Mookie (original)

Why I've stopped

Now before anyone flames me for being a nub, etc, I should point out that I have over 5,000 hours in game. Between about March 2014 and December 2016, DayZ sort-of took over my life (and that was not always a healthy or good thing).

I put a few hours into .61. I tried very hard to get going again - recognising that it was a new patch, and that I could not simply play the game with the same old routes and tactics. It was nice to have lots of Z's around again, but admittedly pretty wearing sometimes. I was lucky enough to get a Prigdorky spawn, so managed to get over to the mil tents near Kamenka.

Then I died to wolves. Then I stopped. And I don't plan on coming back anytime soon.

I recognise and understand that BI want to make a serious survival game. And I'm as sick as anyone about the rinse/repeat PvP game that DayZ has shown some inclination towards becoming. But for me , the dynamics of exploring, looting and trading that have motivated me for most of those 5000 hours have now simply turned into masochism for it's own sake. The best moments I had in game (and I don't think I'm completely alone in this) were around 0.47/0.48, when, briefly, there were animals to hunt, crashes to find, vehicles that worked, and genuine fun to be had. Persistence may have been a price worth paying, but my subsequent experience showed some really serious problems with the idea.

So if any of my old buds are reading this, I wish you all the best in the game and hope to come back when (perhaps?) the balance is a little different. Alternatively, perhaps the game will never quite be again what I found so great. That's perhaps not the worst outcome, and in any case I've certainly had my money's worth....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mookie (original) said:

I wish you all the best in the game and hope to come back when (perhaps?) the balance is a little different.

Mookie,

good to see you and yes you let the game take all of your free time up, maybe even more.

However, i see some flaws after 5000 hours of in game time, and countless other hours outside of game going over things.

Your forgetting we can have private pve servers just for the environment. If people like that, then they will continue to play there.

Next pvp is something that will exist no matter what you do, unless you turn off the damage model to other players (which should be able to be done)

Basically, you need to take a long break, your efforts and testing has helped the game progress thus far forward. I have to like both pvp, and pve environments with as much conflict as one can get. We have so many wanting it this way, that the majority have decided at this time to play that way.

I thank you for being a longtime member of the community and help progress it, remember that first.

When modding becomes available i expect things to go much differently, and if they make dayz, the duck hunters version then so be it.

(the balance you say, i have to ask you again? do you feel they need to make it all infected, pve enviroments and no interactions against any one player?) <--- again can be modded with the simple addition of adding a rating system. I do not want the base game to take away from what people, the majority of what i see people wanting.

and always remember we have 3 different types of players, 1.pve, 2.pvp, 3.pvp +pve we cant all force people in any direction.

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sneakydude said:

Basically, you need to take a long break

This. I played the living crap out of the DayZ when I first got it. Even still, I binge a bit here and there, but since 0.55 left Stable branch it has been mostly time spent in Experimental servers. It wasn't until 0.61 that I have finally got the real itch to play it again. For different people. the patch that will reinvigorate them will be different, of course, but the fact of the matter is that the OP has spent 5000 hours playing in a distorted, partially realized nightmare world. Even in a finished, largely bug free state this game will surely be a brutal experience and some of the nastier bugs in DayZ have been known to cause people to have full on emotional meltdowns. I have encouraged anyone who starts to feel even the smallest amount of weariness or burnout with this game to go play something else until you can come back and feel a strong urge to stick around. If a player is feeling fatigued by the game, the bugs, the glitches, the exploits, the pace of updates, etc. and they keep playing anyway as a part of routine or with a group of friends they play with often, I firmly believe that it causes that person to begin to resent the game and the developers, leading to the highly toxic threads we sometimes see erupt from people who clearly love DayZ and put tons of time into it, but can no longer have a rational conversation about any of it.

• Like 3

Anyone flaming you as a nub hasn't been around long enough to know your contributions, Mookie.   After 5000 hours of doing anything you'll need a vacation, you should definitely take one before your burnout completely.    Hope to see you come back in the future, good luck to you.

Many of us have been here since basically the start of dayz, and we know what it is like to get deep into the game, testing and so on.

You wont forget your fun, you will come back and you will enjoy it.

If i was to put 5000 hours into fly tying, would i stop? would i stop doing what i enjoy?

