Sign in to follow this  
stilton

Why does it still feel like im 'driving' a tank, instead of a dude wearing a t-shirt.

Maybe my post was too long for attention span of the average forum user..Lets try these key points in bold.

Back in 2015 i mentioned the way the game handles 'movement'  and the constant communication between client / server. The game essentially moves your character about.. You can 'feel' this whilst playing the game. Sometimes you feel like you are 'fighting' your own character, or you get rubber banded about.

Is everyone happy with this?  Because there doesn't seem to be much impedance for the devs to fix something if they think its fine.. and if nobody says it's a problem they will think its fine. Finally, playing in their office with the servers the 'issue' would not be as obvious than someone playing remotely.

So, to really further simplify, and for lack of better descriptors,  the question is:

" Do you see any problem with the way the Movement in this game 'feels' ?  "

or better:

" Are you happy the way the Movement in this game is handled? "

Personally i would say it's currently not a good enough implementation for a 'competitive shooter'.
I shouldn't be fighting the zombies, players, user interface, ladders and 'central hive' - only 2 of those.

------------------------------------------------------
This is the start of the post before editing :)  Mainly to do with the fact i can't even turn consistantly after reinstalling. But since there's not a huge number of people confirming the problem i'll assume this is something particular with my setup that will not get fixed.  :)

I re-installed yesterday to see what progress was being made and wow...
I've got a few beefs,  i'd appreciate some enlightenment:

1)   Simply put, i move my mouse 1inch to the left... my character rotates for example, 180 degrees...
If i rotate the same amount to the right.... my character rotates 720 degrees,   so... 3 times more. Only in the game.

This is the first thing i noticed within about 5 minutes and tbh i didn't really play too much after that because it was just frustrating as fuck, because i couldn't fix it in the controls, within the pages upon pages of user interface.

So,  giving the game the benefit of the doubt...  (  even though i couldn't do simple things like, disable other controllers from the built in user interface, which you could do in arma2 afair.  )

What could be causing this?  or is this a known bug.
I'm going to go and double check / delete all config folders to double check its not some old config file interfering in my Docs/dayz.

2)  Is increasing the FOV via the config allowed / accessible?  or is that considered 'cheating'
...It's just i played the game (or used to) in  3840 * 1920 resolution with headtracking... So,  the fov is kind of 'zoomed in'  and sickening.

3)  I'll also assume since i'm guessing alpha is coming to an end soon and you seem to be focusing more on client/renderer implementation now:  

-  Is the current implementation of the client / server what you're going to be sticking with then? :

Where turning itself is a laggy experience?

It's a shame, because it's really bad.. honestly.
Some things about this game you can forgive because 'oh its based on arma 2'  but not even arma2 'feels' this bad when you play it...

I'm not trying to shit on the devs here for the sake of it.. But you've improved arma 2 in a lot of ways, at the same time you've also made the gameplay experience much much worse in others... All these UI improvements are for naught if playing the game is motion-sickness inducing because of some constant rubber-banding like experience due to the server continually repositioning you or whatever the fuck is going on.

Again, not trying to shit on your work just for the sake of it..
But you can't really blame arma 2 for that because compared, arma 2 vanilla 64 player warfare gameplay is smoother.. and when you hit someone there, they die.. overall their game feels more consistant, competitive and rewarding...

Here i can't even turn consistantly anymore.

If i were you guys, and i had programmers to spare i would spend as much time as possible further refining that client server talk, so its either better interpolated, or it checks more frequently; because right now,` personally, i can still 'feel it' and i'm still fighting my character.. and i played it for like 2 minutes earlier..  and if you can't do that, because it costs too much (bandwidth or whatever)  then get rid of it... But i doubt you'll do that because a games company realising they've fucked up and actually fixing something is like a unicorn.  

Edited by stilton

New, player, controller. Kinda feels like a meme but there it is. Fingers crossed!

1 hour ago, stilton said:

Is increasing the FOV via the config allowed / accessible?  or is that considered 'cheating'
...It's just i played the game (or used to) in  3840 * 1920 resolution with headtracking... So,  the fov is kind of 'zoomed in'  and sickening.

