Sign in to follow this  
kopo79

BANDIT/KOS/DRUGS

Yeah,im maybe walking on fire here but game really needs more player interaction and RP servers are not enough....we need interactions in regular servers.
and kill on sight is one of the main problems what ends those.
what if,there is somekind of humanity/insane status.
every time you kill your status goes lower but examble bury the body helps the status to rise up little.
of course bury the body thing you would need pickaxe to make some gravestone or axe to make cross.
aaaaannnndddd...,shovel to make hole in the ground.
this whole process should take your time.
or another way to low your psychopatic status is to use drugs...you can also craft drugs examble from mushrooms.

yeah im just brainstorming here:)....or is it better just make bullets very rare?

if this suggestion goes through i gonna be drugseller....or gravestone/woodencross smith.
one can heroin=one can of beans:D

Edited by kopo79

Your heart is in the right place, but there are a bunch of reasons why an artificial penalty for killing other players would be problematic.

Reducing the prevalence of KoS to make room for more interesting interactions is really complex if we want to preserve player freedom in choosing what to do. The best way to do it is to give them other options to choose from rather than to penalize the choice to kill. Instead of interacting players would be incentivized to avoid other people at all costs just so they don't need to kill them, and people who kill out of necessity would still suffer as the result of overcoming the very behavior we want to see reduced.

When the new medical system is done, getting shot in the arms or legs might actually debilitate you, which means your enemies won't be obligated to deliver a coup de grace in order to remain safe. Weapons like stun batons, tranq guns, tazers, and things like cuffs might also play a role in reducing KoS as an outcome in the future.

Incentive to cooperate is probably the biggest thing that will change player habits toward something other than free-for-all-KoSing. Once base-owning groups emerge the landscape of who is out doing what, and where, will change drastically. Aside from having shit to do other than roving KoSing, when pecking orders and relationships between allied and opposing groups a natural order will be carved out of the present chaos. Territorial lines will emerge and conflict/conflict resolution will drive changes in player habits out of necessity. A random fresh spawn joining the server for the first time and traipsing randomly across land belonging to an established group will still likely be executed, but they might show the courtesy of telling you why before hand.

It's a noble endeavor, but a sanity/bandit meter with hard penalties is too intrusive into the freedom that DayZ has always set out to offer.

• Like 1

Incentivising cooperation is always better than arbitrary penalties for killing - especially when the variables in play are too many to count. If someone runs at you with an axe and you shoot them in self defence, should you suffer penalties because you've killed another player? The game can't register the intent of players, and so any variables you could include to make the game recognise whether a player is behaving aggressively and is therefore okay to kill can be circumvented. As such, as I said, it's better to incentivise cooperation than to implement arbitrary punishments - not only from a programming perspective but also from a gameplay perspective. 

So maybe the discussion should lean more towards how we can make cooperating with other players an attractive prospect. When soft skills and stamina is introduced it's possible we'll see a reduction in KoS. People are less likely to want to engage when there's a possibility that they'll lose their high level character, and the stamina system will make it much more difficult to simply sprint back to your body and continue the fight. Alternatively, players might become even more aggressive, knowing that if the other player shoots first then they'll lose their character and won't be able to recover their gear. Hard to say either way, but I'm against punishing players for taking part in a fundamental aspect of DayZ... even though I'm often a victim of it, and my attempts to KoS almost always fail miserably. I'm bad at DayZ.

• Like 2

*I have been engaged in the conversation longer than anyone here.

Once again I will offer what I have learned in hopes that it sheds some light on the subject.

Shooters train people to KoS everything.

Asking people to try a game with guns in it and not have them shoot everything that moves goes against all of the ingrained habits from every other game.

Now take into account how the brain of most men works under the age of 30 and their need to feel "tough" or puff up their ego's at the expense of other peoples fun goes up exponentially.

Shooters are one of the least "fun" types of games out there but people are addicted to an endorphin bump from feeling they preyed on someone or the adrenaline dump from a firefight.

The irony is that just like hard drugs, thew law of diminishing returns kicks in and the habit of KoS losses it's rush in relatively short time.

IF people were more creative OR they could actually think for themselves, they would realize that the most replay value is in exploring all aspects of the game.

People try to argue that KoS = survival. This is incredibly false. When you fire upon someone you are inviting gunfire in your direction which is exactly counter to survival.

I talk first always unless fired upon and I guarantee you I survive longer than most KoS players, easily.

Server hopping for gear and 3PP add to the problem as this decreases the need to spend as much time looting and reduces the sense of danger by giving overhead and corner peeking views.

TL;DR

It is possible to be "bad" at having fun and many peoples ideas of what constitutes fun is stupid, repetitive, boring, and requires little to no creativity or talent, like the music they listen to!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ☣BioHaze☣ said:

People try to argue that KoS = survival. This is incredibly false. When you fire upon someone you are inviting gunfire in your direction which is exactly counter to survival.

A part of the issue is the perception itself that KoSing is better for survival because it's that perception which motivates people to behave that way, not that actual truth of the matter.

• Like 1

There will definitely be mods for some kind of karma system but I also wish there was "something" in the vanilla game.

Not another meter but maybe player identification (slightly brighter player textures for friendlies), blind infected hordes (force stealth in rare spawn locations) and spawn sickness (w/ medical items spawning in coast towns). These ideas may be terrible but any kind of game mechanics that drive gameplay would be pretty good. I haven't really seen too much done with the various systems that are already in-game.