grimsonfart

How's this game doing?

So, once again i have decided to check out SA as i haven't completely given up on it. I was here about 6 months ago asking the exact same question.. What has changed? What has improved? Should i bother taking a look at it again or would i be wasting my time?

Oh, i'm a bit curious, when i checked it out 6 months ago i believe it was in .59 or .60, and now it's in .61? Pardonne moi if i'm wrong but that is totally wack.

Edited by grimsonfart

0.60 was the "FPS update".

0.61 sound and network.

Still needs work on both the 0.61 stuff, but it's an improvement so far.

Gameplay wise you can pretty much expect the same as 6months ago, so if you did enjoy it then, go for it, if not I'd just wait until Beta tbh.

1 hour ago, grimsonfart said:

So, once again i have decided to check out SA as i haven't completely given up on it. I was here about 6 months ago asking the exact same question.. What has changed? What has improved? Should i bother taking a look at it again or would i be wasting my time?

Oh, i'm a bit curious, when i checked it out 6 months ago i believe it was in .59 or .60, and now it's in .61? Pardonne moi if i'm wrong but that is totally wack.

Yeah its totaly wack

.61 is headed in the right direction. The new sounds are awesome. The new spawns are great because it you explore parts of the map that you haven't been to often. Also, the new places/roadblocks added to Chernarus.

I will say though, this is the most broken patch ever released. The server lag is worst then .60 or previous patches IMO. There are also tons of game breaking bugs, but i'm a big Dayz fan and i will stick through it.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 11:03 AM, grimsonfart said:

LoL all you have to do is fire it up?

Here lets help him out more....

Fan site

http://www.dayztv.com/dev/status-reports/

Some online site they use

https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam?lang=en

A good up to date feeling from the testers

https://forums.dayz.com/forum/135-experimental-patch-discussion/

Some dayz announcements

https://forums.dayz.com/forum/76-announcements-information/

Like i said fire the game up...

edit: my opinion on this has changed. Day Z is significantly better. 

Edited by Solopopo

On 2/6/2017 at 3:32 PM, sneakydude said:

LoL all you have to do is fire it up?

Here lets help him out more....

Fan site

http://www.dayztv.com/dev/status-reports/

Some online site they use

https://twitter.com/dayzdevteam?lang=en

A good up to date feeling from the testers

https://forums.dayz.com/forum/135-experimental-patch-discussion/

Some dayz announcements

https://forums.dayz.com/forum/76-announcements-information/

Like i said fire the game up...

No, would take about 15 hours to download it on my current connection so i would rather spend that time downloading something else..

23 hours ago, Solopopo said:

How's it doing? It runs much smoother. Zombies are here and they are what they should be. Loot actually spawns now. Sounds actually work. That is pretty much all they have managed to come up with in 3 long years of development. Oh, you remember Day Z had all those things from the start? Yeah, they broke everything repeatedly and released it all back again and now they expect a cookie or something. My honest advice is not to waste your time. Any one fan of Day Z has already spent more of their time on the game than any one developer, which is what happens when you give game companies money for an unfinished product. A game like Day Z is demanding in terms of time, and it doesn't hesitate to ruthlessly take time away from you when you die for reasons out of your control, which still happens a lot. The ratio of time put in to fun had is extremely disproportional. Save yourself the heartache, monotony, and woe and do something else with your time.

Day Z is nothing more than an interesting experience at this point. It is far from being a game. The sad truth of the matter is that there isn't really too much more to expect out of Day Z either. Devs have already started talking about releasing the game. Previously they promised a 2016 release, which hasn't happened, but just the fact that they were considering it suggests that there really isn't much more to Day Z than what you see now. Their plan is to simply optimize the best they can and let the modding community do their jobs for them once the game actually comes out. Classic Bohemia Interactive. 

This game needs community content more than anything the developers can do, sadly i don't see much of a community anymore. If you noticed i have been here since the very beginning of the mod with probably around 1000 hours in total in which 2/3rd of the time was probably spent on custom maps and versions of the mod. My biggest gripe of the standalone ever since it was released was that it used the same map, and considering the community has been locked out for the past 3-4 years i think this is where things went really wrong, not to consider the fact that it's been in development for almost 4 years and in EA for over 3. Time killed the game.

7 hours ago, grimsonfart said:

No, would take about 15 hours to download it on my current connection so i would rather spend that time downloading something else..

15 hours? oh boy you need a much better internet connection if you plan to play dayz, or a new computer system.

Sorry your missing out.

8 hours ago, sneakydude said:

15 hours? oh boy you need a much better internet connection if you plan to play dayz, or a new computer system.

Sorry your missing out.

It's only temporary, will move to another place soon enough. And my PC is pretty decent (6800k, GTX 1060 which i will upgrade to 1080ti when it comes).

• Like 1

I hadn't played in at least a year before today. I ran around for a couple hours and had a blast. I love the new weather, that Zeds can have items on them or that guns can actually come with mags or attachments. I can't wait to see what's next.

