stefos71

Is this game (full paid version) worth buying now?

Hi everyone,

So, a bit about me:

I own all the Arma's and just got the Arma Apex expansion now as well.

I really liked "The Walking Dead" and I am considering buying Day Z (full paid version) however.......I have seen a LOT of negativity around it.

For example:

People complain about missing things like vehicles & being able to build structures.

Can someone please bring clarification about these things?  Are the developers going to put in the vehicles & ability to build structures?

Thank you,

Stefos

Edited by stefos71

Basic vehicles are in but buggy, base building features will come in the during beta it seems and hopefully the game will run better and be more mod friendly than  ARMA III. Only buy it looking to the future at a reduced price because at present as while its playable, its under heavy development with changes to the engine etc at the moment. Betas coming around the end of the year possibly and the price will no doubt rise, so consider it for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, O_HellFire said:

Basic vehicles are in but buggy, base building features will come in the during beta it seems and hopefully the game will run better and be more mod friendly than  ARMA III. Only buy it looking to the future at a reduced price because at present as while its playable, its under heavy development with changes to the engine etc at the moment. Betas coming around the end of the year possibly and the price will no doubt rise, so consider it for sure.

Hi,

Thanks for being honest.

It's still selling for $30...........When it be reduced in price?

Thanks,

Stefos

Maybe during mid year steam sales. If you like ARMA II and III its worth the U.S. $30 in my opinion.. it will be the more modern version and even if you don't like vanilla the mods will be similar.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, O_HellFire said:

Maybe during mid year steam sales. If you like ARMA II and III its worth the U.S. $30 in my opinion.. it will be the more modern version and even if you don't like vanilla the mods will be similar.    

Ok......thanks but when is the mid year sale?  June or July right?

Thanks,

Stefos

I wouldn't count on on DayZ standalone going on sale anytime soon.  Last time there was a Steam Sale DayZ was either not on sale or they had just raised the price to it's current price and had the previous price as the 'sale' price.

I rarely play DayZ SA anymore but IMO I got my 30 bucks out of it for the amount I did play, and will be returning to it more regularly probably when they reach beta (which should be Soon™).

• Like 2

DayZ Standalone has always been worth paying for if the following things are true:

1) You believe in the core vision for DayZ. I don't mean what you might have seen on Youtube or Twitch. I don't mean you believe in what the mod was able to achieve. I mean you believe in what Rocket's original intent was and what Peter, Hicks, and the rest of the dev team have been working towards since day one, whether the playable builds have always reflected that or not.

2) You believe that Bohemia can and will make it happen.

3) You don't need to be coddled by a game designer.

I paid $30 for it two years ago. I just hit 2000 hours. 

I honestly feel like I owe Bohemia money at this point.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, stefos71 said:

Hi everyone,

So, a bit about me:

I own all the Arma's and just got the Arma Apex expansion now as well.

I really liked "The Walking Dead" and I am considering buying Day Z (full paid version) however.......I have seen a LOT of negativity around it.

For example:

People complain about missing things like vehicles & being able to build structures.

Can someone please bring clarification about these things?  Are the developers going to put in the vehicles & ability to build structures?

Thank you,

Stefos

Yes it is worth the 30$ because when done dayz will be 60$ + 

• Like 1

Just like Cold, I'm 6 days shy for my second year of DayZ and have played it approximately 1900 hours and still rising almost every day. In my opinion, despite it's still in alpha, the bugs, frustrating moments here and there, I got my money's worth plenty of times. DayZ is my favorite game and the game which is spent most hours in compared to the time I own the game. Because of DayZ I started to like survival games and realistic shooters.

I personally would advice you to buy it, before you will get bored you will already have your money's worth unless it's not your type of game. But keep in mind, the game is still in development. The game will be more expensive at some point so if you decide to buy it, I would do it now.

To reflect on your post, I see you own Arma 3. If you like Arma 3, you will probably like DayZ as well and in my opinion the controls and character interaction feel much more fluent. Not to mention the new upcoming character controller and animation system. The game gets a lot of negativity, that's true. However, most of this negativity is just frustation, trolling or lack of knowledge about game development which is critical for this game. You need to understand that the build you are currently playing might be totally different in the future and that a lot of things you know or have learned may be due to change in the (near) future.

About your specific examples: vehicles are currently in but still need some work but people really wanted them and the developers needed more data so they pushed them to Stable. So people who are negative about vehicles don't have a point anyway because they wanted them so badly, even if their current state would be bad. Base building is currently in-game in a very basic concept in the form of building a camp with tents and/or barrels. But the end-product of base building looks very promising. There is some information about it here and there and if you want I can post some links about that subject.

If you need more information, do let us know. The rest is up to you.

Maybe see you in Chernarus!

Edited by IMT
  • Like 4

Hi IMT,

What about monitoring Hackers, Cheaters and other gaming "undesireables?"

Can you speak to that?

Thank you sir! :)

Stefos

1 hour ago, stefos71 said:

Hi IMT,

Can you speak to that?

