Irish.

Character Value: A discussion.

On 19.3.2017 at 8:16 PM, Whyherro123 said:

I've been here since the beginning of 2014. You ...... don't need to tell me this, I already know it.

You aren't revealing world-shattering knowledge, here. This exact topic has been debated many, MANY, MANY times before. Hell, many of the ideas you bring up were first discussed by me, several years before you even joined this forum.

Maybe I am just getting burnt out, but I found your attempt at education "annoying", for a lack of a better term.

Here is a hint: If someone has more than a thousand posts, don't presume to "educate" them, especially not when they can read the thread for themselves.

-deep breath-

U are hands down the biggest drama queen on this forum

I think if they could do something like PZ does with skills and crafting then you would get the player value, once you have leveled carpentry to whatever is needed to do the coolest stuff your not gonna be so quick to do dumb shit well unless your dumb. I know in PZ in the early game I take risks a lot to get started but once I get medical skills especially to a good number which takes a lot of time when I loot any house it's weapon up checking all corners closing all curtains and windows and doors and paranoid as hell i could die. and it's awesome. I'll add that you can start your toon with a mix of professions or make custom ones with positives and negatives so if you have a group of players they are not all great at everything and I like that you look out for the cook or the doctor if your a construction worker etc.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 3

If someone made a first- or third-person Project Zomboid game with Unreal Engine I might be able to die happy.

Edited by scriptfactory

Yeah. I would say that the whole discussion is useless, as we only have to check PZ to see what works with character value. I just saw the game after your post, and it's really amazing how detailed and realistic is everything there!  Even the skill system I would dream to have in DayZ. 

Even if Dayz just takes 50% of what PZ has would make it the best survival game out there. 

• Like 2

Sorry for being another one back seat dev.... just for fun

One particular spawning of character in DayZ shouldn't have big value, because then it would ultimately increase KOS, hiding and camping.

But there should be global continuous value of the character tied to steam acc, and perhaps player should be able to have a few... There should be some kind of rankings, statistics... karma rankings, hero rankings... a rewards for bandit killing certain ranking player, a rewards for hero killing a bandit. Different kinds of rankings/statistics as: total achievements; achievements per single run/ achievements per month and so on...  For example higher ranking player should be more rewarding to fight down, and it should be multiplied by the level of gear which would be present on active spawned character (fresh spawn of high rank player shouldn't be worth very much more than average player, but as he would get geared up it should be more and more rewarding to kill him). I could continue on this forever... easy to be back seat dev, maybe easy to do bad decisions too though... Obviously not only killing should matter, helping someone should be rewarding too. I really think that these type of things will be flowing into DayZ rapidly as soon as core will be ready, and gameplay will be much better than it ever was. Speed of development, horribly failed "internal" roadmaps, and some other questionable stuff doesn't help to believe, but DayZ can be 10/10. 

I do think that players shouldn't be encouraged staying alive as long as possible, unless it woul become actually very challenging one day finally.

But I'm sure some kind of this will come into DayZ towards 1.0, if we'll ever see it finished. And then it will be a blast, there will be finally a real goal, other than just to gear up, kill, and die, there will be some actual meaning in it.

I didn't really read most of the thread yet, really sorry about it.

Edited by Mantasisg

2 hours ago, Mantasisg said:

I do think that players shouldn't be encouraged staying alive as long as possible, unless it woul become actually very challenging one day finally.

Hmmm..  

Question, where is the meaning in a game from the genre "Survival" ?

Hmmm, at the head scratch.......

Defining a value for a character is not easy. The value should primarily contribute to the fact that we as a player feel our character as valuable. This should not however be in the form of rank lists and awards, because this leads to the first misuse. A value must exist in the game itself. A very complicated task for the Devs that the value can not become divine exploitation. But one thing it must contain and this is in my opinion the time of survival .. one of the basic values. The game must be so that all players must fight this value ... together against the deadly world of Chernarus.

Yes it has to be a game, and survival itself is not a game. You can stay hidden for hours, come out at night, search for loot, spend hours making sure that town is empty, examining it, studying zombies behavior, then going in and hoping to get lucky, and trying to get back into your safe spot. It is not a game this way, first of all nobody would have time for it, and it is not fun. You can also survive a lot longer in low populated servers, it is easy in full servers too though, you just need to be a little bit careful, avoid players - which is easy.

I don't understand people who are happy about this game pace. It is like real, I don't have twenty hours of spare time to hide in virtual world just to experience a bit of danger once.

You know what can be done in case of emergency, when after hours of being alone you meet danger ? - Logging off. Switching server. That is it - you survived. 

There has to be something driving people not only to survive for longer, but also to get into action as much as possible. Then there will be a gameplay. It could be more intense player oppositions, more severe environment, goals to be better bandit, goals to be better hero, saving something important from other players somewhere in Novo, for example.... and so on. Just not trying to stay alive for days, and avoiding player contacts all the time. Pure survival means pure hiding, pure boredom and just rare episodes of being exposed in danger. You can do it in real life if you want, stay in bushes till its dark and then get some apples - thats it its DayZ, and with real life graphics, no bugs.

I really don't say to throw survival through the window, but it is too much "just existing" right now. I bought dayz to get into difficult situations, negotiate for my and others lifes, make friends and enemies... Not just running around for hours and getting KOS'ed after getting bored (not being careful). I want interactions, I want to speak damn English better lol I want goals. 

Consider average life expectancy (without suicides for better spawn) would be 20minutes, consider staying alive for 2 hours would be very valuable. Its the value to look for, it has to be the time being alive. If you stay alive for 10hours because you haven't met anyone and stood extremely cautious all the time in 10 people server it is not an achievement, it is time spent wrong way.

• Like 2