Storymaster

What is the Best Vid Capture for DayZ

What does the community recommend for capturing video while playing DayZ? I have tried Fraps, but it destroys framerate and interferes with Steam Overlay. I have tried Nvidia Shadowplay, but it is too dark and recording in DayZ at night time makes it impossible to see. (I have tried the aspect ratio change to make Shadowplay record lighter, but that is a hassle and only works intermittently--lost valuable footage fussing with Shadowplay.)

Does anyone have better recommendations for capturing this wonderful game?

To me the resolution switch fix is worth it for using ShadowPlay when you consider otherwise ease of use and video quality.

Your other option would be OBS Studio.  OBS is more complex than ShadowPlay, but it's pretty good.  Just note that for full-screen capture of DayZ you need to:

• Enable the anti-cheat compatibility
  • Disable Anti-aliasing in-game.

Otherwise you'll just get a black screen.

https://obsproject.com/

• Like 1

I use xsplit. Its working æike a charm. No need for anything. It works ?

• Like 1

Shadowplay.

There is nothing else to discuss if you are only talking about recording.

The issue is Shadowplay currently causes a "darkness" in the recordings, without the  use of various simple work around's. Search how to do that, and you will be very happy. 

I guess opinions differ. Personally, I choose OBS over all the others like Shadowplay and Plays.TV because it has all the exact functionality that I want or need.

If you just want recordings so nothing fancy, I would go for something like Shadowplay. But if you want seperate audio tracks and more helpful things I would go with OBS. It also is a bit complexer than the standard recording software so you need to probably follow a few tutorials for it.

Edited by IMT
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IMT said:

I guess opinions differ. Personally, I choose OBS over all the others like Shadowplay and Plays.TV because it has all the exact functionality that I want or need.

If you just want recordings so nothing fancy, I would go for something like Shadowplay. But if you want seperate audio tracks and more helpful things I would go with OBS. It also is a bit complexer than the standard recording software so you need to probably follow a few tutorials for it.

Any tips for improving the quality of livestreaming when using OBS for DayZ? (just curious...)

8 hours ago, FlimFlamm said:

Any tips for improving the quality of livestreaming when using OBS for DayZ? (just curious...)

I haven't streamed yet so I have no experience with that. I do know that having a fast enough connection and an high enough bitrate in your settings is important.

I think this would be your best shot for getting the best possible settings: https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

I use an Elgato HD60 to record and Xsplit to stream, works like a charm :) 

For some reason no one brought this up:

Shadowplay - Windowed Borderless Mode.

Open Geforce Experience - enable desktop capture.

Open Dayz - enable windowed mode in video settings.

Push CTL-ALT-ENTER to go into the borderless mode once the game starts. 

Record your gameplay without any issues whatsoever. For streaming, listen to the other advice.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

For some reason no one brought this up:

Shadowplay - Windowed Borderless Mode.

Open Geforce Experience - enable desktop capture.

Open Dayz - enable windowed mode in video settings.

Push CTL-ALT-ENTER to go into the borderless mode once the game starts. 

Record your gameplay without any issues whatsoever. For streaming, listen to the other advice.

Why to use windowed mode when using shadowplay? There is an easy method to record full screen and without the lighting issue (even at night time) and without the partial screen issue.

27 minutes ago, Asmondian said:

Why to use windowed mode when using shadowplay? There is an easy method to record full screen and without the lighting issue (even at night time) and without the partial screen issue.

Because you don't have to do any "fixes", easy or not. This is a one time thing, that permanently corrects the dark recording issue without needing to adjust anything in the game (other than windowed mode).

Why ask, why I offered help.. and not offer any yourself? That part, right there... is confusing as fuck man. :)

22 minutes ago, lrishjake said:

Because you don't have to do any "fixes", easy or not. This is a one time thing, that permanently corrects the dark recording issue without needing to adjust anything in the game (other than windowed mode).

Why ask, why I offered help.. and not offer any yourself? That part, right there... is confusing as fuck man. :)

I agree man, but when you play in windowed mode (at least for me) if you do it on night time the gamma option locks, and you cant see a thing (adding that some times you need to hide the taskbar and you got some fps drops in the record too).

Just trying to help.

3 hours ago, Asmondian said:

the gamma option locks

See, that is the problem. You use the gamma bar.

Never. 

• Like 1

My first question would be, what kinda hardware are we talking about. All mentioned solutions have their pro's and con's. But alot will be a nogo if hardware is limiting.
For me now, i7 7700K with 3400 16GB RAM and GTX1070, OBS studio on simple/indistinguishable quality/flv/x264. If you need mp4 to be able to edit the recorded video, use the File/Remux Recordings option in OBS.

On my previous build, an i5 3750 with GTX970 on a 2100 16GB RAM, ShadowPlay with it's 20 minute video dump. I played DayZ on a borderless windowed mode to counter the darkness issue. No issues in lag or FPS drop. Do note with the latest ShadowPlay update to recheck your audio device setting as it changed to default for me on the last update.

If your CPU/GPU can handle it - OBS Studio by far. Best codec and seperated audio tracks. Add VoiceMeeter Banana and Virtual Audio Cable into the mix and you got all the control you need. 

Have fun.

3 hours ago, lrishjake said:

See, that is the problem. You use the gamma bar.

Never. 

When you have the Shadowplay enable and working properly the game looks darker than normal and the software (shadowplay) records in at normal lightning. That’s why you need be able to move the gamma option even to see the crosshair.  If you want the devs send you the “hardcore true dayz player” medal because you play at night time with weapon flashlights and a torch on a first person only just say it, but that’s not what I’m talking about. Im 100% support the idea of a fix for the gamma boost like in the Rust update, but unless you play on a roleplay server you are going to die in a matter of seconds if you do it on a regular pvp server at night time. Don’t be so naïve and don’t make it so personal.

You might need a new monitor or something man.. I dont have any of those issues and quite frankly I see fine at night... I never use lights or torches or anything. :/

• Like 1