cs_wolf

DayZ Distractions

I love DayZ, and hope it succeeds in all its glory as one of a kind.

I have played DayZ Mod and play DayZ Standalone for a long time now, after playing for a couple of hours daily looking for players/loot/animals, it can become stale, so I started thinking of unexpected distractions to fill in those gaps. The best unexpected distraction I can think of at the moment is the Dynamic helicrash from the sky. Apocalyptically immersive and fun.

tumblr_naq22mFvpD1tsd55go4_1280.jpg

Be it RP / PVP / or a random encounter, it makes for great stories. Whoever played the DayZ mods that had this feature know exactly what I am talking about, you experience it once and desire it more and more.

The loot has an important role in this, the infected from the crash (pilots and crew) make it high risk high reward, the timing too has an important role (how often it occurs), I think 2 to 3 times a server restart in random locations is good.

tumblr_naq22mFvpD1tsd55go1_1280.jpg

Be it medical, military, civilian or even a actual survivor (player). You will have to question what it is (If the pilot was infected, if its aid from somewhere, military assistance/bandits, civilians trying to escape, players doing random stuff). The feelings this occurance brings is magical, you really have to experience it!

crashed-heli.jpg

I dont want AI, but if this feature needs AI to fly it then I am all for it, even if its just for this purpose, because it brings so much to the game. You find a heli already crashed on the ground its like (oh...), but if you witness the crash its like (oh my! go go go).

Here is two video examples showing how effective it is at distracting players during gameplay-

Dont doubt the fact that this gets your heart pumping, players from all over the area will see/hear this, there will be fights for the loot and survival, there will be stories told between groups and trading of the loot. Even the random good parts of the heli salvageable.

Hearing its engine in the distance, making players run after smoking heli's then hearing them crash and boom, ending up in random locations, exploring more and more screaming "Get to the choppa!".

1458568708916.jpg

I think DayZ needs this as a feature for its main structure.

If anyone finds more videos or pictures post it in here, thank you for reading and giving feedback :)

Edited by cs_wolf
  • Like 1

Looking at Breaks (and Smithy) video of the engagement, I would say it's a great idea.
Thanks for bringing it up. 

• Like 1

Swell idea, but I believe we expect this and much more in the final release. Can anyone confirm the status of scripted events, random encounters. etc. in the upcoming builds/beta/1.0? Will we get none/some/much? What about the AI mentioned above?

• Like 1

I'd like to see a mix. There could be some crash sites that spawn like they currently do - except these crash sites are a little older (a few days, weeks, years, whatever you like) so they don't produce any smoke. I'd like to see more crashes in the woods, in cities, so on. They shouldn't all be in open fields. You also have recent crashes which can be witnessed and heard. These should be much more rare, but spawn much better loot. They should be sort of like server events, with players in the vicinity seeing or hearing the crash and then going to investigate. The loot that active crashes produce shouldn't respawn.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 2

I am sure that these types on events will come to Dayz once Beta will be released.

Right not they have to tackle a huge ammount of improves and bugfixing with the new technologies that are going to be applied on the next patches (0.62 and 0.63(player controller)).

For sure we will have this with modding support, just take a look at the arma 3 mods.

Edited by EdStaffordZombie
  • Like 1

My confidence lies with those who will soon mod this game to new heights.

As for BI, they are literally focused on making a console game.. but that's okay.  

6 hours ago, lrishjake said:

My confidence lies with those who will soon mod this game to new heights.

Amen.

• Like 1

You have to count in the official background story of the game. The outbreak happened back in 2009 when UN came Chernorus to aid in helping them combat the infection before it spread to the neighboring countries.

By 2014 the infection had put down every government and military organization in the whole world - the only people alive today are naturally immune to the infection.

The tanks and helicopters crashed for a reason - the crew was infected. Meaning, the wreckages are at least 6 years old and crashed during the last days of the non-immune soldiers and people.

Edited by Skadefr0en

9 hours ago, Skadefr0en said:

You have to count in the official background story of the game. The outbreak happened back in 2009 when UN came Chernorus to aid in helping them combat the infection before it spread to the neighboring countries.

By 2014 the infection had put down every government and military organization in the whole world - the only people alive today are naturally immune to the infection.

The tanks and helicopters crashed for a reason - the crew was infected. Meaning, the wreckages are at least 6 years old and crashed during the last days of the non-immune soldiers and people.

Then why are they still smoking?

*giant hole shot into background story.

I always saw the smoking helicopters as hopeful.  Okay, not very hopeful for the poor buggers inside when it crashed but it was an indication that there was life outside Chernarus.  The rusty helicopters have been there for a long time.  But the smokers, they've only just happened which means in the world outside there remains enough infrastructure and people to fuel and maintain military helicopters...which is a positive thought, if slightly morbid.

Of course, whoever designed and maintained those helicopters are in for a right royal bollocking because their failure rate is appalling.

• Like 2