Baty Alquawen

Q&A with Lead Animator Viktor Kostik

Hello. Thx for this opportunity.

• Are you going to animate every use of every single items of the game? (for exemple removing bike elmets to eat or drink?)
  • Are you going to animate the player face for every states like eating, drinking, talking, being hurt, tired, sick, hot, cold...? (+zombies faces when idle alerted or dead)
  • Are the animations "tied" to the new player controler, if so, how many percent can we expect to see when the new controls are shipped?
  • Will there be a different animation for arrows, bolts and different caliber bullets (localized?) impacts on zombies and maybe on players depending on their movements as they get shoot?

And to finish, are animators going idle after a hard day work? ^^

• Like 1

Edit: was fixed already xd

Edited by NoCheats

1. Will the upcoming player controller involve/create a new skeleton?

2. Will things such as inverse kinematics (for stairs and sloping terrain) be added to the player model? If so, will the reverse ik also apply to zombies and animals so that they do not half float when going up stairs.

3. How will bayonets work with the new animation system?

4. How many types of injured animations are there? Will they have a huge impact on how a player moves, and how long does the effect last for?

• Like 1

Thanks for the opportunity! 

Will we have in the game an advanced particle animation for blood, bullet impact and damage caused by meelee weapons? (cuts, holes, etc, you know the "gory" things) 

Is there going to be animations for taking off parts of a vehicle? Such as using the lug wrench to take off the bolts of the wheel with an animation prior to the part coming off? 

• Like 1

HI. Thanks for doing this.

my question is in regards to weapon sway. currently i feel it is far to extreme and unrealistic. are you looking to make it like other modern shooters in the new player controller? thanks

Hi, really great to hear that you are making some changes to the animations and agree with the majority of what has already being posted.

IMO top of the list by a long shot is the jump action. The jump action is really poor, not only the long delay from hitting the jump key to actually jumping but sometimes it fails to work at all, usually resulting in me getting a beating by some rather angry infected.

Another one that sometimes bugs me is descending down ladders, can we have a control to slide down a ladder?, something similar to this: 

Keep up the great work, really excited for the next few builds.

Regards,

Faz

• Like 1

Are there any plans to animate 'nice' interactions with other players?  For example, shaking hands, hugging.   We can torture people, hit them, kill them in a whole variety of ways.  I just think it would be...lovely...if we could touch our friends or interact with them.

Braces for incoming derision.

Oh, yes.  Could we have some new underwear?  Thank you.

• Like 2

Hi ...

my question is why not put lights in game like ... light on thr road it will be amazing or some house.

Are there any plans for improving the chopped tree animation - like the tree falling slowly at first then quickly, crashing to the ground and leaving a stump behind?

Will the new player controller have any type of player inertia when moving at high speeds, eg taking a second to get up to full speed and slow down again, or slowing slightly when turning?

Will poses for infected be expanded in the future? I miss the crouching ones!

Do you plan unique animations for most crafting tasks like making arrows, making stone knives, gutting animals, using a sewing kit etc?

Is the ability to shoot from vehicles just waiting for the new player controller or are there other technical limitations still?

• Like 1

Who is the most annoying person in the office?
Who is the most useless DayZ player in the office?
What causes that wierd "stretched limbs" effect we sometimes see on the main menu, particularly with the improvised bow?

The best thing about DayZ for me is how heavy everything feels and how there's not many "arcadey" features in the game, i'd like to think that the current player controller plays a part of this, will the newer one ensure that the game doesn't lose its heavy and realistic feeling and not shift towards an "arcadey" direction?

Is there a chance of new ways to attack with the new animations? Example: using a button to toggle between stabbing with a stick and hitting with a stick. This same Idea may be used with using a firearm or firearm accessories as a melee weapon (pistol whipping and bayonets.)

Will there be a menu to select the player gestures from? Because the F keys are all taken up, and I reckon having a little menu to select them with would be cool.

• Like 1

Need animation devouring zombies survivors in unconsciousness

Edited by SergoMergo

Hello! Whether it's on the edge of the map DayZ huge wall instead of endless fields, collapsed checkpoint in them? Go through it is not possible, so it would be all over the map, something akin to the Dying Light. I think it will be atmospheric and the survivor could not in any case leave Chernarus.

Please can you talk us through how drinking animation will be when the new player controller is in? Paying particular attention to drinking from wells, will it be a "hold f while you drink, until you want to finish, then release f" or will it be more of the same in terms of a "press once and wait for your character to go through three "scooping motions" or similar to get one small amount of water.

I love the way DayZ is in terms of survival right now and the direction it is going in general, but the drinking animation really grates on me in its current state. It basically encourages people to spam the well, which if I'm honest I do. I try to play the game avoiding any glitches etc but the animation for drinking is just so painful as a new spawn at the moment. Granted it becomes far better when you have say a cooking pot. I really find the "three scoops for one drink" immersion breaking and it makes me frustrated and come "out of the character and out of the game" if I do it the normal way as I sit at the well. Some information on how this will work in the future would be really useful for some of us I think.

Second question - How much time in man/lady hours does it take to introduce a new animation and what are the steps involved right from having the idea to getting it in the game?

Edited by therunningmanz
  • Like 3