More limited now. In 1st person you can max out FOV slider in settings then lock it out even further (IIRC default double-tap Num -). 

• Like 4

Yes thanks for mentioning that...

I forgot to say (although my post was long enough)  fov maxed (it only goes to 80 in my settings)  and zooming out the view gave it a more 'natural' feeling that wasn't nauseating..

But the fov should be increased imo; I shouldn't have to zoom out the view ingame to get a view that is 'playable' imo.

Ugh, another uninformed/misinformed user, something which is maybe too hard for the average forum user.

If you actually read up on the development you would've known that they are busy with a brand new player controller which is going to make controlling your character much more fluently. Also, the issue you mentioned is something I haven't read about so it's only you or an handful of other players. Rather then blaming the developers, maybe take a look at your own setup. Maybe there is an input device which messes up? I had this issue in Arma 2 where I couldn't look around with alt and that was because of a virtual input device.

I'm so sick of these threads where people spew shit out of their mouths but are misinformed, scratch that, uninformed.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, IMT said:

Ugh, another uninformed/misinformed user, something which is maybe too hard for the average forum user.

If you actually read up on the development you would've known that they are busy with a brand new player controller which is going to make controlling your character much more fluently. Also, the issue you mentioned is something I haven't read about so it's only you or an handful of other players. Rather then blaming the developers, maybe take a look at your own setup. Maybe there is an input device which messes up? I had this issue in Arma 2 where I couldn't look around with alt and that was because of a virtual input device.

I'm so sick of these threads where people spew shit out of their mouths but are misinformed, scratch that, uninformed.

Sorry to take away from your "valuable time" with my topic that obviously demanded your attention.. Who are you again? Also, thanks for taking the bait.

Unplugging the controller and deleting config files did fix that issue...  
I had only assumed since:
-  the controller wasn't enabled when the game started
-  it wasn't usable inside the game + there was no indication that it was interfering with the game.
- there was no ability to enable/disable it within the game (this is the devs responsibility, if you're gonna make it work ingame.. make it provide player feedback and have the ability to configure  enable/disable it.)

Finally...  That fixes that -one minor issue- that was Not the main gist of the post...

The main point of my post was criticism regarding the 'feel' that has been present since they implemented their 'central hive' architecture. see reference to post made back in 2015. dueuhr

Sorry didn't realise i had to have at least 1000 posts or get 'special permission' from the 'in crowd' to give feedback these days...

I'm SO SICK OF THESE POSTS
*stamps feet like a child*

Edited by stilton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stilton said:

Sorry to take away from your "valuable time" with my topic that obviously demanded your attention.. Who are you again? Also, thanks for taking the bait.

Unplugging the controller and deleting config files did fix that issue...  
I had only assumed since:
-  the controller wasn't enabled when the game started
-  it wasn't usable inside the game + there was no indication that it was interfering with the game.
- there was no ability to enable/disable it within the game (this is the devs responsibility, if you're gonna make it work ingame.. make it provide player feedback and have the ability to configure  enable/disable it.)

Finally...  That fixes that -one minor issue- that was Not the main gist of the post...

The main point of my post was criticism regarding the 'feel' that has been present since they implemented their 'central hive' architecture.

Sorry didn't realise i had to have at least 1000 posts or get 'special permission' from the 'in crowd' to give feedback these days...

I'm SO SICK OF THESE POSTS
*stamps feet like a child*

Who am I? My name is to the left but to make it easy for you, I'm IMT.

How can it be the developers responsibility if a (virtual) input device interferes with the mouse? You could clearly see that it was interfering with the game and that was because your mouse was behaving in a weird way.

I welcome feedback but I only welcome it from people who actually know shit and you sir, don't know shit.

The network synchronization issue is known. It's mentioned in the begin post of almost all the fucking Experimental threads so that figures how much you have read up about the game.

To come back to your original question, I'm someone who actually reads and posts a lot on these forums, specially the Stable and Experimental threads. I'm someone who is informed instead of stomping my feet like a child screaming that it's shit but don't know anything about what's going on or what's to come.

