kill on Sight" or "Deathmatch" allow them to ban for this particular rule break.

That's what private hives are for. A 'no KOS', 'no deathmatch' public server is just another loot farm.

5 hours ago, Akoran said:

not a fucking chance. Public servers make this game worth playing.

12 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:

This isn't about ending public hive, but not allowing people to rent a server on the public hive. We will still have a bunch of official servers offering intended experience.

• Like 2

Yes please, great idea.

There's far too many empty public servers that people just use to server hop, and far too many are ripe with abuse of item duplication and other stuff. I fully support Bohemia Interactive being the only ones managing the public servers.

Since I very first started playing DayZ, the administration/curation of the public hive experience (or complete lack thereof) has been a point of contention for me.  I always imagined that a online multiplayer game would have a set of public servers run by the publisher; or at the very least, contracted out and absentee managed by the publisher.

The endgame of DayZ for me, would be to establish play on an official server and manage to carve out a significant sphere of influence on that server,  to support raiding other servers for resources.  There are many reasons that this is not viable in DayZ at this time, particularly the instability of 'official servers.'

While I like the idea of BI taking on the role of curating the official public hive experience, I think there are some things that should happen before public server rentals are taken off the table.

Firstly needing said, is that the need for this decision on how to form the public hive is ostensibly a result of three factors; lootfarming/duping, badmins, and the inabity to ban *cough* offending players *cough*.

Without addressing the issue of those offending players targeting fully populated servers with active streamers, we are left with two core issues.  Sadly, both of these issues are a result of the entirely toothless enforcement of the posted public server hosting rules.  A second concern that creates a weakness in the public hive is the handling of non-rented public servers, specifically the failure to ensure the patch-life integrity of individual 'official' public servers.

These two main issues should be addressed before any drastic steps are taken, such as entirely removing the option to rent public servers.  The preeminent choice to improve the situation on public hive would be to simply make an effort to enforce the rules, as posted on these forums.

The solution to the other issue, I suppose, is the very thing proposed by this topic.  I would be very concerned about the possibility of publicly rented and individually administered servers being taken out of the community, only to be replaced by official servers hitherto completely devoid of any active administration.  I would very much like to see what an "Official BI hosted server" might look like, before any major aspects of the game are removed.

I like the idea of an official BI hosted and administered public hive, a true wild west of DayZ experiences, with the culture of each server growing out of the regular players who choose to call it home.  So far, I've never seen this, and I have seen no evidence whatsoever that Bohemia has any experience successfully administering a large number of public servers for DayZ SA.

How about we see what these servers will look like and how they will perform over time before visibly removing half of the game, as it might be perceived?

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 4

Please don't discontinue public hives. I play in South East Asia, where internet is terrible and Day-z popularity is absolute shite. At the moment I have maybe 2-3 servers to choose from that are below 300ping. If you close public hives i will have exactly 0 servers to play on. Let the dupers dupe, i dont mind as long as i get to play in some capacity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gobbokirk said:

The private loot farm "Join-Kick" servers will eventually have to go, if nothing else to improve new players first impressions.

This join=kick lootfarms seem to be the main purpose of these hives, not any high pop thingy. I'd ask the dev to join 20 random rented public servers anonymously, no matter the title or the pop, and try to play 10 minutes on each ... then see from how many servers you are kicked within these 10 minutes. This should deliver an interesting experience....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, meuchel said:

No! You are generalizing! There are a lot of public hive server owners who do not do this and if anybody misuses the powers he payed for then they need to be punished! I believe... no I know this is a lot more simple than fighting hackers without the community! 

I am on page two now and thats account number 2 obviously only created for this thread. I am tempted to ask, if you are one of the legendary join/kick admins, since you are amongst the only people defending the "rented public" with verve ...

Edit, 2 posts later there is the THIRD account registered only for this thread asking to keep the servers. Well, seems your loot&kick farms are gettin unpopular ...

Edited by Noctoras
  • Like 1

They should just be controlled by the developers. Not rented or controlled by consumers.

No point in being controlled by players as its seemed to cause nothing but issues. Admins being "reported" for banning people based off nothing but getting an advantage in game is not uncommon at all. As stated in the OP they are used mainly for duping and ridiculous abuse of server hopping. Server hopping is by FAR the biggest issue with public servers. It was a massive issue in DayZ mod and is still an issue with very little done to counter it.

Have public servers controlled by the devs and PLEASE remove the public "hive" system all together. It just does not belong in a survival game.

@The_Lonely_Bandit

absolutely agree, but i think server hopping could be simply avoided through timer and anti-hopper technics as we already have seen in dayz. Within one hour there must be a max. count of server login's for the player. if he penetrates it over time, then he should loose all his gear.

