Sign in to follow this  
redmantab

Dayz Veteran but not sure best way to meet my friend in game

What do most of you do that want to both start playing dayz on the same day with new characters to meet up?  Just suicide until you are spawn close?  It is so annoying, even as a vet, to meet a buddy and unite in this game.  

Any advice would be appreciated.  Cheers

7 minutes ago, redmantab said:

What do most of you do that want to both start playing dayz on the same day with new characters to meet up?  Just suicide until you are spawn close?  It is so annoying, even as a vet, to meet a buddy and unite in this game.  

Depending on if we're using a TS or not, we'll generally just try to run to each others location. Playing quickly with friends is kind of tough unless you're lucky with spawns.

Just play the game. I can run to Gorka in less than a half hour from any spawn to meet a friend.  I might not find much, and may be on the brink of starvation, but I can do it.

I hope that eventually they will implement a disincentive for suicides that will penalize layers who suicide at the coast with hefty cool down periods.

I'd like to see a cool down timer that would give the player a penalty for suicide within the first half-hour after spawn, that is equal to a half-hour, minus the time survived.  That means if you run around a couple minutes, realize you got the "wrong" spawn and KYS, you will have to wait 28 minutes to respawn.

Just play the game.  If you don't have the time, maybe plan ahead of time and both of you can try to make it to a certain town to meet up on the desired day.  

• Like 5

A mod and a alpha...and we already have veterans? Impressively insignificant OP

Edited by svisketyggeren

9 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Just play the game. I can run to Gorka in less than a half hour from any spawn to meet a friend.  I might not find much, and may be on the brink of starvation, but I can do it.

I hope that eventually they will implement a disincentive for suicides that will penalize layers who suicide at the coast with hefty cool down periods.

I'd like to see a cool down timer that would give the player a penalty for suicide within the first half-hour after spawn, that is equal to a half-hour, minus the time survived.  That means if you run around a couple minutes, realize you got the "wrong" spawn and KYS, you will have to wait 28 minutes to respawn.

Just play the game.  If you don't have the time, maybe plan ahead of time and both of you can try to make it to a certain town to meet up on the desired day.  

Why do you want this? In what way would this make the game better? What's the point in making it harder for friends to play together? I'm not going to "just play the game" when I'm trying to introduce someone to it. I've had people quit before I ever even saw them once. People have lives outside of DayZ. A 30 minute suicide timer would be ludicrous. DayZ is arbitrarily punishing enough. The very last thing it needs is more arbitrary punishment imo.

OP:

When I meet up with people we each start out by identifying our location on the map. We then pick a location half way between us both and head there. A veteran such as yourself shouldn't have much trouble with that. Gorka winds up being a pretty common meeting place. It's pretty easy to navigate your way there from basically every spawn, and being there puts you in a pretty good position to make your way deeper inland without getting lost. It's a pain but it works. Playing with friends will improve your map awareness. You actually need to remember the names of every place you visit, and what they look like, if you mean to communicate where you are with people. If you're having trouble finding your locations, just find the coast and run along it towards each other, one with the coast on the left and the other with the coast on the right. You need to know who is the north guy and who is the south guy. The south guy runs with the coast on the right, and visa versa.  There used to be a way to kill yourself with the rag you spawn with but i'm not sure if it still works. It probably still does. 

Edited by Solopopo

2 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Why do you want this? In what way would this make the game better? What's the point in making it harder for friends to play together? I'm not going to "just play the game" when I'm trying to introduce someone to it. I've had people quit before I ever even saw them once. People have lives outside of DayZ. A 30 minute suicide timer would be ludicrous. DayZ is arbitrarily punishing enough. The very last thing it needs is more arbitrary punishment imo.

OP:

When I meet up with people we each start out by identifying our location on the map. We then pick a location half way between us both and head there. A veteran such as yourself shouldn't have much trouble with that. Gorka winds up being a pretty common meeting place. It's pretty easy to navigate your way there from basically every spawn, and being there puts you in a pretty good position to make your way deeper inland without getting lost. It's a pain but it works. Playing with friends will improve your map awareness. You actually need to remember the names of every place you visit, and what they look like, if you mean to communicate where you are with people. If you're having trouble finding your locations, just find the coast and run along it towards each other, one with the coast on the left and the other with the coast on the right. You need to know who is the north guy and who is the south guy. The south guy runs with the coast on the right, and visa versa.  There used to be a way to kill yourself with the rag you spawn with but i'm not sure if it still works. It probably still does. 

Thanks.  My fiance and I have been doing exactly this.  We run coast on one side for her, other for me, and finally meet.  Just takes an eternity, especially when you are out of college living together with full time jobs and kids.  Thanks man.  The Gorka idea probably is best.  Could see us having some trouble not starving, going hypothermic, etc but it could work.