I don't give a shit about how many posts someone has or when they joined the forums. As long as they can contribute in a way that shows that they are up-to-date with the game, development and their knowledge then they are welcome to post. The only thing you're doing here is making yourself look ridiculous but fear not, you're not the first person.

• Like 3

Yes, the controller was interfering but there's no way in the ingame UI to enable or disable it?  How is that function not being there anyone else's responsibility but the devs?

I understand alpha, but having to unplug a controller that is not even turned on before running the game is poor implementation, for a project of this scope, even in alpha..

33 minutes ago, IMT said:

I welcome feedback

Thanks for giving me permission to post on your forums i appreciate it..  But,  "Who are you?" - wasn't a serious question.. It's purpose was purely rhetorical to highlight your stance as 'self appointed defender of the devs'.

You seem to think you are shaming me? by puffing out your chest on these public forums whose purpose is for players to give feedback.

That's all i'm doing, i reinstalled the game.. and these are immediate things i noticed that (as far as i can see, at first glance) haven't been altered in 2 years now...  Basic pillars of a first person shooters design, character control.

Basic things that have actually got worse, i'm just posting as another voice saying 'this is not right and needs to be fixed before release'

Just so you're clear on who you are: 
I don't need your permission or approval to post my opinions, so you can continue to do whatever it is you think you're doing, for whoever's benefit it is intended.

Edited by stilton
  • Like 1

Stilton controller support is not implemented yet , so it's a do at your own risk endeavor . If you want to make a controller work most of the time (depends on the patch) then use motioninjoys ds3 tool to activate the controller under a profile recognized by the game (usually Xbox 360 profile , sometimes you use PS3 profile depending on the patch) and to keybind each and every key to the controller you use Xpadder , a program that uses a bit map image of a PS3 controller and interactive shapes to create a layout of a controller which can then be filled with keybindings on your controller that correspond with the pc  controls of the game .

New player controller will help make the game feel more smooth , but I share your frustration at this point - the devs are repeating their status reports to a point that no new info has been given in months , they are out doing their fancy game expos and they say that they have all the old legacy systems ironed out of the game internally, but yet we sit in stale mate with these damn desync issues that are all related to these systems that just can't be removed from the public branches yet for some reason .

At this state / speed I predict beta ending around April of 2018 , maybe the full game being released a few weeks after , but it definitely has stretched beyond anyone's imagination of a 2.5-3 year development cycle , and every week / month that passes by I lose more and more interest in the game due to it being stale in the state that it's in (vehicles back to stable was nice but short lived for me due to horrible desync) - there's only so many meaningful interactions you can squeeze out in the 2,000 hours I have under my belt and since I've done literally everything pve and exploration wise I'm starting to crave what the game has promised it will be for over 3.4 years now : base building, barricading , advanced vehicles , soft skills , new physics animation and player controllers , electricity , birds , bears, advanced crafting , advanced cooking , full controller support so on and so forth . 

Cant wait to see all these features and not be frustrated with this game anymore , but unfortunately that still seems pretty far off - here's to hoping the devs get back on the hard work tRain they had been on for the past 3 years - IMO they have been going ten times slower ever since the start of 2017 , they said that at this stage the patches would be fewer but with more content and breakthrough mechanics , so far that hasn't been the case at all :( .

• Like 1

It's just a strange situation to have something that's apparently 'not supported' essentially break the game and have no way to turn it on/off or configure it from within the game.
A strange implementation indeed, surely it should be 'disabled' altogether..

If there's still any confusion:   i am not frustrated / dissapointed / saddened or any of these 'emotionally' loaded words, nor am i 'complaining' -- i am providing feedback.

I appreciate the leaps that have been made. Personally i was skeptical when they announced the 'new renderer' and the devs have proven my skepticism wrong and indeed succeeded in what they set out to do ...The same with the 'new inventory system'.

Hopefully they are aware of the problems with player controls, where it feels like the game is taking control away from you and it's not a smooth experience. [ Rubberbanding is one of the better descriptor for the 'feeling', because it is reminiscant of playing on an old dialup modem ]

But only a fool would assume so and hope for the best.

