Sign in to follow this  
Baty Alquawen

Status Report - 7 February 2017

YOKywqr.jpg

Hello Survivors,

We have a new Status Report for you. Brian is talking about known issues and fixes what are we working now and Victor is sharing some news from animation department. We want to show you an interesting thread from our official Forum and you can find awesome song in Community Spotlight.

Contents This Week

• Dev Update/Hicks
  • Dev Update/Viktor
  • Handpicked: DayZ Forums News
  • Community Spotlight

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors,

This Status Report we're going to cover what the .61 Live Team are focusing on for Stable branch issues, I'll touch briefly on .62 - and then I'd like to give a little perspective on the work currently under way for the bulk of the team (Beta milestone).

Rest assured, the development team is well aware of a good deal of critical issues that have popped up on various builds coming through Exp/Unstable and onto Stable branch. Some of them we're working to address in .61 updates, and some will more than likely have to wait for Beta milestone (as we're on the edge of addressing some issues in technology and systems that won't be around in Beta).

The team has been able to make good strides on addressing server crash issues, but we're also tracking a good number of additional issues that have come in through the Official Feedback Tracker:

• Issues with the Central Economy group spawning items and clustering in some areas after extensive persistence uptime
  • Client side FPS drops from several causes
  • Issues tied to animation transitions at time of death
  • Client side network freezing in some cases
  • Remaining issues with vehicles from Exp/Unstable
  • "Ghost Infected"
  • Server Performance Issues

We're all aware that these issues are critical to everyone playing on 0.61 Stable, and we appreciate everyone’s patience and participation in utilizing the Official Forums and Feedback Tracker to better allow us to track these issues down. Hang in there and be patient, as mentioned before .61 hit Stable - a majority of the team has switched to working on Beta, and some of the issues might not make sense to spend time resolving as we're working on the .62 and Beta milestones now - but we've not given up on addressing them for .61. If you find any new issues, or have new data - please continue to utilize the Official Feedback Tracker, it might not seem like it helps but trust me - it *does*.

For .62 development, we don't have too much for you in this Status Report - however Adam (Sumrak) is working on putting together some tasty information on the .62 team's progress on their end for the next Status Report. Currently the .62 team is working on profiling the Chernarus with the new trees, and making adjustments to the forests based upon the data they gather from the profiling tools. There are some additional improvements on the visual fidelity side they are looking into - but I won't ruin any of that as Adam is looking forward to what he can tell you all in the next Status Report.

It (almost) goes without saying - but the Beta milestone isn't just a matter of plugging a few new things into DayZ. The Animation System ties into effectively everything you guys do in DayZ, and the New Player as well. Tie into this the goal of total removal of SQF support (The scripting language that DayZ utilizes for most every gameplay mechanic) and the teams undertaking starts to closely resemble a skeletal and critical organ transplant. A great deal of work has gone into recreating all of these SQF scripts and mechanics into the new Enforce scripting language over the last year or so, but even so - the risk and work that is required to coordinate across the team, ensure things are functioning as expected, and discovering exactly what impact the total removal of SQF has against the game is a significant amount of work. We're all excited (and a bit winded) at all of this, and understand that it may be frustrating not getting the fixes you all want for .61 Stable as fast as you'd like - but rest assured, the work that we're doing on the Beta milestone will be worth the struggle of legacy bugs on .61.

Lastly, In regards to the Official Feedback Tracker - the BI Webteam has recently added support for logging in utilizing credentials from Facebook/Google accounts for those who might not want to make an additional login just to report issues. We hope this lowers the barrier for some of you that might have data on bugs you're experiencing, but have held back on reporting them.

5MTLaPb.jpg

I know you're all eagerly awaiting visuals and news from .62 and Beta, and no one would love to share awesome stuff with you more than those of us on the development team. We appreciate all your patience, passion, and participation in the DayZ Early Access - 2017 should be an awesome year for DayZ and the road ahead looks like a lot of fun.

- Brian Hicks / Creative Director

Dev Update/Viktor

In my short update, I would like to share some news from the animation department. We have been playing around with the player character animations a lot recently. One of the latest additions include extra transitions for player. Now the character is able to move from stand or crouch run/walk/sprint to prone movement fluently. This does not limit the character in any way though, unlike in the past. If player decides during this transition he wants to stop - the character will stop nicely immediately.

We have created combat animations for player and are now about to start testing them in game. We want to find nice balance between how player looks and how it plays. This is a difficult topic as our game is set in multiplayer environment, which means we are bound by some limitations that are not present in single player games.

To mention other areas. Special interaction animations inside vehicles are being created now. Refining the animations is always in progress. We have revised the aimed movement for rifles, and we will focus on hand guns next. We also have received some new weapons from the Art team so we are adding animation sets to those as well.

