Sign in to follow this  
Ketran

Why can't I tear rags with an axe?

It's all in the title really, I don't know why an axe isn't treated as a sharp object, or a pickaxe for that matter, or a crowbar, or an ice axe, the list goes on. You used to be able to tear rags with your hands, like you can in actual life, so why can't you anymore? I just bled to death because I inexplicably could not tear up a t-shirt with an axe to bandage myself.

You CAN tear rags with an ax.

Well, at least I can.

I suspect you might have been making a procedural error in your attempts to make rags, or that there was some other mitigating factor like poor server performance/bugged hands.

I usually make rags with the ax on my back, by dragging clothing onto the ax.  What type of clothing were you trying to cut into rags, if I may ask?

Make a stone knife, it's the first thing i make when i spawn in the server, it cuts rags , opens cans , cuts sticks,cuts off a branch, cuts infected and players, in other words it's the best tool you can start off with.

Not sure about this but maybe the axe was ruined?

Makes sense to me.

Most axes/splitters will be blunt in the apocalypse and modern(ish) clothing will be reasonably strong. A t-shirt however should be tearable by hand. I know because I'm sitting at work trying to rip everything I'm wearing..

Depending on condition, blunted tools should require sharpening, which could even increase the chance of cutting ourselves when performing actions. Make sure you're wearing work gloves?

10 hours ago, emuthreat said:

You CAN tear rags with an ax.

Well, at least I can.

I suspect you might have been making a procedural error in your attempts to make rags, or that there was some other mitigating factor like poor server performance/bugged hands.

I usually make rags with the ax on my back, by dragging clothing onto the ax.  What type of clothing were you trying to cut into rags, if I may ask?

Really? No such option presented itself to me, I was trying with a pristine splitting axe. I've always right-clicked the clothing and chosen the tear into rags option, I tried it with the axe on my back and the axe in my hands but there was nothing to click. However if I do the same with a machete they option is right there. I was trying to tear a regular old pristine t-shirt, the one you start with.

Edited by Ketran

Only thing would be network, cancel action glitch, axe or shirt ruined.  If you drag the axe over to the t-shirt it will not make rags if you are wearing it.    

Edited by atomquark

I think he still had the shirt on his back, You have to actually take your shirt off then drag it on the axe.

I didn't have it on my back, like I said I had it in my inventory and tried right clicking on it with axe in hand and without, but no option displayed

Did you try dragging clothing to the axe in your inventory?.. I'll try it out when I'm in-game next anyhow and get back to you.

That has solved the problem, I just found it strange that where I always used to right click to tear, that in this very desperate situation that it didn't happen. It seems to work some of the time, possibly a bug? God knows this game has enough of them.

Dragging clothing onto the axe or the axe onto the clothing works for me.. hopefully you've sorted the issue out by the sounds of it. 

6 hours ago, Ketran said:

That has solved the problem, I just found it strange that where I always used to right click to tear, that in this very desperate situation that it didn't happen. It seems to work some of the time, possibly a bug? God knows this game has enough of them.

I believe for you to be able to just right click it you need to have the cutting tool in hand at the time, which make sense

14 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I believe for you to be able to just right click it you need to have the cutting tool in hand at the time, which make sense

I did, I tried with and without