14 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

So if any of my old buds are reading this, I wish you all the best in the game and hope to come back when (perhaps?) the balance is a little different. 

Thanks Mookie.

The first few hours of this patch I constantly died. I couldn't handle the zombies and I gave up. Then I started it again and with the help of Red_Ensign's public camp I just ran like a madman to his camp just ate a few apples and made it there. Then I looted the military zones and I eventually started fighting the zombies properly. The zombies are broken right now, their hitbox is broken so the only way fighting them is using a stick because it keeps distance between you and the zombie. 

I ran back and forth, looted stuff and again made a small stash kind of thing. But the game wasn't as fun as it used to be. The trading post isn't active as it used to be now and not only that but the helis aren't worth to look for unless you need a specific item like the Smersh vest which I've found twice anyway. There are no vehicles, helicopters don't spawn guns, everyone is at Tisy loot cycling and server hopping. I need an SVD but I can't go and find it because I simply hate going all the way upto Tisy just to find an SVD. The SVD's place is the Russian Helicopters! Not a stupid static base (I love the base but why is that the only place an SVD spawns?) that is visited by 50 different people everyday. When all these come together and I didn't want to look for the other items I've been looking for I decided to raid a few camps so I started running from the most south all the way upto the North treeline (Zeleno forest) and found 3 camps. But these camps all had junk in it. "Junk" because there's not a single item I'd be like "ooh yes I need this." Neverthless, they were all around Tisy. Am I suprised? No, not at all. At the other patches I would usually find lots of camps around the Myshkino Tents and Lopatino etc. But this time they were all around Tisy. Why? Because that's the only place you'll find some good gear. It was just disappointing. 

So I got back to my stash with no hope. What am I supposed to do? Go to Tisy and loot cycle to find an SVD? I don't want to do that. I don't want to get killed by a server hopper that will magically appear behind me and kill me. I don't want to play this game in such "unrealistic" paranoia. I want to get paranoid when I'm about to loot a heli and I can't because I'm too afraid that there's a guy watching the heli. (Playing private shards isn't a solution for me because I like to play on 2-3 different servers at once)

About the wolves. God no. Requires 4 shots to kill and you have the risk of giving your location away if you don't have surpressed weapon. Even if you do the surpressor gets worn out quickly. But I've learned how to deal with those wolves, just hide in a building and they'll eventually go away.

Edited by yazar8

nub :-p

shame to not see you around, but I'm sure you'll be back.  I'm kinda taking a break myself, but the camp's stocked (yazar just left an m4 there).  just in case you do wander back...

• Like 1

It's weird how opinions differ. I actually think that that 0.61 is my favorite patch to date. I quite like that sometimes no matter how hard I try I might die as a new spawn. There is only one time this would have happened to me so far in a lot of hours on 0.61 were it not for a friend, rescuing me from wolves. I like the fact that the loot distribution, coupled with new coastal town design and fog etc has changed the dynamic of the game a fair bit. People now have much more of an incentive to travel than ever before. In every other patch to date most of the time the player base has gone off on their travels for 6 weeks or so and then got bored of whatever new thing was just released that they were travelling for and decided to just go to the fashionable coastal PVP town for some murder, death, kill! For the first time, it feels to me like that isn't happening and the game is better for it. I feel I can see the vision for the game and you have to be more prepared. If you've chosen to go inland and haven't got a weapon and haven't at least made a bow and got some arrows then that is the gamble you take on surviving the landscape. If you do have a bow and encounter wolves then you may be able to survive by climbing a hunting stand and killing them etc, you have given yourself a chance. If you are not prepared, you learn for next time.

For a lot of the game in the past, you could spawn where you invariably got killed and so it turned into a bit of a clusterfuck for many players of "get killed, mindlessly respawn until you're back in the town you died at, go for revenge." That really doesn't happen anymore, the game has tailored me to be far more likely to just accept the spawn I get and start a fresh, it's also made me loot more thoroughly before going too far from where I spawned. Players that run straight to mil bases as a new spawn have a lot more than other players to worry about, its far more of a gamble now and that too has helped the game from not being more of "the rinse/repeat PvP game" you speak of.