At least i can personally say.. I voiced the problems several times,  on one occasion (2015) i was assured by a dev it was something they were looking into...  

But until the problem is fixed, there's nothing gained by sitting back and not voicing the problem. I understand if you've read thread's like this before, i invite you to not reply and do something productive with your time... Because you add nothing of value to this conversation.  You could say the same about what i'm posting.. I would counter that i am another user/customer adding weight to the value of a particular concern.

Finally, as an 'excuse' for my post,  this is posted on my time schedule, not theirs.. I'm sorry if they've done a poll that asked peoples opinions over the last 6 months what the userbases'  opinions were on rubber-banding caused by the nature of their client/server implementation  -- but like I've said before, i'm not getting paid to hang around and partake on their schedule.  

(So, there's no grey area as to where i'm coming from -- I'm certainly not trying to come across as cunty here, but apparently some people think it's wrong of me to post any feedback, or apparently i'm supposed to go do 'research' before voicing my opinion - No.  Nobody has to read my opinion, take it on board, or even care.. But unless you're an employee of BI or a moderator i'll kindly invite you to take your unsolicited opinion of me / my posts and apply it to yourself.  )

Edited by stilton

2 hours ago, stilton said:

Yes, the controller was interfering but there's no way in the ingame UI to enable or disable it?  How is that function not being there anyone else's responsibility but the devs?

I understand alpha, but having to unplug a controller that is not even turned on before running the game is poor implementation, for a project of this scope, even in alpha..

Thanks for giving me permission to post on your forums i appreciate it..  But,  "Who are you?" - wasn't a serious question.. It's purpose was purely rhetorical to highlight your stance as 'self appointed defender of the devs'.

You seem to think you are shaming me? by puffing out your chest on these public forums whose purpose is for players to give feedback.

That's all i'm doing, i reinstalled the game.. and these are immediate things i noticed that (as far as i can see, at first glance) haven't been altered in 2 years now...  Basic pillars of a first person shooters design, character control.

Basic things that have actually got worse, i'm just posting as another voice saying 'this is not right and needs to be fixed before release'

Just so you're clear on who you are: 
I don't need your permission or approval to post my opinions, so you can continue to do whatever it is you think you're doing, for whoever's benefit it is intended.

1 hour ago, stilton said:

It's just a strange situation to have something that's apparently 'not supported' essentially break the game and have no way to turn it on/off or configure it from within the game.
A strange implementation indeed, surely it should be 'disabled' altogether..

If there's still any confusion:   i am not frustrated / dissapointed / saddened or any of these 'emotionally' loaded words, nor am i 'complaining' -- i am providing feedback.

I appreciate the leaps that have been made. Personally i was skeptical when they announced the 'new renderer' and the devs have proven my skepticism wrong and indeed succeeded in what they set out to do ...The same with the 'new inventory system'.

Hopefully they are aware of the problems with player controls, where it feels like the game is taking control away from you and it's not a smooth experience. [ Rubberbanding is one of the better descriptor for the 'feeling', because it is reminiscant of playing on an old dialup modem ]

But only a fool would assume so and hope for the best.

At least i can personally say.. I voiced the problems several times,  on one occasion (2015) i was assured by a dev it was something they were looking into...  

But until the problem is fixed, there's nothing gained by sitting back and not voicing the problem. I understand if you've read thread's like this before, i invite you to not reply and do something productive with your time... Because you add nothing of value to this conversation.  You could say the same about what i'm posting.. I would counter that i am another user/customer adding weight to the value of a particular concern.

Finally, as an 'excuse' for my post,  this is posted on my time schedule, not theirs.. I'm sorry if they've done a poll that asked peoples opinions over the last 6 months what the userbases'  opinions were on rubber-banding caused by the nature of their client/server implementation  -- but like I've said before, i'm not getting paid to hang around and partake on their schedule.  

