Sign in to follow this  
Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 21 March 2017

WC6mUFT.jpg

Hello Survivors!
This week, we're sharing progress on new melee combat animations from Victor, our Lead Sound Designer Andrej is teasing audio updates in 0.62 and 0.63 and our Community Manager Baty is sharing her experience from a community event that happaned on DayZ Underground this weekend. We also want to inform you about planned website improvements and recent changes on our forums.

Contents This Week

• Development Board Spotlight
  • Dev Update/Hicks
  • Dev Update/Viktor
  • Dev Update/Andrej
  • Handpicked: DayZ Forums Topics
  • Community Spotlight

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors,

For this Status Report we're going to take a look through the current tasks and immediate goals for .61 Hotfixes, .62 Development, and the march towards Beta. I'd also like to list out the top 3 issues the QA department is looking for more data on from you all over on the Feedback Tracker.

.61 Stable Branch:

• QA Team is currently investigating reports of unlootable corpses. Repro steps being investigated before gameplay programming team can attempt to address.
  • Gameplay Programming team currently working on addressing physics issues with .61 Exp/Unstable build that result in animals sometimes moving below terrain
  • QA Team is verifying adjustments to vehicle physics on Exp/Unstable branch that should address vehicles slipping below terrain
  • Gameplay Programming team is working on addressing some legacy security issues found on .61 Stable
  • QA Team is verifying changes to vehicle persistence and the handling of destroyed vehicles on Exp/Unstable branch that should address problems on stable with destroyed vehicles sticking around.

Over on the .62 Front, Adam and his team continue pushing along - and for those that missed PAX East we will include the cut of slow pan through WIP Broadleaf Forest, and pan through grass with the WIP new grass shader.

.62 Current Tasks:

• Young Conifer Distribution
  • Additional Color Adjustments to Tree & Bush Colors
  • Chernarus Lighting config changes
  • Performance Analysis

[youtube]Ip9l1RFPm8g[/youtube]

On the Beta side of the fence, there is a large amount of work ahead of us. I know we've made comparisons before about the extensive changes being compared to a spinal transfusion for DayZ, and that cannot be stated enough. This is a massive undertaking, and it is and will take time. That said, lets take a look at what the team is currently focusing on for their immediate tasks.

Beta Current Goals:

• Rework of User Action System
  • Iterating Melee Combat Mechanics
  • Inventory Refactorization
  • Internal Testing of Knife/Axe Prototype Combat
  • Soft Skills Prototype
  • Introducing Animations for User Actions that previously used generic
  • Creating support for vehicles to functionally have more than 4 wheels (V3S for example)
  • Electricity System Prototyping
  • Unjamming Anims for New Player

Lastly, I'd like to list the top 3 issues the QA team needs more feedback on from our official Feedback Tracker - If you have any data, repro steps, etc on these issues please feel free to update them with what you have!

- Brian Hicks / Creative Director

Dev Update/Viktor

Today, I would like to talk about our progress on melee combat. At this point, we have implemented animations for unarmed combat, axe, pipe and knife combat. These animations are still work-in-progress but allow us to test basic behavior in-game.

This is very useful: we can now iterate with programmers and designers and adjust every animation accordingly so that it blends better, for instance if you perform continuous attacks. Our plan is to have unique attack animations for fist fight, axe, knife and items like fire extinguisher, pith fork, baseball bat, pipe and many other items in order to achieve a unique look and feel when fighting.

Creating attack animations for this new system is bit more time consuming though. In the old combat, there was one attack animation per item. In the new melee combat, we now have a series of 6 animations per item. These animations blend together, so you can either perform attack and go to idle or you can continue with another attack without interruption.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

In upcoming weeks, we are planning to add damage to the player and hit reactions, as well as continue on balancing the entire melee combat system.

- Viktor Kostik / Lead Animator

Dev Update/Andrej

Ahoy survivors!

The audio department is operating at full power, working on both 0.62 and 0.63 updates.

For 0.62, we are preparing a full revamp of ambient sounds. New atmospheres andenvironment sounds in general, but also spatial vegetation or structure sounds. We are utilizing the potential of our new sound system, so it's not just new samples, but a true, complete overhaul: new ambient sounds for forests, coast side, fields but also cities and villages are all in the making. 

The infamous, annoying random sounds of fence screeching are gone, and audio will also follow weather dynamically and in more detail, ultimately meaning new wind, thunder and rain sound effects will be added to DayZ. In general, roaming the countryside of Chernarus will be a much more pleasant experience to your ears.

At the same time, part of our audio team is working on the 0.63 update, where we will introduce new user actions sounds, weapon reload sounds and basically all audio connected to the player character. 0.63 will also bring new vehicle sounds through our redesigned audio system, so driving will sound more natural and responsive to engine behavior.

That's all from audio department now, we will share some more before the update drops!

- Andrej Sinkevic / Lead Sound Designer

DayZ Forums News

During the past week, the DayZ forums have gone under a short (but long overdue) maintenance. The new software update to the forums, deployed by our Web Team on Wednesday introduced some neat improvements to the design template, but more importantly, it significantly increased the loading times of the forums and their overall security. 