@DevTeam

Yes, the public hive and servers should only be managed by the developers. reasons are written above...

This also has the benefit of taking the Hive servers (or clones) into the public severs network(s), which allow much more bandwidth between them and more game stability (if resources are shared correctly).

And on the other hand DevTeam should think about releasing the private server binaries for the public to give the crowd the possibility to run it with future dayz mods and on their own hardware without renting the really expensive private hive servers at the game server hosts. they have shitty hardware and run multiple instances of the game on one machine.... they earn the big money and have done nothing for this game.

Edited by Funkdoc

Worst case scenario, if Public hives are ripped away from genuine communites that want to up-hold a great playing standard on DayZ, just because of a handful of servers that are public, but used privately for groups....

Then at least half the price of Private hives. I'm paying £62 a month for a 30 slot private hive, If my 60 Slot public hive (costing around £30 a month) is taken away, I would need to supplement that by upgrading my Private to 60 slots, and maybe even a second server.

I'd be paying £240 a month for 2 servers - how the hell can that be justified AT ALL?.

For my opinion, Dayz doesnt need public-hives. Serverhopping, ghosting, hackers etc...just no. Or otherwise, just bring basebuiling into the game and the problem would also be solved ;)

edit: Joined: July 4, 2012 srsly? 5 years?

Edited by looterk1ng

8 hours ago, The_Lonely_Bandit said:

Have public servers controlled by the devs and PLEASE remove the public "hive" system all together. It just does not belong in a survival game

For me thinking about the future, there is no other solution than only private hives.

The reason behind this are mainly three:

1. Base Building: I do not know how dayzdev team could manage to avoid base hopping once this feature will be implemented. I cannot image any workaround to avoid this situation with public hives.

2. Official "Private shard" servers: For me there should be Private (Public) servers managed by BI. I mean Private shard in official servers like "Official Dayz private server #1". These servers would be administrated by BI team, catching possible cheaters monitorizing them when they want... (every dayz server should be an independant world itself with a independant community)

3. Server hopping for loot: The same than with point 1, I cannot imagine how could dev team solve this problem. I do not give a fuck about the poeple that wants fast loot in short time. I always play on private shards because high tier weapons are harder to find, this leads to firefights with low tier weapons and I think is really enjoyable to fight with civilian weapons instead of finding everyone with AKs, FALs etc.

Best regards!

9 hours ago, Noctoras said:

This join=kick lootfarms seem to be the main purpose of these hives, not any high pop thingy. I'd ask the dev to join 20 random rented public servers anonymously, no matter the title or the pop, and try to play 10 minutes on each ... then see from how many servers you are kicked within these 10 minutes. This should deliver an interesting experience....

Yeah it's not a good thing at all.. Fair enough if people want to loot up on low pops, whatever, you're still at some risk at least, but your own private loot farm that doesn't really get policed, not so much.

I feel the supliers should step up from just relying on reports and actually do their own checks if we keep the public rentals an option.

• Like 1

Personally I loved the idea of the public hive when SA came out. But it's problems have proven insurmountable I think. I have recently started playing on private servers exclusively and my DayZ experience has improved a lot. You have my vote to dump public servers. They really do kill the DayZ experience. 

• Like 1

well, i play this game from the early start, i went trough all the childhood, cheater, duper probs, all experimentels build ets pp... bohemia destroys the game by taking us our admin rights(just look steam charts since public admins not able do ban cheaters), they are not able to get this problem byself, they neeeeed us to help them. and if they really close most publics and run publics by theirself (so without admin to controll servers) and only privates are controlled by admin, game is broken. This game is only running because of public servers. The Private communitys are to small and to closed, with just to many rules etc(++ its absoult impossible ive there is a 5 players squad every evening in tisy, stary ets, and shoot all they can, for new players to get the whole map, this is only possible in public), i have actuall like 5 characters on different privates, but my heard is in public, and ive they run public servers only by their self they will loose like 30-50% of players, so game will be broken. Well because the Duper public admins blabla, in .61 you dont need a server to dupe, it work since exprimentel without own server, like in some versions before. Go ahead and make it only possible to rent a 60+ Server, so its to expensive to use them only for base building, duping or loot farms, because they are already to expensive for my opinion. Give Admins the right to Ban Cheaters, many players left the game not because of the slow develoment, they left because of cheaters, wating for next patch, play until cheaters arrive, and left again (like me and many others i know). Without the possibility for Admins to fight Cheaters, and witout Strong Admin tools Bohemia only supports the Cheater industry, and destroys dayz. We have a 6000+ gamer in hour team, he by the way play only public, he takes his free time to run true the map, loots, and hopes to NOT find other players, its fun for him to play on low player servers.

