Tatanko

All-New Player Health Guide (0.61)

vKoS8Eal.jpg

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Character_Status

I flipped the switch on this extremely revised article this morning. It's the result of months of playtesting, data mining, writing, etc. It was done entirely within the scope of DayZ 0.61, so all of the information is verified to be current.

Of course I'm going to be biased in saying this, but I don't believe you'll find a more comprehensive single source of information anywhere else at the moment. THAT SAID, please don't hesitate to point out anything I might have missed. Thanks for reading! :)

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 10

Just done with reading it good job.  I noticed you forgot (?) to add gas poisoning.

Edited by yazar8

7 minutes ago, yazar8 said:

Just done with reading it good job.  I noticed you forgot (?) to add gas poisoning.

Thanks! Now you know (part of) why I have been so busy :p

Gas poisoning is chemical poisoning for the purposes of this guide. I don't think I outright stated that anywhere however, so it may be worth adding a mention of that.

• Like 1

Well done Tatanko - this will make an excellent reference!

A question regarding body temperature:  

Does keeping warm items in your inventory (recently cooked meat, a warm cookpot, etc) contribute towards raising your body temp and/or wet status?

16 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

Well done Tatanko - this will make an excellent reference!

Does keeping warm items in your inventory (recently cooked meat, a warm cookpot, etc) contribute towards raising your body temp and/or wet status?

Leave it to Gary to find the one thing I don't have an answer to! ;)

I'm not sure, to be honest. Given my understanding of how fireplaces work, I want to say yes, but I truly don't know. Time to investigate!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

I'm absolutely sure that hot cooking pots warm up a lot - in fact, it more than outweighs the temperature drop when 'drenched' in 0.61 - have checked that when there was that status window in the beginning.

And I'm also fairly certain that warm items have nothing to do with wet status, but you may want to double-check that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

And I'm also fairly certain that warm items have nothing to do with wet status, but you may want to double-check that.

This is what I was getting at, thank you. For sure warm items will contribute to your body temperature, just not sure about their effect on humidity.

• Like 1

I asked on reddit, but people here should know too..

Is it confirmed that pond water can make you sick? And do purification tablets work to clean the water making it safe to drink?

Edited by lrishjake

24 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

I asked on reddit, but people here should know too..

Is it confirmed that pond water can make you sick? And do purification tablets work to clean the water making it safe to drink?

Yes. Yes. My advice is getting a gas canister and filling it with water then purifying it. Then you have an almost infinite water source.

However, I've not gotten sick from drinking pond water yet when I'm fully energized, hydrated and healthy. That being directly drinking from the pond, though but I don't think that would matter.

Edited by yazar8
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Yes on both counts.  I've never gotten sick from stream/pond water when I had a healthy status and I drink directly from ponds very frequently (when healthy).  I have gotten sick a few times only after taking damage and/or blood loss and then drinking from a pond before getting healthy.  I've never gotten sick from pond water after using purification tabs, I might be going out on a limb here but in my own experience purification tabs work %100 of the time.

And good advice from yazar8 if you have camp then keep a gasoline canister.  One purification tab will purify all 20 liters.

• Like 1

I just thought of one more factor that plays into the Cholera situation: being Healthy gives a huge boost to your disease resistance. Drinking pond water while Healthy is significantly safer than without that status.

Thanks for taking the time to make this guide tatanko.

But are you saying that the old bone stat video by wobo quite a while ago is now wrong and the bone state definitely does regen now?

His tests in his video proved they didn't regen.  Did you perform these same tests to ensure it does regen?

13 minutes ago, thebaddestass said:

Thanks for taking the time to make this guide tatanko.

But are you saying that the old bone stat video by wobo quite a while ago is now wrong and the bone state definitely does regen now?

His tests in his video proved they didn't regen.  Did you perform these same tests to ensure it does regen?

His original video states that it does not regen, and then his later video (which was made after changes occurred to the game) states that it does. As far as I know that hasn't changed.

2 hours ago, Tatanko said:

I just thought of one more factor that plays into the Cholera situation: being Healthy gives a huge boost to your disease resistance. Drinking pond water while Healthy is significantly safer than without that status.

I would really, really like to know the exact chance for catching cholera when healthy. Can we pry this info from somewhere?

Really solid work as always Tatanko!

I like the timing of this as lately I've been thinking a lot about our damage system and where it ought to be headed (see my recent thread on starvation). As far as I'm aware an improved injury, damage, disease, and health system is set to be designed/implemented at some point in the future so I reckon it might be a good time for some community input in that regard.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

His original video states that it does not regen, and then his later video (which was made after changes occurred to the game) states that it does. As far as I know that hasn't changed.

BTW, very good job. I always appreciate your input. I hope I'll help you with your research once we get to 1.0. I did a lot of study on my own which after some time was outdated, so I decided to wait for the final release. 

Keep it up!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tatanko said:

Ah, I wasn't aware there was a follow up video to that.  I will have to look that up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I would really, really like to know the exact chance for catching cholera when healthy. Can we pry this info from somewhere?

I'll have to keep digging. There was some old, leftover data on the original wiki health pages but I was never able to track down where it came from to verify it's accuracy.

Very nice guide Tatanko and very helpful for new or inexperienced players. Even though I knew most of this information I learned a few things like the heart attack when unconscious.

6 hours ago, Tatanko said:

Thanks! Now you know (part of) why I have been so busy :p

Gas poisoning is chemical poisoning for the purposes of this guide. I don't think I outright stated that anywhere however, so it may be worth adding a mention of that.