Stefos

Well I believe they stated that their scripting rewrite to the new Enforce Scripting Language that the new engine uses will reduce or prevent the current "carpet bombing" script hack that is seen in a couple of recent videos. Not sure if they've mentioned other hacks that are possible rn but it seems like they intend on ridding them with the new script language. (Hopefully that is the case)

I think it is NOT worth buying *currently*. And here's why:

I've had tons of fun with DayZ SA, and it's totally worth the money I paid for it (day one price, can't remember exactly). I've spent hours on top of hours with friends and alone, it was fun and I'd honestly pay 60$ for the experience I've had. This game truely is amazing and capable of delivering the best gaming experiences you'll ever remember (till this day we go down the memory lane sometimes remembering awesome moments of player interaction or firefights). It truely is fascinating.

But here's the deal: It was fun while it lasted. The combination of wrong development decisions, and the fact updates were beginning to progress *extremely slow* after a while - killed the playerbase. In my opinion, mod support was supposed to be released as early as 0.45 - 0.46 no matter the state of the engine, game, how broken system X, Y or Z is - I've got banned off the forums for having this opinion, and I still stand by it.

If you ask me? Give it time. Wait for the beta, or full release and see how things go then. Currently, there's really no point in buying the game because you will not experience the amazing stories I and many others have to tell. Now really, the game is all about looting, and looting and looting. There's too many guns and too many ammo types, you will spend hours getting an average gun with ammo. Getting a Mosin with proper ammo is harder than getting an AK, the game is full of unbalanced and not-so-fun little things like that. It all causes players to be seperate, to KOS. I don't feel like interacting with players currently because there is no point.

As I ranted about alot, mod support is the way to go for this game. It always been, always will be. Since everyone had their piece at vanilla experience, the only point for me to play would be to tinker my own mods and play other people's creation - something BI is very supportive of, ironically to the fact this game is no where to feature modding anytime soon.

I said my piece,

-yuvalino

Edited by Yuval

13 hours ago, stefos71 said:

Hi IMT,

Can you speak to that?

Stefos

To be honest, I rarely see any hackers and can not even remember when I was killed last time by an hacker. I was left with an odd flavor about a death a few days ago though, but of course I'm not sure if it was an hacker. Obvious hackers are hard to find (those who teleport (to) people, kill everyone by "carpet bombing", etc.) these days. I'm certain there will be people who can hide their hacks very well and dying by their hand will not ring any bells.

Your best choice would be to play on a private hive server by the way because these servers are next to the anti-cheat also monitored by the active server admins and the community which play there.

In my opinion, Bohemia has successfully made hacking harder and is also trying to fix all duping methods as soon as possible. They're certainly trying to keep the game as clean as possible. :)

Edited by IMT
  • Like 2

Don't listen to the naysayers of this game, it is an original and unique experience that you won't forget. It will test your morality, how you read people, eventually give you knowledge of a huge map, and in general give you feelings that no other game can. 

Things are more real in DayZ, because you can spend hours doing things with one character and then run into a hostile stranger who will take your efforts and end it in an instant. Death has a weight here (Not enough yet, but is rising)

If you want to play a beautiful and anxiety-ridden game, play. The game is worth more than it's Steam price in terms of hours that will be put in, and .62 should be right around the corner, with .63 in the later part of the year (Knock on wood)

Is it worth thirty dollars, from the complaints I've seen here it depends on whether you make thirty dollars by morning coffee break or quitting time?

I bought two copies, I had to work about two hours to pay for it and got two thousand hours of entertainment so far.

Don't be that guy who cries about thirty dollars like it was enough to buy a car or a house. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Is it worth thirty dollars, from the complaints I've seen here it depends on whether you make thirty dollars by morning coffee break or quitting time?

I bought two copies, I had to work about two hours to pay for it and got two thousand hours of entertainment so far.

Don't be that guy who cries about thirty dollars like it was enough to buy a car or a house. 

Hi BC.......

Thanks but I've only seen old videos on YouTube from 3 years ago and what's up now.

I'm not crying poor.......Just don't want to waste my money if the Dev team was not actively concerned about this game.

You've really given me nothing to chew on.

Thanks anyway,

Stefos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Espa said:

Don't listen to the naysayers of this game, it is an original and unique experience that you won't forget. It will test your morality, how you read people, eventually give you knowledge of a huge map, and in general give you feelings that no other game can. 

Things are more real in DayZ, because you can spend hours doing things with one character and then run into a hostile stranger who will take your efforts and end it in an instant. Death has a weight here (Not enough yet, but is rising)

If you want to play a beautiful and anxiety-ridden game, play. The game is worth more than it's Steam price in terms of hours that will be put in, and .62 should be right around the corner, with .63 in the later part of the year (Knock on wood)

Hi Espa,

I saw a Miscreated video on YouTube and I didn't like the more arcadey feel to it really.

I enjoy "The Walking Dead" and I like realism actually.

I might be moving to a different part of the U.S. so I need to save more money.

Thank you sir for being honest.

Stefos

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IMT said:

To be honest, I rarely see any hackers and can not even remember when I was killed last time by an hacker. I was left with an odd flavor about a death a few days ago though, but of course I'm not sure if it was an hacker. Obvious hackers are hard to find (those who teleport (to) people, kill everyone by "carpet bombing", etc.) these days. I'm certain there will be people who can hide their hacks very well and dying by their hand will not ring any bells.

