Hello,

The logs have been terrible since the day they launched and have gotten worse over time.

Not only do the logs decide to work when they want to (not all events that are supposed to be in the logs actually show), but also when something happens its a wall of text making it very hard on the eyes.

The below causes of death are not visible...

Deaths by:

• Grenade
  • Poison
  • Explosion
  • Being Run Over
  • Illness
  • Land Mines
  • Bear Traps
  • (I'll update this as I remember, having a hard time remember every type of death that doesn't show in logs)

...they do NOT show up in the logs.

We had a Carpet Bombing incident last night on two of our servers and I literally spent 5+ hours parsing logs to find out who it was. One log in particular has 3000 lines of log. I reduced that to 33 suspects. When the hacker in question came back I reduced that 33 to 5 possible suspects. Then from 5 to 2 after considering what they were doing in game as well as what their Steam accounts looked like (hacker accounts have a certain look on Steam), and then finally 1 that was present during all incidents on both servers. 3000 lines for one log, I did a few logs.

No server Admin should EVER have to spend 5 hours of their precious time on Earth parsing logs to catch a hacker. If the logs were working properly, I could have POLICED MY OWN PROJECT in the flick of a wrist.

There should be custom parameters for server renters to check off like a radial thingy. Maybe I don't want to see who's connecting and disconnecting, maybe I don't want to see chat logs in my log, maybe I want one long log and not a new log every restart. Let the end user choose how they want to see the logs because every project is set up differently.

Also,

Lets get some world space coords going in a log that's viewable. We got people glitching into buildings, bases, etc and there is very little that can be done besides additional investigations of who's on and questioning.

What I want to see?

Joe Schmo moves from xxx/yyy to xxx/yyy. Joe Schomo drinks sods @ xxx/yyy. Something...anything.

Server renters, feel free to add to this post. 

What do you want to see in the logs?

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Like 4

I think definitely more Server Admins Tools are needed in this game. You can´t control a lots of things with the actual logs and that’s a free path for hackers, KOS players (on RP servers) and glichers. Have my vote.

More possibilities or data in the logs also has the consequence that it is made more shit by "certain admins". Therefore better logs only for private servers because here usually a community behind stands the Admin abuse with "leave" punish.

37 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

More possibilities or data in the logs also has the consequence that it is made more shit by "certain admins". Therefore better logs only for private servers because here usually a community behind stands the Admin abuse with "leave" punish.

There will always be admins that abuse tools, but that's no reason to limit the tools and have crappy tools that don't even work as a consolation. Communities with legitimate poor administration will fold in on themselves and the player base will move on to communities that don't have poor administration. That's the organic process. If you limit the tools completely, you destroy the player base completely...over time it WILL happen.

Some DayZ Staff have talked about this and how it killed the mod, which isn't true. What really killed the mod was micro-transactions, servers piecing out items for sale, and donor load outs. 500+ vehicles, custom loadout, donor loadout, selling cars, selling everything. Smaller communities couldn't compete with that and flourish.

I give you absolutely right, and I am also for more logs and better logs. I expressed my concern only with Public Server. With private it is just as you say, comes to the abuse, then it is her it Russian roulette. Public is usually the starting point of new players, and there are not so many new ones, to the few you should take care of something. Therefore Vote for more & better Log on Private Hives.

I like the ideas of admin tools. What I think would also be cool is a sort of "oracle mode" like from Halo...

Just basically vanish and lose the character model, noclip and fly around the map at choice speed, and inspect players items, see names, see health, see status, ping, be able to open individual player logs, and even alter physical attributes about the players character as well.

Definitely need more logs. Beans to you, sir

21 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

I give you absolutely right, and I am also for more logs and better logs. I expressed my concern only with Public Server. With private it is just as you say, comes to the abuse, then it is her it Russian roulette. Public is usually the starting point of new players, and there are not so many new ones, to the few you should take care of something. Therefore Vote for more & better Log on Private Hives.

Sure, if you're saying reserve the better tools for Private Shards...I totally agree. In DayZ Mod, if you rented a Private Hive you got a live interactive map (with trace routes) that showed players locations on a 15 second delay. This was a much better solution to admin tools and floating around invisible (which was heavily abused).

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

There actually exist tools that filter, organize info without having to dig in that "wall of text". 

And here i was thinking you were going to complain about the logs burning too quickly ingame.