Sign in to follow this  
Espa

Desired New Animations

Hey guys, while we all bide our time for the next SR and the next update to .62, I thought it'd be fun to have a small discussion on the new animations that we'll be seeing in .63 and the new player controller. What are some new animations you'd like to see? :D 

I have quite a few in mind! 

Movement

Moving uphill - The player would lean forward and even grab at the ground occasionally for grip and perhaps exhaust the Stamina bar a bit, making the character huff a few times.

Moving downhill - The player would lean backward a bit and take gentle steps, with the Sprint button capable of slinging their body forward to slide on the ground a bit (Surf downwards a small distance)

Inertia - Self-explanatory, have the character be limited by weight of own body and of the goods they place onto their body. -- If weighted by a ton of goods, if attacked or shot, should have player fall forward onto their stomach (Prone)

Running - Less upright, constrained by weights, hands/arms more fluid.

'Stealth' - More creeping walk, ability to lean against walls and walk for less sound.

Attacks

When Hurt - The player should grab at the subject location that was hurt and groan for a second, blood seeping out from the wound subject location (Head, Arms, Chest, Legs).

When Hurting Others - The player should move fluidly towards them and strikes should look realistic.

Fatigue - No more infinite sign gun sway, but either a flickery center aim or one that lowers and you have to keep it up.

Infected

Grappling Players - Leaping onto their legs or back, holding on, and slowly damaging the player - but also limiting mobility.

Breaking Down Doors - It's time to let it out of the bag already. We've seen the animation, let's do it! 

Running - Should look more like a player, not a poopy pants grandma.

Bonus - A distinctive animation of the Infected gnawing at dead bodies OR certain Infected carrying melee weapons to attack with would really blow open the debate of just what kind of Infected they really are; Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later. 

Edited by Espa
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Espa said:

*snip*

*snip*

They should keep that animation one out of ten or something, that infected thought it was a fart, it wasn't.

Seriously though there was a video in the SR last year that showed most if not all of the ones you suggested under movement, pretty sure all those will come with the new player controller. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

They should keep that animation one out of ten or something, that infected thought it was a fart, it wasn't.

Seriously though there was a video in the SR last year that showed most if not all of the ones you suggested under movement, pretty sure all those will come with the new player controller. 

Haha 1 out of 10 Zeds running after me like Poopy pants would be funny actually xD -- The idea of having varying types of moving Infected is an idea in itself, an actual great one! Basically have OMGkiller fast Strong Zed, Normal Zed who move a little bit slower than us, and Poopy Pants Weak ones. I like :D 

Honestly though, I hope they are doing MOCAPs for the new controller that will translate onto the Infected bodies. They look so unnatural currently. . -- I have a dream where I play DayZ and look through a town and can't tell who is an Infected and who is a player, except for the noises they make and their close-up appearance. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Espa said:

Haha 1 out of 10 Zeds running after me like Poopy pants would be funny actually xD -- The idea of having varying types of moving Infected is an idea in itself, an actual great one! Basically have OMGkiller fast Strong Zed, Normal Zed who move a little bit slower than us, and Poopy Pants Weak ones. I like :D 

Honestly though, I hope they are doing MOCAPs for the new controller that will translate onto the Infected bodies. They look so unnatural currently. . -- I have a dream where I play DayZ and look through a town and can't tell who is an Infected and who is a player, except for the noises they make and their close-up appearance. 

I'm assuming they have it under control and new modules replacing old will make big changes because the AI right now is garbage on so many levels, I get the core DayZ demographic but I actually bought this for Bohemia's AI and hopes SA's will be on par or better than ArmA if not stock then modded.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I'm assuming they have it under control and new modules replacing old will make big changes because the AI right now is garbage on so many levels, I get the core DayZ demographic but I actually bought this for Bohemia's AI and hopes SA's will be on par or better than ArmA if not stock then modded.  

Totally understand dude. Honestly, in the end, I want DayZ to run like an amazing sandbox that feels Singleplayer -- But lo and behold, there are other players around to interact with.

• Like 1

Well I'd like to see them pull out something amazing for the sake of the sandbox.

I used an ArmA 2/3 mod called dac that would effectively fill the whole map with naturally behaving AI and then hide all but squad leaders that aren't within a set player bubble. Playing two player with my kids it worked great with spawned AI counts in the thousands if you stuck together. We would start getting the delayed spawn in and unresponsive AI I'm seeing in SA if we separated and it had to manage two full 1.5km player bubbles, the server would go from 25-30 fps down to 5, right now SA looks like 500m maybe..

