Sign in to follow this  
Benavides

DayZ Standalone and Mods/Maps

I thought I'd share my thoughts on this with the rest of the community. (If this was posted in the wrong section, feel free to move it)

First of all, I've been a huge fan of DayZ since 2011 and I have countless of hours on it. The game kept me up playing for hours with friends, etcetera etcetera.

However, the vanilla mod got repetitive after a while but there were plenty of mods and other maps laying around, such as Breaking Point, Epoch, Taviana, Namalsk, Sahrani etcetera. 

The amount of mods and maps that were around allowed the players to switch to other mods and even back to vanilla when they got bored.

But with DayZ Standalone, thats not the case nowadays. I understand the development has been slow, but I appreciate that the team is still actually working on the game.

It got repetitive due to the same map and features.

It has been four years, I bought Standalone the day it came out. I believe its time for the team to make modding accessible and allow the existing modding teams to bring mods Arma 2 DayZ Mod and Arma 3 currently have to this game aswell.

Not only this will get players who have abandoned the game back to it, but the community (atleast myself and others who appreciate mods) cut the developmeant team some slack, so you can work without pressure.

I don't understand why other maps and mods haven't been introduced yet, but I really hope someone from the team could shed some light into this case to players like myself.

I typed this on my phone so excuse the errors that might have been made above.

Thanks.

Edited by Benavides

To open up for modding they need the foundation and tools for modding to be complete.

It's not a switch to flip with modding on/off.

It will come though and you're not alone in looking forward to and/or dreading what will come from it :)

• Like 1

I don't really want to see mods until DayZ hits 1.0, but I'm super keen on seeing new maps. I hope the devs release mapping tools soon - maybe with an early version of the beta.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gobbokirk said:

To open up for modding they need the foundation and tools for modding to be complete.

It's not a switch to flip with modding on/off.

It will come though and you're not alone in looking forward to and/or dreading what will come from it :)

Yeah I'm aware they can't do that overnight, but it'd be nice if they could assign a small team to work on it, part time to make it happen, while still developing the game.

My understanding is that Modding will be allowed sometime in early Beta (which should be Soon™).  That's according to the old and now outdated roadmap however, I would think other than being behind schedule with the old map they're still more or less sticking to it.  They're getting close to climbing over the final obstacles before they announce Beta.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benavides said:

Yeah I'm aware they can't do that overnight, but it'd be nice if they could assign a small team to work on it, part time to make it happen, while still developing the game.

You dont understand.

They have a lot to finish, before they could ever approach what you're asking for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Benavides said:

The modders would be pulling their hair out because anything they do will be broken by development.. it should all fall into place once the foundations are there for it. 

• Like 2

The version of DayZ Mod was constantly receiving updates when there were already mods out, modders never had a problem with this as they'd just fix the problems that were created by the update.

I completely understand that any kind of update can cause issues on the modder's side, but if they care about the community that plays their mod, they'd work to overcome the problem, otherwise people would just abandon their now broken mod.

A game like this is never "finished". The development team is going to update it even when its finished if the community wants more features, if they personally want to add something they came up with, etcetera.

So with your current logic, there can never be any mods for Standalone. I am more than sure it wouldn't hurt the development team and the progress of the development as a whole if they would part-time work to make modding accessible to modders.

Edited by Benavides

Because the foundations for DayZ mod were there, it was Arma2.  Right now they're still doing changes to the engine on DayZ.  There's a difference between 'I need to update my mod that adds Ferraris because they changed vehicle values slightly' and "I need to completely rewrite my mod that lets players play guitar because the animation system was completely changed."

Trying to think of some other way to explain it.  I'll try guns.

Springfield: "Hey, I made some simple modifications that will fix the problems with the M14!

US Military: "That's nice, we're using M16s now and tossing out all the M14s."

Springfield: "Fuck..."

