Sign in to follow this  
cristiano

Lockable objects.

Are there any plans to put lockable objects, chests, tents, safes, or boxes?
For anyone who plays Role Play or anyone who wants to create a safe place, this is essential.

Edited by cristiano

Well, absolutely safe is off the table, but things like padlocks and booby traps aren't.  Keep in mind that anyone with a lockpick, tools, or a gun willing to waste a round or two will probably get into your stuff anyway.  And it makes sense for when we're able to do more to barricade a building other than 'lock the doors'.

• Like 1

Locked doors should be in the game but they should be wooden and destroyable by players who have obtained the right tools to do so. This would promote wars between the high loot players, not to menton the fresh-spawns and characters with low loot obviously wouldn't be able to destroy the locked doors unless they have the neccessary equipement to do so, as stated above.

Nothing would stop someone to get a lock on a door and someone with the right tools to be able to destroy it. (Wooden/Steel)

I'm all in for stashes and them doors as long as they are destroyable.

3 minutes ago, Benavides said:

Locked doors should be in the game but they should be wooden and destroyable by players who have obtained the right tools to do so. This would promote wars between the high loot players, not to menton the fresh-spawns and characters with low loot obviously wouldn't be able to destroy the locked doors unless they have the neccessary equipement to do so, as stated above.

Nothing would stop someone to get a lock on a door and someone with the right tools to be able to destroy it. (Wooden/Steel)

I'm all in for stashes and them doors as long as they are destroyable.

Lockpicks are in game now you can lock doors with them now and unlock them also. 

• Like 3

^ What he said.  We already can lock/unlock doors with lock picks.  We can also shoot locked doors open or smash them open with sledgehammers.

• Like 2

Yeah but it would be nice if you could reinforce the door and make it a steel one, so randomers wouldn't be able to break in with a sledge-hammer or a gun, wouldn't it? 

You could still open it with a lock-pick though.

Speaking from an architectural background, just replacing a wooden door with a steel one wouldn't cut it.  Might take a little longer but you'll break the wooden frame before the steel door gives out, and there's still the issue of shooting out the lock, so all you did is tell 'randomers' 'I have something here. Rob me."

• Like 3

Spending time to find a rare lockpick, to then lock a door and then have my house broken into by people who don't need to spend a lot of time to find a sledgehammer is unfair towards the players who spend a lot of time to find proper gear and the lockpick.

Players with higher gear should have advantage over players with low-level gear, who either possess a gun or a sledgehammer.

Having a steel door which can only be opened with a lock-pick would be balanced. (Or even with two or three full magazines of a rifle)

However, thats my own opinion.

Edited by Benavides

19 hours ago, JBURNS489 said:

There will never be anything in game that is completely safe, according to the Devs. But, they are planning on us being able to bury a hidden stash of gear. 

https://trello.com/c/fWZ04OtE/80-hidden-stash

Yes, the idea is perfect.
As well as the construction of walls and barrels.
I just think that breaking them should not be an easy task, and having to demand a lot of work from the thief.
But I repeat my question, WHEN is this at stake? Anybody know? 0.62, 0.63? When?

21 hours ago, cristiano said:

Are there any plans to put lockable objects, chests, tents, safes, or boxes?
For anyone who plays Role Play or anyone who wants to create a safe place, this is essential.

Not trying to be a jerk but you haven't repeated your question. You never asked when these features would be implemented but only if there were plans for them to be made. As for when, your guess is as good as mine. The only confirmed information I have heard about upcoming patches is that .62 will be strictly an audio/visual overhaul, and .63 is beta. I dont know what features will be released with beta as they haven't said, nor have they given an estimated date or timeline. Welcome to the waiting game with everyone else :)

Edited by JBURNS489

17 hours ago, Benavides said:

Locked doors should be in the game but they should be wooden and destroyable by players who have obtained the right tools to do so.

Again, showing that "research" is not important at all.. :)

29 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Good riddance.