In the scenario you gave of a prig spawn, it seems really unlucky that in Dubky, Novoselky, Chapevesk, Ballota, Komorovo or Kamenka town you hadn't found something to fend off the wolves with. Usually by Kamenka base I already have a decent weapon of some sort and a pistol with a mag and bullets, I'm usually at the base to maybe to change my primary to something a bit better. Ballota is no longer a town where people are suiciding to spawn at, so it's not full of new spawns, its a town of serious threats and fully geared players. I kinda like that. The only issue I do have with the spawns is the repetitiveness of the Berezino to Solnichy spawns. It feels like I get them 7/8 in every 10 spawns which is grating on me a little. Upside I guess is that a fishing village spawn, a Skalisty spawn or an Elektro spawn feels so much better than it ever has done before.

All that being said, 5000hrs is a huge investment in time! It's a shame to see any player getting frustrated but sometimes a long break is exactly what is needed. ;)

Disclaimer: I haven't checked the spelling of the towns mentioned above, i'm sure they are all wrong but I typed them from memory. Your gonna have to put up with that as the reader. Just as you will have to put up with the fact that I just used "your" when I should have used "you're"... ;)

• Like 3

To be honest, I like the current patch but still the balance is indeed way off. If you do a Tisy run you end up with a M4A1 or AK 101 and 2 to 3 full coupled STANAG mags worth of ammo.

It's a shame that you don't like this patch. The only thing which you mentioned which isn't there are vehicles. Crash sites are there, there is more than enough meat running around the map. I almost managed to fill up an enitre military tent with cow steaks.

But I agree with everyone, if you don't like the current state of the game you should take a break from it which most of the people I play with did after a while when 0.60 dropped on Stable. Play some other games or do some other stuff and eventually that itch to play DayZ again will come back to you.

44 minutes ago, IMT said:

To be honest, I like the current patch but still the balance is indeed way off. If you do a Tisy run you end up with a M4A1 or AK 101 and 2 to 3 full coupled STANAG mags worth of ammo.

It's a shame that you don't like this patch. The only thing which you mentioned which isn't there are vehicles. Crash sites are there, there is more than enough meat running around the map. I almost managed to fill up an enitre military tent with cow steaks.

But I agree with everyone, if you don't like the current state of the game you should take a break from it which most of the people I play with did after a while when 0.60 dropped on Stable. Play some other games or do some other stuff and eventually that itch to play DayZ again will come back to you.

Yes but we do know that none of these loot locations, gear explosions, are going to be exactly what we see.

Next time it could be down east, who knows anymore. I think this is mere new loot locations, testing and making sure they spawn.

We have not had any conformation on any of these things, if any of the loot is going to look like this at .62, .63 etc..

We used to fill up at vybor too, now it is semi low on loot. Same with the airfield etc.. tisy is just new, new loot has to be tested in those locations too.

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Crash sites are there

let me complete that sentence for ya, shall I?

"Crash sites are there, with basically junk spawning apart from a few useful and limited items, no weapons at all but hey, you get to have lots of smoke grenades." (I got a collection of all color variants in pristine condition thanks to that)

10 minutes ago, yazar8 said:

let me complete that sentence for ya, shall I?

"Crash sites are there, with basically junk spawning apart from a few useful and limited items, no weapons at all but hey, you get to have lots of smoke grenades." (I got a collection of all color variants in pristine condition thanks to that)

Do you know why it was removed? It was done on purpose like every other area to fix an existing system.

7 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

Do you know why it was removed? It was done on purpose like every other area to fix an existing system.

The last time I checked the helis were working pretty fine but If there's a reason then it's fine. But what was the problem with them?

Edited by yazar8

7 minutes ago, yazar8 said:

The last time I checked the helis were working pretty OK but If there's a reason then it's fine. But what was the problem with them?

I know they worked on the sounds, but there was something going on with the way the heli spawns, and the guns. I am not 100% sure exactly what happened but if i am not mistaken the way they spawned was an issue.

Someone else more around that time explained it better. I think the random spawn system had to be redone??

Was not working as intended.

Edited by sneakydude

6 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

I know they worked on the sounds, but there was something going on with the way the heli spawns, and the guns. I am not 100% sure exactly what happened but if i am not mistaken the way they spawned was an issue.

Someone else more around that time explained it better. I think the random spawn system had to be redone??

