Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

[0.62] Early Preview Broadleaf + Grass Shader

Looks like they already have the new HUD and Stamina system in place. . That would be an interesting addition to .62 O.o

• Like 3

Looks interesting. I'm curious to know if .62 will fix that issue where distant tree shaders flutter back and forth between various distance based blurry/more defined images.

• Like 1

I know it's early, but I really don't see much of a difference. I've been waiting like a dog since the day (November 4th, 2014) Torchia said they were redoing the tree's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2l93uf/dayz_developer_ama_chris_torchia_art_lead/

I don't want to be a debbie downer (because I have been complaining a lot as compared to never) and I really believe the devs have been doing a great job for the most part. When I saw this Tweet from Senchi...

me2J3zC.jpg

...I really was excited and I was reassured that the devs, like always, are moving in the right direction. I read the Tweet and understand having realistic expectations, but the video ^ doesn't look like much of improvement than what we currently have and nothing remotely close to what Senchi wishing for. Maybe I'm jumping on this too quick and I'll be the first to apologize when something awesome is the finished product. I just feel like I have to say something.

A big thing people complain erroneously about is why are we getting new clothes all the time and not a fixed game? I always defend them (the dev team) with the art guys don't do the code (or fixes) y'all are complaining about...they make art and that's all folks. Now when its time for the awesome art devs to shine, we get more of the same. Ok, the bark looks different but not really the improvement I was expecting and I really try to not have high expectations. The grass looks almost the same and the leaves on the tree tops still look the same. Tree's have looked the same as the mod and it makes the game look old as dirt. We got the new engine, new renderer, we need a new environment. Arma 3 leaf textures are still way beyond anything in SA. SA needs something bigger than what Arma 3 has.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Like 5

I think it's actually a pretty large change as to how far away forest foilage can be seen has been focusedly increased. Also the leaves and grass all seem to move indepedently of the base plant they're attached to. A definite improvement!

I think this would have been more exciting had it been a wideshot of a forest from the outside or a large forest span. Lots more movement all around in the forest will probably be a trick to the eyes and cause a ton of paranoia.. especially if the foilage and leaves respond to different simulated gusts of wind.

Also, the more I look at it, the better it looks. You kind of have to scan everything indepedently, but its hella impressive. (Now just waiting for snow. .)

Edited by Espa
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

-Snip-

Something else to think about is that picture had Green leaves, which come in the more Spring/Summer time in DayZ, whereas the orangey red is their Fall/Winter weather :)

• Like 2

@Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

It looks the same because of the lighting. Also because of just that scene consisting of very few bushes/clutter. (Similar to the birch trees up north of cherno)

The game suffers from the lack of a more global lighting like darker shadows appearing in areas with little to no exposure to light. (Like indoors)

This makes the scene look very flat which is what most people would feel when they see it.

EDIT: Found something i saw on UE forums ages ago and finally found the vid.

Obviously, its UE and i'm expecting too much from DayZ's engine in its stage but ONE CAN DREAM OK!?

@Espa 

Also the leaves and grass all seem to move indepedently of the base plant they're attached to

I don't think that's right. They move the same, even the trees swaying are moving as one rather than separate branches and leaves.

Edited by DannyDog
  • Like 5

Seems like I'm going to need to buy a new laptop

• Like 2

All i care about, is that both players can hide and be seen hidden in the grass.

Otherwise we look like a rock laying down at 400m in the woods currently. Currently we can wave to someone and they are seen a 1km away, its so flat.

Then up the basic requirements past normal so they can not reduce graphics.

Too many exploits now, as a target.

• Like 3

With the hiding in the grass, it looks only clever but is stupid. Just because the grass is not rendered very far. Who is lying in the grass should also be "invisible or very difficult to recognize". Unfortunately, the result is again a disbalance with 1pp / 3pp ... except when 1pp the char is so hidden as it is in grass and with 3pp as Visible as Now.

Edited by Sqeezorz

I'm sorry Weyland, but that is a major improvement.

What the devs need to do is have a side by side comparison (same PC, same settings ingame etc) to showcase the drastic differences.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mad Scientist said:

I'm sorry Weyland, but that is a major improvement.

What the devs need to do is have a side by side comparison (same PC, same settings ingame etc) to showcase the drastic differences.

In terms of the new tree models they look great.

Something about the whole scene however looks off. I reckon its just the lighting.

• Like 3

Well fine. Force me to buy a new GPU then!

Looks amazing!

Edited by escobert

Thanks for sharing.

Anyone else notice the disease icon in the HUD?

Nice addition....

• Like 2