I call the public hive the public sewers. Shared shards needs to go, people renting public servers needs to go. The devs have to see all the abuse these owners commit and the players exploit by ghosting or loot farming which is the complete opposite of what the game is supposed to be about. you say we should value our toons well how the hell can we do that when people just go to servers that are empty and loot then go to full pops for shoots and giggles that's not valuing your toon or survival that's deathmatch. if you want dayz to be a game where the life of your toon means something where your time survived means something the public hive definetly needs changes. If not the real dayz game experience will always be on the private servers where it's fairplay due to no shard sharing and community driven thanks to great players and staff of the server. no dumbass loot farming asshat who jumps server to server looking for a short adrenaline rush because he's to lazy to do the work on the server where the damn people are. And if you allow this kind of crap on consoles like renting servers allowing abuse by admins and allowing loot farming then it will dead in the water as soon as it arrives.

Edited by gannon46
added to my rant

dupers aren't the main problem the problem is private loot servers on the public hive. clans and asshats lock these servers or kick etc so they can loot in peace then go to the public hive and do battle it's not dayz it's a deathmatch. i'm all for public servers but they should be separate from each other like the private hive. And you say things like people hang out at tisy and just shoot folks, yeah that's dayz they are stronger they hold the ground you shouldn't be able to just leave the server with all your loot and your toon because you want to loot tidy and are to lazy or unskilled to fight them or organize a mob to kill them. that's dayz bro you have to deal with those things that's the point of the damn game the world has collapsed and it's survival of the fittest not oh it's too hard to survive let's go to an empty server to loot tisy and then go back to the server and just avoid that area.  I imagine rick from the walking dead would love to have the ability to go to another dimension where there is no negan but that wouldn't be a good show would it?

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 1

I oppose this outright! And I shall try to motivate my reasons. Firstly I love playing on Public rented servers because it is great for farming gear and stowing it for PVP use for myself and my friends. Now the server that I have a very large well-hidden base near Tisy, does not show up on the server list anymore.  My friends and myself worked hard to collect the gear, food, medical supplies, etc. I refuse to log into the game when my favorate rented home base public server does not show up on the log in server list. If the rented servers are permanently removed with the result that I had lost my tent base and all that gear, I hereby want to make known that I shall never play this game again and remove it from my PC and on steam. I may regret having spent money on this game but will have to considder it a loss and write off.

@Baty Alquawen

Now that Bohemia have removed access to BattleEye.bans folder for public servers, this is causing havok amongst established communities. 

We have lost the ability to actively administrate our OWN servers. Can you justify why I'm paying over £150 a month for two servers I can't even moderate myself? We are a highly ranked and respected community with a huge flow of traffic through our servers, and the way these changes are going - you're treating us like an extension to Bohemia. Please can you explain why this change was made. It's causing a successful, respectable and loyal community to fail. 

• Like 3

to gannon46,
well you think that the main prob are loot farms in public servers? so go on and play some privates.. they also have loot farm servers conneted in ther little hives, there are private servers out there you have to pay for it to play and dont be kicked, you gear up, fill up your camp with stuff, change server and do what a big part of the community do - fight.

I have more than 2600 hours of dayz xp now gannon46, and i love it to run in low to med servers, gear up, hide my bases in the woods. sometimes i play friendly but like only 20% of my game time(well we also have our "Doc's Clinic" on TS for RPG players on our public 60 server....). But most of my game time i do what most people do, gear up and fight, because its actually end game content, so the deathmatch thing you dont like. And it takes not much time to gear up as a xp player, no matter if it a public, a loot farm a private or whatever, lets be puh like max 1hour to have enough stuff and be really full equi(like full set of army clothes, army style weapon, enough ammo to outsource your loot work). Well we have big bases on some servers, not only one server, we also had biiig tent citys as our own end game style, build our own citys with like 10-15 people, farming, hunting, making clothes ets and not only once. I think we already do all what is possible in Dayz, very all. And, mostly WE are the people with better stuff that kill all and everything enter our area, because city we are in its our city until better people come and kill us. So bambis diddnt have a real chance if they are not able to get there stuff, every bambi is a threat for us, ive you are to friendly they just going to punch you in the face... no matter if its a public or private. But on Public Servers bambis can just switch to a low to med populated server, thats the thing what Publics are - Maximize the World of Dayz, - play on a 60 people server to see more often people and get shoot more often... play on a 10 people server and feel the real zombieapocalypse in pve ;) DayZ need there Public servers controlled by Admins, because Bohemia is not able to host and care for it, its  like a fulltime job, well i will work for them as host for standard german € income lol. They cant handle the cheater problem, actuall there are more and more cheaters everyday again on publics, we know names and GUI of these cheaters on our server, we also have video proofs of there cheats lol, but cant do a shit against them, just kicking, yesterday i kicked some people like 25-35 times ! its anoying as fuck(sry for bad words, but it is what it is !), our community in our facebook group make cheater entrys from hour to hour...

