Sign in to follow this  
oldfossil

Weird fact...(Wolves)

Hi everyboby,

yesterday while I was walking in the middle of the Chernorus territory I heard the frightening howling of a pack of wolves, so I prepared myself for a sudden attack trying to get shelter into the nearest building available (a small wooden house) I waited for a long time inside the building, but nothing happened... does someone nave had the same experience? Could maybe I have heard some pack hunting for another nearby player or group?

Could have been another player or a zombie.

Ive had that happen several times, and also different variations of that behavior. There have been times I heard the howl but not the wolves, and there have been times I dont hear a howl at all and suddenly a pack of wolves is at my heels

• Like 2

It could have been another player or you might have escaped their detection.  I've escaped packs after hearing the howls a few times.  As soon as I hear the howls I stop and hightail in the opposite direction that I had approached, a 180.    I'm not 100% sure if line-of-sight has anything to do with their detection but I think it does.  I try to use hills, trees and bushes as cover just as I would do trying to avoid a pack of players, then after a few minutes I hunker down somewhere out of sight.

From what I understand that's how wolves work. You shouldn't hear wolves howling in close proximity to you. My guess is 300 meters in-game. Wolves don't howl to attack. Its more like for coms to find those lost from the pack, anxiety over missing loved ones, territorial warning, sometimes the alpha male will bark to get the attention of a female. Different frequencies for different purposes as well. Mostly, howling is long-distance communication. Sometimes they bark as a pack for motivational purposes.

Howls during the day are rumored to be rabid. Very interesting critters!

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

Does nobody WOBO?

Edited by lrishjake