(So, there's no grey area as to where i'm coming from -- I'm certainly not trying to come across as cunty here, but apparently some people think it's wrong of me to post any feedback, or apparently i'm supposed to go do 'research' before voicing my opinion - No.  Nobody has to read my opinion, take it on board, or even care.. But unless you're an employee of BI or a moderator i'll kindly invite you to take your unsolicited opinion of me / my posts and apply it to yourself.  )

I don't need to give any one permission to post, people are free to do as they like. However, people who create topics or post messages which don't contribute to the development are a waste of everyone's time, not only mine or Bohemia's but yours as well. It also doesn't help the community because the people who actually follow the development and are active on the forums will respond negatively on these topics or messages.

The reason why your topic doesn't contribute towards the development is because these problems are going to be fixed as soon as the new player controller and animation system is in place. What you are doing now is giving useless feedback and criticizing for no reason. If your feedback was rather a question if the player controls are going to change and how, you would've gotten a completely different reply from me.

It's good that you want to voice your opinion but if you want to voice your opinion you need to know something about the subject.

Another thing, you are making a topic on a board where everyone can read it and react to it. If we're not allowed to tell you that your topic is useless feedback then nobody would reply and you would be left in the dark with no answers.

• Like 2

Calm it down guys and girls. it's getting far to bitey in here for my liking.

@OP feel free to post, but if a user points you in a direction which can inform you, please try to use it and in the spirit its given.

If *any* user is rude/insulting etc, use the REPORT button. Do not engage with them, it only clutters up threads and makes them useless for others.

L

• Like 2

I stopped reading there when the shit hit the fan.. 

..But Stilton, I assume its been pointed out and all.. have you heard about the new things being added to dayz? Like what the devs are working on?

I think that is what IMT was getting on when he commented.. see, its frustrating for people who frequent here, to read from people who are far from new to this place, things that could easily have been answered with a little bit of research. We see it all the time; Players posting things that are highly irrelevant when you factor in dev notes, and roadmaps. The devs have stated that the player controller is being completely overhauled and redone. Hell, almost everything in this game is on the cusp of being fully overhauled. 

So,my question is.. did you do research and read about all of this stuff? And if you did not, have you done so now that it has been pointed out to you?

Because I feel like if you do.. it will answer all of your questions (that I read at least). 

• Like 3

If you care about DayZ dev you will follow it's development, CLOSELY.

Those of us who have taken the time and energy over the last 5 years to actually follow DayZ are right to be annoyed at ignorant posts.

NEW PLAYER CONTROLLER.

If you only try to play DayZ you will only be sad and angry at how it plays.

If you take the time to follow and contribute to development you will couch your expectations more realistically and be able to have an INFORMED conversation on all topics related to DayZ.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, stilton said:

Yes thanks for mentioning that...

I forgot to say (although my post was long enough)  fov maxed (it only goes to 80 in my settings)  and zooming out the view gave it a more 'natural' feeling that wasn't nauseating..

But the fov should be increased imo; I shouldn't have to zoom out the view ingame to get a view that is 'playable' imo.

My slider in 16:9 maxes out at "74.669".

However, that number doesn't represent the field of view in degrees. The real horizontal field of view at that setting is somewhere over 100°.

Funny how guys like TopeRECTV don't have any problems with this. It is YOUR responsibility to adapt to the game, not the game's responsibility to adapt to you. I like the way the character handles. It's not instantaneous and easy like CoD. It's more realistic.

Besides that, the new player controller is being developed to smooth the game out.

3 hours ago, noobgamer99991 said:

This is why you shouldn't use this forum, community is too toxic. 

The community is not toxic, there is just a learning curve for new members who start a topic to ask a question that doesn't necessarily need a new thread.  Sometimes, it is frustrating to see new users ask to be spoon-fed info that can easily be found, while ignorantly bashing things that are already being addressed.
A small amount of searching goes a long ways, even if you ask in an only somewhat related topic that came up in the search, and quote a higher post user who commented on the thread, so they can see your question and try to answer.  Starting a new topic in general, should be a last resort, or at least well-thought-out.

Topics like this are annoying and unnecessary.  It should be in Troubleshooting, to start with; and part of the post is uninformed and borderline inflammatory; the other is related to his look rotation difficulties arising from a very specific accessory.

