Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Don't Make Steering Wheels Props

Presently in Day Z, if you attempt to turn your vehicle the character will actually turn the wheel, and it is the wheel turning that actually turns the wheels of the car. The wheel actually functions as a tool that operates the wheels, just like in real life. I've always thought this was a fascinating aspect of Day Z and Arma games in general. Developers are presently in the process of changing this so that players directly control the car, not the character behind the wheel. Please guys, DON'T do this! Desyncing doesn't have anything to do with this issue, and I don't think the marginal improvement in response time is worth dumping an awesome and unique game mechanic.

Arma games have always prided themselves on being deep. To quote the Arma 3 steam trailer, "you are not just a floating gun head." You are a real character interacting with your environment in real ways. For example, if you bring your gun sites to your face, you are actually looking down the sites of the gun, not just some fake picture of a gun that appears in front of your face. To remove this aspect of Day Z is to diminish it's value in my opinion. 

Edited by Solopopo

Uh... there are no rack and pinion physics, it's just synced animations. Seems like you misinterpreted this quote:

Status Report, 24 January 2017:

"About the new player controller - we are finishing network synchronization of our new animation system. The next step will be the ability to control vehicles using the new character. This will be another big change, because now you are controlling the vehicle directly and character inside vehicle is controlled by vehicle simulation. This change will simplify vehicle synchronization and can also introduce some more options for modding."

2 hours ago, Solopopo said:

I don't think the marginal improvement in response time is worth dumping an awesome and unique game mechanic.

By "response time" I assume you are referring to the delay as the character turns the wheel. I believe that is there to allow users of WASD or arrow keys to drive a bit more smoothly (in theory). From ARMA 3 devs:

"[. . .] pressing turn keys gradually turns the steering wheel, which prevents over-steering the vehicle."

If I understand correctly, you have assumed the player gives the input "steer" to his character, and the character then steers the car's wheel, and that is the reason for the delayed steering—but that's not the case.

Hopefully the end result is more controllable. A party bus is supposed to be fun!

3EP36ah.jpg

• Like 2

The whole make so synonymous sense, if the character in the future a "gentle movement" control gets. This is also transferred to vehicles and does not have to be programmed twice.

Edited by Sqeezorz

On 3/2/2017 at 10:28 PM, -Gews- said:

Uh... there are no rack and pinion physics, it's just synced animations. Seems like you misinterpreted this quote:

Status Report, 24 January 2017:

"About the new player controller - we are finishing network synchronization of our new animation system. The next step will be the ability to control vehicles using the new character. This will be another big change, because now you are controlling the vehicle directly and character inside vehicle is controlled by vehicle simulation. This change will simplify vehicle synchronization and can also introduce some more options for modding."

By "response time" I assume you are referring to the delay as the character turns the wheel. I believe that is there to allow users of WASD or arrow keys to drive a bit more smoothly (in theory). From ARMA 3 devs:

"[. . .] pressing turn keys gradually turns the steering wheel, which prevents over-steering the vehicle."

If I understand correctly, you have assumed the player gives the input "steer" to his character, and the character then steers the car's wheel, and that is the reason for the delayed steering—but that's not the case.

Hopefully the end result is more controllable. A party bus is supposed to be fun!

I might be misinterpreting something similar that I read but I don't think it's that passage in particular. Thanks for the info.