Sign in to follow this  
Spidey (DayZ)

Flickering textures, bought new PC, no change

So, yeah, title says it all. Been playing dayz with this hell of an uncomfortable thing literally since it came out. I bought a new computer recently, few months ago, haven't played since then, now I tried and yep, it's there again. However now the flickering is literally unbearable - for example, when looking at something in the distance with binoculars or a scope,  I can barely make out what it is due to the flickering. The problem is clearly visible even when merely zooming in with right mouse button.

Does anyone have at least a vague idea how to fix this? I mean, even a little bit of improvement would be great, since the game is, well, I can't say unplayable because FPS only rarely drops below 30, but it's annoying as hell and yeah, it looks like the game is having a seizure. 

I have tried playing around with the settings, both in the game and through the .cfg files, but nothing makes any difference.

Also, when I play the game through the 32bit client, it's ... well, framerate goes down and it's very unstable, always crashes, or I have these moments of 30 seconds up to 3 minutes, when I literally have 1 fps, then it "jumps" back to normal. I haven't had the chance to notice if the flickering is present in the 32bit version, since it's literally unplayable for me.

I have:

Intel i3 6300  skylake

8GB DDR4 ram

GeForxe 750ti 2GB

Windows 10 ultimate

If someone can at least point me to a website or anything, I'll be extremely grateful. This is one of the very rare cases where even exhausting in-depth google search doesn't yield any results - or  nobody seems to have any idea how to fix this.

Delete.

Re-install.

*Im not joking. You have tried everything, right? Stop dicking around and reinstall the whole game, verify game file integrity, check to ensure that your game settings are at default now (will prove you have properly deleted and reinstalled the entire game). If still a problem.. well, you're screwed I guess. I have flickering too, but not to the point where the game is "unplayable", in any way. Good luck. 

Do you have a video of whats happening? I know you said you tried all of the settings, but it sounds like you are using too much AA or alpha to coverage. If you have played with all the AA settings in game, go to your nvidia control panel and mess with the 3d settings. I am pretty certain it has something to do with AA. Make sure transparent antialiasing is turned off, and leave all the other AA options at either off or application controlled

Edited by JBURNS489

7 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Delete.

Re-install.

*Im not joking. You have tried everything, right? Stop dicking around and reinstall the whole game, verify game file integrity, check to ensure that your game settings are at default now (will prove you have properly deleted and reinstalled the entire game). If still a problem.. well, you're screwed I guess. I have flickering too, but not to the point where the game is "unplayable", in any way. Good luck. 

He said he bought an entirely new PC and the problem persisted, so I would assume he already re installed it on his newer machine.

Before you start over and troubleshoot again I would delete the dayz config so it can remake the default.  

2 hours ago, atomquark said:

Before you start over and troubleshoot again I would delete the dayz config so it can remake the default.  

This was what I was getting at.. only this makes it easier on him, but harder for me to tell him how.

I am lazy sometimes. :|

Okay, many many thanks to everyone for the answers. I'm now going to try to play around with the nvidia 3d settings etc. If nothing will work, I'll just reinstall the game to have it clean and see if it still happens. There is a possibility that I screwed up some settings in one way or another, as I haven't noticed this until I got binoculars (and they're pretty rare and I suck at the game, so I just die everytime before I get such a thing xD) - it was there before as well, but I was too lazy to solve it and it didn't affect me THAT much. I mean, you can live with this... until you look at a city through the binoculars/scope. Then it's literally nihilist christmas with black lights everywhere lol

Anyway, I'll try everything you mentioned and will report back soon. Thanks again!

TBH I thought this was just an issue from the game. Never thought it would be my video settings or anything.

For me, even just moving the camera changes the textures of trees 100m+ away, which results in a little flickering effect. If I look through binos or a scope more than 400m away this happens for the slightest movement. Sometimes it's even a light gradient on the wall of houses etc. Maybe I will get some screens when I get home, but as I said, I thought this was a normal problem with the rendering engine. The texture swap happens like every single meter you walk or as mentioned even by just moving the camera from left to right.

Exactly. And I reinstalled the game and tried all the other stuff, nothing worked.

Any other ideas? :'(

Do you have a video of what you're talking about regarding the flickering? There is a slight flickering effect like Havrin said when the textures render in and also when they pop to high res. There is also an issue with tree stumps flickering that I have noticed recently from a distance. I don't personally get flickering on the ground textures as I run along. The flickering effect that Havrin is referring to is very slight and not really noticeable unless you are looking for it though. If that is what you're talking about, then it is indeed just the way the game renders. A video of what you are seeing and talking about would help greatly.