I'm sorry to say, that from what I've read in the course of following development, OP's "driving like a tank" issue will only get worse, as the new player controller is said to have increased player inertia--which will make changing momentum much more gradual process. (serpentine running, for instance)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Topics like this are annoying and unnecessary. 

On 10/04/2017 at 3:34 PM, IMT said:

I don't need to give any one permission to post, people are free to do as they like. However .. blah blah blah blah blah.

On 10/04/2017 at 6:07 PM, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Those of us who have taken the time and energy over the last 5 years to actually follow DayZ are right to be annoyed at ignorant posts

I'm not trying to sound edgy or anything, but if replying to these topics is such a burden to you people...
Maybe you shouldn't bother? I mean what do you think you're adding to this other than giving people a low opinion of yourselves / the community and an overwhelming 'smell' of virgin angst?

Just disperse the information you claim to have... Or do something productive with your time, that doesn't involve replying in a cunty manner. You impress nobody talking down to them. (See, i'm doing a fine example here, i bet you love me right?)

Big shout out to the one person flying in the face of convention, with an eyebrow raising name:
"Gews"

Holy shit.. 6000 posts and he's still recognisably a human being, not a hint of condescension in his posts.

Gews..  How have you maintained your human features /  ability to communicate rationally with others in an adult manner despite the fact you've got over 6000 posts and you've clearly spent a lot of time battling with the 'people'  who inhabit the dayz forums?

*Pushes mic into gews face*

Anyway.

This topic has served its purpose because someone actually condensed the information they had and served it to me.  I now know this game is steering away from 'good gameplay' in the service of 'wealism', according to this:

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

OP's "driving like a tank" issue will only get worse, as the new player controller is said to have increased player inertia--which will make changing momentum much more gradual process. (serpentine running, for instance)

WEALISM
...if stiff controls constitutes 'realism' for you, i guess you must be wheelchair bound.

Just to really nail this point home, because a lot of you still seem oblivious to it.
Which is kind of sad when you consider you think you're equipped to debate but you can't understand simple concepts like canvassing for opinion -- really shows the level of intellect:

"Even if an issue, has already been posted about and it's known issue... another person dogpiling on another topic about it, whilst maybe frustrating for you, for some reason?"
serves a purpose in itself...  It helps add  weight to the problem, it shows how many people suffer this issue.

Also,  Maybe a lot of you don't understand english as a first language so i'll forgive your ignorance. But it's ironic in telling a person what they can / can't / should / shouldn't post on a public forum where you are not a moderator.  Not in a comedic sense of irony,  in the 'logical' / 'it makes no sense' / 'never have children, one of you is enough'  sense.

Edited by stilton

No one said it pained them to reply, it pains me to read a repeat topic for the umpteenth time. Replying in snarky fashion can be cathartic.

If you really think you are offering anything new or constructive here when you actually had no idea what you were talking about, and now you're taking the holier than thou approach accusing us of ganging up on you, or being oldfags, you are seriously deluded.

No one told you not to post anything.

Feel free to post redundant post after redundant post, using the forum like a chat room for easily searchable topics on the same thing discussed in detail, ad nauseum.

Or maybe, step back for a second and recognize that the topic of DayZ is 5 years old and almost everything has a thread.

Does it not behoove you as a potential contributor to use the forum search function?

While we "can't tell you what to post as we are not moderators", we are the community, which is what the forum consists of, and if you can't embrace the development side the way you embrace the "game" (see also, barely DayZ), you will be asked in friendly and less than friendly terms to do your research on the topic before trying to contribute.

Now where's my banana holster.

• Like 3

@stiltonBelieve it or not, I was trying to steer this thread back towards a useful discussion.  Your issue that was addressed by Gews was the only genuinely relevant and addressable part of your post, and it honestly belonged in troubleshooting.

I'm not trying to talk down to you, I'm only expressing my opinion on the content, relevance and appropriate placement of your topic.  You'll have to admit that the title of this post sounds a bit bait-ey, and you placed it in general discussion for high visibility.

