BeefBacon

I give up on military bases.

I recently got back into DayZ. Don't know why, just sort of had a hankering for it - I'll probably play for a few more days and then give it a rest again. I last played a couple of months ago and I'm just as big of a babby now as I was then.

I hate going to military locations. They're fucking stressful. Every now and then I'll suck it up and go for one - usually because I just happened to wander near it (or, on a couple of occasions, actually accidentally stumbled into one) so I figure I'll take the risk and go looting.

What do I find?

Fuck all.

A green sweatshirt, a pen, a stripped-down AK-74 and a pair of badly damaged boots. Every time. Every base I visit. Nada. I went to the Zelenogorsk base last night and came across a warzone - I was smart enough not to go into the one building that had the doors shut, the other guy wasn't, and got turned into paste as a result. Got away from that altercation with the satisfaction that I had seen an empty 30rnd AK magazine on the floor - that was good.

Despite that, right now my character is pretty geared. How? Those tent checkpoints the devs added in .61. I have consistently found better loot at those tents than I have at any big military base. It's pretty much exclusively clothes - but it's good clothes. I even found an assault vest and an M65 jacket. No guns, but I have a Winchester and an MP5 so I'm not even really looking for guns.

Hunting stands are great too, and I found the MP5 in one of those green guard houses in some village somewhere. Had a magazine in it too.

Most people do a loot run that hits as many military bases as possible in as short a time as possible. I loot all the hunting stands and random out of the way villages.

So I give up on military bases. They're shit and they're not worth the risk. Give me a deer stand and a backwater hamlet any day.

• Like 3

I dont remember when was the last time I checked a mil base :) so +1 for roadblocks...

I think that loot is very unbalanced at the moment. Since the introduction of the new tents at Tisy, military loot is unbalanced in my opinion. In 0.60 a regular loot run for me would be Stary tents, Veresnik military base and finally NWAF. If you do that run now it will not give that much loot, you will end up with perhaps an assault rifle and a magazine and probably some cloting and some other ammo and/or mags.

I don't mind if there is not that much loot but if you go to Tisy you end up with much and much more. My last run at Tisy I found 2 M4A1, 1 AK101 and a SVD, not to mention the multiple coupled STANAG mags, AK101 mags, SVD mags, clothing, etc.

If you compare Tisy to Stary tents, Veresnik and NWAF then Stary, Veresnik and NWAF has more tents, barracks, etc. so there are more military spawn points than Tisy but yet you'll find much more loot at Tisy. I wonder if the difference is because of the imbalance between NATO and eastern because you'll find much more NATO weapons and ammo at Tisy compared to the eastern weapons and ammo at all other locations.

Also for some reason Balota (town) spawns a shit ton of guns like repeaters, handguns (with attachments) and a shit ton of shotguns. I think this might even cause less guns to spawn in all other locations.

What I also noticed is that a lot of loot (re)spawns at a server restart which isn't the intention I think.

7 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

I So I give up on military bases. They're shit and they're not worth the risk.

This is exactly what I've said for a long time about police stations - these will always get my heart pumping, even in small hamlets, and 9 out of 10 times they are looted down to road flares. When I spawn on the coast, I don't even bother checking the police - a noticeable chance of getting a shotgun blast in exchange for virtually zero chance for any useful loot.

When it comes to military stuff, I don't have much luck with check points, but then again I don't even need that much of mil loot nowadays - civilian weapons work fine by me and have so much more ammo, while crafted gear provides more slots now. The only item I care about are gorka jackets for heavy rains.

If you do come back to the NWAF, remember to check out those high towers with mesh-like floors, they tend to spawn good weapons these days. But I understand your sentiments completely, military weapons come only useful in military areas, so stay clear of these and you're good.

Whatever place most people think is good spot will eventually become a bad spot, more or less. At least that's how things are supposed to work at the moment with the central loot economy. It's dynamic though. What's good tomorrow may be bad today, depending on people's tendencies. 