9 hours ago, IkaikaKekai said:

Because the foundations for DayZ mod were there, it was Arma2.  Right now they're still doing changes to the engine on DayZ.  There's a difference between 'I need to update my mod that adds Ferraris because they changed vehicle values slightly' and "I need to completely rewrite my mod that lets players play guitar because the animation system was completely changed."

Trying to think of some other way to explain it.  I'll try guns.

Springfield: "Hey, I made some simple modifications that will fix the problems with the M14!

US Military: "That's nice, we're using M16s now and tossing out all the M14s."

Springfield: "Fuck..."

I'm not going against the point that has been raised, in regards of the certan mod being broken due to a possible update which conflicts with the features. My point is that modders will just go on and fix the bug, even if it takes time, they would be aware of the risks anyway.

What are your thoughts on other maps without any other extra features that might conflict with the update?

Hello there

As someone who is currently on (and has been involved) with mod teams, let me assure you  not everything is easily *fixable* by modders.

indeed, some "fixes" can cause more issues or are simply bodges that a commercial dev couldnt get past QA.

Modders are capable of great things, but although to the end user, opening up modding now *seems* like a good idea, in actual fact it really isnt no matter how illogical it may seem to you.

Im excited for modding, but correctly done.

rgds

LoK

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, OrLoK said:

Hello there

As someone who is currently on (and has been involved) with mod teams, let me assure you  not everything is easily *fixable* by modders.

indeed, some "fixes" can cause more issues or are simply bodges that a commercial dev couldnt get past QA.

Modders are capable of great things, but although to the end user, opening up modding now *seems* like a good idea, in actual fact it really isnt no matter how illogical it may seem to you.

Im excited for modding, but correctly done.

rgds

LoK

Even though I still stand to what I've said above, thanks for the quick answer.

What about importing maps, such as Namalsk and Taviana? Its been four years, without any mods or a new map.

In regards of just adding the option for modders to work on a new map, or work on importing a new map themselves.

Edited by Benavides

1 hour ago, Benavides said:

Even though I still stand to what I've said above, thanks for the quick answer.

What about importing maps, such as Namalsk and Taviana? Its been four years, without any mods or a new map.

In regards of just adding the option for modders to work on a new map, or work on importing a new map themselves.

Dayz just pushed 3 years in December since going live to the public. Four years with the mod, yeah.

Now players like yourself really need to go and do some research about what is dayz, the why/when/how and all the other fancy bizz to come instead of creating such threads like these flogged over and over.

You said in an earlier post if the devs could chime in, shed some light on your wants. You don't need an explanation from them, the community or even myself. You just need to grasp some concepts here.

This thread is more about your wants as a bored dayz player in my eyes. You did not have real questions to discuss in your OP but rather aired your thoughts on why we should get tools now and porting old maps that should take crucial dev time away from the main focus at hand with no real reason as to why. Others have pointed out already that it's not ready for modding support. The workload on modders is irrelevant at this stage of development.

Dayz has been running on two very different builds, public & internal. We, the community have always known and ' played' the ol frankenstein public dayz merged with new bits here & old bits there, slowly upgrading modules & features whilst removing the old bits and scripts this entire time. Kept playable only by the fact, we the public need something half stable to play. This will be a thing of the past soon when everything moves towards being unified into one build merged with all new modules, engine changes and old remnants removed. It literally will change dayz and the way everything gets handled here on out, not just for us but the devs and also prospective modders.

You may not like what you hear but it doesn't change the facts. 

If you would like to look into making maps for dayz you can get a leg up and start using BI tools with some other 3rd party programs like blender and watch how dayz and other BI titles do it. I doubt that much will change there. You could start designing and making your own terrain, ready for the nice new engine when the time allows. Not sure on how SQF/scripting side will work as it's all mostly changed now. 