Gews concisely answered your question about the view scaling (num-), and some others clumsily pointed you in the direction of the status reports dealing with the new player controller.  I feel that you may be missing a large part of the picture relating to your movement concerns

I'm sorry if you find it upsetting, but this game has been on a steady path towards a realistic survival shooter; that doesn't stop it from being competitive, it just adds difficulty. It makes no sense at this point to complain about systems on the verge of replacement, we just have to wait and see what the changes bring.
Some of the implications of this will be the new stamina system, which will limit your maximum run speed over time, proportional to your inventory weight.
Another part of what I understand is to be implemented will be *better* movement physics, including more fluid and combinable animations.
Being able to eat while walking should easily translate to being able to reload while walking.  This might also include reloading magazines more slowly, requiring a continuously looping animation until the magazine is finally full.

I feel that a lot of this sluggishness that you describe, is the result of poor server performance, which will be fixed to a large degree by the detethering from legacy game elements we will see in .63.

Most of the things that you mentioned fall under the umbrella of the last big fixes of the pre-beta engine overhaul.  The client-server improvements cannot be made until the client and server are running the final version of the major tech.
The reason many of these things weren't addressed sooner is because they couldn't be; there were to many interdependent factors to justify the work of making each bit of new work with the old tech individually. It would have been a massive waste of time for an inevitably disposable improvement.

Perhaps it would help in the future if you made your questions more specific and coherent.  And maybe also try reading the status reports, or just searching the status report section for things you are interested in.

• Like 3

Player controller aside, I am a little fearful that DayZ's server performance will always be for the most part bad. The way their server architecture is set up, the server is the master, not the client. Most games, including Arma, are the other way around. If you are playing a game like arma you may be lagging and not know it, at least not right away, but in DayZ you immediately feel the result of lag because your client is catching up with the server, not the other way around. Apparently they made DayZ this way to discourage hacking, but as far as I know hacking is still happening, which really brings the whole thing into question. I do know that in general bullet hit registration is much improved over what it's been, but throwing objects still looks like flip book animation, and I'm legitimately worried that will never change. I was surprised to learn recently that DayZ actually uses a legitimate physics engine, but the server performance is so bad it makes it seem like the physics engine is incomplete, which is not actually the case. DayZ uses a physics engine that works just fine in other games. Maybe someone a little more informed can chime in on this? 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Solopopo said:

Player controller aside, I am a little fearful that DayZ's server performance will always be for the most part bad. The way their server architecture is set up, the server is the master, not the client. Most games, including Arma, are the other way around. If you are playing a game like arma you may be lagging and not know it, at least not right away, but in DayZ you immediately feel the result of lag because your client is catching up with the server, not the other way around. Apparently they made DayZ this way to discourage hacking, but as far as I know hacking is still happening, which really brings the whole thing into question. I do know that in general bullet hit registration is much improved over what it's been, but throwing objects still looks like flip book animation, and I'm legitimately worried that will never change. I was surprised to learn recently that DayZ actually uses a legitimate physics engine, but the server performance is so bad it makes it seem like the physics engine is incomplete, which is not actually the case. DayZ uses a physics engine that works just fine in other games. Maybe someone a little more informed can chime in on this? 

The server is currently handling double instances of physics in most cases, as I understand it.  Once .63 drops, there should be an immediate increase in server performance.
They touched on this subject earlier on in this patch cycle as an explanation for why interactions with infected were so janky; they are using the new controller, while we are still on the old.
Seriously, dumping the old tech should free up lots of resources.  Then we'll see where the improvements need to be made.

• Like 1

How far are we from the optimization passes that will bring us to what resembles 1.0 performance?

.68?

.82?

.99?

Do not try to gauge future performance on current results in Alpha with a 1,000 borked things dragging us into the frame death.

I'm waiting to upgrade my graphics card for when we know what is working most reliably with DayZ 1.0.

What we play now is a fractured platform to test bits that will be tied to a better platform.

^I'm convinced this is lost on 99.99% of the playerbase.