And finally, don't forget you still have some time left to ask animation related questions for our next Q&A video. Head over to the official forums please and ask anything you are curious about regarding DayZ animations - anything that you want me to answer.

Cheers!

- Viktor Kostik / Lead Animator

Handpicked: DayZ Forums Topics

We're getting back to our idea of highlighting interesting topics from the official DayZ forums this week - despite the regular, ongoing discussion we're maintaining on the topic of both Stable Branch and Experimental Branch updates, there have been additional interesting topics that you may have missed. Here's four of them, conveniently handpicked and awaiting your replies!

Q&A with Animation Lead Viktor Kostik

OK, you have probably noticed this one already, but we really want everyone to be aware of it: DayZ Animation Lead Viktor Kostik is up next in our series of Developer Q&A videos and he wants to answer the animation questions you're curious about. Make sure to ask your questions under this topic, as that's where we'll be collecting them! 

EMQ6tIJ.jpg

"Who was killed by zombies in 0.61?" by igor-vk

Since 0.61 got out, we've been ensuring everyone that the infected are absolutely meant to be a serious threat in DayZ. While there is still a lot work to be done before the experience is final, the infected are already influencing the play-style of survivors in a way our design team expects - more often than not, frantically running through a city ultimately gets you killed, as witnessed by igor-vk and other survivors in a topic that beautifully describes how deadly the infected became in 0.61:

ENuNdM2.jpg

"Items that don't spawn anymore" by Weyland Yutani

For various reasons, we sometimes prevent certain items from spawning using our Central Economy settings. If you want to check whether an item you're looking for is indeed disabled or you're just being unlucky, make sure to read the following topic - other survivors might help you out, and we'll do our best to occasionally have our Community Manager Baty join the discussion:

xPAJckc.jpg

BETA Content: PKM discussion thread

To finish off our handpicked section, we've got Brian teasing yet another weapon that's waiting to be implemented into the game during BETA: the unmistakable PKM general purpose machine gun, a truly effective weapon of Russian origin, present in nearly every major armed conflict of the past 30 years:

HtTbfAk.jpg

Community Spotlight

Hey Survivors!

Recently, you have been letting us know on our social networks like Forums, TwitterFacebook, Reddit or Steam, that you are having issues with client crashes due to memory errors. Should this error happen to you, we would appreciate if you could send your crash dump files from the folder C:\Users\YourPCName\AppData\Local\DayZ to our feedback tracker. By submitting those files, you can help us to solve the issue.

Now let's move to a community content. I found a new and amazing rap music video about life in Post-Apocalyptic Chernarus with an unexpected ending. CamCANRUN proved again that he can create quality content.

You know that feeling when you need to try something else. Something special. Including some new Dayz experience. That is the reason why some servers organise themed events for their players. I myself attended few "Wild West" events with Magnum, Repeater and cowboy hat or competition with .22 weapons only. But my most favourite are medieval fights with bows, swords and knight helmets. Astros Legacy was also attending such event on Gents Of Novo server . You can find a recording of this entertaining event on his channel.

If you have something you want to share with us just tweet it to our official Twitter channel.

Header image by: iSkyfallz

- Baty / Community Manager

• Like 5

Wow. Nice read. Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks devs/all!

Hicks really nailed his section, good stuff, well put.

I can't imagine having new environmental elements....

We fell in love with Chernarus in the mod, then again when the Standalone released, once more with the Enfusion renderer, and now she gets a massive modern make over.

If only every girlfriend got this much sexier over time; wow!  :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baty Alquawen said:

YOKywqr.jpg

*left eye twitches*

Cant wait to see what Sumrak has for us. If only team would hire more map makers so we get two or three new maps soon after release.

I know .62 is next SR, but I can't wait.  Is BI using Silvador Pro, an updated version, or something entirely different? If updated, what was improved?

On 2/8/2017 at 1:05 AM, igor-vk said:

Cant wait to see what Sumrak has for us. If only team would hire more map makers so we get two or three new maps soon after release.

Proper map creation for RV/Enfusion titles take year(s) - it isn't like churning out a map for Duke 3D ;)

58 minutes ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Proper map creation for RV/Enfusion titles take year(s) - it isn't like churning out a map for Duke 3D ;)

Yes, the Chernarus map is a realy detailed Landscape.

The uniquely unofficial detailed map for Arma based title with postapokalypical flair was the map "Bamburgh" of the mod 2017 ... damn much work (~2 years) ... unfortunately she was given up ... my heart bleeds.

If Sumrak has no more work, then he should try to continue.

22 hours ago, Hicks_206 (DayZ) said:

Then better start early!  :)