I picked up a gasoline canister yesterday and when scrolling through the action menu I accidentally drank the whole 4 liters instead of emptying the vessel. I think it was Sanguine who advised me to eat charcoal tablets which cured it. Of course I was curious so I digged through the game files and saw that drinking gasoline will give medium food poisoning.

6 hours ago, Tatanko said:

Leave it to Gary to find the one thing I don't have an answer to! ;)

I'm not sure, to be honest. Given my understanding of how fireplaces work, I want to say yes, but I truly don't know. Time to investigate!

I believe it does because when I had a full ghillie suit and I cooked some meat I put the cooking pot in my SMERSH vest with backpack. After sprinting I suddenly got the "My face is smelting" message and was losing health and blood. When removing the cooking pot from my inventory it stopped. I believe it was Thurman Merman who tested it without the ghillie suit and didn't get that message.

So I would say yes, hot items do raise temperature of your character.

1 hour ago, Tatanko said:

I'll have to keep digging. There was some old, leftover data on the original wiki health pages but I was never able to track down where it came from to verify it's accuracy.

I drink a lot from ponds but only when healthy and I haven't caught cholera yet so either there is a very small chance to catch it when healthy or your completely resistant to it at that point. I might dig into the game files again to see if it mentions anything about it.

Also I believe after my last research on cholera and starvingart's personal experience that the disease can be transferred through tainted sources (water bottles, canteens, cooking pot, etc.). Maybe that's something worth mentioning. I also discovered that when you catch cholera your immune to the disease for a period of time.

In my opinion, cholera is the worst disease out there at the moment. Once you fought it you'll be careful next time you want to drink from a pond. It requires sitting still (to consume less water) for a long period of time and managing your vitals constantly in order to stay alive. I came to the point where I fell unconscious but I decided to wait and was lucky that I went to the next stage where I lost less blood so my blood went above 500 again and I regained consciousness. Having the full natural blood regeneration when having cholera is critical in order to survive and unfortunately there is no cure (yet) so it's a real pain to have this disease.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tatanko said:

This should help?

BV9ZdtU.jpg

x8W6rg7.jpg

nxrXh5F.jpg

Looks like Wobo made it up ("Just speculation") and changed it to Vital Organ Damage ^ (Spinal Fracture>Bone Density>Vital Organ Damage...3 different claims?). Hicks didn't confirm it and says the video was taken out of context. We do an event called Friday Night Fights and people die in the 1st couple of landed punches, fresh, all the time. Looks more like a super punch which is a real life thing...I used to box with an nationally ranked amateur that did 10 years for killing someone in a bar fight with a single punch.

A few weeks ago, I was killed fresh on 2 occasions by an infected and a wolf after 1 punch...then later on by 1 bite.

EDIT: Also, if you tab out your health status won't change for a long time possibly not at all. 

I've tabbed out a few x and came back (for way more than 4 hours), tabbed in, and all health status' were the same...injured or healthy. So Wobo sitting in a bush for 4 hours, he had to be tabbed out otherwise he would have died. Retreating, the tabbed out status thing has been around for a very long time.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

There definitely is a very small (possibly tiny, teeny) chance of catching cholera from pond water when fully healthy - or at least there was in 0.58 when I almost died from it.

And whatever the debate about bone health, I could absolutely swear I'd seen somewhere that that had been 'fixed' in .60 or .61. Perhaps these are the 'changes' to which Tatanko refers.

12 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

This should help?

It's hard to nail down what to call it or how to present it, so I made a decision and this is what I ended up with. Really it could be seen as an extension of the Health stat, particularly because the game refers to limb damage and other specific areas (what we're referring to here as "bone") with the term "hitpoints".

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that for this particular section we're operating in a kind of grey area. I did my best to present what I found through my own testing and, more importantly, what I could find myself in the configuration data.

13 hours ago, Tatanko said:

It's hard to nail down what to call it or how to present it, so I made a decision and this is what I ended up with. Really it could be seen as an extension of the Health stat, particularly because the game refers to limb damage and other specific areas (what we're referring to here as "bone") with the term "hitpoints".

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that for this particular section we're operating in a kind of grey area. I did my best to present what I found through my own testing and, more importantly, what I could find myself in the configuration data.

Hit Points are disabled and have been for quite some time. Wouldn't that mean the death from a single blow has nothing to do with limb damage or hit points? Here is a limb shot sample from one of my server logs:

A (uid=xxx) SHOT B (uid=xx) by ShotgunIzh43_Sawedoff into rightleg

STATUS S::400 B::4800 H::4680 HP::0

STATUS S::1200 B::4400 H::4280 HP::0

STATUS S::1600 B::4200 H::4080 HP::0

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding something.

On 4.3.2017 at 6:46 AM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

nxrXh5F.jpg

he is wrong.

when you get the "helathy" status you are at 5000 blood and 5000 health.

easy to see in exp. branch.

blood<5000 and health < 5000, but hydrated and bright energized: no status in inventory, but blood regenerating 3/sec.

blood=5000 and health < 5000, but hydrated and bright energized: healing status in inventory and health regenerating 1/sec.

blood=5000 and health = 5000, "Healthy"

nevertheless, i don't think this was more than a normal (weird) bug.

So does the bone stat exist or is it just a rumour? I must say this concept (assuming the stat doesn't regenerate) really did affect my in-game behaviour many times.