Building a door than locking an existing one is a different thing pal.

Edited by Benavides

4 minutes ago, Benavides said:

Building a door than locking an existing one is a different thing pal.

I'm not trying to be rude.. its just..  really

I quoted you saying "there should be locked doors in game"..

Did I not? Your response is troubling. It shows a total lack of  ...ah, fuck it.. carry on.

Good Riddance is right.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

I'm not trying to be rude.. its just..  really

I quoted you saying "there should be locked doors in game"..

Did I not? Your response is troubling. It shows a total lack of  ...ah, fuck it.. carry on.

Good Riddance is right.

I didn't word my sentence correctly,, expect a written apology by tommorow.

And it indeed is right!

• Like 1

Just now, Benavides said:

expect a written apology by tommorow.

See, now I like you a lot more.. that shit is funny man. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IkaikaKekai said:

so all you did is tell 'randomers' 'I have something here. Rob me."

I have a history working in both areas IRL, and its this exact premise I constantly try to pass on to others:

Placing an alarm company sign in your front yard, or installing some common 3rd party PC security software both do the same thing: They say, "I have something you want. Right here. Come get it."

To those that do things like that, for essentially, a living. The best security you can ever have, is one that does not come right out and say, "I am here." 

Same in dayz. Locking doors only lets me know, I need to get in there. So I do.. eventually. No matter what. :)

• Like 1

Okay, disagreement aside.
I understand all preferences. I personally prefer indestructible bases, or at least with great difficulty to be broken into, if not so, there will be no interest in wasting time building a safe place, if any tool, found everywhere, can open it.
Sorry if I was not correct in my question, in fact beyond wanting to know if they would have the items locked, I wanted to know a forecast. But as I know this does not happen in Dayz, it's to wait.
Thank you all.

I would like it if people couldn't bust through any locked door by whacking it a couple times. Those solid steel prison island cell doors should be completely impassable when locked. You used to be able to trap folks in churches but that doesn't work anymore.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, -Gews- said:

I would like it if people couldn't bust through any locked door by whacking it a couple times. Those solid steel prison island cell doors should be completely impassable when locked. You used to be able to trap folks in churches but that doesn't work anymore.

That is a good point.  Doors having different 'health', a cheap door on a shed should go down in one or two whacks, while a church or other heavy door should take a while to take down with brute force.

On 4/4/2017 at 10:37 AM, Irish. said:

Funny!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, IkaikaKekai said:

That is a good point.  Doors having different 'health', a cheap door on a shed should go down in one or two whacks, while a church or other heavy door should take a while to take down with brute force.

I think that really should depend on what you are hitting it with and the type of door. Obviously you have never tried to break down a door ;-) It is a bit harder than you think and really it comes down to the frame. In most cases the frame of the door is what gives and not the door itself. However, I agree that it should be destructible but there should be variations depending on door and weapon. That being said, lock picks can open most doors/locks so it would be cool to see something more with that.

Edited by ShallowTech
  • Like 1

Something as simple as jamming a sledgehammer handle underneath the knob in an inward swinging door can also greatly increase the difficulty in forcing the door open.  I'd like to see a few different options for barricading or bracing doors, eventually.

The quality of the structure and door should obviously impact the ability to break through it.

That said, 2 hits, or 20, or even 200, it will be broken into.  Magic safes and buildings should be for mods, not for hardcore vanilla.  Traps should definitely be supported though.  Traps should not be some preset location where a smart player could look into a building from another window to determine if it is safe.  That fancy advanced placement should be used with shotgun tripwires and such to allow creative challenges.

I'm also still a fan of removing a plank in any house to make a stash that doesn't have a change in texture for the removable plank.   I'd be happy to bury a single gun with mag under a bed in any of the smaller houses with wooden floors.  If not added to vanilla, this will be one of my mods.  Oh, and as for hackers, that stash should not show up locally in client unless you're practically on top of it.