On Monday, February 06, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Solopopo said:

How's it doing? It runs much smoother. Zombies are here and they are what they should be. Loot actually spawns now. Sounds actually work. That is pretty much all they have managed to come up with in 3 long years of development. Oh, you remember Day Z had all those things from the start? Yeah, they broke everything repeatedly and released it all back again and now they expect a cookie or something. My honest advice is not to waste your time. Any one fan of Day Z has already spent more of their time on the game than any one developer, which is what happens when you give game companies money for an unfinished product. A game like Day Z is demanding in terms of time, and it doesn't hesitate to ruthlessly take time away from you when you die for reasons out of your control, which still happens a lot. The ratio of time put in to fun had is extremely disproportional. Save yourself the heartache, monotony, and woe and do something else with your time.

Day Z is nothing more than an interesting experience at this point. It is far from being a game. The sad truth of the matter is that there isn't really too much more to expect out of Day Z either. Devs have already started talking about releasing the game. Previously they promised a 2016 release, which hasn't happened, but just the fact that they were considering it suggests that there really isn't much more to Day Z than what you see now. Their plan is to simply optimize the best they can and let the modding community do their jobs for them once the game actually comes out. Classic Bohemia Interactive. 

I didnt even read all of this.. cringe worthy.    You do know they are taking on a complete engine change right? 

"Broke things and reintroduced" 

So you wanted things developed on that shittty clunky legacy engine?

Eh.. I can't even.

Bless your heart. 

My honest opinion (from yesterday, first time playing in almost a year):

Game was smoother, frame rates are better. 

It looks just as good as it did (if you played when they added in fog) 8-9 months ago, with some improvements in places visually. 

There were some weird dots everywhere on the ground at times.. this was the only visual/performance issue I had. Besides a crash.. had one of those (6 hours play time).

Infected are more prevalent. They arent a real threat if your armed in any way, but they are more fun now. They still have minor issues, from what I noticed.. but its close.

Loot seemed fairly well placed. Food was damned near non existent, so be prepared to hunt every chicken you hear clucking. Ammo is scarce too, but not too badly. Just about right, if you ask me.. then again, I strayed away from almost all military areas. 

Found 1 heli crash.. it contained a "fair" amount of gear/loot. 

There are new areas, and changed areas all over it seemed. Some small changes.. some of the coast ones were big. 

All in all I had a blast. It took me over 5 hours to get what I call "geared up"*. I killed many infected along the path, but saw not one player.

*"Gear up" denotes player possessing a large back pack, large pocketed clothing, a hunting rifle with a scope and small amount of ammo for it. A pistol for protection, with some ammo. And the bare essential tools needed to survive.

Im gonna play again today.. 

Edited by lrishjake
  • Like 1

The landscape looks very pretty.  But world also feels pretty empty.

There are more zombies, but they really don't feel like a threat.  At least not the way they could be in the Mod if you accidentally agroed a whole town of them.  And the fact that you can never outrun them is pretty annoying.

I'm experiencing lots of rubber-banding again as of the 2/13 patch.  That wasn't there before.

I saw wolves for the first time by Tisy military base.  Their howling was a bit unsettling.

I still don't like the "I feel [blah blah]" alerts.  I feel like the mod gave you more visual cues and the food/thirst/health icons were better.

Overall, my impression is still of a very pretty, but largely unfinished game with a dwindling player base and not a lot of interaction with the environment.

Hi all,

I logged in for the first time in about a year today. I paid £20 for this game almost four years ago, and it's just not worth it. DayZ represents everything wrong with early-access games and open-world survival.

Games are fun because of game mechanics. The physics puzzles in half-life, the twitch shooting in COD, the levelling in Fallout - all are examples of great gameplay mechanics that hook the player in and work well.

DayZ is the opposite. It has a huge world and an awesome setting. The graphics and sounds are amazing (although you need at high-powered gaming computer to enjoy them fully, immediately shutting out potential players). But the game mechanics are unclear and never explained to the player. How do I craft? Where can I find items? How does health work? None of these questions are answered in game. The developers assume that the community will help itself - the blind leading the blind. They say that they are using player data from the Alpha to improve the game. But most players playing the alpha aren't told how to play the game. They learn everything about the game from the community, which immediately shapes the way they play the game - am I the only one who finds that ridiculous?

Currently, the gameplay requires existing knowledge of the game - it is impossible to pick up and play. It consists of running around the map finding enough items to stay alive, whilst avoiding/killing buggy zombies using buggy combat and unclear stealth mechanics. The player must use an invisible crafting system to make unknown items to help them find / create further unknown items to help combat unknown status effects / ailments.

Once the player has got bored of this, they will seek out other players. When they find them, they will either kill them, or team up and find other players to kill. They accumulate more and more gear until they get bored, are killed by another player doing the same, or die due to bugs.

Just read that through. That is not a healthy set of gameplay mechanics.

@maxhewitt- Actually, I think the fact that there is no "instruction manual" and the constant threat of PvP is the best part of the game and is completely in the spirit of what Rocket had in mind when he created the original Mod.  The intended effect is that you are dropped into this hostile and unforgiving environment with no gear or survival knowledge and hope you don't get killed by the steep learning curve.  A bunch of new players should very much be the "blind leading the blind", similar to Season 1 of The Walking Dead or the first 20 minutes of any zombie movie where people are just running around trying to stay alive.  

Having the Community shape the play style is sort of the whole point of an open world survival game.

I think the problem is that gameplay mechanics are underdeveloped so you almost don't need to do anything to survive.  I seem to remember the early days of the Mod where average survival time was something like 15 minutes.  Now, once you've found a pond and an apple orchard, it's pretty much until you accidently kill yourself or run afoul of another player.

• Like 1