2 hours ago, IMT said:

I think that loot is very unbalanced at the moment. Since the introduction of the new tents at Tisy, military loot is unbalanced in my opinion. In 0.60 a regular loot run for me would be Stary tents, Veresnik military base and finally NWAF. If you do that run now it will not give that much loot, you will end up with perhaps an assault rifle and a magazine and probably some cloting and some other ammo and/or mags.

I don't mind if there is not that much loot but if you go to Tisy you end up with much and much more. My last run at Tisy I found 2 M4A1, 1 AK101 and a SVD, not to mention the multiple coupled STANAG mags, AK101 mags, SVD mags, clothing, etc.

If you compare Tisy to Stary tents, Veresnik and NWAF then Stary, Veresnik and NWAF has more tents, barracks, etc. so there are more military spawn points than Tisy but yet you'll find much more loot at Tisy. I wonder if the difference is because of the imbalance between NATO and eastern because you'll find much more NATO weapons and ammo at Tisy compared to the eastern weapons and ammo at all other locations.

Also for some reason Balota (town) spawns a shit ton of guns like repeaters, handguns (with attachments) and a shit ton of shotguns. I think this might even cause less guns to spawn in all other locations.

What I also noticed is that a lot of loot (re)spawns at a server restart which isn't the intention I think.

I think that's just how Tissy is intended to be. It is the furthest place you can get to from all spawn locations.

Edited by Solopopo

2 hours ago, IMT said:

I've not been to Tisy yet. I'm too scared. I got close, though... accidentally. I'm a big babby. I say 'military locations', I really mean the medium ones - or every one bar Tisy, NWAF, Myshinko and (usually) Stary tents (I avoid Stary unless I'm not well geared.) I used to love Zelenogorsk because I rarely saw people there - it was like nobody knew about it. Seems to draw the crowds these days, though.

The loot distribution is definitely pretty weird, though. I'll go an hour without seeing a single gun, then I'll stumble into a house that has a dozen guns strewn about it. I sometimes find houses filled with balaclavas and nothing else. It obviously needs tweaking, but it's getting better.

I might give Tisy a go, if only to say I've been. I'll be keen to see if I really do find good loot, because it's slim picking everywhere else. Having said that I see plenty of videos where people find incredible gear at all military locations, so I think I'm just unlucky.

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

fi youdo come back to the NWAF

I've not been to NWAF in several patches, even though I've only ever died there once. Hell, I've gotten more kills at NWAF than deaths. I just never really found anything, and wide open spaces wig me out. Even the tent city has minimal cover. I've never visited Myshinko tents for the same reason. What kind of insane commander would put a camp in the middle of a valley flanked on all sides by forest? That is the literal opposite of where any fortification of any kind should ever be.

DayZ stresses me out because I assume somebody is watching me at all times, and whoever is watching me is infinitely better equipped than I am. Odds are that if somebody is watching me all they have is a chambered Makarov. Hell, I'm more likely to be the watcher in any scenario. I love being a creeper and watching people through binoculars or a rifle scope. I don't necessarily have any intention to kill them (though if an easy shot presents itself I'll take it for shits and giggles) but I like watching people and seeing what they do. I don't really pursue PvP unless I have a distinct advantage (like it's obvious that they have no idea I'm there.) I run away from gunfire, though I'll often try and position myself so I have the greatest advantage should they happen to pass my way. I'm a big coward, basically. I fight dirty if I can, or I run away from the fights that I'm not forced into. I don't combat log, though, I just remain very, very patient and wait for them to check on my (presumed) corpse - at which point I have the drop on them. Fight dirty. Every time.

• Like 1

BeefBacon in all honesty, I find Kamensk and Tisy to be empty of players and very rewarding most times I pay them a visit.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skadefr0en said:

BeefBacon in all honesty, I find Kamensk and Tisy to be empty of players and very rewarding most times I pay them a visit.

Yeah Kamensk is okay. I started a new character last night, so I might make my way up to Tisy and see what's what.

Gave up on military locations.  Never been to Tisy.

Someone has put their cart before the horse.

• Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎02 at 8:19 PM, BeefBacon said:

I've never visited Myshinko tents for the same reason. What kind of insane commander would put a camp in the middle of a valley flanked on all sides by forest? That is the literal opposite of where any fortification of any kind should ever be.

Yeah...but you need to consider the context.

No Military commander has had to set up a base to defend against hordes of infected.

Sure....the wooded perimeter allows for covert observation into your base...but I think the way Myshinko was designed was to emulate a quickly-constructed staging area for troops and support during the final weeks of evac.

I like the idea of having to traverse wide open areas in order to get to high-value areas....adds risk.

Now we need outward-facing floodlights in these areas that can be energized via gensets..... THEN, anyone trying to raid high-value loot would have to traverse exposed lines of approach AND be partially blinded.

On 3/2/2017 at 5:19 PM, BeefBacon said:

I've never visited Myshinko tents for the same reason. What kind of insane commander would put a camp in the middle of a valley flanked on all sides by forest?

In fact, most Commanders do that very thing. As seen below.. 

DakPekDrPepper.jpg

wyoung_aerialview.jpg

19680000_Khe_Sanh_Combat_Base_Khe_Sanh.j

Yup.... Call that last pic "Kah Sahn Standalone"

And Nam Firebases could be close relatives of Chenarus bases, I suppose....seeing as the Infected are about as concerned for their own well-being as the enemy were.

And to reiterate, having light sources is something I would find immensely useful....and would finally make base building appealing to me.

I, as well, have taken to avoiding the Military sites...but for a slightly different reason... I just cant help feeling a bit underwhelmed by the "risk" associated with looting these locations. I honestly feel there should be another level of fear and intimidation when approaching these installations, other than just you knowing that your chances of getting greased increases 10-fold. Almost wish there were NPC guards or half-infected NPC to add additional combat considerations to the mix. The Mod definitely does a few things still better than the SA...but now I'm just being a whiner....no one likes a whiner...except....maybe...another whiner....and maybe Wine Stores....if they can't read or spell.

10 minutes ago, philbur said:

Yup.... Call that last pic "Kah Sahn Standalone"

And Nam Firebases could be close relatives of Chenarus bases, I suppose....seeing as the Infected are about as concerned for their own well-being as the enemy were.

And to reiterate, having light sources is something I would find immensely useful....and would finally make base building appealing to me.

I, as well, have taken to avoiding the Military sites...but for a slightly different reason... I just cant help feeling a bit underwhelmed by the "risk" associated with looting these locations. I honestly feel there should be another level of fear and intimidation when approaching these installations, other than just you knowing that your chances of getting greased increases 10-fold. Almost wish there were NPC guards or half-infected NPC to add additional combat considerations to the mix. The Mod definitely does a few things still better than the SA...but now I'm just being a whiner....no one likes a whiner...except....maybe...another whiner....and maybe Wine Stores....if they can't read or spell.

Yeah, the risk/reward isn't really there for me. I'd rather just have a hunting backpack and an SKS than some fancy military pack and an AK-101, especially if attaining the latter means entails a high risk of having my face blown off.

There's been WIP images of generators and such for the basebuilding, as I recall. Lights will almost certainly be a factor. I doubt pre-existing bases will have working lights, but maybe we'll be able to fire up a generator and light the bases up or something.

As for the images of other bases... eh. Not quite the same thing, and the angles make it very difficult to see the extent of the valley. On the second image the structures are on small mounds presumably overlooking the trees, and in the others there's a lot of open space surrounding the base. At Myshinko the trees go almost right up to the edge of the base, and the valley is so narrow as to offer an easy firing line right down into the base on both sides. It's not a good location. I could buy that it was hastily set up, or was designed to be effective against hordes of infected rather than soldiers, but I'd want to see more evidence of that - maybe lots of barbed wire, ditches, things that would slow down somebody who was sprinting towards you as fast as possible.

Hell, the castle builders of Chernarus were smart enough to build on hills to defeat hordes of angry peasants, I'm sure modern commanders could figure out a similar deal.

• Like 1

Hell...Those weren't angry peasants....those were gamers who pre-purchased No Man's Sky!