Luke SoS

Wolves

Too OP in low pops, but if you're in a town/city with houses, they are very easy to avoid or hide from.

In high pops the lag is so bad they are just a joke. I ran around 10 of them in close quarters for shits and giggles and only got hit once then eventually ran away.

Wolves are manageable.  If you are out in the open, you have to take the offensive, or you will get hurt badly within 15 seconds of first bite.  Run figure-8 pattern around them, and make sure to follow up your hits for the kill, rather than putting two pistol rounds into 6 different wolves and not killing even one.  Shotgun is OP. *Lupara*

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

Wolves are manageable.  If you are out in the open, you have to take the offensive, or you will get hurt badly within 15 seconds of first bite.  Run figure-8 pattern around them, and make sure to follow up your hits for the kill, rather than putting two pistol rounds into 6 different wolves and not killing even one.  Shotgun is OP. *Lupara*

Can confirm. However, the sawn off is not sufficient if you run into a mega pack. After this happened, I started recording again so I will have proof next time. I ran into what I believe was 3 separate packs of wolves which had somehow converged into one. It was horrifying. 

• Like 2

First pack I ran into destroyed me.. it was my fault, paid zero attention.

Second pack, I saw first.. took cover, tried to hide and crawl away. Somehow they saw me, attacked and after about 10 mins and 1 dead wolf, they ran away.

Third pack, I heard first. Went prone, tried to hide. Nothing worked. Backed up against a guardrail, and used my sword to hold them off. 20 mins later, not one wolf seemed to be able to be killed and I passed out. Not once did I start bleeding.. 

It was rather traumatizing. :/

Came across this mess near Tisy.  bunch of wolves taking down a zombie.  Chased me into a nearby house.

B2b0yLb.jpeg

Edited by bfisher
  • Like 1

Here's a nice little video of me killing a pack of wolves with a fire ax inside the Tisy base.

• Like 1

Just because something is actually hard in Day Z for a change, that doesn't mean it's OP. I have yet to be killed by wolves.

14 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Here's a nice little video of me killing a pack of wolves with a fire ax inside the Tisy base.

I was in the same situation in Tisy, I had only 1 cr mag and that was it, It ofcourse couldn't kill the whole pack so I decided to use my stick (yeah, stick) and it took a while but in the end it worked, I waited for them to come near me as I waited at the stairs of the tower, they couldn't climb there.

Edited by yazar8

I had a sawn-off shotgun, @yazar8, as well as my FNX, FAL, Longhorn, and plenty of ammo.   I was just trying to see how many hits they take to kill with an ax.  It appears to be about 6.

• Like 1

Last night I had a massive pack attack me.

There were some odd things happening while inside structures and the wolves outside trying to attack me.. invisible walls I couldn't get past, etc.. 

Eventually I found a neat trick: Open the front door, let a wolf inside the house, close him inside with me, and axe him to death. One by one, I killed the entire super-pack with this method. 

• Like 1

Wolves can come through tents and walls.  Easy way to kill them 1 at a time.   The other thing i noticed is that after you kill a few, the others will run away.   Not sure if it's a Alpha (dog) thing or if when their pack is all but dead, the remaining run off..

• Like 1

3 wolves is the default number that must be killed to scare away the pack.  The result may be different if you use melee to kill them, but I need to test this more with larger packs.

Last time I tried, my hitbox got stuck in a field, and I holed-up in the Tisy admin building with 1500 blood left. LOL

On 23.02.2017 at 5:11 AM, emuthreat said:

3 wolves is the default number that must be killed to scare away the pack.  The result may be different if you use melee to kill them, but I need to test this more with larger packs.

So it's the number not the leader, after all?

Only once I tried to make the leader my last kill, but it was taking too long and one of the wolves instakilled me. Apart from that, I kinda always assumed that my third one was the leader.

First pack I encountered had only three and there were two of us - they didn't seem so tough. Second pack was seven strong and I was alone and scurd, died in about a minute after offloading Makaroni and as many Mosin as I could. Third pack was seven or eight strong and I was alone and low on health, last maybe 20 seconds.

I've been out of the game for about a year, I love these wolves. Before you could roam the woods as much as you want, carefree - it was often pretty boring when sprinting between towns. Feels good to have some challenging AI in the game again, precisely where they're needed.

I nearly died to wolves today.  I was trying to fight two of them at once, with an axe, in a confined area.  Turns out, you need a little elbow room to circle them, or they will petty much lunge and hit you every two or three seconds.

Thanks to Thurman, for shooting the last one and giving me a saline to regain consciousness.

If you have wolf problems, use a shotgun.  If you want wolf problems, use an ax.

On 2/22/2017 at 3:02 PM, plasma (DayZ) said:

Wolves can come through tents and walls.  Easy way to kill them 1 at a time.   The other thing i noticed is that after you kill a few, the others will run away.   Not sure if it's a Alpha (dog) thing or if when their pack is all but dead, the remaining run off..

Collision fix

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I nearly died to wolves today.  I was trying to fight two of them at once, with an axe, in a confined area.  Turns out, you need a little elbow room to circle them, or they will petty much lunge and hit you every two or three seconds.

Thanks to Thurman, for shooting the last one and giving me a saline to regain consciousness.

If you have wolf problems, use a shotgun.  If you want wolf problems, use an ax.

I had 0 weapons once, and had to a stone knife. It worked for awhile but they kept hitting me. So while they where in front of my character i started to walk backwards and cut off a stick to the nearby tree or ground not sure what one worked first. I was more worried of being hit too many times.

After i gotten my stick i started to just walk backwards with me, poking the stick at the wolves. 8 of them spawned around me, which was brutal. I went grey, and had time to b line to the first door i saw open. If it wasnt for the house being that close i was dead.

So now if i run into issues like this i turn to a stick, and walk backwards where and when i can to kill a few at a time.

This is only because i dumped all my mil gear, 1 backpack and a stone knife to run and gather more gear at my other camp site.

Otherwise i was toasted if i kept running with the wolves to my back... especially a pack of 8, not 6 or 4 it was 8.

Well I just encountered my first pack of wolves somewhere W by SW on the map. There were 5 of them from what I could see. Luckily I was near a house I just finished ransacking. I ran back and locked them out. They fucking wouldn't leave. I attacked a couple through the window, but didn't kill them. One got in somehow and it took 5 whacks with a pristine fire axe to down that one. But I think it was glitched, I couldn't loot it. I waited around, (no movement) for about 10 min and it seemed like they were leaving. After a bit longer, I crouch/walked inside the house, but those fuckers didn't go far enough away, and came running back! Well, fuck this, and I had to CB to another server. I had an SKS but not enough ammo to waste on those fuckers!!

The funny thing is iv never encountered wolves even once since the new patch lol.