terminamus

imagine this map in DayZ Standalone

So this little bit here is the Chernarus map as we know it.

AWUhv1l.png

We don't have a river as this map shows. That makes me a tiny bit sad.

We would need like 600 player servers.

It's impossible anyway, the game engine can't support more than that current map, it also can't support huge rivers / waterfronts.

Edited by yazar8

On 2/14/2017 at 10:34 AM, ColdAtrophy said:

So this little bit here is the Chernarus map as we know it.

AWUhv1l.png

We don't have a river as this map shows. That makes me a tiny bit sad.

That river is in-game, actually, it is just a little piss-stream as opposed to the actual river it should be.

2 hours ago, Whyherro123 said:

That river is in-game, actually, it is just a little piss-stream as opposed to the actual river it should be.

Oh. I guess that's why I never noticed it. I'm gonna have to go looking now.

On 2/14/2017 at 6:44 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Not really...slave shards me boy...think of the possibilities!!!

THIS. I had always imagined that there would be a way of linking multiple large maps together, provided we didn't make it so that there were too few campable points of ingress and egress.

34 minutes ago, ColdAtrophy said:

THIS. I had always imagined that there would be a way of linking multiple large maps together, provided we didn't make it so that there were too few campable points of ingress and egress.

I think BI is one step ahead of us. Namalsk is done, we know this. Dean said there was going to be another map but at the end of development. The question is...has it been completed yet? Maybe it has. After all, they did buy Slovakian game developer Cauldron which brought in 25 developers. DayZ had 14-16 devs before that never mind the Black Element team in Thailand. I've heard the team is 60+. It would make sense to have a cell working on the new map, console stuff, etc. They're definitely not all working on .61/.62 stuff. 

• Like 1

I really wonder how complicated will be to make maps for Dayz. There are more than dozen maps for Arma 3, some ported and some made from scratch. 

Not to mention hundred of weapons created for Arma. When I started playing Dayz there were new mods and maps being released every few weeks. I really miss those days. 

31 minutes ago, igor-vk said:

I really wonder how complicated will be to make maps for Dayz. There are more than dozen maps for Arma 3, some ported and some made from scratch. 

Not to mention hundred of weapons created for Arma. When I started playing Dayz there were new mods and maps being released every few weeks. I really miss those days. 

I looked at a few guides for it... Gave me a serious headache :P

19 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I think BI is one step ahead of us. Namalsk is done, we know this. Dean said there was going to be another map but at the end of development. The question is...has it been completed yet? Maybe it has. After all, they did buy Slovakian game developer Cauldron which brought in 25 developers. DayZ had 14-16 devs before that never mind the Black Element team in Thailand. I've heard the team is 60+. It would make sense to have a cell working on the new map, console stuff, etc. They're definitely not all working on .61/.62 stuff. 

I don't think Namalsk is 'done', they just ported it over to test one of their modding apps or something or to show that it was possible to port over older/mod maps.  And if I remember right, Dean said they wanted to do a more Urban/City map AFTER release (as in they'll start working on it after or shortly before 1.0, not in time for it's release.)

3 hours ago, igor-vk said:

It's taken them years to get Chernarus to the current + state that it's in. It's because of the amount of detail that a map for DayZ requires. Open fields just doesn't cut it. The amount of work that this requires of a modder will depend very heavily on how good the mod tools are. It will also depend on how big of a map you're after. If you're anything like me, Chernarus is already starting to feel small despite the absolutely ridiculous proportions compared to other popular games with open worlds.

8 hours ago, igor-vk said:

From what I know of the mapmaking process, and from talking with a few map makers over the years, the process could be described as "Climbing a mountain in your underwear to get to a little store at the top, specifically to buy a pill that gives you migraine headaches, but the store may or may not be open when you get there, and even if it is, the guy who runs the place is a total asshole. But if you make it back home in one piece, oh man, all of that pain was worth it."

Taviana, a player-made map that is often praised for its design, versatility, and beautiful environment, took over 3 years to create (IIRC). It's one thing to make a map that is functional and relatively bug-free, but it's another thing entirely to do that and make it a beautiful, exciting, and believeable place to set a game scenario in. Creating a map for use in ArmA or DayZ is not something to be taken lightly - it takes a serious amount of work and commitment to get to the point where it's worth sharing with the community.

---

8 hours ago, igor-vk said:

It's important to keep in mind that when the DayZ mod arrived in early 2012, ArmA 2 had already been out for 3 years, and though it had a relatively small player base, there was (and still is) a very dedicated segment of that community focused on creating and sharing content, code, maps, and assets going even further back, probably all the way back to Operation Flashpoint (I say probably as it was well before I learned of ArmA).

So when the DayZ mod brought a huge wave of people to ArmA, those interested in modding had all those years of community assets to draw upon, allowing them to focus more of their time on other aspects of their mods. Since nearly all this community stuff was already compatible and/or designed for A2, compatibility issues were much less of an issue.

The changes that came in ArmA 3 usually required A2 assets to be converted in some fashion. That takes time - a lot of time, and a lot of work. ArmA 3 came out of alpha in Sept 2013, so we're just a bit past the 3 year mark. While I don't have the data to compare the number of community-made assets available then to the number available now, it feels like we have a fairly respectable amount.

When modding comes to SA, I think it's not unreasonable to expect that it will attract not only DayZ players who have been eager to make their own mods, but it will also attract a number of ArmA modders curious to see what can be done in an Enfusion environment.

All in all, I see a lot of good things ahead.

Edited by chambersenator

1 hour ago, chambersenator said:

"Climbing a mountain in your underwear to get to a little store at the top, specifically to buy a pill that gives you migraine headaches, but the store may or may not be open when you get there, and even if it is, the guy who runs the place is a total asshole. But if you make it back home in one piece, oh man, all of that pain was worth it."

Fantastic description. :)

Even if it's just a theoretical mock-up, I thought it would be cool to see what Central Kopec and North Trikani areas might look like if one expands out from the real-life area of the Czech Republic on which Chernarus is based.

So here it is, as a 3 image set - one as the basic map, the second that includes the real-life satellite view of the Czech Republic that is used for Chernarus, and the third is a hastily and badly animated GIF that transitions between the two. (note that this does not take into account the fact that Takistan has a significantly different terrain and climate.) Link to imgur album here

It's not inconceivable to imagine at least one of those two regions becoming a new map made by a group of people running a long-term project in the community. I'm fairly certain the game is capable of handling a map the size of the Central Kopec region - a rough estimate would put it about 35% bigger, making it just about the size of A3's Altis map. Given the optimizations and advancements since Altis was built, I'm pretty confident that as long as one doesn't go hog wild with large, sprawling urban areas, one should hopefully be able to avoid performance issues and having to resort to aliens coming and stealing all the furniture (for those unaware, apparently Altis was a bit too demanding on ArmA 3 at the time, which was resolved by removing furniture from buildings, and jokingly blamed on aliens in the game - newspaper images here and here, or at least, that's what I had been told). With the increasing density of once-populated areas in Chernarus+ compared to the original map, the Central Kopec region could be a way to get some of that true feeling of wilderness back, with the side benefit of that being a way to offset some of the demands that a larger map would bring.