Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

What do you think about other crafting options? What ideas do you have?

I was thinking about tanning leather, and how needing to have an oil barrel seems very limiting for dayz. I see loads of things around the map that would work, but we have no options currently to use them and I have not heard much talk about world containers and their uses as of lately. My thoughts were, we should be able to tan leather inside of waterproof backpacks (dry bag), gas containers, and other items that would be waterproof. 

But then I thought, why stop there? Why shouldnt we have multiple options for crafting items (certain items, not all)? I mean, I could craft a fireplace from a spare tire, a t-shirt and some matches IRL, among many other options. There could be benefits and drawbacks to this. Chance of getting sick from food, or being near the fire for too long if its made from toxic materials. I can think of lots of other things that could be crafted in other ways, if the devs allowed us to eventually.

What ideas can you think of? Post your thoughts on this.. maybe one day the BI devs or some modder will put one of them into the game. 

Edited by lrishjake
  • Like 3

we have tons of leather now, i would like to make a quiver to hold at least 20 arrows after all a box of 308 holds 20 rounds and only takes one slot in a back pack. 20 arrows takes 8 slots . 

• Like 2

I want to see some medical crafting personally. It would be great if we could gather different herbs and plants to make things like antibiotics or pain killers. I may actually start a farm if we can get something from it besides food :)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JBURNS489 said:

I want to see some medical crafting personally. It would be great if we could gather different herbs and plants to make things like antibiotics or pain killers. I may actually start a farm if we can get something from it besides food :)

They added this into the official mod back a while ago.. there were herbs that you could farm off of the ground, to eventually make medical items essentially. I can remember bleeding to death, trying to find the last herb I needed to craft a bandage.. I died and it was so much fun. 

36 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

we have tons of leather now, i would like to make a quiver to hold at least 20 arrows after all a box of 308 holds 20 rounds and only takes one slot in a back pack. 20 arrows takes 8 slots . 

It seems completely reasonable that we should be able to craft a quiver at some point. I only hope it hasnt escaped them thinking of it. Good idea! 

In real l life, there are plenty of ways to make leather. One particularly-simple method uses a mixture of brains and fats, rubbed into the hide. Requiring the player to find and use a barrel is unnecessarily limiting.

There is also rope/cordage from rawhide (cut it into strips), sinew, twisted grass and bark.

There are also cooking pots from birchbark, folded and sewn into a waterproof container.

There are shoes from rubber, say from a tire, and rags.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

In real l life, there are plenty of ways to make leather. One particularly-simple method uses a mixture of brains and fats, rubbed into the hide. Requiring the player to find and use a barrel is unnecessarily limiting.

There is also rope/cordage from rawhide (cut it into strips), sinew, twisted grass and bark.

There are also cooking pots from birchbark, folded and sewn into a waterproof container.

There are shoes from rubber, say from a tire, and rags.

See, such great ideas! Also, I think this is the direction they could have gone with soft skills. Along these routes at least.. they could have made it so you essentially discover new ways to craft things, or make so that each time you make something its better. 

First cooking pot, only holds a little bit.. after making 3 or 4 of them, you've got a huge cooking pot that can hold a lot. This could apply to all sorts of crafted items. 

crafting poison :-)  and more type of traps.  for animals of course. :-p

• Like 1

In the future there will be "crafted containers".

I believe it has something to do with the crafting stations which you will find across Chernarus. So probably you'll be able to craft your tanned leather there. It might also mean that there will be static barrels which can't be picked up and only be used to tan leather or something.

• Like 1

I love all of the items we are able to craft now, which gives the game a great sandbox feel out the gate. As Green Grand Bob mentioned, crafting a leather quiver to house arrows would be wonderful. 

I would love to be able to craft a leather rain pancho, which could be awesome looking. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wolf of Thorns said:

I would love to be able to craft a leather rain pancho, which could be awesome looking. 

