skynet83

W,A,S,D Movement

My only wish is that the new dayz player controller will have physics / inertia for, forward - back - left - right movement like csgo and be responsive and predictable. CSGO handles so intuitivley and gives you a lot of control even in close quarters imo. Yes i know it is a twitch shooter and dayz is a simulator, it isn't the speed that i like about it but more the physics/inertia responsiveness and consistency. This video kind of explains about the inertia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFgi--IOcIcsgo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVFgi--IOcI

Edited by skynet83
  • Like 1

I think this is related to the weight system that many topics discusses and it could be definetly posible to have more "speed / physics" in movement with the new player controller.

Question: Did the actual dayz controller don´t have inertia? i think the game already havee quite some.

To me it feels like dayz and arma character movements have no inertia at all.. There is no gradual acceleration or deceleration of the character, the movement feels very start/stop as if the animation is responsible for the movement. Also i dislike how the wasd direction movement doesn't mix smoothly, and there is a sudden stop or it speeds up at some attempts to transition from forward movement to strafe left/right and back, this is where the "clunk" comes from for me. sometimes the animation is unpredictable depending on what you are walking on it suddenly changes movement speed when you didn't ask it to. Try moving around in a circle on the spot using only wasd, you will see what i mean. Ii find the current dayz movement to be laggy and unpredictable.

Edited by skynet83

Red Orchestra 2 is my favorite example of inertia. With a dedicated sprint key we could build inertia fast. When not using sprint acceleration would be slow for navigating indoors and around covers, an extra step would rarely ever be taken. I think you're right in that animations tie very closely to the unresponsiveness of player movement.

I believe this should be where we're heading to.

Edited by exwoll
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 11:23 AM, exwoll said:

I believe this should be where we're heading to.

we initially had something like that with the old controller system back when the alpha first game out put a lot of people were raging about it.  We never used to have the instant 360 spin that we have now.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, Guy Smiley said:

we initially had something like that with the old controller system back when the alpha first game out put a lot of people were raging about it.  We never used to have the instant 360 spin that we have now.

as far as i know it was just implemented like imput delay, no animations or physics and people just thought that it was dumb that way

38 minutes ago, exwoll said:

as far as i know it was just implemented like imput delay, no animations or physics and people just thought that it was dumb that way

Yeah I think he's referring to the negative mouse acceleration, which didn't really simulate inertia and kind of sucked.  There's no reason why we can't have inertia while still retaining 1:1 mouse movement.

Ahh i actually can't wait for when they decide to show a preview of the player controller. Like just a recording of one of their testers pressing the WASD keys and what it translates to on screen.