bfisher

All my guns and ammo couldn't protect me from getting sick and dying :(

Seriously, can someone explain the "sickness" mechanic?  How does one get "sick"?  Drinking pond water?  Getting hit by a zombie?  Eating undercooked chicken?  Did I just catch something in the air?

I felt like I was kind of sick (yellow) for hours. I had a full stomach (highest "energized" and "hydrated" levels).  Predictably, I needed to constantly drink, but fortunately I was right by a pond.  After what seemed like hours, I thought maybe the pond water was making me sick, so I decided to travel cross country and find a well.  Big mistake. After about 10 minutes I because dehydrated and VERY sick (red).  I did manage to find another small pond but couldn't drink fast enough and died.

So can someone please enlighten me on "sickness"?

I got sick from eating cooked chicken.. mouth tasted weird.. and it certainly was cooked.

Is this a thing? 

If you eat raw food you will get sick

If you drink out of a pond after taking damage and having any blood loss, you will get sick.

Only drink out of the pond when you are healthy, that was your problem my friend.

7 hours ago, lrishjake said:

I got sick from eating cooked chicken.. mouth tasted weird.. and it certainly was cooked.

Is this a thing? 

How was it cooked?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

How was it cooked?

Fully, not burnt, using a stick over a campfire. 

Seemed like a bug? But I was wondering if it was perhaps a feature? Like small chance of illness? It put me in stage 2 illness.. I eventually gave up, and committed suicide just outside of my camp. 

I haven't heard of that happening before, @lrishjake  I've seen people get sick pretty much every other way, but never from roasted chicken.  You should submit a ticket on the issue with your steam ID and the precise day and time this happened.  They can go look through the files and see what happened.

I saw them do this a week or two ago when someone got cholera from drinking well water out of a contaminated bottle.  (Yes, you can spread cholera by drinking from a water bottle or canteen while sick, and giving it to another person.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I haven't heard of that happening before, @lrishjake  I've seen people get sick pretty much every other way, but never from roasted chicken.  You should submit a ticket on the issue with your steam ID and the precise day and time this happened.  They can go look through the files and see what happened.

I saw them do this a week or two ago when someone got cholera from drinking well water out of a contaminated bottle.  (Yes, you can spread cholera by drinking from a water bottle or canteen while sick, and giving it to another person.)

Thats awesome 8)

On 2/19/2017 at 0:21 PM, lrishjake said:

Fully, not burnt, using a stick over a campfire. 

Seemed like a bug? But I was wondering if it was perhaps a feature? Like small chance of illness? It put me in stage 2 illness.. I eventually gave up, and committed suicide just outside of my camp. 

I had eaten some cooked (not burnt) chicken too.  

On 19.02.2017 at 7:17 PM, emuthreat said:

I(Yes, you can spread cholera by drinking from a water bottle or canteen while sick, and giving it to another person.)

Do they have to be low on health, too? As if it was them who was drinking from the pond?

@Kirov (DayZ)  I'm pretty sure that once a person has cholera, anything they eat or drink from can become contaminated.  Suppose you get cholera and eat once from a cow steak, then put it back in your bag; if someone else shoots you, and then eats the steak, they should catch cholera.
Same goes for water bottles, if you get sick and go to camp and drink all the bottles and pots to keep from dying, you could possibly get the whole group sick if the bottles are not sanitized.

That is my understanding of it.

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

@Kirov (DayZ)  I'm pretty sure that once a person has cholera, anything they eat or drink from can become contaminated.  Suppose you get cholera and eat once from a cow steak, then put it back in your bag; if someone else shoots you, and then eats the steak, they should catch cholera.
Same goes for water bottles, if you get sick and go to camp and drink all the bottles and pots to keep from dying, you could possibly get the whole group sick if the bottles are not sanitized.

That is my understanding of it.

What I meant was, do they have to be so battered as the patient zero when catching the disease. Normally, the odds of contracting cholera while in full health are so low that I think they are negligible. I got cholera (and rode out the most serious one) by drinking from a pond when I was so low on blood that I misclicked the purification and didn't even notice. So to pass cholera, is it required that the victims are in bad shape as well? Or does it apply also to healthy toons?

There are probably 2 different triggers. The one is the% chance of ponds and co. to get. The relative chance for the disease depends on the state of the character. Healthy = small chance to get sick / wounded or bad conditions = high probability. The other is the consumption from contaminated containers, there is simply a general chance on the item to transfer the disease, without considering the condition of the chars.