That would be really nice.. great idea, Wolf

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 2:35 PM, lrishjake said:

I was thinking about tanning leather, and how needing to have an oil barrel seems very limiting for dayz. I see loads of things around the map that would work, but we have no options currently to use them and I have not heard much talk about world containers and their uses as of lately. My thoughts were, we should be able to tan leather inside of waterproof backpacks (dry bag), gas containers, and other items that would be waterproof. 

But then I thought, why stop there? Why shouldnt we have multiple options for crafting items (certain items, not all)? I mean, I could craft a fireplace from a spare tire, a t-shirt and some matches IRL, among many other options. There could be benefits and drawbacks to this. Chance of getting sick from food, or being near the fire for too long if its made from toxic materials. I can think of lots of other things that could be crafted in other ways, if the devs allowed us to eventually.

What ideas can you think of? Post your thoughts on this.. maybe one day the BI devs or some modder will put one of them into the game. 

Once i get into Survive the Nights, ill let you know what it is like to craft.

• Like 1

They're going to have to draw a line somewhere between gamey and complete IRL freedom to "McGyver" it, I have a feeling there's much more in store for crafting but it's still going to be A+B=C recipes in the base game anyway.

As far as the toxic smoke making you sick, unless your burning the galv off those milk pails and huffing the fumes (headache, dizziness, nausea, lethargy, lasting a day or so mitigated by drinking lots of milk aparently)  I don't see them making a game version of the cumulative nature of that type of exposure, unless your character last twenty years and starts waking up achy lethargic from the repeated exposure.  

1 hour ago, BCBasher said:

They're going to have to draw a line somewhere between gamey and complete IRL freedom to "McGyver" it, I have a feeling there's much more in store for crafting but it's still going to be A+B=C recipes in the base game anyway.

As far as the toxic smoke making you sick, unless your burning the galv off those milk pails and huffing the fumes (headache, dizziness, nausea, lethargy, lasting a day or so mitigated by drinking lots of milk aparently)  I don't see them making a game version of the cumulative nature of that type of exposure, unless your character last twenty years and starts waking up achy lethargic from the repeated exposure.  

You've obviously had your coffee today. 

• Like 1

Hoagie, Hero, Poor-Boy, Blimpie, Grinder, Torpedo, Submarine Sandwich; call it what you want. This game needs the ability to craft a delicious sandwich with all the fixin's; including dijon mustard.

I'll even settle for a Dagwood, if french rolls are too much to ask...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

Hoagie, Hero, Poor-Boy, Blimpie, Grinder, Torpedo, Submarine Sandwich; call it what you want. This game needs the ability to craft a delicious sandwich with all the fixin's; including dijon mustard.

You just made me hungry,

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

Along these lines:

COOKING.'

Currently, we can boil food, and we can bake/roast food...... woop de fucking do. Not the most exciting thing in the world, is it?

Why include the mechanic if we are going to be able to do a grand total of 2 godamn things with it?

As far as I know, we still can't even cook rice or add water to powdered milk.

3 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

Along these lines:

COOKING.'

Currently, we can boil food, and we can bake/roast food...... woop de fucking do. Not the most exciting thing in the world, is it?

Why include the mechanic if we are going to be able to do a grand total of 2 godamn things with it?

As far as I know, we still can't even cook rice or add water to powdered milk.

AFAIK these features are the result of being in Alpha where features and systems are rudimentarily implemented to show concept or test in a live version.

And the argument can be made to say "why did they spend the time on these useless features and work on more important ones like the player controller or renderer?".

But were not entitled to know the answer to that. We should just be glad they're working on the major features now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DannyDog said:

AFAIK these features are the result of being in Alpha where features and systems are rudimentarily implemented to show concept or test in a live version.

And the argument can be made to say "why did they spend the time on these useless features and work on more important ones like the player controller or renderer?".

But were not entitled to know the answer to that. We should just be glad they're working on the major features now.

Again, with the overabundance of coffee. 

Danny Dog is already right. The old system is not capable of this amount of crafting possibilities. It will look quite different with the new controller. Posting ideas here is certainly a nice thing, but we can not go out of the game's current version. I have the feeling that exactly in this direction the game also leaves many ways open future for modding. So has pure ideas ... I like all the suggestions here.

;)