Somehow my gut tells me you wouldn't bother and you would prefer to play some other spice of dayz instead? I will say though, I look forward to getting my hands dirty, I have dreams for the most hardcore experience you will ever find "Evil Grin"

If you got this far kudos. You will be delighted to know the dude Sumrak who made Namalsk is working with/along side BI to test. SR found here https://dayz.com/blog/status-report-3-mar-15 Please read the paragraph Hicks wrote carefully.

Edited by nuggit
  • Like 1

Hello there

as Nuggit points out more eloquently than I, this is more about your perspective than the devs.

I realise you *want* mods, but it's simply not going to happen...yet.

Same with maps.

These things *will* come.

Patience is key.

rgds

LoK

• Like 2

"Mods" have been in all along, in the form of SQF and now in the form of EnfusionScript. But as long as the players don't have the server files, documentation and information, we can't do much.

Those last two are already there as well as some examples of scripts, good luck finding 'em. :)

Edited by IMT

Thanks for your answer Nuggit, I have seen that Sumrak has already been developing Namalsk, I saw that two years ago anyway, I probably forgot about it. Also, doing my "research" when by the official timeline of the game developers, we were now supposed to be on 1.0, is absolutely pointless.

Also, I created this thread to see the thoughts of the players in regards of this. Points have been made, in regards of why modding and maps at this point is not possible from a technical prespective, which I do not disagree with.

However, it has been almost four years Lok, I am still patient (which also has its limits) ever since this came out, but the timeline that the developers made was supposed to be out of early access in 2015 however, this is not something I want to go in-depth, in this thread, as there will be arguements and I'm sure about it. 

As mentioned two years ago: "The road to supporting a proper ecosystem on Steam Workshop will take time – but our goal is to have a strong set of tools, documentation, and examples by the time DayZ hits 1.0 and leaves Early Access." I hope this promise is actually kept and is not delayed just like the development has (where Im sure that the development team probably stumbled upon problems that made their progress slower) otherwise, it'll be the last straw for many players like myself.

You can lock this or keep this open for further discussion, my concerns have been answered and it wouldn't make sense if I bring back an old discussion which would derail the thread anyway, in regards of the development. I'm not looking for arguments by the way, I'm just putting down the facts in a civil way.

Catch you all in Chernarus.

Edited by Benavides

25 minutes ago, Benavides said:

-snip-

Research would have saved you every question you have asked or proposed. (did you even ask any?) 

See, initially Dean and BI did not think DayZ had much left in its legs as far as sales go.. they were wrong. Grossly wrong. 

DayZ made so much money initially, it would have been 1,000 times more wrong for them to continue to just slightly polish the game and release it (which was their initial plan). Instead they did the right thing, they took the time to make it the best IP they could. While also brightening the future for BI games and IP's (since they are aiming for the console market* as well as PC, *a whole new world for them).

Edited by lrishjake
derped it.
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Research would have saved you every question you have asked or proposed. (did you even ask any?) 

See, initially Dean and BI did not think DayZ had much left in its legs as far as sales go.. they were wrong. Grossly wrong. 

DayZ made so much money initially, it would have been 1,000 times more wrong for them to continue to just slightly polish the game and release it (which was their initial plan). Instead they did the right thing, they took the time to make it the best IP they could. While also brightening the future for BI games and IP's (since they are aiming for the console market* as well as PC, *a whole new world for them).

I don't need to do research when I've kept myself up to date throughout all these years. Instead, I posted a topic in the "general discussion" section to discuss it with other players. 

The part about money and them doing the right thing in your post triggers several questions which I'd rather not ask, as I don't want to cause arguements, as I've mentioned before. But you probably know already what I'd ask as I'm not the first player to come on the forums and go on a small "rant".

Thanks.

Hello there

Well, this is the issue. You're wanting to rant but are not accepting the facts as presented to you.

You say you are informed, but clearly you are not as highlighted by your use of the old timetable  trope and are not acceptant that it changed to enhance the scope of the game which benefits us all.

Because of this and as you are admittedly ranting, I shall now close this as I'd rather we had debate and discussion not an immoveable rant.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 4