• Like 3

Yeah, well.. some of us who have also been here from the start, are just waiting for the train to arrive at that rosey platform.. sadly not all passengers have the same temperament nor personalities as the man who waits beside him. 

I think that's also lost on people here, especially the ones who don't mind slow trains, I mean.. as long as it arrives at the destination at some point, right?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

Yeah, well.. some of us who have also been here from the start, are just waiting for the train to arrive at that rosey platform.. sadly not all passengers have the same temperament nor personalities as the man who waits beside him. 

I think that's also lost on people here, especially the ones who don't mind slow trains, I mean.. as long as it arrives at the destination at some point, right?

Considering I grew up in a time when games could easily take 5 years to make and well, age brings patience too; yeah I don't mind the slow train if I get my dream game. 

Also, this has been a project especially plagued by unforeseen problems and systemic changes that are difficult to follow at best. These have hampered and staggered progress throughout.

Some it has really sucked but most of it is understandable if you've followed closely and kept an open mind.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

Now where's my banana holster.

Screw the player controller and all all the new jazz Bio! This is the biggest most important feature that we, the community are still waiting on and pining for. Andy needs to answer for this! Whaddya mean it won't get fixed?  ;)  http://archive.is/iqXoZ 

Now in all seriousness @stilton you have to realize the response usually around here is all in how you hold yourself and your posts. I bit my tongue when you first posted but your follow up comments have paved the way. We are all devoted to this journey and emotionally invested at this point. 5+ years as bio said is a long time for us all. I personally do not take kind when misinformed users do what they do best.

No matter how much you sugarcoat things, or word things politely the tone of your post always shines through. Good intention or bad intention it all shows, just like the tone in our voice when we speak to others. Something the old timers have a hard time grasping including myself, is new forum members making unjust comments with bias, starting a thread like the 100's before it, taking silent back stabs and not willing to put the time into making oneself informed. Being drip fed info here and there is fine, but not when some community members just disregard everything that is fact because they don't like the sound of something, or not willing to put in the time we all have.

You do not have to understand everything going on and knowing every single little detail to get a grasp of reality and the whats/whys/hows. Now every respected member who has posted in this very thread, are generally extremely helpful and quite diplomatic majority of the time, as long as you are courteous and open minded. It is all in the tone and the way you compose yourself as to what happens next.

I find a lot of people around here do not know how to take some posts. Not every smirk remark is a direct attack at you personally. Just try and be open minded and willing to learn (read). We all gotta start somewhere, right? Oh btw, being snarky back gets everyone nowhere just like life and threads will be closed quick smart along with a painted target on your face. Next time if you post, keep it cool dude and take no silent jabs thinking no one will pay attention. You only get fed to the wolves doing that.

Oh if you get stuck with some functions and how to work them, feel you have been "attacked" or uncalled for posts directed at you, shoot the mods a pm and report the offender. Lovely bunch of chaps and their always happy to help. They are extremely open minded and if they get grumpy at you, it is for good reason ;)

Now I think this thread should steer in another direction if things are going to get discussed further as I am sure this is getting watched closely.

Good luck and peace out!

This is not an attack fyi, just trying to reiterate what some other members have pointed out. Also the search feature, is not the most used one and probably not the most easiest to work out when you are new, but it is a handy feature to use to not repeat this mistake again. I did the very same thing when I first joined and made a new thread about a work around to get shadowplay to work. Little did I know, I could have posted in a current thread and not let all my time go to waste or Boneys for that matter! I spent hours making that thread just to find it vanished. I thought it got deleted, shot boney a pm to find out and he informed me how to handle things and that it was not deleted but rather moved. Some people just reply bluntly, others make far too long posts like myself just trying to explain something, it is not personal mate.

In the short term, you may just find your dpi on your mouse can exacerbate the "tank feeling". I personally play on 350 dpi with low in game sens and seems fine on the most part. It has weight, not a spin on the dime 360 like others. This is only going to get compounded when the new controller is in though and inertia is added. It will not be like other fps games

Edited by nuggit
damn spoiler white text, always throws me off since the switch!
  • Like 2