We've also re-introduced the "give beans" feature that all veteran forum users surely remember from past - much to everyone's delight, too, as from what we've seen, the flow of beans has been pretty steady on the forums since the update happened! 

We'd like to continue with general improvements to the forums, and eventually also start looking at improvements to the DayZ.com website design and usability. While we're well aware of some critical issues that make the DayZ website less intuitive (and outdated), we'd definitely love to hear what you think would make you interact with our website more often - please share your thoughts with us in the topic linked below!

- Martin Čulák / Brand Manager

Community Spotlight

Over the last weekend, me and Creative Director Brian Hicks were participating on an event called "The Hunting Season" organized by DayZ Underground server team. It was a large hunting event and to win you had to be the group with the most pieces of steak and hide. Groups could hunt each other during the event, but human meat did not count towards the victory. You could have met Survivors from all around the world as well as well-known streamers like M1NDR, MarkstromTV or Moondye7. The entire event was very exciting and hunters wiped out almost every deer in Chernarus. I have never seen more steaks at one place. Brian Hicks and MarkstromTV were the winners, congratulations! There were more competitions at the end - bow shooting and the best dressed participant of the event. We sat by the fire playing musical instruments and roasted meat. Do you know any better way to spend a Saturday night?

HKzR8Mw.jpg

Nkk3A7t.jpg

CnDZnTF.jpg

Screenshots by DrDeSync 

If you are organizing community events on servers, do not be afraid to let us know! We love community events!

Tourettesmexchanic and his friends were showing off their DayZ inspired weapons collection on Reddit. And it is a truly fabulous one! It has almost everything, including camouflaged Mosin, Repeater and accessories like Tactical Bacon or protector case. These Survivors are ready for an apocalypse and nothing will surprise them!

dasTU2s.jpg

0F0mcrj.jpg

3DZAOff.jpg

If you experience any bugs on Stable or Experimental servers, don't forget to use our Feedback Tracker to submit bugs, and for the newest info or a place to share your screenshots, follow the official DayZ Development Team Twitter account.

Header image by: NotSymmetra

Baty / Community Manager

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Baty Alquawen said:
  • Young Conifer Distribution
  • Additional Color Adjustments to Tree & Bush Colors

Love it!  That and the environmental sound revamp should make it feel like a whole new Chernarus!

• Like 4

Love the community spotlight, here's my painted black SKS and the core contents of my assault bag including LSK in the ziplock that goes with me everywhere, I leave the rifle at home most of the time.

17426314_10206661280570536_6368971896205[/img]

Edited by BCBasher
  • Like 9

The new attack animations look great! :D I can't wait to see how players are affected by these swings/stabs! 

I'm really not sure how much more work is being put into .62, but it sounds fantastic! The audio part of the update will certainly be amazing and much needed! Can't wait to be immersed into Chernarus even more ^_^

Am I wrong to think that .62 doesn't sound that far off from being done?? I want to see it, like.. Thursday/Friday haha. (Here's to hoping!)

QUESTION - Are Infected receiving any new Audio sounds, as well? 

Edited by Espa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:

The infamous, annoying random sounds of fence screeching are gone, and audio will also follow weather dynamically and in more detail, ultimately meaning new wind, thunder and rain sound effects will be added to DayZ. In general, roaming the countryside of Chernarus will be a much more pleasant experience to your ears.

5 years, 5 long years, the same bird sound, over, and over, and over.... the same bucket being kicked over by no one, over, and over...... the same fence being banged, over, and over....

Will it really end?

Can it possibly?

I won't dare to dream!

Thanks for all the hard work devs/everyone!

• Like 4

Was nobody wearing leather clothing in the hunting event?  SMH

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

There is only one true beefening, we know this.

It involves Pvt Meatbag, a leather hat, and a pantless wolf combat strategy....

• Like 1

I absolutely freaking knew it! A major sound revamp for .62. It makes so much sense considering the environment overhaul. Holy crap my dream is finally coming true. Andrej you better not dog us by not showing anything!!! >:)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Love the community spotlight, here's my painted black SKS and the core contents of my assault bag including LSK in the ziplock that goes with me everywhere, I leave the rifle at home most of the time.

17426314_10206661280570536_6368971896205[/img]

This is awesome, man!

19 hours ago, Espa said:

QUESTION - Are Infected receiving any new Audio sounds, as well? 

Here:

https://trello.com/c/xxn9t08Q/56-new-zed-sounds-wip

17 hours ago, emuthreat said:

No :(

I started looting an evening before event.

• Like 3

Yesssss! They're going to be scary again! Haha. @Baty Alquawen is the best <3 Thanks for the clarity!

Looking forward to 0.62 for all the forest and vegetation changes, but the thing I'm most excited about is the new environmental sounds!! This will change the experience a lot!! Although, part of me will miss the old sounds that have been around with us for the past years.

Keep it up fellas!! Cheers!

• Like 1

I see you're working on the character stuck attacking bug, we were talking about that in the forum yesterday.

I've had that since the beginning and in a few other games, the game is detecting the click from the mouse but missing the release. On login it seems to catch the mouse click on connect at the server browser, I believe the connect click disables input during the login phase causing the game to miss the mouses release and it thinks the button is still held when you log in.