Thanks man

• Like 1

9 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

lol dude, do you always have some silly need to belittle?  To break others down?  To smere and be snide?  It's laughable at my age to see this type of reply but I'll bite and enjoy balking at your negativity.  Man, I simply was trying to say in the few words allotted in the title of my post, that I've been playing the darned mod for a while and standalone for a couple years.....so I get the game.  Veteran was a word to imply that fact.  That I know the map and game pretty well.  The point is that still, even with full understanding after playing Dayz for way too long, as a working family man with wife/kids it's tiresome to meet up with my gaming buddy wife.  Would love some answer out there that would help.  The other helpful reply from that guy mentioning Gorka seems like that will be our best bet.  

That's it dude.  Lone wolf easy to play Dayz with limited time.  With the Misses...way too much time needed.  Try and smile a bit n chill out.

Edited by redmantab
  • Like 2

Meeting up is not that hard to be honest. It also depends on the situation a bit. Usually when we're geared and we want to meet each other we pick a location which is approximately equal distance. When going there we regularly ask our current location and if needed change the meeting point. This also applies to when we're both fresh spawn but it will take a little longer because of looting. Again, keep each other up-to-date with your location and change the meeting point if needed.

When one is geared and one is a fresh spawn you also pick a location but this time you pick a location which is closer for the fresh spawn so he or she can gear up.

There is nothing really to it, specially if you're a veteran.

By the way, please do not commit suicide to get a spawn close to each other. It is NOT the way the game is played.

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I do agree with this idea, I rarely use suicide to get a better spawn. Usually these are rare situations like the time MadHatter shot me by accident and I didn't have the time to loot up to get back to you guys for my gear. Normally I take the spawn I get, even if it's a spawn as bad as Skalisty.

I think more people should do this because it will make you value your character more. It should be in the back of your head each time you do something risky, that you might have to run back a long way.

10 hours ago, svisketyggeren said:

I pretty much see myself as a DayZ veteran. I know my way around the map without the use of a map, I can pretty much survive anything by myself, I have a lot of hours in-game, I can sustain myself in a firefight or can get away when needed and I know what to do in which situation.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

Think of it like this OP.

How do you meet your friends in real life? Do that.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2017 at 7:52 PM, Solopopo said:

OP:

@redmantab  Don't be like this^^^guy, this^^^ is a guy who plays with noobs, this^^^ is a guy who won't like how the game turns out when it's finished, this^^^isn't a guy who should be advising veteran players.

Just to be fair, I play with new players sometimes too.  I know the struggle of meeting up with someone who lacks basic navigation skills and does not have any memory of the map.  It can be frustrating, and sometimes requires the development of new communication skills to describe the road signs to one another.
That's one of the best parts of this game that you won't find anywhere else, the need for a new player in an unknown land to talk over a "radio" to someone who can try to walk them through it.

If you are playing with someone in the same house as you said, and are indeed a veteran, have her open the game so you can see her location.  Then just run to the correct location, and you can pick up next time you both have time at the same time.  Easy, right?

Use the contour map from Izurvive or DayZ tv to help get a better understanding of the topography.  I wouldn't really consider it cheating or meta because the in-game map is broken; and also, where in the world does not have good maps readily available at this point in history?  Use a good map, and use it often.

Don't kill yourself for a better spawn.  Don't be That Guy.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, emuthreat said:

@redmantab  Don't be like this^^^guy, this^^^ is a guy who plays with noobs, this^^^ is a guy who won't like how the game turns out when it's finished, this^^^isn't a guy who should be advising veteran players.

Just to be fair, I play with new players sometimes too.  I know the struggle of meeting up with someone who lacks basic navigation skills and does not have any memory of the map.  It can be frustrating, and sometimes requires the development of new communication skills to describe the road signs to one another.
That's one of the best parts of this game that you won't find anywhere else, the need for a new player in an unknown land to talk over a "radio" to someone who can try to walk them through it.

If you are playing with someone in the same house as you said, and are indeed a veteran, have her open the game so you can see her location.  Then just run to the correct location, and you can pick up next time you both have time at the same time.  Easy, right?

Use the contour map from Izurvive or DayZ tv to help get a better understanding of the topography.  I wouldn't really consider it cheating or meta because the in-game map is broken; and also, where in the world does not have good maps readily available at this point in history?  Use a good map, and use it often.

Don't kill yourself for a better spawn.  Don't be That Guy.