I have already got a cholera, and this could only come from a Cantine. My char was in all status in light green. Which was in 0.56 or 0.57..... 5 ingame houres... life at the pump then die .. no blood.

Edited by Sqeezorz

49 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

There are probably 2 different triggers. The one is the% chance of ponds and co. to get. The relative chance for the disease depends on the state of the character. Healthy = small chance to get sick / wounded or bad conditions = high probability. The other is the consumption from contaminated containers, there is simply a general chance on the item to transfer the disease, without considering the condition of the chars.

Any idea what are the chances for contamination? Seems like the information our Bio Dept would really like to know.

Is it possible/feasible that there are two variables? One for the contamination of a container, second for the contraction of cholera from that container? Just thinking aloud as a non-programmer how it can possibly work and how I can test it.

OK. Lets brainstorming. I think there is a variable on the character itself which is considered a chance / multiplier. If one is healthy, then this variable is deeper. The second variable is contained in the action / item / raw (water of pond). Both variables are then simply linked. So I see it in any case. The variable that is on the character is perhaps only the multiplier, the value on the item's% chance. The best value on char can be 0.5 (1.0 ?? / 0.1 ??) .. with a contaminated cantine with 100% the chance is then 50%. But these are all just conjectures. I have once seen in the deep of the internet a graphic with the% of cholera by Ponds .... unfortunately I can not find any more, is long ago and can not say whether it was about DayZ SA or DayZ mod.

4 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

OK. Lets brainstorming. I think there is a variable on the character itself which is considered a chance / multiplier. If one is healthy, then this variable is deeper. The second variable is contained in the action / item / raw (water of pond). Both variables are then simply linked. So I see it in any case. The variable that is on the character is perhaps only the multiplier, the value on the item's% chance. The best value on char can be 0.5 (1.0 ?? / 0.1 ??) .. with a contaminated cantine with 100% the chance is then 50%. But these are all just conjectures. I have once seen in the deep of the internet a graphic with the% of cholera by Ponds .... unfortunately I can not find any more, is long ago and can not say whether it was about DayZ SA or DayZ mod.

Another interesting to verify would be if the container contamination is "washed away" after one or more emptyings. To be sure, we'd have a lot to check and the procedure would be a pain in the ass (antibiotics seem a must-have).

Recently yet again I had nothing to do in DayZ, maybe this will give me some goal. I'll see.

59 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

I just have this fruit diet, never had a problem since :)

I noticed people tend not to bother and just drop their civilian tents in various places, including the NWAF airstrip, with some random useless loot inside. Only noobs will drink from a canteen/bottle found in a tent, but a half-eaten steak shouldn't raise any red flags. Not that (at the moment) I'm planning to manage server population spread by well-placed tents, but it is nice to have this option up my sleeve. ;) I just want to know if it's worth it.

Besides, that's precisely the kind of DayZ research I like to do.

Well, I sure hope I have to pay attention to everything I eat in game..

That sounds like sooooo... much.... fun. :/

Only eat free-range, organic loot that you picked yourself, and there should be no problem.  If you eat more than about a half-dozen apples a day in-game, I would like to see it mess with the lower GI tract.  Apples-only dieters are scum.

Also, I believe the disinfectant can be sprayed on items to kill pathogens before use.  I heard a rumor that any loot taken from zombies will have to be sanitized before use.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

........ I heard a rumor that any loot taken from zombies will have to be sanitized before use.

Yes I have already read. It was even spoken in this direction from the official point of view. Also in connection with Loot of dead players ... is called the longer a dead body there, the greater the contamination. The same with the Zombi-Loot. Was also in connection with the possibility of burying the body in the earth.

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Also, I believe the disinfectant can be sprayed on items to kill pathogens before use.  I heard a rumor that any loot taken from zombies will have to be sanitized before use.

Spray Mr Clean on some half-eaten chicken or Dean's kiwi to make it edible?? Me confused.

2 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Spray Mr Clean on some half-eaten chicken or Dean's kiwi to make it edible?? Me confused.

I don't know how it is going to work, but I probably wouldn't be eating kiwis or mackerel from zombies at that point.

Possibly you would want to clean a kitchen knife you found on a zombie, before using it to cut up pumpkins or skin game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I don't know how it is going to work, but I probably wouldn't be eating kiwis or mackerel from zombies at that point.

Possibly you would want to clean a kitchen knife you found on a zombie, before using it to cut up pumpkins or skin game.

Something about kiwi's seems to me an after thought change, from ground loot to infected loot since it is rockets infected body that seems to drop it.

In my experience I ate canned foods and drinks taken from infected corpses without suffering any disease