Sign in to follow this  
Rekurv

Fire burn time

I find the campfires to burn out way too fast. Although i enjoy PVP, surviving out in the atmospheric woods is what draws me to this game. Having a campfire going in the  background while i craft stuff or wait for a friend to arrive dramatically helps the emersion of this game. Currently a couple stacks of big logs burns out in a matter of moments. Its enough to cook up a piece of chicken, but hopefully fires could burn a bit longer. I'm not sure why they burn so quick but im guessing it has something to do with server lag or balancing for drying clothes? dunno...anyways...that was my 2 cents on fires...

PS. Sorry if this topic has been addressed, i did a search on fires but didn't find anything.

PPS. The glowing/ lighting effect of fires is awesome . Nice work devs !

Are you sure you are talking about big logs and not about sticks? Wooden sticks don't lost long which makes sense but firewood does burn a lot longer. Of course I'm not ruling out that there might be a bug with fireplaces at the moment since I haven't lit one in a while.

The two different items:
Wooden stick: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Wooden_Stick
Firewood: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Firewood

• Like 1

Yeh I'm using the big logs that i chop down from trees, not the sticks. They seem to stack in groups of 5, with 3 burning just in time for a piece of chicken to be cooked. When i put in another couple stacks of logs, it didnt seem to increase the burn time at all, yet ruined all 3 stacks. When the fire goes out, there is an option to ' blow air onto fire' or something but it always says 'temperature too cold'. Even if this blow air mechanic worked, it still feels like the fireplace burns way too fast ):

I did end up with the same conclusion last time I was on EXP.
Though I didn't time anything but felt a lot faster than it used to be, could be worth getting out the stop watch to do some testing on I guess.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, REKURV said:

Yeh I'm using the big logs that i chop down from trees, not the sticks. They seem to stack in groups of 5, with 3 burning just in time for a piece of chicken to be cooked. When i put in another couple stacks of logs, it didnt seem to increase the burn time at all, yet ruined all 3 stacks. When the fire goes out, there is an option to ' blow air onto fire' or something but it always says 'temperature too cold'. Even if this blow air mechanic worked, it still feels like the fireplace burns way too fast ):

You're putting them in the wrong spot. Hover over the fireplace and choose "Add as attachment" or drop them in the dashed bordered box.

4 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

I did end up with the same conclusion last time I was on EXP.
Though I didn't time anything but felt a lot faster than it used to be, could be worth getting out the stop watch to do some testing on I guess.

Are you sure as well that you did everything right? It wouldn't make sense if they would burn so fast.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

Nope definitely not sure :)
Just remember it being puzzling, so I'll have to jump back again to be sure or if it was just my memory playing tricks on me.

Would it even light if you put it them in the wrong spot though?

• Like 1

Ahh yes you are correct...I was putting the stacks in the spots above the fire, not adding as attachment! Derp !  Thanks so much ! Now I can hang out by the fire and wait for the bandits to come ..thanks for thehelp man, much appreciated!

17 minutes ago, Gobbokirk said:

Nope definitely not sure :)
Just remember it being puzzling, so I'll have to jump back again to be sure or if it was just my memory playing tricks on me.

Would it even light if you put it them in the wrong spot though?

Yes because you would have at least one log or stick. If you don't the fireplace will be destroyed/disassembled.

10 minutes ago, REKURV said:

Ahh yes you are correct...I was putting the stacks in the spots above the fire, not adding as attachment! Derp !  Thanks so much ! Now I can hang out by the fire and wait for the bandits to come ..thanks for thehelp man, much appreciated!

No problem, still it could be changed or bugged so let us know the outcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IMT said:

Yes because you would have at least one log or stick. If you don't the fireplace will be destroyed/disassembled.

No problem, still it could be changed or bugged so let us know the outcome.

No its fine. If placed correctly they take much longer to burn, and burn 1 log at a time. I didn't time it, but its long enough to get some of that emersion going. As for why they get ruined in the top slots i think it may be because they are not actually lighting...it is the kindling (fireplace) that lights and burns out quickly, and the logs in the above slots are counted as a 'food' or something, hence getting ruined if u leave them on the fire. Either way thanks again ! so happy to have fire again...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REKURV said:

No its fine. If placed correctly they take much longer to burn, and burn 1 log at a time. I didn't time it, but its long enough to get some of that emersion going. As for why they get ruined in the top slots i think it may be because they are not actually lighting...it is the kindling (fireplace) that lights and burns out quickly, and the logs in the above slots are counted as a 'food' or something, hence getting ruined if u leave them on the fire. Either way thanks again ! so happy to have fire again...

What the function is of the inventory of the fireplace beats me. I always use it as a trash can so I can despawn trash like paper, etc. easier. I wouldn't put food in there either because it will get ruined as well.

• Like 1