josephoshaughnessy

No barrels to be found

Fellow Survivors

I am playing on a private, persistent first person server and I have not found a barrel for many many hours of gameplay. I do presume they've all been taken and stashed in Pine Trees where they will never be found; could anyone confirm or deny this? Will I ever find a barrel or will they not spawn due to this persistence filling all the barrel slots (presuming that is how it works)? If anyone could answer my cries I would be ever grateful, this has been a concern that has lead to much dismay as I'm sure you can imagine. Perhaps this could be changed in the future?

Regards, Joseph

Well in my experience the barrel finding is very random... didnt see one for a few weeks then found 3 barrels in the space of a few hours tho perhaps that could have some thing to do with a server wipe maybe.. I would love to know how many barrels spawn on a server on a fresh wipe. They seeem so much more practical than tents IMO.

Dont give up ! :D

14 minutes ago, liquidcactus said:

Well in my experience the barrel finding is very random... didnt see one for a few weeks then found 3 barrels in the space of a few hours tho perhaps that could have some thing to do with a server wipe maybe.. I would love to know how many barrels spawn on a server on a fresh wipe. They seeem so much more practical than tents IMO.

Dont give up ! :D

Yeah, could not agree more. I remember before I made the switch to first person and was floating between non-persistent 3PP and barrels were a common sight. How I miss the sight of that rusted drum. I spent a good couple hours juggling tents attempting to find a place I could call home, but to no avail; the military tents are so cumbersome.

Same here...underground server...barrels none.

You'll find everything, if you do not want it, or need it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

You'll find everything, if you do not want it, or need it.

Trust me, I have no idea what to do with all these M4s I keep finding it's awful:(

If you're looking for barrel on the DayZ Underground private servers, I'd suggest looking for bases on the edges of the map. You'll find tents and barrels a plenty!! Be on the lookout for guards defending their bases though.

Good luck! 

P.S.: I found a few barrels stashed in pine trees and bushes around Green Mountain too. You can use a hunting scope or binoculars to try and spot them from afar since the foliage renders differently, and even if you try to hide a barrel closest to the trunk, it's still visible when you are far away enough.

So maybe explain this for me...

Full pop private server. In months of playing, not one barrel is ever found. Ever.

One day I find 3 barrels in 30 minutes. 2 more an hour later. Then a few more over the next day. No server wipes happened.  

Did someone raid a camp and poke holes in the barrels so they despawned, causing new barrels to spawn in.. or is the barrel spawn function really weird?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odin_lowe said:

If you're looking for barrel on the DayZ Underground private servers, I'd suggest looking for bases on the edges of the map. You'll find tents and barrels a plenty!! Be on the lookout for guards defending their bases though.

Good luck! 

P.S.: I found a few barrels stashed in pine trees and bushes around Green Mountain too. You can use a hunting scope or binoculars to try and spot them from afar since the foliage renders differently, and even if you try to hide a barrel closest to the trunk, it's still visible when you are far away enough.

There are dedicated guards, to protect bases on the very edge of the map - is it that populated out there that seems an absurd way of playing the game. Clearly shows how little I know about the going-ons over on the west :'). Also. with regard to the hunting scope, I think I've done this before by accident when scouting the airfield. 

• Like 1

Private servers spawn the same barrel quantity that public ones, but that quantity is for ALL the players, so there are like 1 barrel per 200 players or so lol. 

If they haven't done their persistence wipe in a long time, just forget about finding a barrel in his spawn location, go search for bases (2-3 pinetree groups, rock formations), check around military locations, since the pvp crowd always has their stashes near to the action. 

The other option is just to forget about them, and ask admins for the planned persistence wipe, and then connect the first day and find like 4 barrels in electro lol

Edited by exwoll
  • Like 2

I found a barrel yesterday on Colony, making it the fourth un-punctured barrel we have found in the last two weeks.  It takes persistent searching.  At this point most of them are claimed, and only very few will trickle back into the spawn tables each week.

@lrishjakePoking holes will not effect persistence, it will only ruin the barrel for tanning and dyeing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I found a barrel yesterday on Colony

#1,2, or 3?

Edited by lrishjake
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, lrishjake said:

#1,2, or 3?

It's on #1.  I haven't gone through the Whitelist process for the others yet.  Step one is an issue for me, as I refuse to give Zuck's unholy giant any more marketshare than they already have.

I can say that most of the barrels are very well-hidden, aside from a bunch that Thurman found the other day, but some savages poked holes in most of them, and I threw one away in a fit of rage after coming pack with a backpack full of pelts to find a useless metal cylinder.

Edit: Just found a nice green barrel hidden poorly in a tree north of NP.  No holes punched, either.

Edited by emuthreat
Just found one more.
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2017 at 6:21 PM, emuthreat said:

I can say that most of the barrels are very well-hidden, aside from a bunch that Thurman found the other day, but some savages poked holes in most of them, and I threw one away in a fit of rage after coming pack with a backpack full of pelts to find a useless metal cylinder.

The one's that IMT and I found were well hidden - they were just too close to each other.  But, to OP's point:  barrels are hard to find, many people are putting them in squirrely/illegitimate places - but, with hours of searching by three of us, we have come up with 12 or so barrels.  Can't imagine where all the others are.

29 minutes ago, Thurman Merman said:

The one's that IMT and I found were well hidden - they were just too close to each other.  But, to OP's point:  barrels are hard to find, many people are putting them in squirrely/illegitimate places - but, with hours of searching by three of us, we have come up with 12 or so barrels.  Can't imagine where all the others are.

Barrels are hard to find because you can stash them so easily. You either got to be lucky to run into one like me a few days ago when I ran into a green barrel or they're not hidden well. Remember, you can stash them basically anywhere as long as they are hidden well.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 4:21 PM, emuthreat said:

I threw one away in a fit of rage

I actually found a barrel yesterday on Colony.. it was in Cherno of all places. Just spawned in a shed, sitting there staring at me next to a small dry bag.

I almost cried I felt so lucky. #LEATHERHEREICOMEBABY!

• Like 4

On 3/23/2017 at 11:34 AM, odin_lowe said:

Found 2 barrels (in pine trees), 5 tents and 2 cargo trucks to the west of the military base outside Myshkino.  Of course I took what I needed, then camped it waiting for the owner.  Got 2 kills ;)  

So if you find someone's base, look in the trees ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, plasma (DayZ) said:

Found 2 barrels (in pine trees), 5 tents and 2 cargo trucks to the west of the military base outside Myshkino.  Of course I took what I needed, then camped it waiting for the owner.  Got 2 kills ;)  

So if you find someone's base, look in the trees ;)

I prefer the clear-cut strategy.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to miss a barrel, even when looking in the correct tree.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I prefer the clear-cut strategy.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to miss a barrel, even when looking in the correct tree.

Chainsaw? :)