Was not working as intended.

Well the regular spawn points are also bugged CLE is bugged as a whole. Some tents have like 5 SKS' inside them etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yazar8 said:

Well the regular spawn points are also bugged CLE is bugged as a whole. Some tents have like 5 SKS' inside them etc.

I think it was an exploit with guns and players were "farming" them at one heli. Which is why guns were taken away from helis for now. They shared the "5SKS" type issue in the most recent status report. So they are aware of where they are at.

Edited by therunningmanz
  • Like 2

I died three times in a row thanks to desync. I think - for now - I'm calling this game "DaySync". I just wish there was more fluidity in character mechanics and movement. That much should be smooth by now, I would think. I noticed today there was an update. And now I'm bleeding from the very first strike by every zombie I encounter. I'm trying one last time - for today - to get in some decent gameplay. 

Thanks, therunningmanz, for your excellent streams and videos.

I'm with Mookie...I returned recently to see how everything was going, and was incredibly unimpressed as far as the overall game experience is concerned. Yes, there are some improvements, but I think they can't see the forest from the trees IMO.

I personally never minded the PvP. It was a rush to have to worry about someone being around every corner while you were trying to scavenge for food. Not to mention is was just plain damn fun.

Upon my return, I have died from hypothermia, food poisoning (somehow from cooked chicken...), getting insta-killed by zombies that pop out of nowhere when I get a frame lag and roundhouse kick me for 9999 damage, and I genuinely killed myself after a 4 hour run of doing nothing but picking berries and drinking pond water because I literally couldn't find anything.

This game has become rather boring, I must say.

It is deep in process of changing those things, right now they are working on performance increases, and making sure the desync stays away. At this time i am getting anywhere from 60-150fps and i have never seen it go much smoother then now.

On 31.1.2017 at 2:45 AM, Mookie (original) said:

Now before anyone flames me for being a nub, etc, I should point out that I have over 5,000 hours in game. Between about March 2014 and December 2016, DayZ sort-of took over my life (and that was not always a healthy or good thing).

I put a few hours into .61. I tried very hard to get going again - recognising that it was a new patch, and that I could not simply play the game with the same old routes and tactics. It was nice to have lots of Z's around again, but admittedly pretty wearing sometimes. I was lucky enough to get a Prigdorky spawn, so managed to get over to the mil tents near Kamenka.

Then I died to wolves. Then I stopped. And I don't plan on coming back anytime soon....etc

Ah nerds breaking up with their games...will u try a human girlfriend now?

11 hours ago, DeatHTaX said:

(snip) I genuinely killed myself after a 4 hour run of doing nothing but picking berries and drinking pond water because I literally couldn't find anything. Have you tried fishing for food?  Eating chicken, perhaps???  GG? L2P?

This game has become rather boring, I must say.Try playing on ...
Experimental...

The quicker we can get vehicles sorted out on Experimental, the sooner stable will work as it should.  Come help. Quit bitching. Learn to play....

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 2

5000 hours... 5 fucking thousand on one game in two years. 

I'll show this thread to next person who tells me I spend too much time playing games. 

On a serious note, shame to see another regular go, I myself haven't played in quite a while. Although I only got 624 hours so far. Seems like both the downfall of the forums and the waiting time for the patches took (and still are) taking their toll on this game. 

Edited by General Zod

Yup. Take a break. I've got 300 hours in, and a lot of that is sitting in menus trying to join a server or it being alt-tabbed while I wait for a mate to load up the game. How you've managed to get 5000 hours into a single game is beyond me, but 5000 hours is enough to burn anybody out, even with a complete and fleshed-out game, which DayZ certainly is not.

Come back at .63 or something - or even beta. I'm unlikely to play again until .62, but then that's what I always do. Wait for a patch, play a few hours, knock it on the head until the next one.

Mmmm well, as some will have detected (and ignoring all the very wise advice in this thread), a combination of a hangover last Saturday morning, Red's staging camp, and being asked to 'curate' someone else's stash have led me back in.

The responsiveness of the UI seems to be at an all-time low, while the increasing hostility of the PVE and the lack of open spaces means that feeling of just being able to run around has gone. Equally, maybe the relative ease of 0.58-0.60 has made me a bit too soft.

I'll see some of you out there!