nl

Random loud sound

Since 0.61 I sometimes hear a sudden loud sound, not every session but often. By lack of a better description It sounds like a whip and it always scares the shit out of me.

It sounds a bit like it has to do with voip, maybe a bug when someone uses voip in the game, it doesn't seem to happen when I am alone on the server.

-When it happens nobody is close by, I know this for sure.

-It is not my sound card / drivers, I switched back to my Realtek HD onboard sound after having used a Soundblaster card, I hear the sound on both.

-I use a 5.1 speaker setup and a standalone mic / webcam.

-I use "push to talk" and am sure the noise is not activated by myself.

Does anyone else also hear these sounds or should I assume it is caused by my own system?

I've randomly heard this sound also during .61.  To me it almost sounds like someone opens their in-game mic for a moment then releases it.  The first few times I was waiting to hear someone speak but after several times I realized there's something else going on.  In the case that it might be system and/or hardware related I'll leave some notes here:

System: Windows 8.1 64-bit, Intel i7-4710HQ, Realtek Hi Def Audio, nVidia GTX 860M

Soundcard: (laptop internal) Realtek Hi Def Audio.  Windows Settings: 2 channel, 16 bit @ 48000 Hz

Speakers:  (laptop internal, not default) Realtek Hi Def Audio.  Windows Settings: 24 bit @ 48000 Hz

Headphones (default speakers) :  Logitech G430 Gaming Headset (USB) Settings: 16 bit @ 48000 Hz

Also, in Device Manager under Sound, there are two more things 

-Intel (R) Display Audio

-nVidia Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) WDM 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

To me it almost sounds like someone opens their in-game mic for a moment then releases it.

Yes, that is exactly what it sounds like.

Okay I recorded the sound. In-game it is louder than in the video.

Opening inventory and the sound at the same time is a coincidence.

• Like 1

That's it!  Yours is much louder than mine though, it almost sounds like a nearby bullet whizz at that volume. Have you had it happen when you first start playing, or only after long sessions?  Because it occurred to me that it might be a delayed sound, like a desync'd rag tear or bandaging from earlier.    And since I seem to be the only other player who is hearing this - I also wonder if I would've heard "your" sound if I was standing next to you in the video...?  I'll make some notes on that the next time I hear it and report back.

12 minutes ago, GaryWalnuts said:

That's it!  Yours is much louder than mine though, it almost sounds like a nearby bullet whizz at that volume. Have you had it happen when you first start playing, or only after long sessions?  Because it occurred to me that it might be a delayed sound, like a desync'd rag tear or bandaging from earlier.    And since I seem to be the only other player who is hearing this - I also wonder if I would've heard "your" sound if I was standing next to you in the video...?  I'll make some notes on that the next time I hear it and report back.

It happens throughout a session, beginning, middle, end. Not related in my experience to delayed sound. I can enter a server and start walking / running and not eating bandaging or whatever and I will get the sound. Also the sound doesn't "feel" like a game sound but rather voip.  Like I said before, it won't happen when I am alone in a server. I am pretty sure it is related to in-game voip. When I recorded this sound I saw there were two players in the server who were connected to the server the exact same time (private server with gametracker) so I assume they were teamed up and using in-game voip to communicate, possibly causing this bug.

We tried to reproduce this bug on exp. but failed to do so. Getting into each others network bubbles, using radios, using in-game voip, shooting, hitting, using cars and trucks and so on, nothing produced the bug unfortunately.

Thanks to GaryWalnuts, IMT, Thurman Merman for helping to test!

Just a little update that I have not heard this sound again since we tried to reproduce it. Strange...maybe the devs did something without telling us about it ;)