Sign in to follow this  
Rifle Eyez

GPU or CPU?

Not too sure where this needs to go, I thought Troubleshooting but meh.

Simple question, I've got an old machine I'm passing on, and it's overclocked with a i5 760 stable at 4ghz, with a Radeon 7850.

Obviously it needs upgrading, but despite it's age it still runs most titles at decent (not close to max, on say Witcher 3, of course) settings. 1920x1080.

Now, with the new Renderer (and obviously future iterations), which out of CPU or GPU upgrade would directly improve DayZ's performance most now? The plan is to obviously upgrade both, but it's one or the other right now.

Wondering if people have actually had direct experience themselves with this, e.g a bigger boost in performance after a graphics card upgrade, or after the CPU. Or even a substantial improvement with a GPU upgrade as I'm leaning towards that. With the new Renderer things are different from old DayZ/Arma being an obvious CPU hog, and searching usually brings up posts from years ago discussing how CPU reliant it was. And that also means any benchmarks done on Arma aren't really applicable now either, and they're not always 100% anyway. With DayZ being in limbo with the engine and not complete, there's no definitive testing out there, so word of mouth from actual players who have upgraded seems the best way to go.

There's a post just today in the Troubleshooting section with someone complaining they're getting low FPS like sub 20, with a i5 7600 and an ancient Nvidia GeForce GT 630. Which leads me to believe it's not all CPU, as it doesn't ever drop to sub 30 on this rig with a first gen i5 while recording and is usually 45-60 outside of towns/cities/NWAF, and never sub 30 in them.

The thinking is upgrade the GPU now, as the budget is 200-250£, and I can pick up a Radeon 8gb 480 for that, or a 6GB 1060. A CPU upgrade means Mobo, and RAM, and more headaches than just dropping in a GPU. Also, it's gonna cost more with picking up a ''k'' variant to overclock. Unless I can be proven wrong, but I feel I'm looking at more 350-400£ for a CPU upgrade. But if the feeling is overwhelmingly ''the CPU will improve performance more, and the GPU won't really'' or something ridiculous, then waiting and upgrading the CPU first is definitely an option.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just noticed my account is 5 years old, wow...time flies. :)

Edited by Rifle Eyez

Not sure but I feel the CPU is fast enough for now so I guess I would go for an upgraded GPU. I also run an older system myself with an i5 750 @2.67 GHz (no OC) and GTX 650 Ti Boost DCII OC,2GB and have medium settings and still have fps between roughly 25-65. The upgraded GPU can be used in other systems if wanted and at a later date you can upgrade the CPU and even the motherboard so you can use more up to date cpu sockets. Also, the game will most likely still be more optimized in the future and I suspect this will make a strong GPU more important than a CPU, but as said I am not sure about this.

Yeah it's a tough one really.

Like it can still get 60 FPS while recording outside of the big cities, and even then it's playable at like, 30-45. Which isn't so bad, but after years of Arma and DayZ mod I guess anything is better.

I've been reading posts from all over since the new Renderer work and looking at their specs and what FPS they get, but people can't really be super specific about what frames they're getting so it makes it hard. Plus everyone is using different CFG files and so on. The best way is when someone has upgraded and comments on the performance afterwards, but those sorts of posts are pretty rare.

Sometimes people have upgraded GPU and got big gains, and said it's really noticeable, sometimes not. Sometimes the CPU has been the difference, sometimes (and in other games) it really doesn't justify the expense in upgrading the CPU at all. Like you can get the guy posting with the strong i5 7600 and a old GPU, but gets super low FPS. And then people with strong CPUs and med/low tier GPU's, who get (or claim) pretty high FPS.

I find it interesting how we have basically the same CPU, with mine OC'd a full 1.3ghz more, and I think my GPU is slightly better (feel like DayZ prefers Nvidia though) and we still get basically the same exact FPS. I should take mine back to stock and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, I wonder if that means it's my GPU that is the issue? Troubleshooting an Alpha in this way is tough and I really don't wanna start using MSI to monitor the usage of everything over and over again :D

My mind feels like upgrading CPU would have more of an impact somehow, maybe it's because Bohemia, DayZ mod and Arma are on my mind with how insanely CPU reliant they are, but as you said in the future things will change and it's moved on from Arma and R.V. already 

But my heart says 100% upgrade GPU because it's in budget right now, there's much less involved when it comes to installing it, and I would still be happy with the decision to upgrade the GPU even if it got me 60 FPS everywhere and only boosted literally 5-15 FPS in places. What wouldn't be worth it is if it made essentially no difference at all because it's not even fully utilizing the 7850 I already have, or if it just meant I could turn some settings up that I don't care about with the same FPS I had before. Plus upgrading the CPU second means I can wait on Ryzen and see how that performs and if Intel prices change at all, save some more for RAM/Mobo, and still get good FPS in other games where the CPU isn't so much of a burden.

Hard choice.

Edited by Rifle Eyez

5 hours ago, boneboys said:

4ghz is good, (I'm oc'ing a 2500k at 4.2).
GTX660 to GTX1070 doubled + or - my frames.

Also moving from a HDD to SDD resolved most texture popping issues.

Sweet, that's the kind of answer I was hoping for as I was leaning heavily on a GPU upgrade first, so thanks man. With DayZ being so WIP engine wise atm from the ground up it's difficult to find any definitive benchmarks obviously, and Arma doesn't count anymore. Every time I searched on the topic it just found discussion from 2012-2015 before the new Renderer was thing so none of it was relevant to upgrading now.

Anyway, the 660 is about evens with the 7850 from what I can tell, with each card being better at different aspects/games, although I feel the 660/Nvidia would handle DayZ better, no idea why.

So I'm hoping that with a 8GB 480 (in the 1060 range) would give me a decent FPS gain. As I said, I'd be happy to grab a GPU now even if it gave me a solid 60+ FPS more often, even if the CPU upgrade would be a good choice now also. Just less of a headache installing a GPU and also I can save & wait on a CPU upgrade to pick up a decent mobo and RAM too.

And the texture popping issue, yeah a SSD would make sense actually. It's one of those purchases I've always thought about and seen recommended for Arma/DayZ but never picked one up, might have a look when I get a GPU. I don't know if you saw my video or not but I posted it today and the popping is just insane. I can zoom in on a tree, zoom in a bit more, pop. Bit more, pop, Out again a bit, pop's back. And when it's an entire forest doing it, it's a nightmare.