I want 10,000 spawned infected, to be able to spend an hour or two scoping a town, get either a good fight or a challenging sneak, and not get surprised by teleport hax zombies.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Espa said:

Hey guys, while we all bide our time for the next SR and the next update to .62, I thought it'd be fun to have a small discussion on the new animations that we'll be seeing in .63 and the new player controller. What are some new animations you'd like to see? :D 

I have quite a few in mind! 

Movement

Moving uphill - The player would lean forward and even grab at the ground occasionally for grip and perhaps exhaust the Stamina bar a bit, making the character huff a few times.

Moving downhill - The player would lean backward a bit and take gentle steps, with the Sprint button capable of slinging their body forward to slide on the ground a bit (Surf downwards a small distance)

Inertia - Self-explanatory, have the character be limited by weight of own body and of the goods they place onto their body. -- If weighted by a ton of goods, if attacked or shot, should have player fall forward onto their stomach (Prone)

Running - Less upright, constrained by weights, hands/arms more fluid.

'Stealth' - More creeping walk, ability to lean against walls and walk for less sound.

Attacks

When Hurt - The player should grab at the subject location that was hurt and groan for a second, blood seeping out from the wound subject location (Head, Arms, Chest, Legs).

When Hurting Others - The player should move fluidly towards them and strikes should look realistic.

Fatigue - No more infinite sign gun sway, but either a flickery center aim or one that lowers and you have to keep it up.

Infected

Grappling Players - Leaping onto their legs or back, holding on, and slowly damaging the player - but also limiting mobility.

Breaking Down Doors - It's time to let it out of the bag already. We've seen the animation, let's do it! 

Bonus - A distinctive animation of the Infected gnawing at dead bodies OR certain Infected carrying melee weapons to attack with would really blow open the debate of just what kind of Infected they really are; Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later. 

Or they could scrap all the "animations" system and Implement Euphoria

You guys saw the new melee animations?, 6 different animations used in sequence

They should have used the directional combat attack/block from mount and blade: warband

I'm not bashing, I love DayZ and I want it to be the best :)

The inertia would have to be my favorite of your listings @Espa. If they could come up with a nice system, I would be more then overjoyed. Have you seen the  upcoming scrum game? Not long ago they showcased their inertia system, it looks quite good. I have no doubt that a lot of what you have suggested will be coming sooner or later though but for now here is my thoughts.

For me it would have to be all the little things that have some generic anim going for it or none at all. If we could eventually get unique anims for everything, this will go a long way to make it feel more alive imo.

Opening my backpack. It would be awesome to swing the bag around to my front to unzip and have a peak inside when in jog mode. Walking/crouching should allow you to peak inside your bag a tad quicker, and sprinting should not allow inventory access maybe. The new player movement should allow this sort of anim as the bottom half is separated from top half shown in a lot of videos (ie; eating & walking)

Eating a can of food should leave the empty in my hand letting me choose to drop it or stash it in my bag or bush, similar to the mod days. Separate the anims for these actions here would be most welcome in my book.

Actually thinking about this & anims, I would go further and introduce some utensils - fork, spoon, knife etc. would be another small immersive welcome addition. Without these, you must use your hands to eat and then forcing you to wash your hands afterwards in a pond or something? That would introduce a few more anims/mechanics just for eating/cleaning.

Opening doors, having my hand grab the doorknob and twist and push to open the door either inwards/outwards, fast or slow. (pretty sure something like this was talked about from devs. Also all doors will open outward not inwards towards you, game decision they have made. Would be cool to see this overturned as it could lean towards some interesting encounters and how to go about entering/exiting buildings with certain doors opening certain ways. 

A new slow movement mode with new player controller. The one thing I pine for is a dedicated slow, slow movement. If I am crouching around, I am trying to be quiet. Now there is times when I approach a building, and I would like to be absolute stealthy & quiet. I don't want to glitch, lightly tap w every 0.5 secs to "be quiet"! I would love it, if we could hold a key whilst walking or crouching, to slow us down by half speed, reducing footstep noise by 50+%. We would now be ultra quiet, but now a sitting duck on approach. This could apply to crouch/standing mode.

On the topic of movement, it has already been asked a few hundred times but here goes. Stance animations..I do not want the carbon copy of A3 like so many others, but I do relish the idea of something that will allow us to observe over/around/under objects. As an avid user of trackir, this would be truly amazing. Something possibly like another key to push and then use your mouse movement/trackir to allow for some peeking? I don't really care how they implement this if I must be honest, it is just a feature that I think is needed. I have no doubt that the devs will introduce something similar to this when they change the controller though. Why do more work, again?

I guess I could go on & on but it is all mostly the same and already suggested. Really, I am fine by anything that adds small quality of life things that sucks you in to the immersion even more.

• Like 1

Fap - Its a lonely world out there in Chernarus. 

All i like to see is to be able to walk and eat/drink at the sametime. Seriously the PC can't multitask to save its life.