So Pleaaase let there be a real future for Public Servers Bohemia, give us our rights back, and if we are only able to ban players for like one day or maybe only for 15 mins. Publics maximize the World of dayz and game exprience a lot more than privates are able to do. Well maybe give Private Admins/Servers the chance to quick connect each other to build there real own Hive DayZ worlds and maximes there square miles. I think if there are a hive with like 20 conected Private servers with like 4500 km² (so you can switch like in public, hide bases ets) many people will be fine with that, but you have to change your spawn system a little..

Bohemia has to strictly enforce their policies is all.

No kicking, passwords, frequent restarts and resets. Well, start enforcing those rules, because as you said people still do so plenty.

Not sure what to do about the kicking tho, that  should be a freedom of any server owner but people just install autokickers on their server and keep them for their clannies.

Edited by Buakaw

well actuall its not possible to kick ID or GUID i really dont know what bohemia developers where thinking or planing do to this. and iv somebody rents a server for him and his clannies its his money, just dont join a server with "clan server autokick bla". to many rules destroy games, cause people hate to much rules, im from germany, trust me :D

On 4/11/2017 at 0:04 PM, Jandre Kroeze said:

I oppose this outright! And I shall try to motivate my reasons. Firstly I love playing on Public rented servers because it is great for farming gear and stowing it for PVP use for myself and my friends. Now the server that I have a very large well-hidden base near Tisy, does not show up on the server list anymore.  My friends and myself worked hard to collect the gear, food, medical supplies, etc. I refuse to log into the game when my favorate rented home base public server does not show up on the log in server list. If the rented servers are permanently removed with the result that I had lost my tent base and all that gear, I hereby want to make known that I shall never play this game again and remove it from my PC and on steam. I may regret having spent money on this game but will have to considder it a loss and write off.

Why can you not use an official BI hosted server for the same purposes?  I used to just go to random public servers to set up my bases, and very rarely did any of them get found.  I had to pay nothing for this privilege, just picked a random server and called it home.
You do have a valid concern in the longevity of a server (public or private) throughout a patch cycle--at which point you will lose all persistent progress due to the next version being pushed.
The only solution at this time, is to play on a well established server without a history of persistence resets.  I believe DUG had to reset their persistence once already this cycle.

It would be nice if BI took steps to ensure that there were stable servers, guaranteed to never go black.

8 hours ago, Soptan said:

well actuall its not possible to kick ID or GUID i really dont know what bohemia developers where thinking or planing do to this. and iv somebody rents a server for him and his clannies its his money, just dont join a server with "clan server autokick bla". to many rules destroy games, cause people hate to much rules, im from germany, trust me :D

Too many rules destroy games?  What is a game without rules?  A competitive online multiplayer game should, by definition, not have any possibility of a pay-to-win structure, such as afforded by public hive loot-locker servers.  That's P2W, and needs to go and never come back.

I'm sure many mods will show up pandering to the lowest common denominator, but vanilla DayZ should ban accounts for such abuses.  A game, after all, is supposed to be played on a level field.  There is nothing fair about paying $100/mo to get the best gear in the game with little to no challenge.  That is pay-to-win.

When the only option for a new player to avoid getting steamrolled on the coast by identically kitted clans who come from their locked loot server, is to not play on public servers, the game is broken.  Rules are what make a game playable

• Like 4

I have a private whitelisted server and had the slave to go with it..however let me tell you its expensive..and even with a private whitelisted server you still get the jerks that want to dupe steal raid KOS so stopping public server rentals is only going to be more of a headache for those of us trying to run a decent server  we will end up with people that want to be whitelisted and then proceed to try  to ruin everyone else's game..if/when dayz is ever finished  and we are  given files to mod our servers then perhaps that will stop some of these people but I don't see that happening any time soon..one thing that does help tho is if server admins restart BEC after every server restart...and keep a close eye on the logs..took me 5 hours to read thru 95 pages of logs to make sure I was banning people caught doing wrong on my server..I've had my master server for 21 months and trying to get people to play on there is a joke..they want to play public to "wreck some fools" when dayz is finished and the hackers dupers cheaters are not able to play on public then they will bombard our private servers..so leave public to them and us to our servers..

• Like 1