I've been doing some research.

Maxing out your object settings seems to help, yet you suffer fps hits when you do that.

It is an issue with how dayz renders the graphics at distance. The old renderer suffered from it greatly, but many people saw improvements with the new renderer. However some people still have this issue, including me. 

My issue is very small, and I dont notice unless I pay close attention (I have probably simply got used to it by now). I have very similar PC specs as you. I have noticed the issues does not transfer over to shadowplay, so I cannot record it in "action".

I feel like if you max out your object settings, then mess with the view distance to find your optimum settings, it may improve but will probably be there for a while, if not forever. 

This is exactly what I am talking about. 100% exactly the same thing, just the game is different (that's dayz MOD, i'm playing standalone, whatever-same issue, looks the same, acts the same).

Don't forget also that my flickering is at least 100% worse than that on the video. This guy gets only small parts of buildings - like the rims or maybe doors. I usually get half or more of the building flickering like this. And not even talking about trees. Ground is always fine, no matter the distance.

How does the viewdistance work? The smaller it is, the smaller the distance I will spot players? Or does it apply to the buildings only?

And don't forget that the farther the object/building/whatever is, the worse it gets. When I'm like 700meters from the "target", you know the hotel building with big windows and 4-5 floors? Well, that one, at that distance is literally blinking black/normal. The ENTIRE building. On other buildings, its just parts - usually like on the video = borders of the textures especially.

It's really annoying and when simply staying still, it makes it look as if the entire city was moving, and then it's much much harder to spot players in such amounts of noise. So if it was only annoying, i'm fine with that, but it's straight out disatvantageous.

1 hour ago, Spidey (DayZ) said:

It's really annoying and when simply staying still, it makes it look as if the entire city was moving, and then it's much much harder to spot players in such amounts of noise. So if it was only annoying, i'm fine with that, but it's straight out disatvantageous.

Please provide video of some kind showing the effects you're referring to. It sounds like you're vastly over-blowing the amount of flickering you are actually getting. We all get some texture flickering, but for the most part the game is quite playable despite it.

Turn your objects and textures settings down in DayZ graphics (or turn them up), and look into the texture settings of your graphics card user interface.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Seems a popular issue, but with no real definitive way to fix it. With tons of variants too, like flickering buildings at long distance, etc. I know it's been an issue plaguing Arma/DayZ for a while, I mean I joined here in 2012 and one of my posts were about similar topic, and I know everything is WIP right now.

Anyway, the issue I have is where textures even 10-20m away will be clearly low, then normal, then low, which obviously makes it a nightmare in a game where spotting any small movement can make the difference. From a distance zooming with alt look, texture changes. Zoom out, texture changes back. Zoom in, you get the idea. Up close or far away doesn't really seem to make a difference, but in my amateur assessment I dunno why trees I'm 20m from need to constantly change and can't just stay how they are. Trees, bushes, rocks, buildings, signs, sometimes the fronts of whole buildings will be solid just a dozen metres away and as I get close the correct texture pops in. Guess it's a LOD issue.

Now, I'd be happy if I could just force everything on just low, or normal, or high - and it just stayed that way.

Anyone else experience it/know of a fix to reduce it? I've tried messing with the settings on High, Normal, Low, V.Low, no change.

Merged Topics because...

10 hours ago, Rifle Eyez said:

Seems a popular issue,

23 minutes ago, boneboys said:

Merged Topics because...

Thanks, I actually have a video of this I was gonna add to my original thread.

Also occurs to stuff not a couple 100m's away, even when I'm less than 50m away it happens. Happens with basically any texture too, trees, grass, bushes, rocks, signs, anything so ATOC or whatever doesn't change anything. Also tried it with different ATOC settings and it's a similar thing, but that opens a new problem as some cause the ever-present white dots AA problem so I usually don't use it. Tried changing Texture Detail/Filtering too, and also my View/Object settings in the CFG, on that video (and normally) it's 1200 for both.

Edited by Rifle Eyez

Kinda wanna dig this up because I got the chance to record a video today.

I used PSO Scope as well as binos. I think it's clear to see. The texture swaps even happen when I am not using a scope, simple running and turning as well as zooming with the right MB changes the textures really often. It's kinda annoying.

Also here are my video-settings, maybe changing these helps?:

a0iT1uZ.jpg