Gosintary

Food & drink Fix

Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should hunger/thirst times be exteneded?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should food/water be more common

• Yes
    • No

Ok,

Food and Water are a must for any survival game(or if your Minecraft just food but fuk MC)

However In DayZ SA, food and water are TOO DAMN RARE, and you become hungry/thirsty

I think DayZ needs food & water to be more common, and I needs to take longer than 5 minutes to become hungry/thirsty

• Like 1

I have zero problems getting energized and hydrated - while I do agree it should probably take longer to get hungry/thirsty

You do know about apple trees right?

Edited by tiadashi
  • Like 1

Dear OP, please take some time to read about the last 5 years of DayZ.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Too rare? You mean too common!

• Like 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh..... you were serious?

laughing-gifs-jonah-jameson.gif

No. The game will never be as it should be if food remains as common as it already is, water is as easy to access as it already is, or hunger/thirst mechanics get made easier.

NOPE

Git Guud.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:16 PM, tiadashi said:

I have zero problems getting energized and hydrated - while I do agree it should probably take longer to get hungry/thirsty

You do know about apple trees right?

I did not know about apple trees, thanks

On 3/27/2017 at 0:25 AM, IMT said:

Too rare? You mean too common!

I starve or lack water to the point of death every single time I play. Am I doing something wrong? I never find containers to hold water. I rarely get berries off of bushes, I can't find food or a can opener ever, and when I do I eat and then not 2 minutes later "my stomach grumbles"

Look at the stone texture on some floors and you will get a message saying 'search for stones'. Do this until you find a stone, then take the stone into your hands and look at the same texture and it will say 'craft stone knife'. Do this, and you will have a 1 slot knife to open tins, skin and quarter animals/people, cut up rags, cut up bushes for sticks, cut bark off of a tree (combine with 1 stick to make a drill kit that you can use to light fires to cook food) and cut a branch from a tree (used as a melee weapon and also can have meat attached and then 'pose stick towards fire' and wait until it is cooked).

Apple trees are pretty common and you can search for apples by walking up to them and selecting the 'search for apples' option. They both hydrate and energise you and are pretty decent food sources. Berries can be poisonous so it's risky imo.

Loot the Dean Hall zombies (do a google search) and you will always find a kiwi on them. I seem to be finding a lot of tinned tuna on firemen zombies atm, might be a fluke though.

Food frequently spawns in clothes so it's worth looking at them in the inventory screen.

Best advice though, move away from the coast. Use an app like isurvive or an online map to help you navigate. Most towns have water pumps to get safe, clean water (just walk up to it with nothing in your hands to drink straight from the pump). A cooking pot, bottle or canteen can be used to hold water by having them in your hands and selecting the same option at the pump.

You can drink from any ponds too, although if you are low on health (colours are faded/grey) then you are likely to get cholera which will more than likely kill you. When healthy drinking from them is unlikely to harm you at all.

Hope some o those help.

3 hours ago, Gosintary said:

I did not know about apple trees, thanks

I starve or lack water to the point of death every single time I play. Am I doing something wrong? I never find containers to hold water. I rarely get berries off of bushes, I can't find food or a can opener ever, and when I do I eat and then not 2 minutes later "my stomach grumbles"

Once you get through the "I'm hungry" stage into the energized state,  you don't need so much food intake (depends a little on how much physical activity your character is doing) These status indicators saying hydrated/energized will show up when you open your inventory.. try and balance your food/water intake so both indicators turn bright green (this is how you regenerate blood, which in turn gives you a healthy status when enough time has passed) Fill up on apples until your get the message "you feel stuffed" comes up if your struggling, use this method until you learn other ways to gather food.. apples will be nerfed at some point so learn not to rely on them.

3 hours ago, stinkenheim said:

Most towns have water pumps to get safe, clean water (just walk up to it with nothing in your hands to drink straight from the pump). A cooking pot, bottle or canteen can be used to hold water by having them in your hands and selecting the same option at the pump.

This advice is what you need to do for water,  if you get desperate and need to travel while still having no water containers, a gas canister serves as a water vessel you can hold in your hands if need be.. you fill then empty it out two times to flush all the petrol out, be careful not to drink the whole thing (especially when opening doors) as its a lot of water and will make you throw up and then you'll lose whatever food and water is held in your stomach. 

In regards to finding food and water, i think its pretty easy. In terms of how quickly they run out I was hoping the rate at which water is needed greatly surpasses that of which food is needed. In real life taking the rule of 3 (you can survive roughly 3 minutes with no air, 3 days with no water and 3 weeks with no food) might be a bit much as , I know, its a game...however it would be a little bit more realistic if we didn't have to eat as much as we need to hydrate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that boiling water mechanic comes at some stage soon.

Having said that the food water system is coming along very nicely indeed devs ! Well done !