Your best choice would be to play on a private hive server by the way because these servers are next to the anti-cheat also monitored by the active server admins and the community which play there.

In my opinion, Bohemia has successfully made hacking harder and is also trying to fix all duping methods as soon as possible. They're certainly trying to keep the game as clean as possible. :)

Hi IMT,

Thank you again sir for being straight up and honest.

I saw a Miscreated video and liked some things about it...i.e. flashlight at night looked really nice.  I also saw ridiculous things like Tae Kwon Do high spin kicking and I laughed a bit.

DayZ seems to be the boilerplate game for all other DayZ rip offs actually.

I'm surprised BI hasn't sued these companies for ripping off their (now) product.

Stefos

• Like 2

Yeah stefos.. beware of the imitations, while they can have some merit.. they just don't compare with the experience you get from DayZ Standalone, the negatives seem to outweigh the positives in the end.

Development isn't ticking along like the other games using pre-existing engines but they're not doing too bad considering all they have to do.. and I've got faith the devs are getting on top of things in regards to building and implementing the new engines etc (still expect bugs and possible delays though).. strongly doubt BI would pull the plug at this point, this engines the future investment of their company. 

As for hackers, I've been an admin on servers (private only) and can only confirm one group of people as actual hackers in that time, though there were suspicions about some others. Recently been playing high pop public and private servers and while there's certainly evidence they're out there, I've yet to cross paths with one.. wall glitchers seem more prevalent I would say, and that gets fixed with the new player controller coming shortly hopefully.

Biggest concern you'll have is the learning curve for simply surviving (forums are a great starting point to get you through that).. and then its surviving when you meet hostile players (experience is vital).. Next issue you'll face is, unless you have friends who play, does being a lone wolf suit you and time your able to allocate to playing? (this game can be a huge time sink depending on what you want to do, as you probably know from playing ARMA), or do you want to play as part of a group for the social aspect and comradery it offers?. (You can strike up a friendship in game possibly, jump on a servers ts/discord and meet and play DayZ with all sorts of people from anywhere). This is why so many complain there's nothing to do and no end game yet in my opinion.. if you join a group of regular players, your DayZ experience increases dramatically and as IRL, people have a way of keeping you busy most of the time.

End of the day its an open sandbox world.. I've been a survivor/hunter, protector of the innocent, bandit hunter, payday mask wearing kidnapper/torturer and even the leader of a cannibal group.. don't think I've even gotten past being a simple survivor in any of the other games I've got. It's up to you what you think you want from the game and then try and make it happen, I never even imagined doing half these things when I brought it and just like IMT said, I feel like I owe BI money for the thousands of hours of entertainment I've gotten from them!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, stefos71 said:

Hi BC.......

Thanks but I've only seen old videos on YouTube from 3 years ago and what's up now.

I'm not crying poor.......Just don't want to waste my money if the Dev team was not actively concerned about this game.

You've really given me nothing to chew on.

Thanks anyway,

Stefos

Sorry if you took that the wrong way but its a common thing around, guy buys game, plays 500 hours, complains its broke, wants a refund because thirty bones could have put his kid through college.

Other BI games including the flagship ArmA will be built with or off the tech being developed for SA so they will finish it, it might take awhile but I believe it's because they're trying to get big things done right.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BCBasher said:

Sorry if you took that the wrong way but its a common thing around, guy buys game, plays 500 hours, complains its broke, wants a refund because thirty bones could have put his kid through college.

Other BI games including the flagship ArmA will be built with or off the tech being developed for SA so they will finish it, it might take awhile but I believe it's because they're trying to get big things done right.

Not a problem...............Thanks for expressing where you were coming from.

Things can get "off" when someone posts like this here.

I'm not sure I'm going to move to where I wanted to.....Tuscon, Arizona.  The pay there is considerably less than here and it's very hot.

I'm having serious doubts at this point.

Thanks my man,

Stefos

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 11:05 PM, stefos71 said:

Hi,

Thanks for being honest.

It's still selling for $30...........When it be reduced in price?

Thanks,

Stefos

DayZ is currently $34.99. The only sales I've ever seen was 15% off. It's not worth it for them to sell units at a lower price atm. DayZ is very much worth $34.99.

On 3/19/2017 at 1:51 PM, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Yes it is worth the 30$ because when done dayz will be 60$ + 

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The price of DayZ Early Access will increase slowly as development moves closer to 1.0 (Releasing from Early Access). With the final price of DayZ at 39.99 EUR / 49.99 USD

SOURCE: http://store.steampowered.com/app/221100/

That steam link is from 2013 i read some where Hicks said $60 or more just within the last year.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
spelling

Hi Everyone,

I just bought Day Z standalone...........Let look towards a great future in this game!

Thanks for all your input,

Stefos

I'm here with the same dilemma, have had this game in my cart for a while now but the reviews have made me leery of purchasing the game.  It looks like so much fun but I don't want to purchase this and it end up with development being terminated.  Been watching a lot of Baby Nades videos and I really like what I have seen