Okay, wow, the amount of presumption coming from you is just stupid. You don't know anything about how I play. I don't kill myself to get anywhere. I'm not saying I never have (and who the hell can?) but generally I don't. I appreciate what DayZ is supposed to be, but it isn't what it's supposed to be yet, so I'm not going to waste my time pretending it is. A lot of people have come to the same conclusion, which is why the game is dead right now. I think radios are awesome but no one uses them. No one will ever use them. Every squad uses team speak and that's just the truth. You can live in your pretend, idealized, DayZ world if you want to, but I have a life outside this game, and so do the people I play with, and so do the majority of the people who will play this game. You need a reality check. 

Also, what exactly is bad about trying to introduce new players to the game? What exactly is bad about playing with noob players? They are very enthusiastic about the game and that enthusiasm is refreshing. I'm not ashamed of playing with them. I don't quite see what you are getting at. Without people like me the game would be pretty shitty for new players, and new players make up the majority of the people who are actively playing SA right now.

On 4/10/2017 at 1:32 AM, redmantab said:

Thanks.  My fiance and I have been doing exactly this.  We run coast on one side for her, other for me, and finally meet.  Just takes an eternity, especially when you are out of college living together with full time jobs and kids.  Thanks man.  The Gorka idea probably is best.  Could see us having some trouble not starving, going hypothermic, etc but it could work.

Thanks man

No problem. Yeah, it can be a bit of a strain trying to meet up to play when you have responsibilities, but once you do the adventure you'll have is better for it. 

Edited by Solopopo

Establish a small camp in the south-east quadrant and use that as a meeting point. Study the map, pick a spot and go from there.  The more you run to camp from the coast the easier it will get.

The problem with suicide until we meet is that you do not gather experience that way. It used to take me several sessions and hours to get to my camp.  Now I can do that within an hour and I get there with a backpack full of stuff.

@Solopopo  Dude, chill.  I'm sorry that the whimsical tone of my post flew straight over your head.  I put "radio" in quotations as a reference to 3rd party VOIP programs that people use. LOLZ on you for being thick.

Giving somebody advice on how to kill themselves to speed up the game goes against the concept of the game.  When I have a new player that I'm showing around, I wouldn't even consider telling them to KYS for a better spawn; that's just greasy.
It's a tactic I see regularly from people I meet and try to give a chance.  And while I'm healthy with a working gun in Guglovo, they are still hitting F11 to try to get back to Elektro where they heard shots and died twice already.  What's the point to that???
Killing yourself for a "good spawn" ruins the gameplay, and I would never spoil a new player by advocating it.  If someone can't hack it at finding their way around with a coach on TS, sharing screenshots if necessary, then maybe DayZ is just too difficult for them at this time.

I feel for clarity, that I should explain the difference in my usage of the term 'noob', vs 'new player'.  I like new players, it gives me a low stress play session in which I can get the satisfaction of speedily increasing the survival awareness and capabilities of a new player.
Every once in a while, they start off begging for a gun and some ammo, and to show them the way to Berezino or Elektro so they can shoot people.  These are noobs.  I abandon noobs in the woods with no food or water and never talk to them again.

By advocating abusing game mechanics such as suicide spawn shopping, or teaching people pedestrian solutions like following the coast or train tracks, it costs them valuable knowledge of how to successfully play the game.  Give a man a fish, yadda yadda...

As for casting aspersions to people's personal lives, I'd say that is in poor taste at the very least, and generally interpreted as asking for trouble.  There's really just nowhere good to go from there.  We're both on a video game forum because we like video games.  Something about a pot and fragment of a kettle...

So if you don't like my attempt at humorously advising against your advice being underpinned by a suggestion to F11, fine.    Start making jabs personally, that's a bit out of line.  Where your beanz at???

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Solopopo said:

Also, what exactly is bad about trying to introduce new players to the game? What exactly is bad about playing with noob players? They are very enthusiastic about the game and that enthusiasm is refreshing. I'm not ashamed of playing with them. I don't quite see what you are getting at. Without people like me the game would be pretty shitty for new players, and new players make up the majority of the people who are actively playing SA right now.

@emuthreat is probably one of the best guides in Chernarus I had the pleasure of running with as a new player. He's forever picking up strays(new players) and showing them around and even give guided tours around his very impressive camps. 

So I think there may be a misunderstanding at play here.

On 4/8/2017 at 10:13 PM, redmantab said:

My advice would be to use a website/map like https://www.izurvive.com/ . You can create/join a group and then place markers that only the group can see. So you can place markers with your names for your current location and a meetup location/destination. So even if you're not playing at the same time as long as you update where your marker is the other person knows the area that you're at. Their might be a little learning curve on map reading, but they're going to have to learn sometime.

Edited by aurien
  • Like 1