Tatanko

Do you play DayZ on an unusual setup? I want to hear from you!

Hello survivors! I am embarking upon a project to record information and hopefully create a central support resource for DayZ players who utilize an out-of-the-ordinary setup for enjoying the game.

I'm looking for things like high resolutions (2K, 4K, 8K), aspect ratios (4:3, 16:10, 21:9), multiple displays, macOS/Linux, VR, eye trackers, special configurations, and anything of that sort.

Pictures of your unusual setup are also highly encouraged.

My goals are:
1. Present users with out-of-the-box solutions for more "common" non-standard setups (i.e. 4K, Ultrawide, macOS).
2. Create tools and documentation to help users in configuring and troubleshooting less common setups.
3. Assist users with accessibility needs in finding acceptable alternative means to enjoy DayZ.
4. Indulge the curiosity of players looking to experience the game beyond a keyboard and mouse.
5. Determine what the DayZ experience is like at its absolute best and absolute worst, in terms of both performance and visual fidelity, and what hardware is necessary to reach those extremes.

What I need to know is:
1. What kind of unusual setup do you have?
2. What are the components that make it unusual?
3. What are the benefits or reasons for using this setup?
4. How does it work? What special efforts were needed?
5. What does it cost? Where did you get it?

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 4

I used to play in 16:3 until my old desktop died. 

GTX 650ti 2g and 3 cheap Walmart 32" RCA led 720 TVs set up in spanning @ 3840X720p

I built it for flight sims originally but found it really excelled in FPS type games especially playing solo as I do mostly having almost three times the FOV. DayZ specific I caught no less than a half dozen "wookies" out of the corner of my eye trying to be slick flanking me in what should have been out of my view cone. It was nice to be able to lay in a bush on a hilltop seeing that much of the horizon without having to move at all. Driving in first person you can pan right and see out the V3S back window in the right pane making backing up in 1pp less painful. WSG also excels at corner camping and circle strafing. 

ArmA and DayZ support triple head displays plug and play as far as I can tell.

The card was a future shop impulse buy, less than $150, the TVs were about $250 a piece, the computer was a $300 2007 barebones that I upgraded over it's lifetime, almost 8 years running 24/7.

I should be replacing it in the next few months, I'm debating doing 3X40" cheap TVs again or 1 good 40" and TrackIR, would love to hear thoughts on TrackIR and DayZ. 

• Like 2

I got used to play Dayz and Arma with TrackIR4 and CH Pro Pedals.  It took a while to get accustomed to both. The pedals are for leaning (default q,e).Pedal use needs some experience to get the feeling, but with this it is possible to change the stance fluidly... TrackIR also takes some time to get used to, especially without crosshair. It was a lot of fiddling around with dead zones and acceleration values. On the other hand it allows for more control and a more natural way of looking around.. And it makes things possible that wouldn't be possible without a lot of configuration on keyboard and mouse.

Edit: 4. Track IR: I have one with reflectors on a cap, it's basically useless in direct sunlight, so I have to make my room pretty dark first. In ideal conditions it works fine. Theres another version that uses active sensors, but It's more expensive. You could look into other brands as well. Theres a lot of freeware on the market I think.

5. Price: Around 250 euros for TrackIR and pedals? I'm not sure..

Edited by JackinatorLP
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JackinatorLP said:

I got used to play Dayz and Arma with TrackIR4 and CH Pro Pedals.  It took a while to get accustomed to both. The pedals are for leaning (default q,e).Pedal use needs some experience to get the feeling, but with this it is possible to change the stance fluidly... TrackIR also takes some time to get used to, especially without crosshair. It was a lot of fiddling around with dead zones and acceleration values. On the other hand it allows for more control and a more natural way of looking around.. And it makes things possible that wouldn't be possible without a lot of configuration on keyboard and mouse.

I thought TrackIR did lean?

I'm one of those people who squirm around in their chair leaning to peek even thought moving my head IRL doesn't change my perspective in game, figured TrackIR would be pretty natural.  

I was just thinking last night about how the box I had to make to support my feet at my new desk would make a nice base for pedals with a hacked up Xbox controller, now I wonder if I could map infantry lean and vehicle throttle/brake to the same inputs?    

I know that it is possible to lean in Rise of Flight, for example. And I'm pretty sure in Bohemia Games TrackIR only replaces the freelook option. You HAVE the option to Shift your head to the left and right a bit (microleaning :D ), but you can't fully lean with it. In the end, I think this guy knows best (27min video about DAYZ and TrackIR) Have Fun!

Edit: Apparently this is about DayzMod, but should be applicable to DayZ.

Edited by JackinatorLP
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

I ... now I wonder if I could map infantry lean and vehicle throttle/brake to the same inputs?    

Yep. That's one of the main reasons to use pedals. Forgot to mention the hotas on my desk... In the end that's why  sometimes it's only mouse and keyboard -  I don't want to plug in 4 devices, I want to play.. But I think with a special gaming setup this should be no problem for you :)

Edited by JackinatorLP